or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays

post #1 of 59
Thread Starter 
New server logs have discovered evidence of a device with an iPad Retina Display screen resolution, as well as iPad models running iOS 6, that are being used to browse the Web at Apple's corporate headquarters.

Combing through its server logs, Ars Technica found a total of 346 visits from a device running the unique 2,048 by 1,536 pixel resolution. While a resolution in and of itself is not evidence of a device, that size happens to be exactly double the resolution of the current iPad, with four times as many pixels.

Numerous rumors have pointed toward Apple's third-generation iPad sporting a Retina Display that will be a double-resolution screen, at 2,048 by 1,536. Author Jacqui Cheng noted that a search on the Web found there are "very few devices in current use that have this same resolution."

In addition, the site also tracked iPads that were accessing its site from Apple's corporate IP block at its Cupertino, Calif., corporate campus. Some of those iPads were found to be running iOS 6, an unannounced update to Apple's mobile operating system.

"The iPads that appear to be running iOS 6 are also using a slightly newer build of WebKit — The older OSes all show WebKit 534.46 while the ones claiming to be iOS 6 show WebKit build 535.8," Cheng wrote.




There have not been any indications that Apple plans to release a major new version of iOS with the third-generation iPad this month, but the server logs do suggest that Apple is hard at work on the sixth major upgrade to the operating system. Apple has yet to release iOS 5.1, which is still in beta.

Apple is expected to officially unveil its third-generation iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display at a media event next Wednesday in San Francisco. Given Apple's previous release schedules, iOS 6 is likely to be released later this year alongside a new sixth-generation iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 59
No way ... those connections have been established through a wormhole within space continuum, from a distant future ...
post #3 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

No way ... those connections have been established through a wormhole within space continuum, from a distant future ...

I'm not buying it either. Even though Apple is surely testing iOS 6 I think the most likely answer is the easily spoofed User Agent info by someone trying to have a laugh. I don't expect iOS 6 to be demoed until WWDC.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 59
that's impossible, everyone knows apple will whip up iOS 6 in a few weeks time between the ipad 3 rollout and WWDC. it's not like it take months of developing the OS and the development kit
post #5 of 59
Sky remains blue.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 59
No surprise that Apple would start testing iOS alphas about 3-4 months before the beta unveiling to developers at WWDC.

Apple does their own internal testing before they unleash it on developers.
post #7 of 59
iOS 6? What else could possibly be dumbed down any further?
post #8 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not buying it either. Even though Apple is surely testing iOS 6 I think the most likely answer is the easily spoofed User Agent info by someone trying to have a laugh. I don't expect iOS 6 to be demoed until WWDC.

Why would Ars lie? The IP addresses came from Apple's block. It is not so easy to spoof IP addresses and resolution as it is User Agents. Is someone at Apple intentionally spoofing Ars for a laugh?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #9 of 59
[insult removed]
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #10 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

iOS 6? What else could possibly be dumbed down any further?

iOS 5 was a nice improvement over iOS 4. I'm sure that iOS 6 will represent an even greater improvement. And when it comes out, many millions of extremely satisfied and happy Apple users will be downloading it and enjoying their new OS as soon as it's available. I can't say the same for another mobile platform which comes to mind, which mostly has a bunch of angry and ignorant users.

The OS of choice for retards and uneducated consumers is of course Android.

Only 1% of all Android users are even on the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS! Meanwhile Apple users with devices that are years old are running the latest version of iOS.

The overwhelming majority of Android users are still on Gingerbread, which is outdated, ancient and laughable!

I pity the fools who get suckered into buying and using such a shoddy OS.

Here's a little chart for all Fandroids to enjoy. How fucking pathetic is this chart?

post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumor View Post

The problem with speculation about these resolution entries representing the iPad 3 is that the new device should still report 1024x768 as its resolution. With the higher pixel density intended to increase sharpness rather than screen real estate, web content would appear far too small on the device if it reported itself at its true 2048x1536 resolution. This situation can be seen with Retina-capable iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch models, which report their resolutions as 480x320 instead of their actual 960x640 resolutions..

