or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday began redecorating San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts with a massive, colorful banner featuring the company's logo ahead of next week's media event.

Workers began covering the glass windows on the center Friday morning in California. Apple typically hypes its product unveilings with decorations throughout the center.

As of Friday afternoon, workers were about halfway done with sticking the design to the center's windows. This year's graphic is a mix of vivid colors in the background, with a giant white Apple logo up front.

The bright colors and what appear to be paint splatters in the design are somewhat reminiscent of the theme for the media event Apple held in early 2010 to introduce the first iPad. As rumors of an Apple tablet were swirling, Apple invited members of the media to "come see our latest creation."

This year's invitation features a picture of an iPad with a fingertip touching the iOS Calendar application icon. The date on the calendar is Wednesday, March 7, which is when the media event will be held.




Apple has unveiled its previous two iPad models in events at the Yerba Buena Center. Last year's decoration was a black Apple logo on a white background, surrounded by colorful dots.

Invitations to last year's event featured the iOS calendar icon peeling back to reveal an iPad. It invited members of the press to "come see what 2011 will be the year of," and at the event Apple declared it the "Year of iPad 2."




The fact that the 2012 invitation says that attendees need to "see" this year's update has been viewed by many as a reference to the high-resolution Retina Display that is expected to be one of the defining features of the next iPad. There has been mounting evidence leading up to this year's event that the so-called "iPad 3" will feature a 2,048-by-1,536-pixel display, doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels of previous iPad screens.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 66
The multi-colored paint splotches must mean [cue nonsensical speculation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

doubling the resolution and quadrupling the number of pixels of previous iPad screens.



Thanks, guys.
post #3 of 66
2012 : year of iPad3
2013 : year of iPad4
2014 : ...


pretty predictable, uh ?

Crucifixion party for Apple competitors .... until they give up ....
post #4 of 66
With all the talk about what the invite "means" I found myself thinking of the invite to the first iPad debut. "Come see our latest creation". It had splotches of color all over it...

Like this one. Only these splotches in these photos look way hi-res in comparison.



post #5 of 66
Weird, both here and on MacNN it seems to be overlooked that the graphic is a close-up of the Retina Display icon.
post #6 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Weird, both here and on MacNN it seems to be overlooked that the graphic is a close-up of the Retina Display icon.

That's because it is in no way a closeup thereof.
post #7 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's because it is in no way a closeup thereof.

I guess we'll just wait and see once the entire window signage is complete.
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I guess we'll just wait and see once the entire window signage is complete.

I can look at both right now and tell you for a fact that it's not a closeup of that icon

post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

With all the talk about what the invite "means" I found myself thinking of the invite to the first iPad debut. "Come see our latest creation". It had splotches of color all over it...

Like this one. Only these splotches in these photos look way hi-res in comparison.



image: http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...010/01/top.jpg

Is that the original image from the email teaser in 2010? That looks like it's about 4:3 outline.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #10 of 66
The background color image is clearly an eye.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The background color image is clearly an eye.

Covered in blood and paint of all visible spectrum colors so as to hide all distinguishing features that would give it away as being an eye, right?
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can look at both right now and tell you for a fact that it's not a closeup of that icon…


Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons – especially along with a new announcement





(BTW - the imgur.com tool is pretty cool, thanks)
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons – especially along with a new announcement

Hey, if they want to change the icon they associate with Retina Displays, more power to them. I'm just saying it's not like that now.

Quote:

I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.

Quote:
(BTW - the imgur.com tool is pretty cool, thanks)

Imgur rocks, absolutely.
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Right, because Apple NEVER slightly modifies icons especially along with a new announcement

But his point was that it's not the same icon. In fact you can see at the bottom right that it's clearly meant to represent some dripping paint.

Bottom line is that this huge image 6 days before the event isn't going to offer us any in-depth clues that we don't already know. Any relevant banners will be inside and covered up until the end of the event.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #15 of 66
I fixed it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.

I don't care about the icons. I'm just disappointed with the fact that they discontinued the pro version. I use QT7 Pro if I have to do any exporting.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #16 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't care about the icons. I'm just disappointed with the fact that they discontinued the pro version. I use QT7 Pro if I have to do any exporting.

They need to bring those features back yesterday. There's no reason for me to have to have two QuickTimes on my computer and there's no excuse for YEARS without that stuff.
post #17 of 66
Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.

