or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Apple most admired; Tim Cook spotted in Paris; Motorola workaround

Briefly: Apple most admired; Tim Cook spotted in Paris; Motorola workaround

post #1 of 53
Apple has been named the "Most Admired" company for the fifth year in a row. Meanwhile, Apple CEO Tim Cook was reportedly spotted in Paris on business earlier this week. Finally, Motorola Mobility has responded to a recent injunction by a German court against it by noting that it has already implemented a workaround.

Most Admired Company

Fortune pronounced Apple as the most-admired company with a score of 8.42. Google placed second on the list of top 50 companies with a score of 7.74. EMC, the second-most-admired computer company, had a score of 6.78.

"To say it was another big year for Apple would be a gross understatement," the magazine read. "With the passing of Steve Jobs, questions swirled around the company’s future. But under new CEO Tim Cook’s guidance, Apple continues to prosper."

Apple ranked first in its industry for nine different "key attributes of reputation," including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.

The publication's most admired list is generated through a survey partnership with global management consulting firm Hay Group. The surveys ask executives, directors and analysts to rate companies for each of the attributes.

Cook in Paris

French Mac site MacBidouille () reported on Thursday that, according to one of its informants, Cook was in Paris earlier this week for a business trip of the "greatest secrecy."

The report was unable to confirm the reason for Cook's trip, but it speculated that he may have traveled to the city to sign a contract, since he would presumably have only made the trip if his physical presence was required. The publication added that it would not be surprised to learn that Apple had bought a company in France.

Motorola workaround

Shortly after a German judge issued an injunction against several Motorola devices for infringing on a photo gallery patent by Apple, the company issued a statement declaring that it has already implemented a way around the patent in question. As such, the company said it expects the injunction to have no impact on supply or sales of its devices.

"Today’s ruling in Munich, Germany on the patent litigation brought by Apple concerns a software feature associated with performing certain functions when viewing photos in a ‘zoomed in’ mode on mobile devices," the statement read. "We note that the Court ruled that performing the functions in a ‘zoomed out’ mode does not infringe on this patent. We expect no impact to supply or future sales as we have already implemented a new way to view photos on our products that does not interfere with the user experience."

However, Motorola's statement contradicts earlier claims from patent expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents who said that any workaround by the company would "definitely degrade the user experience."

The legal battle between Apple and Motorola has heated up in recent months after several victories on either side. Motorola has won injunctions against Apple's implementation of push services, forcing its rival to announce to German customers that it has shut down iCloud push services in the country while it appeals the ruling.

Last month, Apple won an injunction against Motorola with its slide-to-unlock patent.

Motorola could also face an inquiry over its wielding of FRAND-committed patents against Apple. In order to submit patents to standards organizations, Motorola agreed to license some of its IP on Fair, Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory terms. Apple has complained to the European Commission that Motorola was unfairly using these standards-essential patents in its litigation.

Apple also appears to have taken some of the venom out of Motorola's injunction threats by submitting a license offer to Motorola that has been accepted as reasonable by a German appeals court. Mueller called the victory a "breakthrough" for Apple, noting that the company's appeal is "highly likely to succeed." At this point, were Motorola to reject Apple's offer, the appeals court could potentially label the action an antitrust violation.

Motorola had previously asked for a 2.25 percent royalty rate, but Apple balked at the figure. Pundits have labeled the rate unreasonable, given that other contributing companies asking for a similar rate would quickly eat up any profits from device sales.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 53
I spent two weeks in Paris. If I'd had the means of Mr. Cook, I would have never left.
post #3 of 53
The really amazing thing to me was that Google was #2. I guess people don't mind someone stealing all their private information and selling it to the highest bidder. Or stealing intellectual property left and right.

As for Motorola, I don't think Apple cares that much about Motorola's workaround. The real problem Moto has is going to be the European antitrust authorities - and Apple set Moto up to be crucified.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I spent two weeks in Paris. If I'd had the means of Mr. Cook, I would have never left.

How's your French? I've been a couple of times and have been determined to use the local vernacular! (Only however, where neither life nor limb were at risk!)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Apple ranked first in its industry for nine different "key attributes of reputation," including innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.

Meanwhile, in other news, Apple was also ranked first by the American Bar Association for bringing wealth and prosperity to lawyers worldwide. In accepting the award Apple's representative said, "You haven't seen anything yet!"
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #6 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The really amazing thing to me was that Google was #2. I guess people don't mind someone stealing all their private information and selling it to the highest bidder. Or stealing intellectual property left and right.

