or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple to release iOS 5.1 with expanded Siri language support

Apple to release iOS 5.1 with expanded Siri language support

post #1 of 35
Apple on Wednesday announced that the iOS 5.1 software update will be available today for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, including expanded support for Siri in Japanese.

iOS 5.1 is not yet available for download, but Apple promised at its iPad keynote that the software update will be available at some point today. Apple mentioned Japanese-language support for Siri, but offered little other detail on the iOS 5.1 software update.

It's expected that iOS 5.1 will update PhotoStream to allow users to delete individual photos stored in iCloud. It's also expected that a new camera slider feature will become available, making it easy for users to quickly access the camera on their iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 35
Yatta!

Happy camper here! The wife, too!

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #3 of 35
This might be the shortest article I have ever seen. Too bad the download isn't available yet.
post #4 of 35
It's not on iTunes yet. I just get the requested resource isn't found.
post #5 of 35
"Releases"? I assume it's not out yet and this is yet another case of AI misreporting?
post #6 of 35
Agree, if I don't care about Siri in Japanese then what do I get out of iOS 5.1? I'm not expecting miracles, but if they're rolling out a whole decimal upgrade of the iOS (when even the big battery fix and initial tweaks only rated a "x.01"), I'd expect to see some discussion about what's involved.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Agree, if I don't care about Siri in Japanese then what do I get out of iOS 5.1? I'm not expecting miracles, but if they're rolling out a whole decimal upgrade of the iOS (when even the big battery fix and initial tweaks only rated a "x.01"), I'd expect to see some discussion about what's involved.

So you've completely ignored all the fixes and features of iOS 5.1 in the multiple months they've been working on it?

It's not just Siri.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #8 of 35
Did any one catch when it would become available for download?
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiner View Post

Today, but later today.
post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiner View Post

It's available now.
post #11 of 35
I just hope that we finally get business searches via Siri in the UK
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

It's available now.

I see it on my iPhone now. It lists a bunch of changes including Siri, Photostream, Camera app, battery life and other quality issues.
post #13 of 35
Well my iPhone 4S is currently installing the update via OTA Software update. Will post any changes. Its kinda shocking apple did not release much information on this update.
- There’s no learning without trying lots of ideas and failing lots of times (Jonathan Ive)
- There’s no learning without trying lots of ideas and failing lots of times (Jonathan Ive)
post #14 of 35
@ iaeen. Where are you located (geographically speaking) that it's available to you? I know they sometimes release it in stages.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

It's available now.

Going down in 3...2...1...
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #16 of 35
iOS 5.1 now available via Wireless Software update on iDevice. Currently downloading on both iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
post #17 of 35
Ok, I can download it now. Anyone have a link outlining the changes, bug fixes, etc in the 5.1 update?
post #18 of 35
It is confirmed that the new camera unlock button is included as well as some other features. I don't have the full list as my iPhone is currently restarting after the update.
post #19 of 35
Does it now give you Personal Hotspot on iPad 2? Will be mighty pissed if they have limited it to the new iPad.
post #20 of 35
Apple actually fixed the Music app in 5.1. I'm pretty happy about that.

post #21 of 35
what's the build number for those that have been able to download the new 5.1?
post #22 of 35
Build is 9B179 on Verizon. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish in Philly.
MacBook Pro (early 2011)
2.3 GHz, 8 GB ram.
iPod Classic
iPhone 4S
MacBook Pro (early 2011)
2.3 GHz, 8 GB ram.
iPod Classic
iPhone 4S
post #23 of 35
Let me be the first to say it's snappy!
post #24 of 35
What do you mean slider camera access? Can you just double click the home button to access the camera without unlocking the phone?
post #25 of 35
in wireless software update, anyone encountered an error after the download and countdown?
post #26 of 35
Still not showing up here. I never upgraded to 5.0.1. When it checks that's the one it shows.
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by eehd View Post

What do you mean slider camera access? Can you just double click the home button to access the camera without unlocking the phone?

The Camera button always appears on the lock screen; you slide the button upward to get to the camera. There's a visual hint consisting of a couple of dark lines above and below the button, similar to the control you'd use to reorder lists in Edit mode in apps. Also, tapping the button causes the window to jump up a bit, revealing the camera controls behind it, but tapping or double-tapping doesn't enter camera mode, probably a good idea.

On another front, Siri's "Raise to Speak" detection seems to be no more reliable than in the previous rev. Maybe less reliable. Guess I need yoga lessons for perfect body control...
post #28 of 35
Anyone know if Siri will finally do geographical lookups outside the US?

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple actually fixed the Music app in 5.1. I'm pretty happy about that.

What was wrong with it? I think it was working just fine...
post #30 of 35
Dumbest question of the day, does the new iPad have Siri on it?
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
What is really factored into the price is a kind of perpetual sense of disbelief that any company could be as good as Apple is. ~Retrogusto
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

No. Filler.

When the answer to your question is short enough to get caught by the forum filter, you should really just go to Apple's website and see for yourself.

post #32 of 35
Surprise to see the notification this morning. Turn on my notebook wifi hotspot, download and upgrade my iPad2 to the iOS5.1. Took quite a long while like 30min to reboot. Apps also show 11 other apps including iBooks, iWorks (all 3), U iTunes....didn't done the upgrade for these yet as I'm in the office.

But found a minor bug - slide to Search Screen pops up the keyboard then slide on the blank screen to the main page keyboard stays put!
iMac i7
iMac i7
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybest View Post

Build is 9B179 on Verizon. Took about 20 minutes from start to finish in Philly.

I'm on iOS Developer thingy and had 5.1 for a while, somewhat buggy (build 9B5141a) ... Gold Master 5.1 not showing up in iPad 2 Software Update yet. Maybe I'll have to download manually from website or something.
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomine View Post

No, not dumb, no Siri. Quite a play by Apple. It does have "Dictation" (by Siri technology).
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

No, not dumb, no Siri. Quite a play by Apple. It does have "Dictation" (by Siri technology).

By Nuance technology. Siri has nothing to do with TTS or STT.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple to release iOS 5.1 with expanded Siri language support