or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation - Page 6

post #201 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I beg to differ! These tablets look awesomely tasty!

Does that make English Muffins a forked version of toast?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #202 of 442
Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic (like the stock-price-inflating "rumor" about Senseg touch tech being incorporated into the tablet).

This is nothing like iPhone 4 --> iPhone 4s.

This is an iPad 2S.

Looks like Apple is adjusting its "Retina display" moniker by relaxing its standard.

From what Steve Jobs was boasting about in the release of iPhone 4, retina display = >300ppi (the limit that human retina can distinguish the distance between two closely spaced points on a screen)

This device is only 264ppi. Last time I checked that 264 < 300.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #203 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aaargh... anyone else keep getting "Oops:error" messages when trying to order the new iPad via the Apple online store?

Yeah. I've been able to chug through a few steps by refreshing here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic.

This is an iPad 2S.

Why is it that people who post this aren't bothered to list why they are disappointed?
If they're waiting for the 3D display they should get a head start on the Android ecosystem.

Edit: I see you added the content I commented on above.

Quote:

Looks like Apple is adjusting its "Retina display" moniker by relaxing its standard.

From what Steve Jobs was boasting about in the release of iPhone 4, retina display = >300ppi (the limit that human retina can distinguish the distance between two closely spaced points on a screen)

This is due to a misunderstanding of what a 'Retina display' is. The target ppi is relative to the distance from the eyes at which the device is actually going to be used under normal circumstances. An iPad is held farther from the eyes than an iPhone. Just as a computer monitor would be seated farther than the iPad is held, a television positioned farther away than a computer monitor would be seated. Thus, in each case, the ppi needed for a 'Retina display' drops. The new iPad exceeds the ppi requirement outlined by Apple for a 'Retina display' (and it isn't marketing nonsense—it is an accurate representation) so they're in the clear on this point.

And there are significant technical issues that would be associated with a higher resolution anyway. It had to be 2x.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #204 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I guess maybe I don't know the specifics of how Apple works with retailers. Usually though, merchandise that is on the shelves is recorded as a sale to the supplier/manufacturer.

If Apple has a unique arrangement and relationship with resellers, then I apologize for my comments.

There's no need for an apology!

I don't know what the facts are either, but I don't think it's as categorical as "it's booked as a sale if it's on Best Buy's shelves". If that were the case, we'd see a lot more discounting on these products when a new one is introduced, no?
post #205 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Too soon to start talking about what we expect for the 2013 iPad? I'm hoping for a digitizer and some really great APIs, longer battery life, thinner, better cameras, and full Siri support.

Didn't Jobs once say that the digitizer was dead? I'm with you though I have a Samsung Note and I use the pen every day. I used to carry around a small notebook and pen but not anymore. Best purchase I've made in long time, what an incredible phone.

So yes iPad3, digitizer is a must, that 41 megapixel sensor that Nokia just introduced, throw that in there for good measure, quad core cpu, 2 GB of memory, miniSD card, removable battery, OSX, loose that phone OS please and longer battery life.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #206 of 442
Quote:

I don't know what the facts are either, but I don't think it's as categorical as "it's booked as a sale if it's on Best Buy's shelves". If that were the case, we'd see a lot more discounting on these products when a new one is introduced, no?

If Apple reported "sold" as 'sold to resellers such as Best Buy', why aren't we hearing any "shipped, not sold!" cries about Apple products and only about Samsung, et. al.?

That's my question on the whole issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

So yes iPad3, digitizer is a must, that 41 megapixel sensor that Nokia just introduced, throw that in there for good measure, quad core cpu, 2 GB of memory, miniSD card, removable battery, OSX, loose that phone OS please and longer battery life.

This is the iPad 3. Do you mean the iPad 4? Rather, the 4th iPad?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #207 of 442
In the new iPad commercial where the user is stroking additional plants into the painting, is it my imagination or are those shapes very much like the ones Samsung shows being added with a stylus in its ad for their stylus-based product? A subtle message, perhaps?
post #208 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1080))/(1920 x 1080)) x 100% = 51.7%.

((2048 x 1536) - (1920 x 1200))/(1920 x 1200)) x 100%

=

36.53%
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #209 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please explain how the new iPad is 10 hours on 3G and 9 hours on LTE if LTE sucks the life out of batteries.

iPad 2012 has a 42 WHr while iPad 2011 has a 25 WHr battery. So, it appears Apple is using 40 nm LTE devices and therefore are drawing a lot power compared to HSPA devices at the same node.

However, the 10 hr of WiFi browsing is interesting. If the A5X and the display are using the same amount of power as the A5 and display in the iPad 2, it really should be about 18 hr of WiFi browsing on the new iPad. So either Apple is way lowballing the WiFi performance times or something interesting is occurring here.
post #210 of 442
Got my order in for iPad (3rd generation) and Apple TV (3rd generation) just as APPL rolled into the plus column for the day... good sign!
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #211 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I've had two wives. They're not as hard to find as one would think.

Poor man
post #212 of 442
Quote:

Didn't Jobs once say that the digitizer was dead?

I don't recall that. He did mention that you shouldn't need a stylus to use a phone... he's right. But that doesn't mean there aren't very real applications that could use a Wacom digitizer and stylus.

Quote:

iPad 2012 has a 42 WHr while iPad 2011 has a 25 WHr battery. So, it appears Apple is using 40 nm LTE devices and therefore are drawing a lot power compared to HSPA devices at the same node.

However, the 10 hr of WiFi browsing is interesting. If the A5X and the display are using the same amount of power as the A5 and display in the iPad 2, it really should be about 18 hr of WiFi browsing on the new iPad. So either Apple is way lowballing the WiFi performance times or something interesting is occurring here.

So despite the 1.7x larger battery that still only gets 10 hours of usage, like the iPad 2, even without an LTE chip you have determined the additional power drain is from LTE with an MDM9600 (40nm) chip? That makes no sense as the 42.5 Whr battery is in the WiFi-only iPad, too.

Simple answer: The display path needs more power to work.

post #213 of 442
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch

lololol, I love how this guy just makes stuff up. Propietary file systems. rofl. When you have no idea what you're talking about, you should be reading, not writing.

Then why doesn't the iPad have a miniSD or a proper filemanger that doesn't require me to connect to an external computer if I want to simply add a folder.

iOS uses a HFS+ variant, just like OS X, which you could call proprietary, but it's well known and documented, and supported by many programs and operating systems not made by Apple. None of this has anything to do with why there is no manual filesystem management or an SD slot on iOS devices anyway.

There is no direct/manual filesystem access in iOS, because it doesn't fit the storage paradigm iOS uses, which is that applications live in their own sandbox, and in general do not have any access to filesystem locations outside of it. The whole filesystem hierarchy is based around this idea, and you don't want to have to browse it manually because that would be extremely confusing and unintuitive. If applications need to share information there are application API's for that (e.g. to get to photo's, contacts, music, etc), which in general rely on the user not messing with the file system or just throwing files in some folder and expecting other applications to be able to access them. That's how every iOS application works, that's how the OS was designed. Then there's also the long-term vision of using iCloud to synchronize stuff between devices and applications, of course.

Throwing a Windows-like file manager into that mix doesn't make a lot of sense, I doubt if many power-users would even use it.
post #214 of 442
I can hardly wait for iTunes Movie Match!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #215 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If Apple reported "sold" as 'sold to resellers such as Best Buy', why aren't we hearing any "shipped, not sold!" cries about Apple products and only about Samsung, et. al.?

That's my question on the whole issue.

That's a good question, and agrees with my premise that what is counted as "sold" at the end of the quarter is net of returns from the customer (incl. the retail) chain.
post #216 of 442
Quote:

i hope htye are lowballing the wifi, cos LTE is pointless around most of the world so I wont be getting it, and my current ipad2 never got the claimed battery life
post #217 of 442
I enjoyed the live blog on Engadget but as cool as the new iPad is, I don't think most average people who already own an iPad will find it to be an absolute must have. I know I don't and it isn't about the money. I just don't see a need for it. The more powerful they get, the less I need it. I just use it for casual browsing and emailing. I have several real computers for anything that requires traditional capabilities like saving a picture and uploading it to some location or downloading a pdf and attaching it to an email.

The iPad is an in between type of device. I has a lot of conveniences and a lot of compromises. If I ever try to do anything even slightly out of the scope of web browsing or emailing it only makes me frustrated. I don't play games or watch movies, listen to music or use more than a few free apps other than the stock Apple ones and iWork on rare occasion. The new one is nice but, meh...whatever.. I think I'll wait a few more revisions before I bother to replace my current one. I don't care about the high resolution display. The current one seems fine to me and I already have LTE hotspot.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #218 of 442
Quote:

Quote:

Highly disappointed.

I was expecting something more drastic.

This is an iPad 2S.

This device is only 264ppi. Last time I checked that 264 < 300.

Oh, this is very much a 3rd generation device. Sure having a larger DPI count and better rez isn't very important on screen that is smaller then 10 inches but the technology is incredible. The cpu is faster as well as the graphics card, much, much much better camera faster wireless technology.

So yeah it's not mind blowing but have you seen the competition, there really isn't much else out there that can stand in Apples way. If it wasn't for Android 3.2 or 4.03 being a much better tablet OS then iOS no one would buy the very few alternative tablets that are being sold now.

I really hope this year the other tablet manufactures step up their game in a big way. Not because I'm a Apple hater and want to see them fail quite the opposite maybe it would push Apple more to come out with even better stuff. Right now Apple is clearly winning the hearts of the consumer.
post #219 of 442
Quote:

Unlike someone who shall remain nameless Chronster didn't state his wishes as demands or claim Apple was doomed or such nonsense. I don't think his requests are sound, especially when taken all at once, but he's certainly not trolling.

No, he is not trolling. But there is a number of people who's default position is negative, contrarian and miserable. Some people are like that, some become like that in older age (Ireland?), and they are all curmudgeons. There's no point in arguing with them - its like pissing against the wind.
post #220 of 442
Keynote's up:

Video quality is amazing... best I've seen for a keynote.

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #221 of 442
I've been ordering from the Apple Store on-line for six years almost every time a new product comes out. Today was the longest wait I've ever had. Salesperson said it was busiest she had ever seen it. I got a 64GIG IPAD 3 with 4G, and a 32GIG IPAD 3with WIFI. I'm actually blown away by all the improvements. I do wish they had one with 128GIG.
post #222 of 442
Quote:

Not necessarily. The agreements would probably dictate the price they can resell an iPad for. Best Buy has to stick to whatever terms they agreed to.

The agreements Apple has with retailers are more like that. They specify things where iPads are in the store, how much they can or cannot sell them for, how they are displayed, and stuff like that.

In return, Best Buy gets a per-arranged price that they can pay Apple for iPads. Incidentally, that is one reason it took the original iPad a while to appear on store shelves. Apple had to prove it would sell before they made agreements.

Like I said, this is how it how it normally works. I could be wrong and someone with more experience in retail can correct me if I am wrong.
post #223 of 442
Pre-ordered!
post #224 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Got my order in for iPad (3rd generation) and Apple TV (3rd generation) just as APPL rolled into the plus column for the day... good sign!

Lucky you! \

I keep getting to "continue" (to get the order into my cart) and it says "Oops...". Very frustrating.
post #225 of 442
Quote:

Not necessarily. The agreements would probably dictate the price they can resell an iPad for. Best Buy has to stick to whatever terms they agreed to.

The agreements Apple has with retailers are more like that. They specify things where iPads are in the store, how much they can or cannot sell them for, how they are displayed, and stuff like that.

In return, Best Buy gets a per-arranged price that they can pay Apple for iPads. Incidentally, that is one reason it took the original iPad a while to appear on store shelves. Apple had to prove it would sell before they made agreements.

Like I said, this is how it how it normally works. I could be wrong and someone with more experience in retail can correct me if I am wrong.