As for Motorola, I don't think Apple cares that much about Motorola's workaround. The real problem Moto has is going to be the European antitrust authorities - and Apple set Moto up to be crucified.

A lot of bullshit and FUD...

oh wait it's you, jragosta?...nevermind it's expected.

Question...

to anyone who believes all the bullshit and FUD that a simple BING search will show is complete and utter lies (or a purposeful distortion of the truth) yet continues to spread these lies like gospel day in and out...don't you feel bad about yourself a bit? That due to the fact that you LOVE one company so much you make up and spread lies about their competition...to make yourself feel better?

In other news Blacks all want to rob you, Jews are cheap bastards, White people are the devil, Cops are racist pricks, Apple is a greedy company that sells cheap shit at a premium, Barack Obama is the anti-Christ and a Muslim, Women are all sluts, Asians can't drive, Atheist are fighting a war on Christianity...etc, etc, etc.

These are all FUD...akin to your stupid ass posts.

If you want to be taken seriously by anyone other than other fellows in your circle jerk come up with some real arguments and not utter bullshit.

I do not tolerate Apple based FUD on Android forums I do not understand why everyone is so happy about Google based FUD on Apple forums...

Stop being so childish...
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

How's your French? I've been a couple of times and have been determined to use the local vernacular! (Only however, where neither life nor limb were at risk!)

In France, to make yourself understood -- you need to speak slower and louder...

...the ugly American...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #8 of 53
So Moto has a workaround already, and Apple has no push email.

It's SO hard to keep score.

This stuff is all stupid crap, with minor gains yielded from multimillion dollar lawsuits. .
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I would certainly have a condo there if I had a fraction of his money.
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Question...

to anyone who believes all the bullshit and FUD that a simple BING search will show is complete and utter lies (or a purposeful distortion of the truth) yet continues to spread these lies like gospel day in and out...don't you feel bad about yourself a bit? That due to the fact that you LOVE one company so much you make up and spread lies about their competition...to make yourself feel better?

In other news Blacks all want to rob you, Jews are cheap bastards, White people are the devil, Cops are racist pricks, Apple is a greedy company that sells cheap shit at a premium, Barack Obama is the anti-Christ and a Muslim, Women are all sluts, Asians can't drive, Atheist are fighting a war on Christianity...etc, etc, etc.

If you want to be taken seriously by anyone other than other fellows in your circle jerk come up with some real arguments and not utter bullshit.

I do not tolerate Apple based FUD on Android forums I do not understand why everyone is so happy about Google based FUD on Apple forums...

Wow. Are you allowed to talk to an apple fan like that? Here?

Is somebody giving you protection?
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

FUD is getting out of hand on all facets.

Apple is a slave-driver

Google steals and sells Joe Smith from Houston's data to whomever asks

etc, etc, etc.

The climate on all forums is poisonous and I have had my own fair share contributing to the mess (albeit in less FUD-y ways)

No matter how many facts you spout showing that Apple actually has better pay and environments than other manufacturers or that Google does not actually sell your private data..at all actually. People don't want to listen. And instead we get the most retarded fanboy wars since Young Earth Creationists decided to try and argue against actual scientists.

How anyone cannot be annoyed (especially here where it seems most people are both older and smarter than other forums) by the constant bullshit banter is beyond me.

Argue with facts...or don't argue at all, and if someone can effectively disprove your claims accept defeat, adjust your opinion, and move on.

Rationality should be a mandatory subject in all schools.

edit: Also, if you make a claim, and you are called to provide evidence to support your claim, and all of your evidence is questionable at best and bullshit at worst...drop your claim...that's a retarded position to have.
post #12 of 53
Quote:

Question...

I see that you've adopted the "we'll deny everything" defense. Probably not a bad choice.

In reality, Google's abuse of intellectual property is very well documented. See all the links I provided in the earlier threads.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 53
Quote:

I see that you've adopted the "we'll deny everything" defense. Probably not a bad choice.

In reality, Google's abuse of intellectual property is very well documented. See all the links I provided in the earlier threads.

Apple has lost their fair share of lawsuits (with many other pending lawsuits that may or may not go their way) as well...did they steal?

Your use of the word "Steal" is meant to inspire FUD...you know that.
post #14 of 53
Quote:

He/she doesn't need protection and neither do you, as much as you'd like to think that you do!
post #15 of 53
Quote:

He/she doesn't need protection and neither do you, as much as you'd like to think that you do!

He was being sarcastic. There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

Example, I've been banned 2 or 3 times so far for some minor infractions (latest was legit IMO) that are regularly violated by several pro-Apple posters on an almost daily basis...

They haven't.

I think I am one point away from perma-ban lol.

But before you lot get your hopes up I am actively trying to avoid offending several posters' delicate sensibilities.

edit: and for future references...it's "He"
post #16 of 53
Quote:

He was being sarcastic. There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

then you should not come to here. please just leave.
post #17 of 53
Quote:

He was being sarcastic...

I think I am one point away from perma-ban lol.

Oops...

Quote:

edit: and for future references...it's "He"

Noted - I could just have used your handle, sorry.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

then you should not come to here. please just leave.

were you born in 1992?

nm, I'm going to assume not considering you've been a member since 2002 though a 10 year old could've been on this site then I'm going to doubt it.

Anywho that question was just a question.

To reply to you...No.
post #19 of 53
Quote:

There's a mob mentality here (everywhere with share interests) and I don't align with it.

We should rally against mob mentality. Who's with me!

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #20 of 53
Quote:

Oops...

Noted - I could just have used your handle, sorry.

It's all good, a lot safer a bet than my "assume everyone is a he until told otherwise" routine.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

We should rally against mob mentality. Who's with me!

hahahhahaa, the reason I will always like you Solip.

post #22 of 53
Perhaps Apple is looking to acquire a semiconductor manufacturer to complement or replace Sammy?
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Perhaps Apple is looking to acquire a semiconductor manufacturer to complement or replace Sammy?

I believe Apple's ultimate goal is to be a one stop shop for itself...perhaps not on the manufacturing front (leave that to Foxconn) but when it comes to components.

Truth is, Apple is dangerous to the rest of the industry (not a complaint just saying) and I'm STILL shocked it is taking this long for someone to step up and be a closer #2. (In supply chain management and overall QC)
post #24 of 53
Quote:

I believe Apple's ultimate goal is to be a one stop shop for itself...perhaps not on the manufacturing front (leave that to Foxconn) but when it comes to components.

Foxconn is an assembler.

STMicroelectronics for example is a semiconductor manufacturer, with manufacturing and design centers located in Paris and Israel. (Just sayin')
post #25 of 53
Quote:

Foxconn is an assembler.

STMicroelectronics for example is a semiconductor manufacturer, with manufacturing and design centers located in Paris and Israel. (Just sayin')

that's what I meant...sorry.

but yea, I can see Apple not wanting to rely on anyone...though I'm not sure what the end result will be 10-15 years down the line, for now it's good.
post #26 of 53
Quote:

Just to clarify or comment: Apple seems to be mostly interested in those kinds of components that give it a technical advantage, not necessarily an economic advantage. some components, like LED displays, are better to shop around. Plus, if it purchased a display company, Apple would then get married to that kind of display and not be able to pivot sharply to a newer kind of display when available.

Quote:
Truth is, Apple is dangerous to the rest of the industry (not a complaint just saying) and I'm STILL shocked it is taking this long for someone to step up and be a closer #2. (In supply chain management and overall QC)

While you are right about Apple being dangerous because they are so dominate, Apple has also pushed the technology of mobile devices ahead dramatically by being bullish about supporting advances in batteries, memory, and displays with large multi-year commitments to buy. The manufacturers have gained from this, you and I have gained for this, and even the economy has gained during this soft time.

Apple can continue to look out for itself first, but it can also help a lot of the industries it partners with by being fair and responsible if it continues to have a mind to do so.
post #27 of 53
Quote:

Question...

Care to fill us in on how Google's new privacy policy which came effect today fits in with your little hissy fit?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #28 of 53
Quote:

So Moto has a workaround already, and Apple has no push email.

It's SO hard to keep score.

This stuff is all stupid crap, with minor gains yielded from multimillion dollar lawsuits. .

Apple has push email via activesync licensed from Microsoft, MobileMe in Germany on the other hand, apparently doesn't.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Care to fill us in on how Google's new privacy policy which came effect today fits in with your little hissy fit?