..............
post #12 of 59
OMG! OMG!! Apple is working on iOS 6?! I can't believe it!
post #13 of 59
Seems clear to me...

Mountain Lion developer preview out now >> general release at WWDC with new MacBooks.

iOS 6 internal testing now >> developer preview released at WWDC >> general release with iPhone 5 in Sept/Oct.
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why would Ars lie? The IP addresses came from Apple's block. It is not so easy to spoof IP addresses and resolution as it is User Agents. Is someone at Apple intentionally spoofing Ars for a laugh?

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.

The only thing remotely interesting about this story is the Ip address. People at Apple do have a sense of humor though. Maybe they made a bet to see if it would show up as a story.
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

iOS 6? What else could possibly be dumbed down any further?

Certainly not you. You must have hit your limit by now? However, you do keep surprising us! Keep it up. At least you're comments are good for a laugh.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Certainly not you. You must have hit your limit by now?

Was it Einstein that said the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits? I think he's also credited with saying that there are two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe.

There is genius in his humor, too.
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

iOS 5 was a nice improvement over iOS 4. I'm sure that iOS 6 will represent an even greater improvement. And when it comes out, many millions of extremely satisfied and happy Apple users will be downloading it and enjoying their new OS as soon as it's available. I can't say the same for another mobile platform which comes to mind, which mostly has a bunch of angry and ignorant users.

The OS of choice for retards and uneducated consumers is of course Android.

Only 1% of all Android users are even on the latest Ice Cream Sandwich OS! Meanwhile Apple users with devices that are years old are running the latest version of iOS.

The overwhelming majority of Android users are still on Gingerbread, which is outdated, ancient and laughable!

I pity the fools who get suckered into buying and using such a shoddy OS.

Here's a little chart for all Fandroids to enjoy. How fucking pathetic is this chart?


Lucky for you that your superior intelligence allowed you to pick an i device. Must be nice sitting way up their on your high horse looking down upon all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here's a little chart for all Fandroids to enjoy. How fucking pathetic is this chart?


Your chart didn't work, superior one , you are a credit to the i community.
post #19 of 59
This is completely believable imho. We know the iPad 3 is done, probably millions already made, and 95% sure it has a retina screen. So this is just some Apple developers testing an early build of iOS 6 on one. Doesn't mean iOS 6 is coming out any time soon.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Apple


Google has the most sporadic versioning system and release schedule. Chrome jumps an entire version with every update, I think they're up to 18 now? And Android's milestones are sometimes point releases. Doesn't make much sense.

What a disappointment and waste of time Honeycomb turned out to be. Totally skipped by just about everyone. Even Google was anxious to release ICS just to bury Honeycomb and leave it behind.

It'll be interesting to see if Amazon adopts ICS or if their Gingerbread codebase is so modified they won't be able to fold it in?
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't implying Ars was lying in any way but I see your point and withdraw my previous comments. I certainly didn't think it through.

Well in light of the comment below I don't know what to think now.

I wonder what the simulator reports from Xcode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Originally Posted by MacRumor
The problem with speculation about these resolution entries representing the iPad 3 is that the new device should still report 1024x768 as its resolution. With the higher pixel density intended to increase sharpness rather than screen real estate, web content would appear far too small on the device if it reported itself at its true 2048x1536 resolution. This situation can be seen with Retina-capable iPhone 4/4S and iPod touch models, which report their resolutions as 480x320 instead of their actual 960x640 resolutions..

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 59
If iOS6 is 2012, iOS7 is 2013, iOS8 is 2014, iOS9 is 2015....

I wonder if iOS & OSX will merge to become iOS X in 2016 on Apple's 40th Birthday.

Add ARM based MacBooks and iMacs to usher in a new era.

Just a thought lol.
post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Was it Einstein that said the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits? I think he's also credited with saying that there are two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity and he wasn't sure about the universe.

There is genius in his humor, too.

Human Nature
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The only thing remotely interesting about this story is the Ip address. People at Apple do have a sense of humor though. Maybe they made a bet to see if it would show up as a story.

I certainly would. It's not like it would be an elaborate prank. It certainly gets free press.


