or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'

Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD' - Page 3

post #81 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You seem to have it backwards. Apple is free to coin a new term. But Apple is not welcome to use a well-known term in an incorrect manner.

Doing so would be akin to calling an SD TV a Retina Display.

Or maybe in the AppleSpeak world, any term can have any meaning. If so, I call the current iPad display a Widescreen display.

But ask average Joe anywhere in the world and HD means 'better quality image'. It means what the H and the D stand for - high definition. To 99.9% of the population it has nothing to do with number of lines, nor even aspect ratio.
post #82 of 143
Quote:

Correct.

Show us the proof that you can't say a display has 1920x1080 resolution if it has more than that. Show us the proof that high definition has no baring on the definition being high, but is defined solely by a measure of the aspect ratio.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They need to call it the iPad 2S so then I can start rolling my eyes at the suggestion of the 2013 iPad being called: iPad 3. My ocular oblique muscles haven't been getting the work out they need.

Quote:

Where is HD used in that manner?

HD video is defined as being such if it is greater than SD quality by ANY amount. 721x481 is greater than SD quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

ohhh so just like how the iphone goes 3g>3gs and 4>4s, this will go 2>2 HD and then 3>3HD.

Quote:

That's like saying the iPhone 3GS was speedier than the iPhone 3 but the iPhone 4 wasn't speedier than the iPhone 3GS because it didn't contain an 'S' at the end of the name.

I don't like half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Quote:

Show us the proof that high definition has no baring on the definition being high, but is defined solely by a measure of the aspect ratio.

I'll save him the time: there is none; he's wrong. I remember writing out a post proving that 4:3, 3:2, and other common "non-widescreen" resolutions and ratios of very large size were widely considered HD, but I don't remember if I posted it or not.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #84 of 143
With a new retina display they can call it the eyePad and solve the Chinese name problem, too.
post #85 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'll save him the time: there is none; he's wrong. I remember writing out a post proving that 4:3, 3:2, and other common "non-widescreen" resolutions and ratios of very large size were widely considered HD, but I don't remember if I posted it or not.

I wonder what the aspect ratio and resolution of HD Radio is?

post #86 of 143
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Link

The ratio of power of the analog signal to the digital signal is standardized at 100:1

Ah, crap. Widescreen. Guess he was right.

post #87 of 143
im not dissapointed with the name I actually like it for some reason. Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..
post #88 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

WHATEVER COMES OUT NEXT IS THE "REAL IPAD 3".

lowercaseletters

post #89 of 143
Quote:

Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

And so it begins....

post #90 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I say it will be called iPad 3

I say it will be called Money in the Bank. Or maybe What Competition?

Let's face it, no matter want they call it, the thing will sell

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #91 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Sounds like fragmentation.

post #92 of 143
If this is indeed fact and not just speculation...

Using "HD" next to anything these days is way too cliche and down-right tacky. I guess this decision was decided on after Steve passed. Just doesn't sound like Apple branding so i'm going to call speculation on this one.

I'd rather they call it iPad 2S, since most of the other features (or form-factor) has remained mostly unchanged.
post #93 of 143
iPad Classic Gold Eddie Bauer Edition
post #94 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkyTruck View Post

Quadrupling the number of pixels does not sound like an S upgrade to me. If it was an S-type upgrade I suspect they would have used S. But I don't think they are using HD either. My money is on "Quad Pro".

i sooo wish i could take that bet...i'd be a very rich man.
post #95 of 143
Quote:

They need to call it the iPad 2S so then I can start rolling my eyes at the suggestion of the 2013 iPad being called: iPad 3.

No in 2013 it will be the iPad 3s and iPad 4.

Cause this is the iPad 2s and in the fall the real iPad 3 is coming out

Don't you read Digitimes

post #96 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i sooo wish i could take that bet...i'd be a very rich man.

My money is on iPad RD3 HDxi. (The xi is there just to appeal to the car 90's crowd)
post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd View Post

With a new retina display they can call it the eyePad and solve the Chinese name problem, too.

Where I live it would be the wye aye Pad
post #98 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My money is on iPad RD3 HDxi. (The xi is there just to appeal to the car 90's crowd)

Free pair of furry dice with every one
post #99 of 143
Quote:

im not dissapointed with the name I actually like it for some reason. Plus you know when the real ipad3 comes out its going to have an outer shell redesign to stand out from the ipad 2..

I wish I could carry on the witty part of this conversation.

I don't think the generational numbering really matters, there are only so many products that still are numbered consecutively. Apple isn't above using the same look a couple years in a row. If it's what is rumored, it would be a break to have such a significant upgrade in the same look, but I'm fine with that.

Apple's computer designs tend to stick around for three to five years, and that's not very controversial.
post #100 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

2012- iPad HD
2013- iPad HD 2
2014- iPad 4k
2015- iPad 4k2

Pretty soon they'll sound like Canon cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPad Quadra
iPad Performa
iPad Pro Duo
iPad Pro Serve

I hope neither one of you will ever work for Apple. Because those all (in the immortal words of SJ) "are SHIT"!

Traditionally, Apple has only changed the nomenclature if the device has gone through a radical redesign. Look at the iPhone. Gen 2 and 3 were both named iPhone 3G, and then they added the "S". I'm even surprised Apple decided to add monikers next to the names of their products at all. The iMac has always been just the iMac. The Macbook line has had monikers but they were always simple. Air, Pro.

Personally, I thought it was a mistake to use a moniker at all. The back of the phones and iPad doesn't have them, why bother. Just unnecessary. If I had to choose, and based on what we know...i'd put my money on:
iPad 2S
iPad
post #101 of 143
Historically, Apple never liked to call any product just a "3". Because the Apple III was a big failure
post #102 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I hope neither one of you will ever work for Apple. Because those all (in the immortal words of SJ) "are SHIT"!

Of course those names are shit. That was the joke.
post #103 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I really hope not...then what will the iPad fourth generation be called?

The iPad Quad, of course.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #104 of 143
They should have called it the iPad 2x, because it's similar to the iPad 2 but with twice the linear resolution. Also, it would avoid confusion with the apps labeled HD.

And really, 'x' is the coolest letter in the alphabet.
post #105 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Historically, Apple never liked to call any product just a "3". Because the Apple III was a big failure

I remember. So it was amusing to me to see the iPhone 3 and the 3GS ever come into being.
post #106 of 143
iPhone 3G is not the third model of the iPhone, but named after the 3G radio, otherwise it would have been called iPhone 2. The iPhone 3GS is the third iPhone, but the "s" revision of the 3G iPhone, the 3 in the name has nothing to do with the sequence.

So in the iPhone/iPad Universe only the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4 are truly counting product versions, so it's a bit premature to talk about a pattern here.

An iPad HD would be fitting because for the first time HD video can be displayed at full resolution withou cropping or scaling, and it follows the naming of the iPhone 3G: named after a distinguishing new feature, just like MacBook Pro titanium, unibody, etc.

And AI still can't do math: the resolution quadrupled, not doubled, should the rumored claims be true.
How often will you guys regurgitate the same mathematical garbage?
post #107 of 143
It's got to be the MaxiPad..
Dr
Pepper
Crew
Dr
Pepper
Crew
post #108 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... also, what will they do next year if they call this new (standard) resolution "HD"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

I really hope not...then what will the iPad fourth generation be called?

My god, you are right! And what are they going to call next year's iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod Touch, iPad nano...

You both seem to be forgetting that the iPhone is the only Apple device other than the iPad that is numbered. Numbering devices is, in fact, the exception for Apple, not the rule.

And actually, if this rumor is true, I take it as further evidence that there will be two versions of the iPad going forward, and the lower-end version will not simply be the previous year's model at a lower price. It will be a model in it's own right. Because in that scenario, the sequential numbering scheme simply doesn't work, and you pretty much have to have something like the MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air "family" of devices.

This is one thing that bugged me about my theory that Apple would continue selling the iPad 2 after the iPad 3 is released as a temporary measure and then later replace the iPad 2 with a lower-end iPad. I has assumed the next iPad would be the "3", but didn't see how that naming convention would work in my theory. This new rumor fits quite nicely.
post #109 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

And AI still can't do math: the resolution quadrupled, not doubled, should the rumored claims be true.
How often will you guys regurgitate the same mathematical garbage?

How often will YOU?! They are NOT WRONG. Please stop bringing this up.

Resolution doubled. The number of pixels quadrupled. These are correct sentences.

post #110 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How often will YOU?! They are NOT WRONG. Please stop bringing this up.

Resolution doubled. The number of pixels quadrupled. These are correct sentences.

It's the only thing he posts and get corrected each time and yet still chooses to remain ignorant. One AI author even detailed that is was 4x the pixel count but 2x the resolution in an article a few days ago in what I suspect was a way to get this across to those who can't be bothered to understand basic maths.

post #111 of 143
Quote:

And speaking of using the "HD" label...if I have HD contacts will I be able to see the individual pixels of the Retina Display?
post #112 of 143
And I just saw the article about the 4G LTE supposedly being confirmed for the iPad. If, in fact, the next iPad has this, calling it an iPad 3 would be very, very confusing. There was a study not too long ago concluding that roughly 1/3 of iPhone 4 owners thought they had a 4G phone.

This alone would be reason enough to not call it an IPad 3!
post #113 of 143
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

A whole year and they can't come up with a new model? S and now HD? Sounds like fragmentation.

smells like teen spirit

You mean it smells like territorial pissings! The ironic thing is that he calls himself realitycheck.
post #114 of 143
From what I can tell penchanted has the oldest prediction it will be called iPad HD dating back to 20-JAN-2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And I just saw the article about the 4G LTE supposedly being confirmed for the iPad. If, in fact, the next iPad has this, calling it an iPad 3 would be very, very confusing. There was a study not too long ago concluding that roughly 1/3 of iPhone 4 owners thought they had a 4G phone.

This alone would be reason enough to not call it an IPad 3!

Maybe but I'm think Apple will use LTE over 4G since they already had an iPhone 4 and 4S.

post #115 of 143
So will the next AppleTV be called AppleTV HD to follow inline with the iPad. It will support 1080p, I'm sure.

What about the next MBPs? HD is highly marketable so why no exploit the crap out of it for the masses that think it inherently means something in and of itself.

post #116 of 143
I'm expecting A6 quadcore ales no sense to use A5 with those graphics and for better apps being able to run on iPad. More feature rich Photoshop touh, Microsoft office, auto cad flu, etc...

Dnt care about the name really...
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

I'm expecting A6 quadcore ales no sense to use A5 with those graphics and for better apps being able to run on iPad. More feature rich Photoshop touh, Microsoft office, auto cad flu, etc...

Dnt care about the name really...

Why do you think raising the number from 5 to 6 indicates that they've added 2 CPU cores? Why would you want 4 cores if it's slower and uses more power than a 2 core setup like in Qualcomm's Krait? Shouldn't the goal be to get more performance with less power drain to make the experience better for the user?

post #118 of 143
http://ipadhd.com/

LOL

So no... this is not likely.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #119 of 143
It has to be the

iPad2K

Doesn't it?
post #120 of 143
Quote:

smells like teen spirit

so sad, that the late Kurt Cobain left the way he did... and ironically was factor in the death of Kurt Cobain, because it was over-played, and popular back around 1994. IMAO...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Reports claim Apple's third-gen tablet to be named 'iPad HD'