or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels - Page 6

post #201 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

In my opinion, Tim would be best off if he never asks himself "What would Steve have done?"

He doesn't have to ask. He already knows. Apple has a strong record of late for focusing on what they feel is the best user experience for the 95%. Because that is who they are trying to get.

So Tim will do what he and the designers feel provides that experience. Just as Steve felt they should. Given that tech can't happen overnight it is likely everything we will see through the end of 2013 if not as far out as 2015 was started before Steve left last yer, in detail. With vague ideas already started for the ten years after that. Nature of the beast

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #202 of 293
If the info from Nomura Research is true, the flexible AMOLED could be the answer for a bezel-less Galaxy S III (or the rumored new Galaxy B series).
That could be one of the uses of that tech.

post #203 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

If the info from Nomura Research is true, the flexible AMOLED could be the answer for a bezel-less Galaxy S III (or the rumored new Galaxy B series).
That could be one of the uses of that tech.


That's a neat mockup but I wonder about its practicality from a design, construction and usability standpoint. Plus, my first though is that the display going to the edge of the bezel seems to me to be independent of engineering involved to make a solid device. IOW, why can't they bring the display to the edge now without wrapping it around the sides?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #204 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The Touch is in that list in name only, as it is an iOS device and shares the iPhone's screen size.

agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple didn't proliferate the iPod lineup just to be doing it, they shrunk it as technology permitted. For a single purpose device with limited user interaction this makes sense. For a laptop replacement it does not.

I agree partially. You are completely right about the Classic iPod vs Flash based iPod (music player).
That was two completely different demographics.

The classic was designed for "all of the music in your pocket" using a spinning HDD, the other was "a lot of music in your pocket" using flash. However, as soon as they started going after all these different colors and sizes of the flash based iPod, they stopped focusing on creating revolutionary products and switched to evolutionary product to fill different niche. About that time, iPod growth slowed down. Mini, Nano, I lost track.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...er_quarter.svg

and now sales have finally been shrinking for the past few years and will continue along this trend until they shut it down.

The same will happen to the iPhone and iPad if they do not keep innovating and keep doing things to stay revolutionary. When they stop being revolutionary then you will see 7" iPads of all different colors and special edition iPhones form U2. At that point they better have another revolutionary product in the market (i.e. AppleTV, whatever) or it will be time for me to start thinking about selling the stock. I hope that day never comes. This is why I don't want them to even consider resorting to selling a 7" iPad just yet. When you do that, it means they are out of ideas for innovation in the mainstream and will start to spread themselves into every niche to keep their numbers up.

It tends to happen to a lot of companies.. they go from selling a huge revolutionary product like a Model T (any color you want as long as it is Black) to producing the same evolutionary cars under different brands (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) in every color of the rainbow, differentating each make with different headlights, tail lights, interior trim, and special editions until they are on their backs. Remember the K-Car? It was revolutionary and saved Chrysler, and its evolution without further innovation also just about killed Chrysler too. I think their low point has got to be the Chrysler TC by Maserati. OMG. Talk about niche to the extreme. This was a company completely on its back and out of ideas.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #205 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Get off your hi horse for a moment there and understand that apple are in the market to both compete with other tech companies and make their customers happy.

It is hardly being on a high horse to say if you don't like something, don't buy it.

Quote:

I wonder what you ll be saying in a few months when that 7-8" hits the market...

I could ask you the same thing about when it doesn't.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #206 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I want a larger iPad that can roll up!

So you can smack Android users with it?

On a more serious note, I'm intrigued by Android but the Galaxy S2 and Note that I've played with are laggy. Gatorguy et al, wondering if you had any insight into this? I'm quite curious, to be honest, my biases notwithstanding. I do like the AMOLED screen and the vibrant contrast and colours. But how come the animations and transitions aren't as smooth as one would expect?
post #207 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPT View Post

I don't have a clue, but I never said that the 7" was for you, however it would be pretty good for me, and I believe a lot of others, including some people who make go with Android.

I disagree. Apple doesn't make products because they are missing out on some sales. I truly believe a 7" iPad just isn't a good size or idea, and Apple is good at steering clear of ideas that are not good. I don't mean to sound insulting, if you think I am sounding that way, I just have strong opinions about this stuff. Remember, I called the iPad at 10" before it was ever resealed because I took the time to cut out card and try out various sizes myself.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #208 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Imagine you make your living on your feet, be it doctor, field engineer, construction manager or whatever and you need an iPad like device you can carry in your pocket.

Imagine the iPhone already existed and fit perfectly in any pants or jeans pocket.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #209 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I seem to recall a time, fairly recently, when many where sure Apple was presently to release an "iPhone Mini", since obviously they'd need to extend the product line to cover all the action and not leave any money on the table.

Of course, you don't hear too much about that any more, since the new "action" is all about 5"+ screens and Apple needs to make one of those, now.

As Soli pointed out, touch devices are inherently different from iPods or Macs, since the screen size is part of the UI. The iPhone is the size it is because Apple's exhaustive pre-release testing suggested to them that that size works best as an aspect of the entire device, software and hardware. Same goes for the iPad. Apple didn't make the iPad the size they did for laughs, they did it because they determined that that was the best size for a device other than the iPhone. Pocketable: 3.5" screen. Not pocketable: 9.7" screen. It could have been 7 at launch. It could have been 11. They chose 9.7" because of how it worked.

So a 7" iPad wouldn't just be device to slot in between the iPhone and existing iPad, to cover the market and satisfy "choice." It would have to work, in the sense Apple defines work-- do something better in a compelling way. Samsung makes devices in every size just in case. Not Apple.

Well said. I think they'd keep a lower priced model based on the iPad 2 in the product line before they go to 7". I may well be proven wrong, of course.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #210 of 293
Bleh, AMOLED, I've been following that tech since Universal Display Corp. showed it off in 2002, and they still have problems with color reproduction, esp. when viewing the display from an angle.
post #211 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

On a more serious note, I'm intrigued by Android but the Galaxy S2 and Note that I've played with are laggy...
I do like the AMOLED screen and the vibrant contrast and colours. But how come the animations and transitions aren't as smooth as one would expect?

I don't know the exact reasons. I recall a blog a couple of months back that went into detail on the reasons, and how ICS had generally addressed most of the issues. Most of the review sites also mentioned significant improvement in the screen response with many saying it was no longer noticeable in most applications.

Ars is one of my most trusted review sites and they said there were times that they could still see a slight stutter when opening a new app, but that overall it was vastly improved and not really much of an issue now.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...viewed-1.ars/4
The most recent bugfixes(4.0.4?- not certain) are also mentioned as further improvements in a couple of specific areas.

Anyway, a comment on the one reason why a 7" iPad/iPod is almost certainly being developed by Apple: Samsung said it, and of all the little rumor sources ranging from Digitimes to the Wall Street Journal, Samsung is the one in the unique position to know what Apple is buying. If they say Apple is making a 7-8" slate, I believe them.

On why Apple would consider one: If you look at the most popular free and paid app trends in the AppStore they predominantly swing to games. Buyers might convince themselves they're buying a tablet for productivity, but app downloads are evidence it's more for entertainment in reality. A 7" tablet makes a much easier to hold and use device for gaming, and that's what Apple sees a smaller tablet being used for IMO.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #212 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't know the exact reasons. I recall a blog a couple of months back that went into detail on the reasons, and how ICS had generally addressed most of the issues. Most of the review sites also mentioned significant improvement in the screen response with many saying it was no longer noticeable in most applications.

Ars is one of my most trusted review sites and they said there were times that they could still see a slight stutter when opening a new app, but that overall it was vastly improved and not really much of an issue now.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...viewed-1.ars/4
The most recent bugfixes(4.0.4?- not certain) are also mentioned as further improvements in a couple of specific areas.

Interesting... As I suspected though the Note and S2 are not shipping with ICS in Australia at the moment, eg. http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/samsung...blue-unlocked/ ... Which is surprising because that website does grey imports, which means they should be fresh off the Samsung line in Asia.

Anyways, cheers, will check out the Ars article.

Interestingly Adobe Flash doesn't come with the Galaxy Nexus ICS, Adobe promises "by the end" of this year.

I'm checking the forums, apparently ICS for S2 and Note is only out "early 2012".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to set you up for a fall, just trying to keep my finger on the pulse. I remain committed to trying to be impartial. The Galaxy Note screen is interesting, and actually that's a nice size. I wanna see ICS on it and see how it handles.
post #213 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

agreed.

I agree partially. You are completely right about the Classic iPod vs Flash based iPod (music player).
That was two completely different demographics.

The classic was designed for "all of the music in your pocket" using a spinning HDD, the other was "a lot of music in your pocket" using flash. However, as soon as they started going after all these different colors and sizes of the flash based iPod, they stopped focusing on creating revolutionary products and switched to evolutionary product to fill different niche. About that time, iPod growth slowed down. Mini, Nano, I lost track.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...er_quarter.svg

That's what happens when you look at one data point in isolation.
Now, look at this chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

It's pretty clear that iPod sales peaked in the Christmas, 2008 quarter - just as iPhone sales were starting to take off. What seems to have happened is that many people have chosen to use an iPhone instead of an iPod and other phone. The decline in iPod sales was not caused by the variety of iPod products, but rather by the iPhone introduction.

Sometimes you have to cannibilize your own sales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

and now sales have finally been shrinking for the past few years and will continue along this trend until they shut it down.

I'm not sure that they'll shut it down any time soon. I expect that sales will decline to some level and then level off - particularly the iPod touch. But only time will tell.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #214 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple may or may not elect to make a 7" iPad at some point. If they do so it will be because they think they can make a great product that they can sell in great numbers which addresses an actual market.

Considering the above spot on, if you're selling all the iPads you can make AND you own 70% of the market and 90% of the profits, well, smart money says it's not broke, don't f...

Makes more sense we'll see an evolutionary upgrade instead, such as iPad 2s with a processor bump, Retina display & Siri integration - PLUS - they'll keep the iPad2 going but $100-$200 cheaper. No need for that iPad3 yet unless Cook is going to introduce something revolutionary that will leapfrog iOS's closet competitor, Windows 8 - which BTW is a pig with lipstick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As the most astonishingly successful company on the planet I think we can maybe at this point give the benefit of the doubt and assume their reasons for doing or not doing something are pretty sound.

Cook's "sound" reason for an evolutionary upgrade?

Because Apple will sell 1/10th of a billion of the above in the next 12-18 months.
post #215 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdboy View Post

You won't see an iPad mini from Apple. If anything, you'll see an iPod+. Also, the speculation that this rumored device might not be released until fall is an indicator it is more likely to be a larger iPod.

An iPad mini's 4:3 aspect ratio would be all wrong for a versatile, 7-inch device. These need to be a 7-inch device with a 16:9 aspect ratio for three reasons:
- To hold and operate with one hand on occasion.
- To fit into (some) pockets (a 4:3 device would not fit).
- To fit into the 180mmx100mm opening of automotive dashboards (larger, 4:3 devices would not fit).

Apple engineers would be brain dead to design a device that isn't versatile enough to be used by hand AND in vehicle entertainment systems.

Why do bloggers and the mainstream media keep reporting these dumb iPad mini rumors?

I was thinking the same thing, namely that if the product in question is to be released around the time when Apple releases new versions of the iPod Touch, it makes sense that it will be the next Touch, not a smaller version of the iPad.

I question how a 7-inch iPad would slot in pricing wise. I suspect that Apple is going to have a lower-cost iPad to offer beginning Wednesday, basically the iPad 2 selling closer to $399 than the current $499. Let's say the entry point for an iPad is $429. Right now in the US, pricing for the iPod Touch ranges from $199 to $399. What price would we see for a hypothetical 7-inch iPad? It would have to be more than a Touch, something like maybe $299 to start. This device would canibalize iPad and Touch sales. It would be less enjoyable to use than an iPad due to less screen real estate which diminishes watching video, browsing, e-reading, gaming and so on. It would lose the pocketable convenience of the Touch. It would make it problematic if Apple wanted to make the Touch a little larger, which is the next logical progression in that device.

A 5-inch Touch would be just about as portable as the current Touch and it would as a result be a rational companion to an iPad, rather than a curious sort of device like this often-rumoured, never-produced 7-inch unit. I own a Touch and intend to buy an iPad. They have different strengths and it makes sense to own both.

I was once of the view that Apple should have made a 7-inch iPad but then I sampled the 9.7-inch iPad and found that it is just the right size if you don't plan on trying to force it into your pocket. The Touch, on the other hand, feels to me like it is just not quite the right size. It's perfect for a smart phone but for a handheld that you can pocket, not so much.
post #216 of 293
this 7" is advertisement for android tablets!!! Trying to convince buyers to 7" now since the size is OK that APPLE will even produce 7" in the summer of 2012.
post #217 of 293
As usual baloney.