I've been saying that if Apple were to release a larger iPod Touc, which would mean an optimized UI and new SDK, that this would be the time to do it. That makes me think that perhaps iOS 6 could be a possibility. I don't think much of a possibility but I am thinking it may be smart to rule it out completely even thought WWDC seems more ideal.

That said, with ML coming in Summer and Apple still not yet demoing the new OS that seems ripe for WWDC, too. I don't think it makes sense for iOS 6 and ML to both be demoed at the same event. That leaves either iOS 6 gets demoed next week with ML demo at WWDC or (what I think is more likely) an event in April/May for new Macs that also demos ML and iOS 6 demo at WWDC, with next week being all about the iPad HD, AppleTV HD, and iTS HD.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Lucky for you that your superior intelligence allowed you to pick an i device. Must be nice sitting way up their on your high horse looking down upon all.

I don't look down upon everybody. I definitely do look down on Fandroids though and the view is mighty nice from up here where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Your chart didn't work, superior one , you are a credit to the i community.

http://www.cultofandroid.com/3688/oc...source=twitter
post #26 of 59
Hmmm.....

The iOS 5.1 Beta 3 was released Jan 9 and has been very stable.

AFAIK, there is nothing in this beta that is specific to the rumored retina display and other new features/capabilities of iPad 3.

Certainly, these new features/capabilities must be opened up to be exploited by developers.


I suspect that there will need to be a new release of iOS for iPad 3 and a new SDK for developers.


In the past, Apple has temporarily forked iOS for iPad -- then recombined it into the next iOS release.

So we could see something like the following on March 7:

-- iOS 5.1 release for iPhone and iPod and iPad 1 & iPad 2
-- iOS 5.2 release for iPad 3 and ATV 3 (temporary fork)
-- iOS 5.2 SDK release for developers (temporary fork)

Then at WWDC

-- iOS 6.0 SDK release for developers (all applicable devices)

Then at iPhone next release

-- iOS 6.0 for all iDevices

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...with ML coming in Summer and Apple still not yet demoing the new OS that seems ripe for WWDC, too.

I don't think Apple is putting too much emphasis on ML as the major focus of WWDC. Since it is still a Lion and not some other cat it will likely be similar to SL still being a Leopard. Mostly under the hood improvements along with the features that have already been leaked by the NDAs. Not enough to fill a whole WWDC IMO. So hopefully iOS 6 will get a preview.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #28 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

If iOS6 is 2012, iOS7 is 2013, iOS8 is 2014, iOS9 is 2015....

I wonder if iOS & OSX will merge to become iOS X in 2016 on Apple's 40th Birthday.

Add ARM based MacBooks and iMacs to usher in a new era.

Just a thought lol.

Is the X part of the OS X version number still? I know it was originally because it was the sequel to MacOS 9. But "Mac" has been dropped from the name now, so did they move the X out of the version number at the same time?

OS X v7.3
iOS v5.0
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've been saying that if Apple were to release a larger iPod Touc, which would mean an optimized UI and new SDK, that this would be the time to do it. That makes me think that perhaps iOS 6 could be a possibility. I don't think much of a possibility but I am thinking it may be smart to rule it out completely even thought WWDC seems more ideal.

Why would a larger Touch need a new SDK, wouldn't it just be the same as programming an iPad?
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't think Apple is putting too much emphasis on ML as the major focus of WWDC. Since it is still a Lion and not some other cat it will likely be similar to SL still being a Leopard. Mostly under the hood improvements along with the features that have already bee leaked by the NDAs. Not enough to fill a whole WWDC IMO. So hopefully iOS 6 will get a preview.

I would expect a proper demo of the main features. It won't be two demos at two events like they did in the past but it should be one. I'd like to see it on new MBPs with HiDPI IPS displays.. but who wouldn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why would a larger Touch need a new SDK, wouldn't it just be the same as programming an iPad?

I'm not following. The iPad got a new SDK when it arrived so why wouldn't you think a new size wouldn't also get an updated SDK?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #31 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is the X part of the OS X version number still? I know it was originally because it was the sequel to MacOS 9. But "Mac" has been dropped from the name now, so did they move the X out of the version number at the same time?

