or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Should AT&T Be Worried?

Should AT&T Be Worried?

post #1 of 3
My belief is that AT&T should be worried on two fronts:

Angering their customer base and losing those customers to alternative Voice-Over-IP (VOiP) services.

And with increasing free hot-spots for data and VOiP, who really needs cell towers?

When I was in Europe, I left my cell phone at home and used my WI-FI Only iPad 2 (no phone on it mind you) and downloaded Skype to call home to the United Stated and make calls for hours all over Europe. Cost was under $10.
post #2 of 3
Lose customers to VoIP? How? They still have to pay AT&T for the data.

AT&T won't ever stop existing unless the government breaks them up again.

You're talking about Europe and then AT&T? You made calls from your car, from the wilderness, from in a park, from five feet outside a city or town?

You can't do that here. VoIP will never supplant cellular telephony.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

VoIP will never supplant cellular telephony.

While I agree with your sentiment... "never" isn't the right word to use.

I use my cellular data frequently ... unless you never leave the heart of a major city, there just is NOT WiFi covereage (free OR paid.) So for the near future, cellular is here to stay ...

But LONG TERM... yes, AT&T should be worried about their current mode of doing business... as soon as a better alternative becomes available, their customers will flock to it. (And I don't mean VZ or Sprint ... they are not a BETTER alternative, just another version of the same thing... they're in the same boat when the "next great thing" comes along.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Should AT&T Be Worried?