Care to tell me what exactly is wrong with it?
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Just to clarify or comment: Apple seems to be mostly interested in those kinds of components that give it a technical advantage, not necessarily an economic advantage. some components, like LED displays, are better to shop around. Plus, if it purchased a display company, Apple would then get married to that kind of display and not be able to pivot sharply to a newer kind of display when available.

While you are right about Apple being dangerous because they are so dominate, Apple has also pushed the technology of mobile devices ahead dramatically by being bullish about supporting advances in batteries, memory, and displays with large multi-year commitments to buy. The manufacturers have gained from this, you and I have gained for this, and even the economy has gained during this soft time.

Apple can continue to look out for itself first, but it can also help a lot of the industries it partners with by being fair and responsible if it continues to have a mind to do so.

Touché
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Cook in Paris

French Mac site MacBidouille () reported on Thursday that, according to one of its informants, Cook was in Paris earlier this week for a business trip of the "greatest secrecy."

The report was unable to confirm the reason for Cook's trip, but it speculated that he may have traveled to the city to sign a contract, since he would presumably have only made the trip if his physical presence was required. The publication added that it would not be surprised to learn that Apple had bought a company in France.

Or bought the country.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #32 of 53
Quote:

Care to tell me what exactly is wrong with it?

I don't know, I haven't read it or accepted it, I never use Google sites while logged in (to my Gmail account) and actively block any attempt to track my online activities.

The new policy has attracted attention from various governments around the world, yet you are quite dismissive of any negatives regarding it.
post #33 of 53
of course Apple "continues to prosper" They're following the road map that steve left them.. the real test is in five years when they have to start innovating or their own ... without steve there to tell them " this is crap, take it away and do kit again! "

thats when the real test starts....
post #34 of 53
Quote:

ALU (Alcatel Lucent) would make sense to me ...
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by whofan01 View Post

of course Apple "continues to prosper" They're following the road map that steve left them.. the real test is in five years when they have to start innovating or their own ... without steve there to tell them " this is crap, take it away and do kit again! "

thats when the real test starts....

I believe that Steve Jobs would say that those attributes that made him and Apple successful, any intelligent person could develop. This would be the purpose of an Apple University therefore, not to teach people to emulate Steve Jobs but to instruct in those core behaviours that are necessary in today's incredibly competitive environment to innovate. Ultimately you are probably correct and five years is probably a reasonable time frame.
post #36 of 53
Quote:

I love that part. The Appeals Court declaring the offer by Apple reasonable towards FRAND puts Moto in Check Mate--Accept or embrace AntiTrust.
post #37 of 53
Quote:

Quite right.

AbsoluteDesignz is making an absolute fool of himself denying well known facts about Google.

He also has posted a stream of offensive racisit comments trying to disguise them by describing them as FUD

He needs to calm down, get off his high horse, moderate his language and face reality
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, Motorola's statement contradicts earlier claims from patent expert Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents who said that any workaround by the company would "definitely degrade the user experience."

Yes, because being a patent expert also immediately qualifies a person as a GUI expert.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

Quite right.

AbsoluteDesignz is making an absolute fool of himself denying well known facts about Google.

They're not facts. They're opinions. Apple has been accused of stealing IP from numerous companies too. But I don't recall anyone here referring to them as "thieves" on the regular basis that Google does. Apple also runs an advertising agency now and if you don't think they're aggregating your user data to better advertise to you, you're a fool.

I still can't forget the story a while ago about how developers thought that Apple had changed the App Store rankings to partially base them on how much time users spent using the app. No one here bothered to question where Apple would get such data. Not a care in the world that it would involve violating a user's privacy to do such a thing.

Quote:
He also has posted a stream of offensive racist comments trying to disguise them by describing them as FUD

Please... He was calling out the ridiculous stereotyping that goes on in this forum. Say something positive about Google or Android and someone's going to call you a "Fandroid" or a "paid shill." Perhaps anytime someone says something positive about Apple, they should be referred as an "Apple iBot" or maybe as a "Sheeple."

Quote:
He needs to calm down, get off his high horse, moderate his language and face reality

Funny, that's exactly what he was suggesting for the overzealous members of this forum to do.
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Yes, because being a patent expert also immediately qualifies a person as a GUI expert.

That struck me too. What the hell does Foss know about Moto's coding?

And according to Moto, they have already worked around the restriction. So unless they are telling a blatant lie, Foss is talking out his ass.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Apple most admired; Tim Cook spotted in Paris; Motorola workaround