or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE

post #1 of 189
Thread Starter 
Apple is rumored to unveil a third-generation iPad with more RAM than the iPad 2, along with a dual-core "A5X" processor that's been called "an A5 on steroids."

In addition to an improved processor and more RAM, the next iPad will also feature the option for high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, The Verge reported on Tuesday, citing anonymous sources. The LTE model is expected to be available in both AT&T and Verizon models, meaning there will remain two distinct versions dedicated to each U.S. wireless carrier.

Apple is also said to be planning a third, international iPad model that will offer 3G on both CDMA and GSM networks, using a chipset similar to the world-mode one found in the iPhone 4S.

As for the processor, the new iPad will feature a dual-core "A5X" processor, editor Joshua Topolsky claims, with "more RAM" than the iPad 2. Exactly how much RAM will be added was not said.

The A5X CPU is expected to have a more powerful graphics processor, but will not be a full-fledged sixth-generation chip. Instead, it was said that a true "A6" processor will likely launch later this year with Apple's sixth-generation iPhone.

The A5X was first revealed last month in a picture that claimed to show the logic board of Apple's third-generation iPad. Subsequent rumors also alleged that the new processor will be a dual-core chip offering improvements on the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, rather than a complete overhaul.

Finally, Tuesday's latest report also said that Apple plans to update its Apple TV set-top box with a new model that will offer 1080p high-definition out. It will also "deliver new video streaming/mirroring functionality," the report said.




Apple's next iPad and Apple TV are expected to be officially unveiled on Wednesday at a media event in San Francisco, with the most recent rumors claiming the new touchscreen tablet will be known as the "iPad HD," in a reference to its new high-resolution Retina Display. The event will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 189
No more info on the mysterious B28? Looking forward to tomorrow, for sure. Glad I'm on the west coast.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #3 of 189
If they got 2GB of RAM and a quad core chip, it would be a true laptop replacement
post #4 of 189
What a clever name - just like the 386X.

Seems like this would be a very short lived chip if they really would release a new iPad in the fall. Seems unlikely, but you never know. 1 year is the max now!
post #5 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

What a clever name - just like the 386X.

Actually, it is different. Isn't it X86 where the X is a placeholder for 3,4,5,6 and the 86 is the instruction set

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #6 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

If they got 2GB of RAM and a quad core chip, it would be a true laptop replacement

Please elaborate. What apps on an iPad3 with those specs alone would make that difference than that same app on an iPad2?
post #7 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

If they got 2GB of RAM and a quad core chip, it would be a true laptop replacement

Specs have nothing to do with that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #8 of 189
Adding more cores carries diminishing returns. Of all the factors impacting performance, thats way down the list!
post #9 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

What a clever name - just like the 386X.

Seems like this would be a very short lived chip if they really would release a new iPad in the fall. Seems unlikely, but you never know. 1 year is the max now!

A6 iPhone in the fall, not A6 iPad. [[.."it was said that a true "A6" processor will likely launch later this year with Apple's sixth-generation iPhone." ]]
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
Reply
post #10 of 189
The problem with RAM is that it requires constant power to hold its data. Not so great for a device that runs off of a temporary battery. If Apple increases the RAM. It will be because of an extremely energy efficient form of RAM.

The only real benefit of quad core processors. Is if the applications or the OS can really make use of all of four cores at any one particular time. Otherwise its over kill for the sake of marketing.

That is the state of Android. They are introducing quad core phones. But there really is nothing that can take much practical advantage of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

If they got 2GB of RAM and a quad core chip, it would be a true laptop replacement
post #11 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Please elaborate. What apps on an iPad3 with those specs alone would make that difference than that same app on an iPad2?

The difference is that Apple will release apps with the arbitrary restriction that they will only install on an iPad HD.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #12 of 189
edit: Pipped by others.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #13 of 189
I don't care if it's dual-core or quad-core -- Apple knows what it's doing with regards to performance with such an increase in resolution. All I care is that it has at least 1GB of RAM and double the storage capacities at the same price points, i.e. 32GB/64GB/128GB.
post #14 of 189
Strange silence about storage...If they release a 16gb model it will be a mockery with respect to what the iPad can and must hold in terms of apps and content. 16gb in this day and age, with retina and all the apps and uses for the iPad will be just plain taking advantage of those who can't afford the more expensive models...what a shame to own such a great device and not be able to use it for shit due to the crippled storage.
post #15 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Please elaborate. What apps on an iPad3 with those specs alone would make that difference than that same app on an iPad2?

1) Buffering/Decoding/Rendering high-def streamed video

2) High FPS games

3) Editing Video, Audio

4) AirPlay Mirroring

come to mind.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #16 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The problem with RAM is that it requires constant power to hold its data. Not so great for a device that runs off of a temporary battery. If Apple increases the RAM. It will be because of an extremely energy efficient form of RAM.

The only real benefit of quad core processors. Is if the applications or the OS can really make use of all of four cores at any one particular time. Otherwise its over kill for the sake of marketing.

That is the state of Android. They are introducing quad core phones. But there really is nothing that can take much practical advantage of them.

More power is used grabbing data over a network again than storing it in RAM. And there are few applications that would use all 4 cores effectively (heck, most don't bother to use two because it's really not needed).
post #17 of 189
Quote:
The A5X CPU is expected to have a more powerful graphics processor, but will not be a full-fledged sixth-generation chip.. Instead, it was said that a true "A6" processor will likely launch later this year with Apple's sixth-generation iPhone.

This is asinine. The real gaming platform that can immediately leverage this is the iPad 3 with a 2K screen.

Apple's had the 6th gen ImgTec GPGPU for nearly 1 year.

ST-Erickson announced support for the Rouge over 1 year ago.

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=617
post #18 of 189
I'm expecting it to be an A5X chip because its only a bumped up ipad2 with better everything. Its real likely that it is going to be called ipad HD also. The real ipad3 is going to have a new design shell and A6 for sure and big OS upgrade to take advantage of those 4 cores
post #19 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

More power is used grabbing data over a network again than storing it in RAM. And there are few applications that would use all 4 cores effectively (heck, most don't bother to use two because it's really not needed).

I don't think developers have any control over how many cores their apps use on iOS. That is a system controlled function.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 189
iPad HD is the worst name ever. iPad 3 is much much better IMO.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iPad HD is the worst name ever.

I could offer some worse names.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #22 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

What a clever name - just like the 386X.

Seems like this would be a very short lived chip if they really would release a new iPad in the fall. Seems unlikely, but you never know. 1 year is the max now!

Yeah, seems backwards... iPad needs the horsepower much more than any iPhone.

It is likely that the chip schedules don't match the iDevice schedules.

I could see Apple getting away with releasing another iPad in the fall with a big bump in power (new CPU/GPU), maybe a larger display -- at a higher price (to avoid buyer's remorse).
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #23 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Strange silence about storage.

Storage will be the same.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 189
For the basic user, Quad core anything is overkill. The only time they become useful is if you are a power user and are running cpu intensive programs simultaneously. Upgrading the GPU and RAM on the iPad will be crucial in order to continue to develop more graphic intensive games, improved frame rates, and multi tasking. The new retina screen will also be a giant leap forward. Everything else is just marketing hype. Unless of course they include an SD card slot.
post #25 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The difference is that Apple will release apps with the arbitrary restriction that they will only install on an iPad HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

1) Buffering/Decoding/Rendering high-def streamed video

2) High FPS games

3) Editing Video, Audio

4) AirPlay Mirroring

come to mind.

The original poster referred to the additional specs being a laptop replacement. What functions or apps would make an iPad3 a replacement for laptops as opposed to an iPad2.

The current iPad2 certainly is not a slow machine at all. Of course more horsepower is always welcome but I've heard people constantly say an iPad will never be a notebook replacement (it's a "toy") and here is this individual saying it would. I'm asking why a 3 and not a 2??
post #26 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

2) High FPS games]

I think the OP was referring to the CPU, but even if he did mean the GPU the double density display will likely cause the iPad 3's frame rates to be lower than the iPad 2 just as we saw the iPhone 4's frame rates turn out to be lower than the iPhone 3GS.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #27 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No more info on the mysterious B28? Looking forward to tomorrow, for sure. Glad I'm on the west coast.

Why? Everyone will tune in at the same moment in time.
post #28 of 189
The IPad is great but falls well short of a laptop. All I want is to be able to update the various content management site Im responsible for. Most if not all teachers use need this capability. You can't upload files in safari to such sites as blackboard, Moodle or even Drupal in Drupal or any ISo devices....I wonder if that will be addressed??
post #29 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is rumored to unveil a third-generation iPad with more RAM than the iPad 2, along with a dual-core "A5X" processor that's been called "an A5 on steroids." ...

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this but I will point our that Topolsky is very often wrong and embarrassingly so. He is famous for believing the most preposterous of rumours.
post #30 of 189
If the new iPad is going to use a dual core cpu I wonder if it will be an A7 derivative like the Qualcom Krait. That chip looks like a speed demon.
post #31 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Strange silence about storage...If they release a 16gb model it will be a mockery with respect to what the iPad can and must hold in terms of apps and content. 16gb in this day and age, with retina and all the apps and uses for the iPad will be just plain taking advantage of those who can't afford the more expensive models...what a shame to own such a great device and not be able to use it for shit due to the crippled storage.

I don't know... Where WiFi is available it would be fairly efficient to crossload from a Mac or PC or download from iCloud.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #32 of 189
The lack of quad core doesn't surprise me. Apple needs to feed incremental updates every year. What would they push next year? I also imagine the screen resolution and LTE alone are going to put a good sized dent in battery life, adding quad core would just mean that much more. Apple is already way far and ahead in the tablet space, why push everything at once. Either way, my iPad 2 (wifi) will serve just fine for another year. The screen while gorgeous as it will be doesn't justify another $600-700 from me this year.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #33 of 189
Only 3G interanationally??? WTF??? Seriously Apple???
post #34 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Storage will be the same.

Sound like it, and this sucks big time, retina, 4 or two cores, larger ram... What good do all these do on a storge level of 16 gb for a device hats not jut a laptop replacement but in many respects much more versatile than a laptop? 16g is ipod nano storage capacity, not iPad... A few albums, 20-30 apps, couple of games and movies and you are done, no room to store photos, take vids from the camera, store PDFs and content in reader apps, no iTunesu, podcasts, audiobooks, no large game apps, no storage for interactive books, etc. etc. and all that of course made even worse with iPad apps using retina resolution graphics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't know... Where WiFi is available it would be fairly efficient to crossload from a Mac or PC or download from iCloud.

What to load first and what to offload and where? I could see iCloud being os some assistance with 32gb iPads, but 16gb ones? The air 4 years ago had 60gb standard and arguably the iPad is now much more versatile than the air, it's more app rich for sure, and 4 year onwards iPad starts with a fourth of that?
post #35 of 189
Quick, now do a rumor with A6, 512MB RAM, and no LTE. Then LTE, A5X, and 1GB RAM. And every other possible freaking combination you can do in less than 24 hours.
post #36 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I don't care if it's dual-core or quad-core -- Apple knows what it's doing with regards to performance with such an increase in resolution. All I care is that it has at least 1GB of RAM and double the storage capacities at the same price points, i.e. 32GB/64GB/128GB.

Agreed. Need more space for all those apps, music, and video
post #37 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

More power is used grabbing data over a network again than storing it in RAM. And there are few applications that would use all 4 cores effectively (heck, most don't bother to use two because it's really not needed).

While few if any apps use two cores, keep in mind that the iPhone and iPad do multitasking. There is the foreground app that may be being used to write a document or spreadsheet. Meanwhile, the user may be streaming music or just playing music, all the while the device is checking for messages and mail.

Meanwhile the GPU is handing the screen graphics for which is it optimized.

The iPhone and iPad are incredible devices, but may never need a quad core due to the tight marriage of hardware, iOS and apps.It's more then technical, it's magical.
post #38 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbringer View Post

Only 3G interanationally??? WTF??? Seriously Apple???

Yes. Let's be furious at Apple for releasing a product that

OH RIGHT, it's not out yet and no one can actually know anything about it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #39 of 189
It could run a Pentium 4 for all I care as long as Apple increased performance while preserving the user experience.
post #40 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Sound like it, and this sucks big time, retina, 4 or two cores, larger ram... What good do all these do on a storge level of 16 gb for a device hats not jut a laptop replacement but in many respects much more versatile than a laptop? 16g is ipod nano storage capacity, not iPad... A few albums, 20-30 apps, couple of games and movies and you are done, no room to store photos, take vids from the camera, store PDFs and content in reader apps, no iTunesu, podcasts, audiobooks, no large game apps, no storage for interactive books, etc. etc. and all that of course made even worse with iPad apps using retina resolution graphics...

Take a deeeeeep breath and relax. Tim and company have you covered. Large storage may be needed if this were an Android, but it's not... this device is magical.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's third-gen iPad rumored with more RAM, A5X dual-core CPU and LTE