These analyst have to justify samsung strategy. Samsung spending on future innovations is nothing but FUD for WS. Already their fab in Texas is starting to prove to be a disaster. I doubt if apple will continue purchasing from Samsung. Why do I say the fab in Texas is turning into a disaster? Well, Samsung is trying to trying to raise money specifically for the fab.

They are seeking 1 billion in bonds thru their US entity. Samsung is awash in money. Bet you any losses to the fab will be specific to the US entity not mother Samsung in Korea.
post #218 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I could ask you the same thing about when it doesn't.

the problem ther is that once it's out, that's it. But if it doesn't releases, it's always possible that it just hasn't released..."yet".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Imagine the iPhone already existed and fit perfectly in any pants or jeans pocket.

Actually that's an argument against the iPad entirely.
post #219 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I was thinking the same thing, namely that if the product in question is to be released around the time when Apple releases new versions of the iPod Touch, it makes sense that it will be the next Touch, not a smaller version of the iPad.

I question how a 7-inch iPad would slot in pricing wise. I suspect that Apple is going to have a lower-cost iPad to offer beginning Wednesday, basically the iPad 2 selling closer to $399 than the current $499. Let's say the entry point for an iPad is $429. Right now in the US, pricing for the iPod Touch ranges from $199 to $399. What price would we see for a hypothetical 7-inch iPad? It would have to be more than a Touch, something like maybe $299 to start. This device would canibalize iPad and Touch sales. It would be less enjoyable to use than an iPad due to less screen real estate which diminishes watching video, browsing, e-reading, gaming and so on. It would lose the pocketable convenience of the Touch. It would make it problematic if Apple wanted to make the Touch a little larger, which is the next logical progression in that device.

A 5-inch Touch would be just about as portable as the current Touch and it would as a result be a rational companion to an iPad, rather than a curious sort of device like this often-rumoured, never-produced 7-inch unit. I own a Touch and intend to buy an iPad. They have different strengths and it makes sense to own both.

I was once of the view that Apple should have made a 7-inch iPad but then I sampled the 9.7-inch iPad and found that it is just the right size if you don't plan on trying to force it into your pocket. The Touch, on the other hand, feels to me like it is just not quite the right size. It's perfect for a smart phone but for a handheld that you can pocket, not so much.

I think you're absolutely right in the fact that a 7 inch iPad still doesn't quite fit in the lineup. It's not quite portable enough for a broader market. Women would probably carry them in handbags much like books/Kindles but a 5 - 6" iPod would be a much better prospect around $299.

3.5" iPhone
5.5" iPod
9.7" iPad
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
Reply
post #220 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjose1929 View Post

Samsung spending on future innovations is nothing but FUD for WS. Already their fab in Texas is starting to prove to be a disaster. I doubt if apple will continue purchasing from Samsung. Why do I say the fab in Texas is turning into a disaster? Well, Samsung is trying to trying to raise money specifically for the fab.

That was discussed in depth here at AI a few weeks ago.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=141412
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #221 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That was discussed in depth here at AI a few weeks ago.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=141412

Let's see. The article says that the plant is running at capacity and Samsung is willing to invest another billion dollars in expanding it.

Just what part of that leads you to think that it's a disaster?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #222 of 293
If they consider the 7" tablet an ipod...they can call it a Maxi-pod. :-)
post #223 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post


Not content with making their phones so big they're impossible to use, Android manufacturers have taken to making their phones impossible to HOLD at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #224 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

I think you're absolutely right in the fact that a 7 inch iPad still doesn't quite fit in the lineup. It's not quite portable enough for a broader market. Women would probably carry them in handbags much like books/Kindles but a 5 - 6" iPod would be a much better prospect around $299.

3.5" iPhone
5.5" iPod
9.7" iPad

I'd actually prefer Apple to even kill the iPod touch and just have the iPhone and 9.7" iPad. That way their more focused on the iPhone and iPad and can work on getting the prices as cheap as possible. I see the iPad replacing the iPod touch my many teenagers (as the price comes down) and the iPhone continuing to be the best phone you can get.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #225 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see. The article says that the plant is running at capacity and Samsung is willing to invest another billion dollars in expanding it.

Just what part of that leads you to think that it's a disaster?

I don't. That was another posters claim.

The fact that Samsung was looking to raise $1B for a needed expansion followed by a back and forth among forum members on why was discussed here in depth several weeks ago. Is that clearer?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #226 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Well said. I think they'd keep a lower priced model based on the iPad 2 in the product line before they go to 7". I may well be proven wrong, of course.

For what it's worth, but I tend to agree with this. Apple and FoxConn have the production lines for the iPad 2 really cranking now, why shift into a product that has largely failed in the marketplace? Especially one that Steve said wouldn't work to begin with? Apple has sold nearly 50 million of the 9.7" form, who has sold numbers close to that in the 7" size? Like the iPhone, I think keeping a cheaper iPad 2 in the lineup before doing a 7" model makes sense from a cost/benefit point of view.

Another advantage of keeping a cheaper iPad 2 around is that sales to schools (especially with the textbook initiative) could keep the existing production lines going. One option would be to do just as they did with the white MacBook: make it an education only version.
post #227 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Actually that's an argument against the iPad entirely.

No it's not. The iPad was never designed to fit in your pocket because the iPhone was that product. The iPad is a different product. For most regular Joes the iPad is a computer replacement, the iPhone is a phone. People don't want and have no need to carry their computer (their iPad) around town. Sure there may be some lone rangers in this forum who want the iPad to be smaller so they can carry it around, but you're geeks and you don't even understand the iPad as a product, apparently. And for those of you who want the iPad to be 7" so you can fit it in your pockets: in general people don't have 7" pockets; if you want to carry a device in your pocket the iPhone is it.

The iPhone is the Tricorder and the iPad is the PADD.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #228 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Anyway, a comment on the one reason why a 7" iPad/iPod is almost certainly being developed by Apple: Samsung said it, and of all the little rumor sources ranging from Digitimes to the Wall Street Journal, Samsung is the one in the unique position to know what Apple is buying. If they say Apple is making a 7-8" slate, I believe them.

Their track record isn't very good as I recall.

Quote:
On why Apple would consider one: If you look at the most popular free and paid app trends in the AppStore they predominantly swing to games. Buyers might convince themselves they're buying a tablet for productivity, but app downloads are evidence it's more for entertainment in reality. A 7" tablet makes a much easier to hold and use device for gaming, and that's what Apple sees a smaller tablet being used for IMO.

That's another reason why I think a larger iPod makes more sense than a smaller iPad. Carmissimo mirrors may own thoughts which is why I've been writing 5-8" iPod Touch instead of just 7" iPod Touch in my statement. This to me would be a much better fit for games. Plus, as I've shown scaling up from 3.5" would be easier and more natural than scaling down from 9.7".

In any case there is still no evidence that such a device exists yet we have components out the Ying Yang (a subsidiary of Foxconn) showing the iPad 3. It's possible this could be completely hidden from even if to be released next week, as some sources say, after all the new MBAs and Mac mini weren't known before their unveiling.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #229 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Agreed, this is why I bought a Kindle. $79.. Great battery life, great screen for reading in the day time. Get one. Dedicated buttons from turning pages.. great book reader! Buy one.
Crappy tablet however.

Tried one, the blackout page turning drives me to madness.
I prefer reading on a tablet/phone.

Quote:
my iPhone fits in my shirt, pants or shorts pocket , don't need inside jacket pocket. Work much better especially, when its inappropriate to haul around a jacket (i.e. summer time).

I use my iPhone for reading as well, it`s a bit small but enjoyable enough.

Quote:
I highly doubt it.. you don't want to be a customer.

I own thousands of dollars worth of Apple products.
I like being an Apple customer
I could reasonably be referred to as "Fanboy:

Quote:
If you really wanted an iPad, you would have bought one already.You don't want to buy one, you just want to complain.

I`ve bought two actually, a first gen and an iPad 2.
I bought the first one when they came out because ..well, like I said, I`m a fanboy.
I gave it to my wife and it`s the device that finally drug her into the digital world as she was never a computer person.I bought her the upgrade to iPad 2 when it came out and now she uses the 1 as an accounting/POS system for her business.
It`s a great product, it just doesn`t fit my personal needs due to form factor.

Quote:
All it proves is there is a market for cheapskates. Just like the Netbook market.
The fire is worse book reader (bad battery and bad screen compared to eInk) than the $79 Kindle and a worse tablet then an iPad. If someone gave me a Fire for x-mas, I would return it and buy one normal Kindle and spend the other $120 on something else.

Why does a 7" tablet have to be cheap?
Of course price was a reason for the Fires sales but that doesn`t mean there aren`t people with means who want a quality tablet at a 7-8" form factor.
The Fires sales prove there is an interest in the size.
I also prefer tablet reading to e-ink as I`ve said the black out page turn is far too distracting.
I`ve played with the Fires on display and like the machine.


Quote:
the same could have been said about Netbooks.

Not really, netbooks were for cheapskates as the only reason to purchase one was price.
There isn`t a netbook in existence that performs decently.
Apple avoided this problem by making the netbook obsolete with the iPad so arguably it could be said that Apple did enter the netbook market and entirely took it over with the iPad.

I don`t see why it`s so difficult to admit there is a market sector that would take a serious interest in a smaller iPad.

If it`s the Steve Jobs finger filing quote you must admit his statement reeks of hypocrisy considering he`s the man that produced the iPhone UI.
post #230 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There track record isn't very good as I recall.

It's not that their track record isn't very good, it's that they're running on a track halfway across the country.



And they think the word 'track' means 'climb into a janitor's closet and make out with a mop'.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #231 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Along with pre-empting competition, your last paragraph is the best rational (I've heard) for offering a smaller iPad device -- i believe that the iPod is what it is and should not be expanded into a larger model.

What is the difference between a smaller iPad and a larger iPod?
post #232 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

What is the difference between a smaller iPad and a larger iPod?

lol.. Zither is reaching Spam Sandwich status in my book. You guys bring a pinch of perceptive to these forums.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #233 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd actually prefer Apple to even kill the iPod touch and just have the iPhone and 9.7" iPad. That way their more focused on the iPhone and iPad and can work on getting the prices as cheap as possible. I see the iPad replacing the iPod touch my many teenagers (as the price comes down) and the iPhone continuing to be the best phone you can get.

The average retail price for the Pod line is $164, or $35 less than the lowest-priced iPod Touch, but higher than the highest-priced iPod Nano at $149. To me this sounds like the low-end iPod Touch is likely the most popular at $199 unless one can make a strong argument for the iPod Shuffle.

Apple sold 15.4 million iPods last quarter. They reported that over half were Touches. If we make that exactly half we 7.6 million Touches. That comes out to (7.6 million x $199 = $1.5 billion) at the very, very low end for a device that gets most of its R&D taken care of from the iPhone juggernaut.

It's not their most profitable product line there is a lot of money at play. What I think it needs is some new blood. Perhaps if Apple focused on a gaming device. Now I know that people say it's not a real gaming machine because it doesn't have a D-pad and come with flame decals or whatever but that seems opposite of what the App Store suggests. Most people just want to be entertained.

3.5" 3:2 = 5.65"sq (2.91" x 1.94")
5.5" 3:2 = 13.96"sq (4.58" x 3.05")
7.0" 3:2 = 22.62"sq (5.81" x 3.88")
7.0" 4:3 = 23.54"sq (5.59" x 4.21")

Going with the same aspect ratio of the iPod Touch over the iPad also allows the device to be thinner on the short side which can make it more pocketable. Perhaps not at 7" but at 5.5" the 3" wide display might be possible. It's certainly within reach of the handheld gaming sizes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #234 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's a neat mockup but I wonder about its practicality from a design, construction and usability standpoint.

If Samsung cared about practicality, they wouldn't be making 4.5 inch nerdgasm phones with a short battery life in the first place

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #235 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

you can't please all the people all the time.. and you know what? that is ok. The best customers are the reasonable ones that want to be your customers. There are plenty out there. For those that don't, they will always standing on their soapbox and demanding a 7" root-able iPad with removable battery, OLED flexible screen, SD card slot, USB ports, slide out keyboard, 4G LTE, which allows you to run Microsoft Office and play Flash for less than the cost of the HW while calling you a money greedy evil monopolistic corporation.

Those people probably want a 7 inch tablet that uses floppy disks! Losers!
post #236 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If Samsung cared about practicality, they wouldn't be making 4.5 inch nerdgasm phones with a short battery life in the first place

I think Samsung cares, I just think they don't know before they release a product. "See what sticks" is their motto.

Overall I think the Note is interesting. The digitizer should be something Apple considers. Of course, this is more difficult for Apple than Samsung because Apple will need to put in all their devices instead of just having it as a testbed release. It would likely only have styli as 3rd-party options, not something that gets "proctolated" into the device.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #237 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not content with making their phones so big they're impossible to use, Android manufacturers have taken to making their phones impossible to HOLD at all.

Android phone manufacturers don't have a clue. That is why Android phones are selling so poorly.
post #238 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's what happens when you look at one data point in isolation.
Now, look at this chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IP...er_quarter.svg

It's pretty clear that iPod sales peaked in the Christmas, 2008 quarter - just as iPhone sales were starting to take off. What seems to have happened is that many people have chosen to use an iPhone instead of an iPod and other phone. The decline in iPod sales was not caused by the variety of iPod products, but rather by the iPhone introduction.

Sometimes you have to cannibilize your own sales..

Im sorry.. but you are wrong. An 8GB $600 iPhone in 2007 did not dramaticallly affect the growth of the iPod line. Look at BOTHS chart a bit closer. The slow down had already occurred before the iPhone was introduced. I was not talking about peaking.. I was talking about "growth rate". When the slope of growth has an inflection point.. not a slope of 0. If you look at the huge growth numbers of the iPhone you will see it you will have a difficult time to correlate those numbers to the iPod chart. The numbers simply don't add it. I invite you to try. 2x growth in the millions every year for the iPhone.. show me the 2x decline in iPods correlating to the iPhone.. no.. its a nice smooth graph for the iPod.. the rapid growth declined long before iPhone intro.

and to make it clear.. I never said creation of niche variations does not slow growth. You completely messed up my statement. I said that you do niche variations once you see a slow down in growth to get the numbers back up.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #239 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


And they think the word 'track' means 'climb into a janitor's closet and make out with a mop'.

That is because they are SOOOOOOOO stupid!

post #240 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

agreed.

I agree partially. You are completely right about the Classic iPod vs Flash based iPod (music player).
That was two completely different demographics.

The classic was designed for "all of the music in your pocket" using a spinning HDD, the other was "a lot of music in your pocket" using flash. However, as soon as they started going after all these different colors and sizes of the flash based iPod, they stopped focusing on creating revolutionary products and switched to evolutionary product to fill different niche. About that time, iPod growth slowed down. Mini, Nano, I lost track.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ip...er_quarter.svg

and now sales have finally been shrinking for the past few years and will continue along this trend until they shut it down.

The same will happen to the iPhone and iPad if they do not keep innovating and keep doing things to stay revolutionary. When they stop being revolutionary then you will see 7" iPads of all different colors and special edition iPhones form U2. At that point they better have another revolutionary product in the market (i.e. AppleTV, whatever) or it will be time for me to start thinking about selling the stock. I hope that day never comes. This is why I don't want them to even consider resorting to selling a 7" iPad just yet. When you do that, it means they are out of ideas for innovation in the mainstream and will start to spread themselves into every niche to keep their numbers up.

It tends to happen to a lot of companies.. they go from selling a huge revolutionary product like a Model T (any color you want as long as it is Black) to producing the same evolutionary cars under different brands (Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) in every color of the rainbow, differentating each make with different headlights, tail lights, interior trim, and special editions until they are on their backs. Remember the K-Car? It was revolutionary and saved Chrysler, and its evolution without further innovation also just about killed Chrysler too. I think their low point has got to be the Chrysler TC by Maserati. OMG. Talk about niche to the extreme. This was a company completely on its back and out of ideas.

Not to jump in on someone else's debate, but ... most of what you say here strikes me as illusory. I don't think you have much backup for any of this beyond your personal opinion.

iPod sales didn't start to decline when the flash models and variations in design style were introduced over the classic. Your own chart shows that they started to decline much later in 2007.

You seem to be equating sales, to simple popularity of the basic design type and don't factor in other obvious reasons for the iPods decline like the fact that sales only really slowed when the iPhone and other iOS devices came out, which each had an iPod "inside."

You make seemingly artificial divisions between versions of iPods and ascribe their popularity to different demographic groups (which you don't define), based on nothing more than an unexplored hunch that this "type" of person likes that "type" (version) of iPod.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Samsung Securities says 7" 'iPad mini' coming in Q3 2012, Apple investigating flexible panels