or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays

Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

This wouldn't surprise me either, especially considering that Microsoft is going to release an even more bewildering list of versions of Windows 8. What a great way to draw a start contrast between OSX and Windows.
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

If the iOS 6 part of the story is true, it suggests something drastic enough is coming that a future device won't run on anything less.

Yeah, every iPhone Apple has released.

Quote:
I wonder what could be so big of a change as to require an entirely new version number?

A new iPhone, just like every year.

Quote:
It does seem odd to have alphas of iOS 6 before iOS 5.1 has even been released.

Why? I'm sure that on the day of its predecessor's release, the OS X team will start building alphas of 10.9. 5.1 is a long time coming at this point. It's a long time coming because Apple wants it to be RIGHT. The battery fix, the other fixes; they want it to be the holdover until iOS 6 is released.

Quote:
Wow - it's hard to believe that iOS will turn five years old this summer (assuming we base the birth of the OS on its public release, of course)

It was perfectly functional at the January introduction, but if you watch the keynote you'll notice a few subtle differences between that OS and the shipping version of 1.0, so either date is valid.

And… I really want to put it back on my iPhone just for the fun of it.
post #43 of 59
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if at the Mac event where I think they will demo ML they change to their accounting for Macs to GAAP and announce free yearly updates of OS X for Mac owners. Jobs already said that Macs are just devices and all other devices they sell get free updates.

They've already dropped the price from $129 to $29 but when you look at their Mac growth and the crossover between OSes the cost per Mac development has probably dropped a lot more than their OS X prices have.

This also gives them the unique opportunity to market free OS updates with Macs to make sales even easier for consumers wanting to invest in a Mac and it also allows them to get a lot higher percentage of Mac users on the latest OS which helps their business costs, even to the point that if there is some bug in a 2 generation old OS they can inform the customer that they need to update to resolve the issue like they do with iOS.

Spring 2015 : Tim Cook announces that from now on, the Apple enormous recurrent revenues driven from immaterial content (advertising, music, films, press ..) enable the company to distribute its electronic consumer products at 99 cents unique price (at this point, the French people, who always like to complain, argue that this is unfair, because 99 Euros cents are a lot more than 99 US $ cents (especially at the level reached by US $ at this time).

At this point, analysts just give up : recognizing that they will never understand Apple business, except that it is exceptionnaly profitable, they simply strongly advise to buy Apple shares at any price.
post #44 of 59
Quote:

I'm not buying it either. Even though Apple is surely testing iOS 6 I think the most likely answer is the easily spoofed User Agent info by someone trying to have a laugh. I don't expect iOS 6 to be demoed until WWDC.

they are testing it internally.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Certainly not you. You must have hit your limit by now? However, you do keep surprising us! Keep it up. At least you're comments are good for a laugh.

Oooh, so smart. Someone says something bad about Apple product, hit him back with personal insult... is it possible you couldn't work out reply with better arguments? Or any arguments at all?
post #46 of 59
Good to see they are working on ios 6, that's why no one can be arsed to work on os x and we get trickle downs like reminders and notepad apps and gruber's a** kissing instead :roll eyes:
post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

....I can't say the same for another mobile platform which comes to mind, which mostly has a bunch of angry and ignorant users.

The OS of choice for retards and uneducated consumers is of course Android.

You're slipping and are not being your usual kind, loving self. You failed to mention that Android users are dirt poor....like you usually do.

And while you're at it, you might as well throw in destitute.

Although I must give you a small about of credit for using the more politically correct term 'uneducated' rather than 'stupid' like always but that point gets taken away for using 'retard'. \
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You're slipping and are not being your usual kind, loving self. You failed to mention that Android users are dirt poor....like you usually do.

And while you're at it, you might as well throw in destitute.

Although I must give you a small about of credit for using the more politically correct term 'uneducated' rather than 'stupid' like always but that point gets taken away for using 'retard'. \

Speaking of Android this unusual and surely welcome news for the Android camp.
PS: This is usually when someone creates an account to call me an Android Fanboy who shouldn't be posting on this site.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #49 of 59
Quote:

PS: This is usually when someone creates an account to call me an Android Fanboy who shouldn't be posting on this site.

Lolo
post #50 of 59
Quote:

Indeed, that is unusual.