Actually, I should clarify I was speaking hypothetically. Assuming Apple gets terms that are similar to what other companies get, then this is what those agreement probably look like. I have no idea what they ACTUALLY look like.
post #226 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-range View Post

iOS uses a HFS+ variant, just like OS X, which you could call proprietary, but it's well known and documented, and supported by many programs and operating systems not made by Apple. None of this has anything to do with why there is no manual filesystem management or an SD slot on iOS devices anyway.

There is no direct/manual filesystem access in iOS, because it doesn't fit the storage paradigm iOS uses, which is that applications live their own sandbox, and in general do not have any access to filesystem locations outside of it. The whole filesystem hierarchy is based around this idea, and you don't want to have to browse it manually because that would be extremely confusing and unintuitive. If applications need to share information there are application API's for that (e.g. to get to photo's, contacts, music, etc), which in general rely on the user not messing with the file system or just throwing files in some folder and expecting other applications to be able to access them. That's how every iOS application work, that's how the OS was designed.

Adding a Windows-like file manager to that idea doesn't make a lot of sense, I doubt if many power-users would even use it.

Basically making total data backups a complete nightmare. I run a 3 line script on my Asus Slider that basicly tars up my home directory, gzips it, ftps into a directory on my server pushes the file, and then closes the connection. All ran from a cron that goes off 3 times a week.

I really hope now that the iPad is making headway into the corporate arena that Apple will release a lite version of OSX for their tablets instead of iOS, it's just to much of a phone OS.
post #227 of 442
Regarding the various discussions regarding the iPad as a 'Retina display' device, the reduced ppi, etc., here is some good reading for a better understanding of the 'Retina display' concept.

Retinay Display Macs, iPads, and HiDPI: Doing the Math
  Samuel Johnson
  Samuel Johnson
post #228 of 442
As a side note I noticed and Android blog saying essentially, "We're screwed...." (in reference to Android tablets).

post #229 of 442
Quote:

Not necessarily. It is "shipped" for sure, but whether it is "sold" or not (at the end of the year) will depend on Apple's terms for returns with the retailer.

Apple reports returns in their investor reports? Where?

Apple says that in most instances shipped equals sold as far as they're concerned, but you already knew that.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #230 of 442
Quote:

So despite the 1.7x larger battery that still only gets 10 hours of usage, like the iPad 2, even without an LTE chip you have determined the additional power drain is from LTE with an MDM9600 (40nm) chip? That makes no sense as the 42.5 Whr battery is in the WiFi-only iPad, too.

I predicated my supposition on the SoC and the display having the same power draw as the ones in the iPad 2.

It may be that the A5x or the display draws a lot more power, but I'm thinking not. The big power draw on the display will be the backlight, and I'm thinking they are fairly similar. In addition, if these are IGZO displays, it should be a quite efficient display. IGZO has 30% better electron mobility than amorphous silicon. The A5x should also be about the same power as the A5 as I don't think Apple would put in a bigger heat source in the package.

On the other hand, LTE chipsets are known to draw about 2x the power of comparative HSPA/CDMA chipsets. So, yeah, going with LTE being the big power drain is a pretty safe assumption now.

Quote:
Simple answer: The display path needs more power to work.

If the WiFi battery performance testing proves to be 10 hours, then it'll be the A5x or the display. Wait and see.
post #231 of 442
Yeah, that is a good article. At least for people who are interested in reason and facts. It doesn't much help if your aim is simply to hate on Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Regarding the various discussions regarding the iPad as a 'Retina display' device, the reduced ppi, etc., here is some good reading for a better understanding of the 'Retina display' concept.

Retinay Display Macs, iPads, and HiDPI: Doing the Math
post #232 of 442
I thought Apple didnt need to boast about specifications to sell its products against companies who use Android?

I thought the usability is what is going to sell their products?

Why is Apple boasting about...... specifications?

post #233 of 442
I've preordered it.

For those having problems reaching the site:

Wi-Fi + 4G: LTE (700, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

This is from the Canadian page. Note that the UMTS bands are the same as the 3G model, so no T-Mobile/Wind support unless "2100" secretly means "1700/2100 AWS."

On the US site:
Wi-Fi + 4G for AT&T model:
LTE (700, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

Wi-Fi + 4G for Verizon model:
LTE (700 MHz)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

So this suggests the MDM9200 in the AT&T/Canada model and the MDM9600 in the Verizon model. Or they might use the same chip in both.

The Canadian carriers, Bell/Telus have 1700Mhz AWS LTE and 700Mhz LTE, Rogers is 2100Mhz (not AWS) and 2600 LTE.

AT&T's LTE is on 700Mhz, and so is Verizon's. So it's looking at this point that T-Mobile needs to put LTE on 700Mhz too if they want the iPad and next iPhone. The rumor is that they'll be using the same technology and bands AT&T uses going forward, which is a good thing.

Sprint is kinda toast at this point if they don't put LTE on the 700Mhz band too.
post #234 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

There's no beef with anyone, particularly Apple. I'd be fine with 9hrs (no plans upping my 2 anytime soon). Once again for the 8th or so time now my point is, hoping SOMEONE (Qualcomm?) finds a better way to optimize the darn LTE thing. I mean at 42.5w you're at near laptop battery size now.

Quote:

OK. Let's see if we can walk the two of you through this.

You can't compare the iPad 3 to the iPad 2. They have different processors, different batteries, and different screens. It is meaningless to try to determine LTE efficiency by comparing the 2 to the 3.

What you can do is compare the iPad 3 on LTE to the iPad 3 on 3G. Same screen, same battery, same processor. Running on 3G, you get 10 hours. Running on LTE, you get 9.

Sounds to me like LTE is not killing battery life as the two of you keep asserting.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #235 of 442
Quote:

I thought Apple didnt need to boast about specifications to sell its products against companies who use Android?

I thought the usability is what is going to sell their products?

Why is Apple boasting about...... specifications?

When did they ever say that? That was an old misconception that was created when Apple went to PowerPC back in the 90's and Intel started creating faster CPUs.

Well Apple now has the best hardware available on their tablets so you better believe that they're going to shout that fact so everyone can here.
post #236 of 442
Vlingo was just updated in the iTunes store...
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #237 of 442
Good retina display, much needed by some such as myself, and I am definitely getting an iPad 3.

Any news on the ram, sorry but I didn't read the whole thread?

Other than that, as a lot of us have been saying before release 16gb storage is a joke, and apple should be ashamed for going 3 years until the next iPad without any bump in the storage whatsoever. No matter what the apologists here will say I cannot stomach how the entry model has the capacity of the iPod nano when it can do oh about 10,000 things more than the nano....

What's also less than exciting is the updates on ios front.

Well, anyway, looking forward a lot to the new display, should make my reading very enjoyable, but that's pretty much what the iPad 3 is about...
post #238 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

"Mom! I built a REAL rocket based on the macaroni prototype!!"

"eh." \

Lol that never gets old, although only those with small kids knows what your talking about.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #239 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Underwhelmed. I'll wait for the next one. No surprises either and what about larger storage space. Can't edit high quality film and photos with only 16GB of storage.

Well then buy one of the OTHER iPad choices with the BIGGER storage options?
post #240 of 442
Quote:

As a side note I noticed and Android blog saying essentially, "We're screwed...." (in reference to Android tablets).

Hehe, yeah I can imagine, the iPad 3 is one hell of a machine. They'll catch up quickly though especially when Windows 8 for arm finally ships. You know what though I still prefer my Asus Slider as my everyday tablet though. Android 4.03 is such a great tablet OS, so much better then iOS especially with the Sliders built in keyboard. I've actually started using it a lot more now that I have to travel for work. Yes of course I still use my iPad2 but just for music creation and a few games and applications that I can't get on the Android platform.

Actually I'm a big advocate of both platforms, they both have their weaknesses and strengths. You can never say that one is better then other as their both really different monsters all together.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation