or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV shipping estimates slip as update nears

Apple TV shipping estimates slip as update nears

post #1 of 40
Ahead of an expected refresh of its Apple TV set-top box, Apple has begun sliding back shipping estimates, while the majority of U.S. retail stores report being out of stock of the current-generation model.

Shipping estimates for the device in several countries around the world are being pushed back as Apple is no longer reporting immediate availability of the Apple TV in some regions. For instance, Germany's iFun.de noticed () that Apple's online store in the country had shifted from listing the product as "Available" to "Ships in 1-2 business days." Meanwhile, Apple's U.K. site lists the Apple TV as dispatching in "2-4 business days."

Updated availability on Apple's own sites comes as the latest hint that the company may introduce a new version of the Apple TV at its March 7 media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. Many of Apple's partners have been out of stock of the device for weeks. The product temporarily disappeared from BestBuy.com's listings last month before returning to the site with the notice that it is "Not available for shipping."

The Apple TV is still listed as in stock on the company's U.S. online store. However, MacRumors went through and tracked availability at Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores. According to the publication, 98 percent of locations are out of stock, with just four stores listing availability for immediate pickup. Availability estimates for pickup orders of Apple TV units range from March 9 to March 15.

Reports have speculated that Apple could introduce high-resolution 1080p support on the Apple TV to coincide with the expected introduction of a Retina Display-equipped third-generation iPad. Other evidence points to an upgraded processor for the set-top box, possibly named the "A5X."

The Apple TV is set to continue playing a supporting role in the company's strategy. The release of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion this summer will bring Mac support for the AirPlay Mirroring feature, allowing users to wirelessly broadcast their Mac desktops to the Apple TV.

Apple CEO Tim Cook has indicated that the company still considers the device a "hobby," while also noting that it sees potential for something larger to eventually develop from the product. Apple sold 2.8 million Apple TV units last fiscal year and 1.4 million in the most recent quarter. Cook himself is quite effusive about the device, noting recently that he "couldn't live without it."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 40
I think
to touch ---> IPAD HD
to see ---> New TV

from the event tag line
post #3 of 40
Apple TV HD. Calling it.
post #4 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple TV HD. Calling it.

I've got you beat on that one.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 40
Apple TV w/built-in Time Machine, 1080p HD gigabit internet, Bluetooth 4.0
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Apple TV w/built-in Time Machine, 1080p HD gigabit internet, Bluetooth 4.0

1080p and GigE seem pretty certain, after all one already is there. I don't think adding a 2TB+ HDD for TM makes sense and I wouldn't expect BT4.0 unless there was a direct application for it, like a new remote control, perhaps one that can take Siri requests.

I do wonder about is 802.11ac. If it comes with the next Apple TV then I think that means new AirPort routers will need to arrive, but I think those are more likely to debut with the next MBPs. They could just not advertise the HW until they have their routers in place.

post #7 of 40
I hope 1080p is available on the Mac too, not just the new iPad and Apple TV.

Edit: and if I could upgrade my previously purchased SD and 720p movies that would be wonderful.

Edit 2: And if movies could be in iCloud...
post #8 of 40
We still have availability, "on stock" says at the online store http://store.apple.com/jp/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv
post #9 of 40
1080p video mirroring. Sweet.
post #10 of 40
This is what AppleTV needs more than anything. There is huge potential for a mass produced embeddable computer that supports one app running at a time. Give us access to a USB port and it would be even better.

Frankly I don't think Apple understands what they have in Apple TV. It is basically a full computer with network access for $100. IOS is basically UNIX with a Touch interface that is modified for TVs. The modifications aren't what is important here, it is the solid OS and the capability ARM brings to the fold for $100.
post #11 of 40
I don't even have my Apple TV plugged in anymore. It's such an antiquated platform with limited functionality and a dreadful UI. Compared to the equally ancient Xbox 360, which is updated regularly and now has a plethora of streaming video apps, there's just no content.

Apple need to rethink the Apple TV from the ground up. A minor spec bump to 1080p is nowhere near enough.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is what AppleTV needs more than anything. There is huge potential for a mass produced embeddable computer that supports one app running at a time. Give us access to a USB port and it would be even better.

Isn't that what video mirroring + iPad is for? You just pretend the iPad is only a controller and the app is running on your TV.

Edit: I don't think video mirroring the iPad is an interim solution, I think it *is* Apple's answer to the consoles.
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post

We still have availability, "on stock" says at the online store http://store.apple.com/jp/browse/hom...amily/apple_tv

They won't keep selling the old one once the new one comes out. If it will take longer to get to Japan or not, I don't know, but it won't be for reasons of clearing out old stock.
post #14 of 40
even though the apple TV shows as available online, if you specify pick up for in store pickup ad enter your zip, it says "Available Mar 9"
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple TV HD. Calling it.

Well done on being wrong.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 40
Perhaps this potentially "upgraded" apple tv is a stepping stone to a full on tv.
With this one they introduce the possibility of apps for your tv throug the apple tv box, and over the next couple of months, to a year, app development for the living room could grow to thousands or more, giving their actual tv set more backing as to why consumers would want to buy it.

Possible apps to bring to the living room; the bbc iplayer, multiple tv channel apps, angry birds, a weather app, FaceTime, board games that you can play with your family. The app possibilities could go on and on.
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Edit: I don't think video mirroring the iPad is an interim solution, I think it *is* Apple's answer to the consoles.

I was watching iPad Today (TWIT Network- on my ATV ironically) and one of their listeners speculated the 7" rumors were for a gaming specific iPod Touch. I scoffed yesterday when I heard that, but combined with AirPlay....

Hmm! I thought Nintendo's new Wii looked a bit derivitave of what I have with the iPhone and my ATV today.

Things could be very interesting tomorrow! This whole gaming aspect makes more sense to me for the "touch" aspect of the anouncement for tomorrows event.
post #18 of 40
I think that the iPad third-gen will sport an A6 quad-core processor, with the Apple TV sporting an A5X. This makes sense to me.

Which is why it'll probably be a dual-core A5X for the iPad and a standard A5 for the Apple TV.
post #19 of 40
I may not get the iPad 3 right away but I'll probably pick up 1 or 2 aTVs when they come out.

A 7" iPod Touch with A5X for gaming I'd do on launch day too.
post #20 of 40
Personally I'm hoping for 1080p Apple TV and ability to stream it TO ipad 3.
post #21 of 40
I'm just trying to figure out, with my plans to purchase an iPad tomorrow, how are they going to spoil my plans and convince me to purchase this too? 1080p isn't going to do it...assume there has to be more, likely tied specifically to the new iPad.
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Strean from iPad to Apple TV makes sense. I'm not sure how accessing content on the Apple TV and then having it display on your iPad makes sense.

post #23 of 40
Seems to me that if Apple intends to revolutionize TV, it needs an external solution like the Apple TV so that the Apple interface can be applied to existing sets.

You can't get momentum if you are asking consumers to replace all their sets and do so with a product that will no doubt cost more than your typical TV set. Adoption would be glacial if using Apple's service required a complete redo of your television equipment.

So we would likely see first an Apple TV that brings Apple's system to homes via a set-top box and then we would see a full-bore Apple set that incorporates Apple's approach. There was recently a rumour that two Canadian service providers were testing an Apple set but I suspect those providers were testing the next Apple TV that will be offered in tandem with a subscription model developed by Apple.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Strean from iPad to Apple TV makes sense. I'm not sure how accessing content on the Apple TV and then having it display on your iPad makes sense.

I have my Apple TV rigged up to my projector etc. but sometimes would rather watch it's output sat on the sofa with an ipad instead. i.e. use the ipad as the tv.
In fact I'd like to be able to use an ipad as a monitor generally, so I can watch blurays on it etc.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I hope 1080p is available on the Mac too, not just the new iPad and Apple TV.

Edit: and if I could upgrade my previously purchased SD and 720p movies that would be wonderful.

Edit 2: And if movies could be in iCloud...

I can't agree more. Plus as sales and rentals across the board with Extras and LP across the board. It seems dumb Apple hasn't figured out how to get the latter two on iOS devices. It makes me think they do know how but contracts have blocked it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I don't think Apple understands what they have in Apple TV.

Apple totally understands what they could have with the Apple TV. But what you are dreaming it not what they want to do with this device. It's not mention be your central hub but one of the spokes, same as your iPad etc.

As for the apps, not all of the Apps will really work well for something like the Apple TV so I can see why they haven't just opened it up to everything. The storage is small and is meant to stay that way. so they are picking and choosing the most appropriate apps for a TV focused system and making deals for those. But they have also given the developers APIs to use Airplay for some rather nice tricks if they wish. And Airplay mirroring can give you the TV display for even more apps if you wish.

post #27 of 40
Quote:

There's no real logic to that. All the apps that run on the Apple TV came from the iPad in the first place so just get them and stream straight to your iPad.

post #28 of 40
Quote:

I have my Apple TV rigged up to my projector etc. but sometimes would rather watch it's output sat on the sofa with an ipad instead. i.e. use the ipad as the tv.
In fact I'd like to be able to use an ipad as a monitor generally, so I can watch blurays on it etc.

Streaming from an iPad to an AppleTV makes sense because you can control the content with an iPad, but to push it from the AppleTV to an iPad means you using the Apple Remote (physical or virtual) to then send content you should already have access to on your iPad in the most circuitous way. As for wanting to stream Blu-ray discs to your iPad I simply don't know where to begin.

post #29 of 40
Quote:

Streaming from an iPad to an AppleTV makes sense because you can control the content with an iPad, but to push it from the AppleTV to an iPad means you using the Apple Remote (physical or virtual) to then send content you should already have access to on your iPad in the most circuitous way. As for wanting to stream Blu-ray discs to your iPad I simply don't know where to begin.

Lol. I'm bandwidth challenged. I typically set an tv episode downloading on Apple TV the day before I watch it. I don't want to tie up an ipad downloading for ages before I can watch it on it.

If I ever get fibre then I won't care quite so much (but I'd still like to stream from my ps3 to an ipad). I don't want an actual tv in my house (yet another display device).
post #30 of 40
Quote:

Lol. I'm bandwidth challenged. I typically set an tv episode downloading on Apple TV the day before I watch it. I don't want to tie up an ipad downloading for ages before I can watch it on it.

If I ever get fibre then I won't care quite so much (but I'd still like to stream from my ps3 to an ipad). I don't want an actual tv in my house (yet another display device).

Why not just get the TV on your iPad in the first place? It's not like you can't do other things while it's downloading or can't set it download at night, since you don't watch it until the next day. Bottom line: If you want to watch content on your iPad then DL to your iPad. You could also just send to a Mac/PC with iTunes and then copy over via WiFi or USB, too.

You won't ever be able to stream from your PS3 to a device using AirPlay.

post #31 of 40
"Just one more thing".
post #32 of 40
Quote:

Why not just get the TV on your iPad in the first place? It's not like you can't do other things while it's downloading or can't set it download at night, since you don't watch it until the next day. Bottom line: If you want to watch content on your iPad then DL to your iPad. You could also just send to a Mac/PC with iTunes and then copy over via WiFi or USB, too.

You won't ever be able to stream from your PS3 to a device using AirPlay.

I want two things:

I want to download content to my Apple TV and decide later what device to watch it on (tv, projector or ipad).

I want a video input on an ipad - a simple mini hdmi in would suffice if wifi is out the window.
post #33 of 40
Quote:

I want two things:

I want to download content to my Apple TV and decide later what device to watch it on (tv, projector or ipad).

I want a video input on an ipad - a simple mini hdmi in would suffice if wifi is out the window.

Neither of which will happen, though the first has at least a chance of happening in the future.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #34 of 40
Compared to many, I'm a novice with Apple. I've got the iPads and iPhones but no TV yet. I find this entire discussion to be very interesting. Also of note, I find it incredible that just 4-5 days ago MS gave everyone a sneek preview of Win8 and nobody cares. Everyone is more interested in tomorrow and you really have to search to find information about the MS release.

Apple clearly stands alone at this time. Stay thirsty my friend...
post #35 of 40
So we can safely assume that the Apple TV HD will have 1080p... finally. Technologically it's well overdue for an HEC appliance, but why is it so overdue?

I hypothesis that it's because Apple didn't have 1080p deals for content. Sure, they could have not worried about that but we're talking about Apple here, not Google or Dell. If they released a 1080p Apple TV that had no iTS access to 1080p the bitching and complaining would be high... especially from those that would never buy video from the iTS (you know who you are!).

So if I'm correct and Apple announced 1080p content how much of their content will it be.Will it be $1 more than 720p? Will they drop SD and do 1080p at 720p prices? Will they have three difference resolutions or dropping 720p? Will it be a weak 1080p like on YouTube and other streaming video sites that are less Kbps than Apple's 720p or they will they go to something between that and Blu-ray, like 8-10Mbps?

post #36 of 40
I'm glad I held off on buying that 3rd AppleTV. Video mirroring from my Mac via Mountain Lion in 1080p will be awesome.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well done on being wrong.

Well I did predict Apple would quadruple the pixel count on their mobile displays to simplify backwards compatibility months before anyone saw the iPhone 4 or apple coined the term "retina display". They can't all be winners.
post #38 of 40
I want my Apple Tv to replace my cable box, not sit beside it. They could add a tab for cable Tv and have the channel guide with Apple's interface. They could even offer it up to the cable companies to rent out like the boxes they rent now. I see this as the brains of any TV offering. The TV itself is just a monitor.
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I want my Apple Tv to replace my cable box, not sit beside it. They could add a tab for cable Tv and have the channel guide with Apple's interface. They could even offer it up to the cable companies to rent out like the boxes they rent now. I see this as the brains of any TV offering. The TV itself is just a monitor.

It's a great idea but the cable cos don't want to lose control. It's been reported that Apple has gone down this road and kept getting the door shut in their faces. Being too successful at what you do can be a hurdle, too.

post #40 of 40
I could see the Apple TV providing content to devices, much the way a Slingbox unit does. If Apple really goes with their a la carte programming, an updated Apple TV allowing you to access your programming anywhere you are in wifi/3G/4G coverage would be awesome.

I won't hold my breath for that, but it would be a great addition. In any case, I'll probably get a new Apple TV for my 1080p living room tv, and move the 720p Apple TV to my man cave.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV shipping estimates slip as update nears