Lockeed Martin won't even accept mail sent to them from Gmail, so I can imagine anything made by Google is out for them, and yet the government trusts Google with all their stuff.
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'd be willing to bet you'll get your new Mac Pro... real soon now!

Additionally, I expect to see further upgrades to Apple's Pro apps to remove the remaining impediments to the pro editors out there.

Dick, you sound as though you actually know something about a forthcoming release! \ Anything else that you'd care to share?
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why would a larger Touch need a new SDK, wouldn't it just be the same as programming an iPad?

I doubt they would have apps scaled down for a larger Touch. Easier to scale up. depending on the size they might not even need new art

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #53 of 59
Quote:

It's completely obvious you're a paid Google shill.

Anyway, did you also notice Google has upped their bounty to anyone who can hack Chrome?
It's now up to $1 Million dollars.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news...oit-chrome.ars

As ArsTechnica wrote, "Chrome is currently the only browser eligible for Pwn2Own never to be brought down. One reason repeatedly cited by contestants for its lack of attention is the difficulty of bypassing Google's security sandbox."
Google really wants to know if there are any security flaws it's missed and $1M should be enough encouragement to find them.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #54 of 59
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me how/why screen resolution would show up on web logs?
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

that's impossible, everyone knows apple will whip up iOS 6 in a few weeks time between the ipad 3 rollout and WWDC. it's not like it take months of developing the OS and the development kit

Yes, and kill the iPad 1, cripple the iPad 2 and spur even more sales of iPad 3's.
post #56 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone tell me how/why screen resolution would show up on web logs?

Because it always does? It's sent alongside everything else. It's sent because back in the day, websites were designed around whatever the most common resolution was, and it used to be 640x480. Then it got larger, and larger, and larger, and now that it's such a mix of so many it doesn't really matter, but the data's sent all the same.

And anyway, there's no sense in making a website wider than about 1,000 pixels.
post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's completely obvious you're a paid Google shill.

Anyway, did you also notice Google has upped their bounty to anyone who can hack Chrome?
It's now up to $1 Million dollars.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news...oit-chrome.ars

As ArsTechnica wrote, "Chrome is currently the only browser eligible for Pwn2Own never to be brought down. One reason repeatedly cited by contestants for its lack of attention is the difficulty of bypassing Google's security sandbox."
Google really wants to know if there are any security flaws it's missed and $1M should be enough encouragement to find them.

This is highly commendable. I look forward to the results.

PS: I wonder which browsers will not be updating right before the P2O deadline?

post #58 of 59
Quote:

This is highly commendable. I look forward to the results.

PS: I wonder which browsers will not be updating right before the P2O deadline?

It appears they all pay attention to the date. Most updated just a few days before the start of the contest. The only one updating at the very last minute in the 2011 contest was Apple's Safari. They dropped their's on the day the contest was to begin. It still didn't slow Charlie Miller down.

Interesting guy Charlie. Apple friend or foe?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/p...s-patches/8348
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it always does? It's sent alongside everything else. It's sent because back in the day, websites were designed around whatever the most common resolution was, and it used to be 640x480. Then it got larger, and larger, and larger, and now that it's such a mix of so many it doesn't really matter, but the data's sent all the same.

And anyway, there's no sense in making a website wider than about 1,000 pixels.

I've been thinking about this since yesterday when someone mentioned that the resolution reported by the iPhone 4S was not the actual resolution and that by inference the resolution reported by the rumored iPad 3 was probably not correct either.

To my knowledge the server itself does not take the resolution into consideration when sending the page. A web designer, however, can query the resolution and reformat the page accordingly if they wish. The notion that everything would be too small if the iPad reported its true resolution is not really true. Only if the web designer made dynamic changes to the page based on the resolution which very few people do. They usually look at the User Agent and reformat the page if they see an iPhone but rarely do they do anything different when the Agent is iPad except to possibly replace any instances of Flash with some other content.

The iPad/iPhone itself displays the web page at the proper scale for the screen size and resolution completely independent from the web server or the HTML as sent. Why the device does not report its true resolution, I do not know nor have I investigated because my server logs are set to the absolute minimum and do not record resolution in order to not bog down the server by writing data which I don't use.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Server logs show Apple testing iPads with iOS 6, possible Retina Displays