The primary I/O is something you see and touch. I think the email slogan just sounded good and fit the iPad. To wit, I don't think it's a hint to any new touch technology.

If I had to force some reason for touch being part of a new feature I'd simply suggest that you will be touching the HiDPI Retina Display on the next iPad.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #19 of 66
I wonder if there will be anything maps related announced at the event seen as though the maps app icon is visible sitting on the dock on the invite.

If the retina/high res display is on the iPad3, I wonder how long it takes for Samsung and Motorola to come out with a similar spec device. Definitely another year of the iPad and not the copycats.
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I wonder if there will be anything maps related announced at the event seen as though the maps app icon is visible sitting on the dock on the invite.

If the retina/high res display is on the iPad3, I wonder how long it takes for Samsung and Motorola to come out with a similar spec device. Definitely another year of the iPad and not the copycats.

Holy crap! I can't believe I haven't seen this discussed before. It's Maps, Calendar and Keynote in the dock. None of which are found there natively.

The Calendar app seems obvious because it shows the day of the event. Keynote can surely refer to the event itself but it could also mean that iWork will be updated. But Maps is the unique one here.

Around 6 months ago I started suggesting that all of Apple's map-based acquisitions could be coming to a head in 2012 if we look at their other app-based cycles. I also stated that the iPad would be the best place to showcase a new Maps app even though iPhone users would use it more. My reason was obviously due to the 10" display. Combine that with 265 PPI and you have a very impressive demo of the future of mapping.


PS: Today I read that Foursquare has dropped Google Maps. i wonder if we'll see a trend.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #21 of 66
This thing is going to have the same # of pixels as the Cinema Display, in ~ 1/9 the screen size. If true, it's just awesome. https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...36614608322560
post #22 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This thing is going to have the same # of pixels as the Cinema Display, in ~ 1/9 the screen size. If true, it's just awesome. https://twitter.com/#!/ankleskater/s...36614608322560

Not the same number but pretty damn close.
  • Cinema Display = 3,686,400 pixels
  • Presumed iPad HD = 3,145,728 pixel
To me the most impressive thing will be if they can get 10 or more hours of use on the iPad. It's possible that display unit doesn't need the dual-baclight system (perhaps because it's using AH-IPS) and could even be thinner if they were able to secure Gorilla Glass 2. That extra 0.81mm could be for the needed battery.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Holy crap! I can't believe I haven't seen this discussed before. It's Maps, Calendar and Keynote in the dock. None of which are found there natively.

The Calendar app seems obvious because it shows the day of the event. Keynote can surely refer to the event itself but it could also mean that iWork will be updated. But Maps is the unique one here.

Around 6 months ago I started suggesting that all of Apple's map-based acquisitions could be coming to a head in 2012 if we look at their other app-based cycles. I also stated that the iPad would be the best place to showcase a new Maps app even though iPhone users would use it more. My reason was obviously due to the 10" display. Combine that with 265 PPI and you have a very impressive demo of the future of mapping.


PS: Today I read that Foursquare has dropped Google Maps. i wonder if we'll see a trend.

The Map icon is probably just to signify that the location of the event. Nothing to over think.
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The Map icon is probably just to signify that the location of the event. Nothing to over think.

Indeed. I don't see Apple's three mapping companies coming into play until iOS 6.
post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The Map icon is probably just to signify that the location of the event. Nothing to over think.

Yeah, you have a valid point.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #26 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah, you have a valid point.

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but I think Tallest Skil is onto something.

Here's for iOS 6 to feature new map technology!
post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but I think Tallest Skil is onto something.

Here's for iOS 6 to feature new map technology!

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #28 of 66
Hurry up FFS
post #29 of 66
Apart from a better display, what else is the iPad3 expected to have? Better processor and more memory/storage is a given. Some say LTE, but I've not heard about anything else. I'm guessing perhaps a Thunderbolt port, but I'm not sure about that.

What else?
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Apart from a better display, what else is the iPad3 expected to have?

Cameras to match. 5MP in back, 2048x1536 in front.

Quote:
I'm guessing perhaps a Thunderbolt port, but I'm not sure about that.

Nah.

Quote:
What else?

That's really it.
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.

Accelerometer-controlled 3D elevation.

Navigation.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Anybody think they've worked out what the 'touch' aspect of this event will be yet?

Damned if I can.

I'm hoping "touch" means what they're announcing will be available immediately, as in "get it in your hands."
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm hoping "touch" means what they're announcing will be available immediately, as in "get it in your hands."

Now THAT appeals to me!
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
Reply
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But his point was that it's not the same icon. In fact you can see at the bottom right that it's clearly meant to represent some dripping paint.

Bottom line is that this huge image 6 days before the event isn't going to offer us any in-depth clues that we don't already know. Any relevant banners will be inside and covered up until the end of the event.

True, I get his point that it's not the exact icon as it is today. But my original point was that it's weird that neither AI nor MacNN even made mention of the graphic mimicking the Retina Display icon. But perhaps their reason is based on what you say it's such old news that Retina Display is part of the announcement, and the reveal of the signage is only important to them to the extent of symbolism that isn't already obvious.
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, if they want to change the icon they associate with Retina Displays, more power to them. I'm just saying it's not like that now.



I HATE THAT SO MUCH. Not even going to talk about iTunes. I've been using a replacement for both of their icons since iTunes 8 and QuickTime X, respectively.



Imgur rocks, absolutely.

And I hate the FaceTime icon. It has to be Apple's worst icon ever.

I'd show the image but I hate it so much!!! Besides... I didn't have a URL to store it. \
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

And I hate the FaceTime icon. It has to be Apple's worst icon ever.

I'd show the image but I hate it so much!!! Besides... I didn't have a URL to store it. \

Use Imgur. Probably the single best image site out there. I host all of my Apple Executive image macros there.



This is the icon I use as a FaceTime replacement. The image here is a PNG (since I can't upload the ICNS), but you can use Img2Icns to convert it in seconds.

I like it because it's evocative of the Aperture icon while remaining true to the color scheme of the real FaceTime icon. And ANYTHING is better than the trash that it is now.

The day they finally fold it into Messages will be a good day.
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even if comes with iOS 6 I still think demoing on an iPad would be more ideal to showcase the new Maps if they add the 3D features I think they will.

It's not likely that Apple will show their hand on Maps to Google until they have it ready. That would give the copycat too much time to copy it.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Use Imgur. Probably the single best image site out there. I host all of my Apple Executive image macros there.

[IMG...]

This is the icon I use as a FaceTime replacement. The image here is a PNG (since I can't upload the ICNS), but you can use Img2Icns to convert it in seconds.

I like it because it's evocative of the Aperture icon while remaining true to the color scheme of the real FaceTime icon. And ANYTHING is better than the trash that it is now.

The day they finally fold it into Messages will be a good day.

Thanks I'll try to take your suggestions. I like that icon you use too. Is there a place to get the icn? I don't have Img2Icn. I should use Imgur but I've always been paranoid with image sites. I guess I should up my meds!
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Use Imgur. Probably the single best image site out there. I host all of my Apple Executive image macros there.

image http://i.imgur.com/1HCY2.png

This is the icon I use as a FaceTime replacement. The image here is a PNG (since I can't upload the ICNS), but you can use Img2Icns to convert it in seconds.

I like it because it's evocative of the Aperture icon while remaining true to the color scheme of the real FaceTime icon. And ANYTHING is better than the trash that it is now.

The day they finally fold it into Messages will be a good day.

I've never had a problem with the icons. I experimented — one time, in college — with different icons but overall I just don't care or notice.

If I had to pick some I think are bad I'd pick VLC and Music on iOS... but maybe I just don't like orange. I certainly do prefer blue, I can say that least.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

It's not likely that Apple will show their hand on Maps to Google until they have it ready. That would give the copycat too much time to copy it.

I didn't mean to imply demoing it without releasing it within the standard time frame for iOS.

In fact, I can see Maps on the iPad being an impressive demo that Apple might release it on the iPad with whatever version of iOS it comes with and then later for the iPhone/Touch. I do realized that would be atypical but if they offer Siri built-in and voice navigation this might need a small open test forum before going live on their flagship. Still, I give this hypothesis less than a 5% chance.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Thanks I'll try to take your suggestions. I like that icon you use too. Is there a place to get the icn? I don't have Img2Icn.

Img2Icns is free, but here's where I got the ICNS files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I has to pick some I think are bad I'd pick VLC and Music on iOS... but maybe I just don't like orange. I certainly do prefer blue, I can say that least.

So like this (my VLC icon)?



I've never understood the traffic cone. It's just a dumb idea.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple begins preparing for 'iPad 3' event with colorful decorations