or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation - Page 5

post #161 of 442
iPad 2S, yawn.
post #162 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

But not according to this review...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...laxy-tab_n.htm

Trust Anandtech before USA today.

Anandtech found 4G battery life to be 8.53 EVDO and 7.55 LTE hours.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4605/s...g-lte-review/3

That was with the display "set to never turn off/dim, auto brightness is disabled and screen brightness is calibrated to 200 nits." Certainly not the most battery-saving measures.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #163 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Last time I checked, I can have an ipad pretty much any place they sell it. What do you mean they can't keep it on store shelves? Where do you live that you have this problem? Come to northern VA, they're everywhere.

"This is just dumb." is a dumb retort. At least give me something to go on rather than your opinion of what's dumb and what isn't. The studios getting behind 3D, that's dumb? The tablet having a single person viewing and a single viewing angle, and now a high resolution, making the potential 3D experience better than that of a TV, that's dumb? Again, what is wrong with you?

Seriously? Do you not know how this works? If they are on store shelves (except for perhaps the Apple Store), they are sold. Best Buy / Walmart / Target buys the iPad from Apple and then they mark it up and sell to the consumer. When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books.

And go try to find yourself a new iPad and March 18th and come back here. If the shelves are full of them, then you are absolutely right and the smartest man alive. If not, well....
post #164 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Last time I checked, I can have an ipad pretty much any place they sell it. What do you mean they can't keep it on store shelves? Where do you live that you have this problem? Come to northern VA, they're everywhere.

"This is just dumb." is a dumb retort. At least give me something to go on rather than your opinion of what's dumb and what isn't. The studios getting behind 3D, that's dumb? The tablet having a single person viewing and a single viewing angle, and now a high resolution, making the potential 3D experience better than that of a TV, that's dumb? Again, what is wrong with you?



Uh . . . it's the iPad.

Look at Apple's quarters for the past several years, particularly the recent 2-3 quarters. That might give you a clue about why Apple doesn't need to lower prices in order to a) experience record sales, and b) continue to embarrass the competition.
post #165 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

iPad 2S, yawn.

what were the features that you wanted that would make you want to buy it?
post #166 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Seriously? Do you not know how this works? If they are on store shelves (except for perhaps the Apple Store), they are sold. Best Buy / Walmart / Target buys the iPad from Apple and then they mark it up and sell to the consumer. When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books.

Ah, a forum member who gets it
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #167 of 442
The keynote is now available to watch on the iPad page on Apple's website
post #168 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

1920*1200 = 2304000
ipad = 3145728

36%

Yeah, my estimation was very rough. But 36% or about 850k more pixels still drives home the point that this display has a lot more pixels than a 1900x1200 display.


edit: I get a 38% difference.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #169 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

1920*1200 = 2304000
ipad = 3145728

36%

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.
post #170 of 442
I think Eddie Cue lost the keys to the Apple Store
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #171 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And now we return to my original question, "Are there other devices that allow for 9 hours of LTE?" And since you've given none, your point is clear. Next, indeed.
.

Your question is irrelevant. LTE as a technology is still bad on battery period. It doesn't matter what the competition or anyone else is doing. Look it's great Apple continues to set the bar, but Apple doesn't deserve a pat on the back for getting to 9hrs because they used a 42.5w battery. And if your question is really 'devices', the RAZR MAXX (phone) certainly does it on LTE. Apple didn't do anything magical, they just put enough battery to hit the 9hr number they already established (on their tests...I'll wait for real world but should be close.)

This is what you waste your time nitpicking on in this thread? Same team man, Have you bothered to read the rest of this circus in here?
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #172 of 442
Since the iPad is now making strides into the corporate world I would really like it to become more like OSX, and get away from this oversized phone OS that they keep pushing. It needs to be more customizable, access to the filesystem, Java runtime, external storage, multiple accounts or at least an Administrator account, full access to the terminal and so on.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #173 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Aaah, okay that makes sense, so Apple is saying what is and isn't good for us. Even though I have never had a malware or virus in the last ten years of owning Apple products. Pretty lame Apple!

You've owned Apple products for 10 years, and just figured out that Apple says "...what is and isn't good for us?"
post #174 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.

The original comment was against tablets shipping with 1900x1200 displays.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #175 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Seriously? Do you not know how this works? If they are on store shelves (except for perhaps the Apple Store), they are sold. Best Buy / Walmart / Target buys the iPad from Apple and then they mark it up and sell to the consumer. When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books.

And go try to find yourself a new iPad and March 18th and come back here. If the shelves are full of them, then you are absolutely right and the smartest man alive. If not, well....

Seriously, is 'being a complete shithead to random strangers' a requirement to be a fan of Apple products or something?

Why is it one asshole after another responds to me like they are some delicate genius and I'm just some moron who doesn't get it?

The comment I was responding to was along the lines of "they can't keep them on the shelves." Grow up, learn some fucking manners. You could have easily responded to me and made your IRRELEVANT point without the snobbish douchbaggery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post



Uh . . . it's the iPad.

Look at Apple's quarters for the past several years, particularly the recent 2-3 quarters. That might give you a clue about why Apple doesn't need to lower prices in order to a) experience record sales, and b) continue to embarrass the competition.

Great, good for them. A lower price is still something people are ALLOWED to hope for, right?

You people are literally insane. Go remove that giant stick from your ass.

I'm done here. There's no conversation to be had on Apple products here unless you're absolutely praising them. Can't possibly ever post what you hoped to see, no no. Your hopes are determined by what Apple tells you! YAY SHEEPLE!
post #176 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...didn't state his wishes as demands or claim Apple was doomed or such nonsense.

Sometimes it is implied.
post #177 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.

Who cares both resolutions are incredible, geesh I think anything 720p and above is amazing on 10 inch screen.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #178 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

When an iPad is on a store shelf, it is sold in Apple's books..

Not necessarily. It is "shipped" for sure, but whether it is "sold" or not (at the end of the year) will depend on Apple's terms for returns with the retailer.
post #179 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You've owned Apple products for 10 years, and just figured out that Apple says "...what is and isn't good for us?"

Yea really, no its really just their mobile stuff that is closed tighter then a dolphins button. I have never seen such a closed OS and ecosystem that did so well, Microsoft is defiantly jealous.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #180 of 442
I will be interested to see how iPhoto works with getting existing photos to and from the iPad. I just do not see myself using the iPad to take pictures. Perhaps taking a picture on iPhone and editing it on the iPad, or sending photos from my Mac to edit on the iPad, but the transfer process needs to be on par with the rest of the Apple experience. It is just too hard now.

No reason in a post-iCloud world that photos are not (nearly) instantaneously available on my iPad when I take them on my iPhone or import them to my Macbook. I should be able to browse the thumbnails on iCloud and download the photo I need to work on.

Apple does not need to add an SD port, but they do need to make their cloud features work as they should.
post #181 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Apple didn't do anything magical, they just put enough battery to hit the 9hr number they already established ...

So what's your beef then? They didn't give you 15?
post #182 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I have never seen such a closed OS and ecosystem that did so well....

Obviously, a great deal of the world must feel differently about this issue than you do, which is why Apple's mobile devices are doing so well?

Why are you disparaging that just because it doesn't suit your tastes or needs?
post #183 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Seriously, is 'being a complete shithead to random strangers' a requirement to be a fan of Apple products or something?

Why is it one asshole after another responds to me like they are some delicate genius and I'm just some moron who doesn't get it?

The comment I was responding to was along the lines of "they can't keep them on the shelves." Grow up, learn some fucking manners. You could have easily responded to me and made your IRRELEVANT point without the snobbish douchbaggery.

Well I must have mistaken your tone. Usually I don't think people ending their post with a comment like, "Again, what is wrong with you?" are being polite. It seems pretty aggressive.

But that's just me.
post #184 of 442
Too soon to start talking about what we expect for the 2013 iPad? I'm hoping for a digitizer and some really great APIs, longer battery life, thinner, better cameras, and full Siri support.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #185 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I will be interested to see how iPhoto works with getting existing photos to and from the iPad. I just do not see myself using the iPad to take pictures. Perhaps taking a picture on iPhone and editing it on the iPad, or sending photos from my Mac to edit on the iPad, but the transfer process needs to be on par with the rest of the Apple experience. It is just too hard now.

No reason in a post-iCloud world that photos are not (nearly) instantaneously available on my iPad when I take them on my iPhone or import them to my Macbook. I should be able to browse the thumbnails on iCloud and download the photo I need to work on.

Apple does not need to add an SD port, but they do need to make their cloud features work as they should.

I recall something during the presentation that said (or implied) there was the ability to do over-the-air sync with other Apple devices? Anyone else recall? If so, it would be phenomenal if it could be done with the Mac as well.
post #186 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

GPU: SGX543MP4+, same as PS Vita.

You mean SGX543MP4. The "+" refers to extensions to the GPU that were co-developed by Sony and are exclusive to the Vita. It also has dedicated VRAM, probably on a separate bus. I doubt Apple actually care enough about game performance to bother with optimizations. Graphically the Vita should remain competitive with tablets for the next two years by virtue of being a dedicated game device.
post #187 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Who cares both resolutions are incredible, geesh I think anything 720p and above is amazing on 10 inch screen.

Above 1080p for me(yay new Apple TV) and I'm in no hurry to dump my iPad2 either...Samsung is supposedly/allegedly/rumored to be working on WQXGA 2560x1600 @10.1 for some time this year which would be 299ppi. Madness. Madness!
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #188 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So what's your beef then? They didn't give you 15?

20 is the next magic number come on its the year 2013 where are my nuclear batteries.

"Ohh! I'm sure that in 1985, plutonium is available at every corner drug store, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by."
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #189 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

APPLE'S TABLET COMPETITION:




Still.

I beg to differ! These tablets look awesomely tasty!
post #190 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

no I'm serious. Given where other tablets are, I thought Apple would raise the bar that high, but it's all good because the ipad 3 is still a great tablet. I guess I just revealed how highly I actually think of Apple.

Anyone claiming to be disappointed with the new iPad is crazy. It's like the iPhone 4S. Virtually everything is improved except the case. It's a great improvement - especially considering that the price doesn't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think he was complaining about the iPad's battery life.

To me he was saying that LTE sucks the death out of batteries.

Please explain how the new iPad is 10 hours on 3G and 9 hours on LTE if LTE sucks the life out of batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

When the 2012 iPad gets replaced by a newer one in 2013, what are they going to call the 2012 model? They can't refer to it as "the new iPad" anymore.

Do you routinely call your laptop a MacBook Pro 7.1? Or an iMac 5.2? No. You call it an MacBook Pro or an iPad. If you need to distinguish, you specify the date (early 2011 or late 2006) or the CPU (core2 duo 2.33). Same thing on the iPad. This one will be referred to as the iPad and if you need to distinguish it, it will be the 2012 model (or early 2012 if they were to release another one later this year - which doesn't seem likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yep memory is still at 512mb. Confirmed again by the Apple guys in the lobby. I think we should wait for confirmation though I can't believe Apple would only put 512mb in here. Then again I was surprised to here 512mb for the iPad 2.

Then why did Apple say it had more RAM than other devices that are known to have 512 MB?

I can't see any way that it's 512. Could be 768 or 1024 MB, but it's not 512.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Not wrong at all. Resolution is routinely expressed in one or two dimensions. To be non-ambiguous though, either way requires more than just numeric characters.

Ironically, other people here were arguing that "resolution" can only refer to density per area. That just goes to show that language can be imprecise and that it is pointless to try and deny that words are used in multiple ways.

Resolution is almost always expressed in pixels (dots, lines, etc) per inch. Apple reported it as 264 pixels per inch. That's a linear measurement. If Apple had reported it as 69,696 pixels per square inch, then you could consider it an area measurement.

In the few cases where resolution is used to describe area, it is specifically spelled out to make it clear (640x480, for example). Other than that, it's a linear measurement, expressed in pixels per inch.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #191 of 442
Has anyone else been able to Pre-order yet? The store is still timing out for me.
post #192 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not necessarily. It is "shipped" for sure, but whether it is "sold" or not (at the end of the year) will depend on Apple's terms for returns with the retailer.

I guess maybe I don't know the specifics of how Apple works with retailers. Usually though, merchandise that is on the shelves is recorded as a sale to the supplier/manufacturer.

If Apple has a unique arrangement and relationship with resellers, then I apologize for my comments.
post #193 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So what's your beef then? They didn't give you 15?

There's no beef with anyone, particularly Apple. I'd be fine with 9hrs (no plans upping my 2 anytime soon). Once again for the 8th or so time now my point is, hoping SOMEONE (Qualcomm?) finds a better way to optimize the darn LTE thing. I mean at 42.5w you're at near laptop battery size now.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #194 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Has anyone else been able to Pre-order yet? The store is still timing out for me.

Last time I check the store still said, "We'll be back soon"
post #195 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You people are literally insane. Go remove that giant stick from your ass.

I'm done here. There's no conversation to be had on Apple products here unless you're absolutely praising them. Can't possibly ever post what you hoped to see, no no. Your hopes are determined by what Apple tells you! YAY SHEEPLE!

Go to Mac Rumors instead. It's been overrun by anti-Apple trolls who have difficulty with seeing the painfully obvious.

You'll feel right at home there.
post #196 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Has anyone else been able to Pre-order yet? The store is still timing out for me.

I just got an order in for two 32GB wifi iPads.... I used this link to get there.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...ad/select_ipad
post #197 of 442
Aaargh... anyone else keep getting "Oops:error" messages when trying to order the new iPad via the Apple online store?
post #198 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Your question is irrelevant. LTE as a technology is still bad on battery period. It doesn't matter what the competition or anyone else is doing. Look it's great Apple continues to set the bar, but Apple doesn't deserve a pat on the back for getting to 9hrs because they used a 42.5w battery. And if your question is really 'devices', the RAZR MAXX (phone) certainly does it on LTE. Apple didn't do anything magical, they just put enough battery to hit the 9hr number they already established (on their tests...I'll wait for real world but should be close.)

If I recall correctly, Apple stated that it also gets 10 hours of battery life on wifi. 10 hours on wifi vs. 9 hours on 4G LTE is quite impressive. At this stage it means that the new chipset is either that efficient, that iOS is that power efficient working with 4G LTE, or a combination of both. (If they had simply used the battery to make up for terrible battery life on 4G LTE using their chipset there would be a bigger discrepancy between the two values). I haven't verified it, but I'm writing under the assumption that this is Qualcomm's new chipset, so we should see soon enough how this plays out in other various devices.

As for the RAZR MAXX, advertising that it is the 4G LTE phone that will get you through the day of regular use is not the most impressive thing I have ever read. I guess frequent recharging or battery swapping doesn't bother some people so maybe it's a non issue for many previous 4G LTE buyers.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #199 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loismustdie View Post

I wasn't expecting a revolution but this is a very easy pass, underwhelmed.

"Mom! I built a REAL rocket based on the macaroni prototype!!"
.
.
.

.
.
.
"eh." \
post #200 of 442
iPad 2 with Built-in 25-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery

iPad'3' with Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery


1.7x the watt-hour
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation