or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple looking to build out iCloud engineering team with a dozen openings

Apple looking to build out iCloud engineering team with a dozen openings - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Indeed. I never use the Ignore feature because I find it infantile. It's the digital equivalent of 'la la la, I'm not listening' and can be abused by users to block from their sight people with legitimate (but opposing) viewpoints, simply because they're opposing. That's just not the way to lead your life. Think of how much trouble has been caused by people who are mostly in the right ignoring where they're truly wrong because it was pointed out to them by their self-designated opponents.

Also, I don't use it because they need to be challenged for your second reason there. We have way more guests read the forums than users. If everyone ignores people they consider trolls, their posts are still visible to ALL guests. And if no one challenges the lies they spew, the guests will take it as accepted fact and then be hurt by it later (and not return, not become members, etc.).

We don't really have a troll removal policy. Unless the offense is blindingly egregious (if they're just plain insulting, if the account looks to have been created just to be contrary to the forum's purpose, or if they have a history of violent anti-Apple rhetoric), they're allowed to stay. I agree wholeheartedly that this shouldn't become a forum of nothing but Apple ][s, back-patting each other and everything that Apple does, but that might be able to be dialed up a bit.

Well, there's always the Feedback section. I'm sure we welcome all constructive comments on how to improve stuff.

But now let's get back to the thread. I could have sworn somewhere it talked about creating a dozen jobs? Sounds a little low to me. I don't suggest pulling from an unqualified pool, but for something as important to the future as iCloud, you'd think Apple would want a slightly larger team.

I must admit to liking the idea of using 'la la la' on occasions!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I looked into this awhile back. I also have VB running and the way the database is set up is that when you reply, the quoted part becomes part of your message in the same database field. The logical way to do what you suggest is with a regular expression rule. As you say, it is not rocket science. You would need another query in the show list function. The way it would work is it would find an open while adding it to the page output buffer.

Of course there could be a more robust implementation in that it puts the ignored text into a hidden div with a reveal button in case you did want to see the ignored text.

I didn't end up writing the code for myself since the board I have is private intra-company only but I have no idea why Jelsoft doesn't fix that.

It occurs to me it would be kind of interesting and fun to devise a parallel database where those the mods flagged as genuine trolls were sidelined to. This would be identical in every way to the standard AI blog, all the same posts plus theirs but only they see it. They could respond but their responses stay in this parallel universe ... no one sees but them.

This would mean no one would ever respond to them other than each other. Meanwhile in the standard blog they are simply absent.

It would be great fun for you mods to be able to watch and see if they realized what was going on and also if they start arguing with each other.

It must be my educational psychology training kicking in but I think this would be a heck of a fun experiment.
post #43 of 49
Maybe they can assign these new engineers to solve the Can't-Merge-AppleIDs-For-iCloud problem?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe they can assign these new engineers to solve the Can't-Merge-AppleIDs-For-iCloud problem?

How is it Apple's fault that the MPAA and RIAA are preventing that?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #45 of 49
Quote:

Source?

post #46 of 49
Quote:

Quote:

Source?

I second John B's request.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #47 of 49
Quote:

Source?

None. Let's think about it for a moment. Given the option to 'merge' Apple IDs and now that Apple allows free redownloads of music, books, and apps, one could sell off their entire iTunes account's worth of purchased content (say, $1,000) on eBay to the highest bidder (say, $40), who would then merge said account with their own stuff.

I can think of a dozen ways that merging could go sour, and I don't imagine that Apple has control over the transference of licensed media from one person to another.

I want it as much as the next guy. I have an old Apple ID from 2003 on which I make all my purchases and an iCloud account from the developer previews on which I've made none. I don't want my library potentially split, so I'll wait until we're given the option to merge.

Who also bets we'll also have to pay to merge when we're given the option?

post #48 of 49
Quote:

None. Let's think about it for a moment. Given the option to 'merge' Apple IDs and now that Apple allows free redownloads of music, books, and apps, one could sell off their entire iTunes account's worth of purchased content (say, $1,000) on eBay to the highest bidder (say, $40), who would then merge said account with their own stuff.

I can think of a dozen ways that merging could go sour, and I don't imagine that Apple has control over the transference of licensed media from one person to another.

I want it as much as the next guy. I have an old Apple ID from 2003 on which I make all my purchases and an iCloud account from the developer previews on which I've made none. I don't want my library potentially split, so I'll wait until we're given the option to merge.

Who also bets we'll also have to pay to merge when we're given the option?

You certainly make a case as to why Apple isn't just letting you merge IDs but your comment didn't come across as speculative.

Even without their contractual obligations I could see Apple not wanting to merge accounts. What if your account was hacked and then merged with another account? They'd have to be able easily reverse that. That might be more of an issue than it's worth.

It might be better for Apple to just allow you to have iTunes Store accounts on the same system like they way they do with iCloud, but even that has its own problems.

PS: When you go to appleid.apple.com and then Manage IDs they do offer something I hadn't seen before.
Make your Apple ID and primary email address one and the same.

Your Apple ID will be easier to remember, and your account will be easier to access and manage.

Change your Apple ID and primary email address to:
This does look to all pairing your primary email address with ID so you can interchange them as that can be verified. Personally, if I had any request it would just be getting rid of the @mac.com address from the system.

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What would help would be a community-based comment ranking system that would allow participants to rate other users' comments. Below a certain score, a post may not be automatically visible.

Hear hear!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple looking to build out iCloud engineering team with a dozen openings