OS X v7.3
iOS v5.0

Not yet. About This Mac for ML still shows 10.8.

I wonder if this rebranding might usher in new OS X based PCs that aren't Macs. Perhaps something designed for Enterprise or emerging markets that are cheaper.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see it on new MBPs with HiDPI IPS displays.. but who wouldn't.

I'd like to see it running on new Mac Pros with Thunderbolt


Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if this rebranding might usher in new OS X based PCs that aren't Macs. Perhaps something designed for Enterprise or emerging markets that are cheaper.


If we don't get new Mac Pros soon I'm about ready to build a hackintosh with dual Sandy Bridge Xeons

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not following. The iPad got a new SDK when it arrived so why wouldn't you think a new size wouldn't also get an updated SDK?

I guess you're right, it probably would in the general case. But I am hoping they would find some way to avoid making devs deal with yet another resolution, for example using the iPad 1 resolution but squished on to a smaller screen.
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Is the X part of the OS X version number still? I know it was originally because it was the sequel to MacOS 9. But "Mac" has been dropped from the name now, so did they move the X out of the version number at the same time?

OS X v7.3
iOS v5.0

According Apple's official website the current version is simply OS X Lion and next version is simply OS X Mountain Lion. Interestingly there is no mention whatsoever of the version numbers anywhere. Not sure if this a recent change or if they mention the numbers somewhere else.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'd like to see it running on new Mac Pros with Thunderbolt





If we don't get new Mac Pros soon I'm about ready to build a hackintosh with dual Sandy Bridge Xeons

I'd be willing to bet you'll get your new Mac Pro... real soon now!

Additionally, I expect to see further upgrades to Apple's Pro apps to remove the remaining impediments to the pro editors out there.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #36 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not yet. About This Mac for ML still shows 10.8.

Ah ok. The "10" did not go with the "Mac."

Quote:
I wonder if this rebranding might usher in new OS X based PCs that aren't Macs. Perhaps something designed for Enterprise or emerging markets that are cheaper.

*Shiver* Maybe a good idea, but too reminiscent of the last time Apple did not have Steve.
post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Ah ok. The "10" did not go with the "Mac."



*Shiver* Maybe a good idea, but too reminiscent of the last time Apple did not have Steve.

I believe the disruption of the enterprise is well underway with the iPhone and the iPad

The new Apple is the minimalist, focused incarnation of Steve -- and that's his greatest legacy!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The new Apple is the minimalist, focused incarnation of Steve -- and that's his greatest legacy!

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

They've already dropped the price from $129 to $29 but when you look at their Mac growth and the crossover between OSes the cost per Mac development has probably dropped a lot more than their OS X prices have.

This also gives them the unique opportunity to market free OS updates with Macs to make sales even easier for consumers wanting to invest in a Mac and it also allows them to get a lot higher percentage of Mac users on the latest OS which helps their business costs, even to the point that if there is some bug in a 2 generation old OS they can inform the customer that they need to update to resolve the issue like they do with iOS.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

They've already dropped the price from $129 to $29 but when you look at their Mac growth and the crossover between OSes the cost per Mac development has probably dropped a lot more than their OS X prices have.

This also gives them the unique opportunity to market free OS updates with Macs to make sales even easier for consumers wanting to invest in a Mac and it also allows them to get a lot higher percentage of Mac users on the latest OS which helps their business costs, even to the point that if there is some bug in a 2 generation old OS they can inform the customer that they need to update to resolve the issue like they do with iOS.

I like that a lot!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #40 of 59
If the iOS 6 part of the story is true, it suggests something drastic enough is coming that a future device won't run on anything less. Otherwise, why not just call it iOS 5.2? Heck, even if that is the case, why not call it 5.2? I wonder what could be so big of a change as to require an entirely new version number?

It does seem odd to have alphas of iOS 6 before iOS 5.1 has even been released.

Wow - it's hard to believe that iOS will turn five years old this summer (assuming we base the birth of the OS on its public release, of course)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays