or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation - Page 10

post #361 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

What exactly would be the point of having 48-bit color. How many colors do you think the human eye can discern?

Do you think 120 frames per second are better than 60 frames per second as well?

You missed Solip's sarcasm tag, see it now? I missed it too once. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #362 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

So when I plug in my Android phone and can drag and drop music and movies (avi, divx, flv, wmv) onto the SD card, that's complete garbage is it?

Äh, that's what people use android for. A SD Reader/Writer. How cool!
post #363 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Plus I really need a Linux terminal and filemanger for my work.

When you say you need a Linux terminal for work, I guess you really need an SSH client where you get a terminal to control OTHER Linux machines, right?

If that is the case, iPad has quite a few options for you. Just check out the App Store.

Unless you are an iOS Jailbreaker at work, I can't see why you need to get terminal access to the iPad itself!
post #364 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect there aren't 1 million users that need to run ssh on a tablet (with the possible exception of IT specialists managing a farm of headless servers).

The iPad is a great SSH client - there are several SSH apps on the App Store. If you have a farm of headless servers that run SSHD on the public internet, nothing stops you from using an iPad.

However, there is one catch. The whole idea of a virtual keyboard is that there can be multiple keyboards for multiple tasks. Unix terminal users are accustomed to doing everything with the keyboard - so these SSH clients should also use keyboards that are conducive for that sort of stuff. All the current SSH clients use the default Apple keyboard - which is not convenient if you want to do a lot of Ctrl+Key typing - which is required in Unix. Everytime I use SSH, it really irritates me when I want to use TAB for file/command completion, or Esc within VI. It works, but is not optimal.

How hard would it be to allow a full keyboard functionality with a multitouch virtual keyboard in landscape mode?
post #365 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

The iPad is a great SSH client - there are several SSH apps on the App Store. If you have a farm of headless servers that run SSHD on the public internet, nothing stops you from using an iPad.

However, there is one catch. The whole idea of a virtual keyboard is that there can be multiple keyboards for multiple tasks. Unix terminal users are accustomed to doing everything with the keyboard - so these SSH clients should also use keyboards that are conducive for that sort of stuff. All the current SSH clients use the default Apple keyboard - which is not convenient if you want to do a lot of Ctrl+Key typing - which is required in Unix. Everytime I use SSH, it really irritates me when I want to use TAB for file/command completion, or Esc within VI. It works, but is not optimal.

How hard would it be to allow a full keyboard functionality with a multitouch virtual keyboard in landscape mode?

That's great, I'm going to have a look at that. As far as the keyboard goes, I suppose the wireless keyboard is at least a current solution. \
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #366 of 442
Man I love apple - but! I think they are slipping..

Apple is not meant to have loose ends. Apple users are never meant to be left confused, and for the first time, I am left confused.

Honestly, I am scared for the future of this company already.

Let me explain my beef with the new ipad.

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.
If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Why drop the number? What reason is there? It has made googling now and henceforth a bit more difficult when you want to trouble shoot.

3) Facetime HD Camera. Come on - the one thing I want to do is talk to my parents using Facetime! An ipad is much easier to use than a PC and my parents are not exactly computer engineers. Was an HD camera that difficult to implement Apple?

I actually went from being a definite buy on the IPAD3 (I will call it this - Apple go to hell) to having distaste in my mouth.

Sorry guys - this is just my opinion on the whole thing.
post #367 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.
If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Adding a 3 at the end won't do shit because nearly every page on the internet will contain a number 3.

You could do a search for the iPad LTE and get all the info you want. Here it is right on Apple's online store saying they offer it as WiFi and WiFi+4G. If you want to know which carriers offer LTE then you need to access their sites to check. Not that tough especially considering the links to the carrier's sites are in the link provided.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #368 of 442
I bet you, that people will be left holding IPAD HD, 3 whatever in the UK, which doesn't work with LTE when the UK LTE is launched.

Mark my words.
post #369 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

Man I love apple - but! I think they are slipping..

Apple is not meant to have loose ends. Apple users are never meant to be left confused, and for the first time, I am left confused.

Honestly, I am scared for the future of this company already.

Let me explain my beef with the new ipad.

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.
If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Why drop the number? What reason is there? It has made googling now and henceforth a bit more difficult when you want to trouble shoot.

3) Facetime HD Camera. Come on - the one thing I want to do is talk to my parents using Facetime! An ipad is much easier to use than a PC and my parents are not exactly computer engineers. Was an HD camera that difficult to implement Apple?

I actually went from being a definite buy on the IPAD3 (I will call it this - Apple go to hell) to having distaste in my mouth.

Sorry guys - this is just my opinion on the whole thing.

Welcome to AI

You are over-thinking some things here. What was released is a new iPad. That's what it is, the iPad, the name does not need qualifying. A good move I believe.

The FaceTime camera is specifically intended to stream data. The reverse camera is specifically intended to produce data (images) to be managed at least initially, internal to the device. The FaceTime camera in many circumstances would not take advantage of higher resolutions.

The device released today of necessity, balances many sometimes competing goals and I believe that again, does so quite well.

All the best.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #370 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

When you say you need a Linux terminal for work, I guess you really need an SSH client where you get a terminal to control OTHER Linux machines, right?

If that is the case, iPad has quite a few options for you. Just check out the App Store.

Unless you are an iOS Jailbreaker at work, I can't see why you need to get terminal access to the iPad itself!

Actually I am using my Asus Slider more and more like a laptop because the OS is so versatile. I am a programmer and I actually have a LAMP server running on my tablet. I also have, Python, Perl, Ruby and now a Java SDK kit. The Asus Slider is a hybrid, it has a keyboard that well slides out from the bottom so I use a bluetooth mouse and I have a pretty neat portable development machine.

Now there are very few people that would ever use such a setup but what about a filemanager with access to
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #371 of 442
Watching the keynote I noticed that when Voice Dictation was enabled the wireless wheel was spinning indicating the Tx/RX of data. It also took a second for the spoken text to propagate into the email and did it at the end, not while it was spoken. It's looking like it's server-side.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

That's what it is, the iPad, the name does not need qualifying.

It also doesn't need the entire thing spelled in caps.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #372 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Welcome to AI

You are over-thinking some things here. What was released is a new iPad. That's what it is, the iPad, the name does not need qualifying. A good move I believe.

The FaceTime camera is specifically intended to stream data. The reverse camera is specifically intended to produce data (images) to be managed at least initially, internal to the device. The FaceTime camera in many circumstances would not take advantage of higher resolutions.

The device released today of necessity, balances many sometimes competing goals and I believe that again, does so quite well.

All the best.

Thank you! I have been following AI for a long time! It is a great community and I love this place. Sorry, I actually registered to voice my concerns...man I love Apple. Honestly! But I am worried about it going forward!
post #373 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

I bet you, that people will be left holding IPAD HD, 3 whatever in the UK, which doesn't work with LTE when the UK LTE is launched.

Mark my words.

Mark your words? Really? Why not just read the tech specs. They clearly state 700 and 2100MHz frequencies. and state "4G LTE supported on AT&T and Verizon networks in the US; Bell, Rogers and Telus networks in Canada." You can then compare that with UK LTE to see if any carrier is including LTE on those spectrums. How much more of an explanation do you want besides having all the info presented to you?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #374 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drealoth View Post

I am really curious to see how the iPad can push that many pixels, especially in more graphically intensive games. Most desktop computers would struggle with that resolution.

The next several generations of Apple products are going to be interesting. Now that resolution is no longer a feature that's worth improving on, I'm curious to see what the next generations of iPhone/iPads will do to distinguish themselves.

Let's see:

Quad CPU core a6 with improved GPU core.

Stereo speakers.

SD card slot.

Oled screen technology.

Improved battery technology.

IOS improvements.
post #375 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Mark your words? Really? Why not just read the tech specs. They clearly state 700 and 2100MHz frequencies. and state "4G LTE supported on AT&T and Verizon networks in the US; Bell, Rogers and Telus networks in Canada." You can then compare that with UK LTE to see if any carrier is including LTE on those spectrums. How much more of an explanation do you want besides having all the info presented to you?

http://www.slashgear.com/new-ipad-4g...rica-08217470/

There we go.... :-)
post #376 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

I bet you, that people will be left holding IPAD HD, 3 whatever in the UK, which doesn't work with LTE when the UK LTE is launched.

Mark my words.

From what I've read, LTE frequencies in the UK won't become available until 2013 (when analogue TV signals are shut down) at which time we will probably be hearing about the 4th gen iPad.

In the meantime, Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile and Orange), Three (3) and O2 have plans to roll out 21Mbit/s HSPA+ nationwide by Q3 2012 which according to Phil Schiller, the new iPad will be able to support.

Personally, I'd wait until the UK frequencies are up and running before going for an LTE iPad.
post #377 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

From what I've read, LTE frequencies in the UK won't become available until 2013 (when analogue TV signals are shut down) at which time we will probably be hearing about the 4th gen iPad.

In the meantime, Everything Everywhere (T-Mobile and Orange), Three (3) and O2 have plans to roll out 21Mbit/s HSPA+ nationwide by Q3 2012 which according to Phil Schiller, the new iPad will be able to support.

Personally, I'd wait until the UK frequencies are up and running before going for an LTE iPad.

I've seen the same comments that the new iPad's LTE will be largely useless outside of North America. Give it another 9-18 months tho, it's in the works if you live in the UK.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #378 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

I bet you, that people will be left holding IPAD HD, 3 whatever in the UK, which doesn't work with LTE when the UK LTE is launched.

Mark my words.

Look it up. The UK uses an incompatible spectrum:
http://www.talkandroid.com/93587-eve.../#.T1im01HC9Rc

Apple can't be responsible for the fact that LTE is so badly fragmented. If the volume is high enough, they can release a UK model later, but for now, there's no market.

And if lots of people are going to buy an iPad to run LTE in the UK, then Brits need to look at their educational system to teach people how to read. The iPad is not marketed as offering LTE in the UK, nor is there even a functional LTE system in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

Man I love apple - but! I think they are slipping..

Apple is not meant to have loose ends. Apple users are never meant to be left confused, and for the first time, I am left confused.

Honestly, I am scared for the future of this company already.

Let me explain my beef with the new ipad.

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the UK doesn't have LTE yet?

Apple didn't mention whether LTE would work in Nigeria, either. Apple is doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.
If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Why drop the number? What reason is there? It has made googling now and henceforth a bit more difficult when you want to trouble shoot.

Because numbering the product is a silly system. You don't buy an iMac 7.2 - you buy an iMac. You don't buy a MacBook Pro 4.1 - you buy a MacBook Pro. If you need to further identify the product, you specify the date (early 2011). Nothing at all confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

3) Facetime HD Camera. Come on - the one thing I want to do is talk to my parents using Facetime! An ipad is much easier to use than a PC and my parents are not exactly computer engineers. Was an HD camera that difficult to implement Apple?

I guess I fail to see why you need 5 MP in a FaceTime camera. You don't think you can recognize the person at 640x480? Just how much resolution is needed - do you need to see the detailed outline of every pimple? And keep in mind that the more resolution you have in your FaceTime camera, the more data you're sending back and forth - eating up your data plan.

Personally, I'd rather have 'only' 640x480 rather than flood my data plan. That may be the reason Apple chose a lower resolution camera or there may be other reasons, but I haven't seen any justification as to why more is needed. And the idea that it's a deal breaker is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

I actually went from being a definite buy on the IPAD3 (I will call it this - Apple go to hell) to having distaste in my mouth.

Sorry guys - this is just my opinion on the whole thing.

No problem. That leaves one more for someone else.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #379 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Welcome to AI

You are over-thinking some things here. What was released is a new iPad. That's what it is, the iPad, the name does not need qualifying. A good move I believe.

The FaceTime camera is specifically intended to stream data. The reverse camera is specifically intended to produce data (images) to be managed at least initially, internal to the device. The FaceTime camera in many circumstances would not take advantage of higher resolutions.

The device released today of necessity, balances many sometimes competing goals and I believe that again, does so quite well.

All the best.

More importantly, do you really need to be streaming a 5 MP image when you're chatting with a friend? Imagine the data usage charges.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #380 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post


1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!



According to

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/ipad_4g/

There will be no LTE iPads working outside of North America, further if you buy the Verizon version you won't be able to use it on AT&T later (and visa versa).

If the above is true then I really am surprised that Apple would have jumped on the LTE bandwagon before standards harmonisation, but I guess fragmentation has to occur at some point in an OSes development.

Not sure how this will impact on sales outside of the USA.


EDIT------------ Posted before realising that the topic had been covered...
post #381 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

According to

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/ipad_4g/

There will be no LTE iPads working outside of North America, further if you buy the Verizon version you won't be able to use it on AT&T later (and visa versa).

If the above is true then I really am surprised that Apple would have jumped on the LTE bandwagon before standards harmonisation, but I guess fragmentation has to occur at some point in an OSes development.

Not sure how this will impact on sales outside of the USA.

Why should Apple wait? It's not like the situation's going to be any better next year than it is now. The UK will have an incompatible LTE network - as will many other countries. Apple gains absolutely nothing by delaying.

After countries have set up their networks, if their volume is high enough (and if the Qualcomm chip supports their network), then Apple can always release a new version later. But I think it's likely that many smaller countries will be out of luck on LTE if they choose an incompatible frequency.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #382 of 442
EDIT: the first part of this was written after a confusing interaction with my local Softbank shop and will be revised once more info gets out. As of Friday evening Japan time, Softbank still hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the new iPad on their homepage, despite having a link from Apple's site.

---
Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out. I used a portable wifi with my first iPad, ditched it for the iPad 2, yet still have it. Though I could resurrect it (it's currently a paperweight on my desk), it is a bummer going backwards. Softbank for some reason doesn't allow the iPhone to serve as a hotspot, so that isn't an option.

For the first time, I will wait to buy. (already own an iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S so I'm not hurting)
--


However, the software updates today, especially Siri in Japanese, have made me a happy camper.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #383 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Look it up. The UK uses an incompatible spectrum:
http://www.talkandroid.com/93587-eve.../#.T1im01HC9Rc

Apple can't be responsible for the fact that LTE is so badly fragmented.

If the volume is high enough, they can release a UK model later, but for now, there's no market.

And if lots of people are going to buy an iPad to run LTE in the UK, then Brits need to look at their educational system to teach people how to read. The iPad is not marketed as offering LTE in the UK, nor is there even a functional LTE system in the UK.



I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the UK doesn't have LTE yet?

Apple didn't mention whether LTE would work in Nigeria, either. Apple is doomed.


I guess I fail to see why you need 5 MP in a FaceTime camera. You don't think you can recognize the person at 640x480? Just how much resolution is needed - do you need to see the detailed outline of every pimple? And keep in mind that the more resolution you have in your FaceTime camera, the more data you're sending back and forth - eating up your data plan.

Personally, I'd rather have 'only' 640x480 rather than flood my data plan. That may be the reason Apple chose a lower resolution camera or there may be other reasons, but I haven't seen any justification as to why more is needed. And the idea that it's a deal breaker is just silly.



No problem. That leaves one more for someone else.



Granted, Apple are not ultimately responsible for the fact that LTE is fragmented. By the same token that weren't forced to follow the path of fragmentation.

Rather than suggesting that Brits are thick perhaps you should consider that customers purchase new devices in the hope that they will be able to utilise some of the features at a future date.

Germany has a population of 81m, a functional and established LTE network but wont be supported. Do you deem them to be too small a market? The EU has 500m...

With regard to Facetime calls- I thought that these were only officially supported via wifi, how does it impact upon your cellular tariff?
post #384 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out. I used a portable wifi with my first iPad, ditched it for the iPad 2, yet still have it. Though I could resurrect it (it's currently a paperweight on my desk), it is a bummer going backwards. Softbank for some reason doesn't allow the iPhone to serve as a hotspot, so that isn't an option.

For the first time, I will wait to buy. (already own an iPad 1, iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S so I'm not hurting)

However, the software updates today, especially Siri in Japanese, have made me a happy camper.

How would it benefit anyone for Apple to offers 3G version? It wouldn't change the cost a bit - the new Qualcomm chip is probably not significantly more expensive than the old one. So you'd be buying a system with no hope of ever running 4G, but paying just as much as a 4G system.

If you really don't want 4G, you're always free to buy the iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Granted, Apple are not ultimately responsible for the fact that LTE is fragmented. By the same token that weren't forced to follow the path of fragmentation.

Rather than suggesting that Brits are thick perhaps you should consider that customers purchase new devices in the hope that they will be able to utilise some of the features at a future date.

Germany has a population of 81m, a functional and established LTE network but wont be supported. Do you deem them to be too small a market? The EU has 500m...

So what's the solution? Here are the options:

1. Apple refuses to release an LTE system until the world standardizes. If they did that, they'd be penalizing countries which have LTE and there's be no benefit for countries that don't.

2. Apple releases LTE in the countries that have it. At least those countries benefit, but there's no harm done to countries that don't have LTE.

So what do you want Apple to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

With regard to Facetime calls- I thought that these were only officially supported via wifi, how does it impact upon your cellular tariff?

First, it is possible to use FaceTime over 3G without jail breaking:
http://www.mactrast.com/2011/03/use-...-jailbreaking/

Second, my point is that there may be perfectly legitimate reasons to not have a better front facing camera. Maybe it's the cost of adding a second camera. Maybe it's space. Maybe it's battery consumption. Maybe it's data usage. I don't know, but Apple obviously had a reason for not upgrading that camera. And since I certainly don't have any desire to see someone's face at > VGA resolution, it doesn't bother me -- and I suspect that it won't bother very many people. If you absolutely need to see someone's face at full iPad resolution, then you don't have to buy one.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #385 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Hmm. Though I appreciate progress, I am kinda bummed that Apple didn't make a 3G version that would work globally while the 4G systems get sorted out.

I don't understand they have. Both work globally on 3G.
post #386 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

The iPad is a great SSH client - there are several SSH apps on the App Store. If you have a farm of headless servers that run SSHD on the public internet, nothing stops you from using an iPad.

However, there is one catch. The whole idea of a virtual keyboard is that there can be multiple keyboards for multiple tasks. Unix terminal users are accustomed to doing everything with the keyboard - so these SSH clients should also use keyboards that are conducive for that sort of stuff. All the current SSH clients use the default Apple keyboard - which is not convenient if you want to do a lot of Ctrl+Key typing - which is required in Unix. Everytime I use SSH, it really irritates me when I want to use TAB for file/command completion, or Esc within VI. It works, but is not optimal.

How hard would it be to allow a full keyboard functionality with a multitouch virtual keyboard in landscape mode?

There are some iPad apps (I can't recall which, offhand) that display custom keyboards -- I think they are kb extensions, actually... where additional keys appear in a band above the normal kb.

AIR, one in particular has Cmd, Ctrl, Opt, Fn, Arrows, Tab, Home, End.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but in addition to the several predefined Apple kb layouts -- you can define an entire custom kb...

You need to have a valid reason for doing this, though, to get the app through the app store approval -- Apple is pretty protective about UI standards and consistency,
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #387 of 442
There's nothing the iPad could have done better really.

LTE FDD and LTE-TD right now are being rolled out but the real price is LTE Advanced

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wi...s/lte-advanced

So even if we've got to take baby-steps today with LTE fragmentation today it's nice to know that even more major improvements to SoC and network growth/speed is coming.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #388 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually I am using my Asus Slider more and more like a laptop because the OS is so versatile. I am a programmer and I actually have a LAMP server running on my tablet. I also have, Python, Perl, Ruby and now a Java SDK kit. The Asus Slider is a hybrid, it has a keyboard that well slides out from the bottom so I use a bluetooth mouse and I have a pretty neat portable development machine.

Now there are very few people that would ever use such a setup but what about a filemanager with access to

Can you do all this with the standard release of the Android OS?

Because, if you have to root the OS (or whatever they call it) to be able to setup a LAMP server -- it is no different than JailBreaking iOS to do the same thing.

As I stated earlier, I did this several years ago on an iPod (before iPhone), iPhone 1, Apple TV 1.

It is really no big deal as iOS is just Unix (OS X) with a kernel tailored to the device.

Here's a reference from 2007 -- almost 5 years ago:

Apache on iPhone - How Cool!!

This isn't really that big of a deal!


Is that a LAMP Server in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?


I abandoned the JailBreak approach with the advent of the iOS SDK, and the app store -- I found that I could buy most of the capability I needed a lot less expensively than messing about re-inventing the wheel.. For a few capabilities not available, I was able to roll-my-own apps within the constraints of the iOS SDK.

If you really want a useful server have a look at this:

Mac Mini

You can set up a legitimate server for as little as $599 -- even less if you buy a used mini on eBay, etc.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #389 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

http://www.slashgear.com/new-ipad-4g...rica-08217470/

There we go.... :-)

Just as I already stated from the very available information I grabbed right from Apple's website. What's your explanation for choosing not to do a modicum of research?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #390 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

There's nothing the iPad could have done better really.

LTE FDD and LTE-TD right now are being rolled out but the real price is LTE Advanced

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wi...s/lte-advanced

So even if we've got to take baby-steps today with LTE fragmentation today it's nice to know that even more major improvements to SoC and network growth/speed is coming.

It's really amazing how fast this is progressing. The iPad got a 10x jump in max theoretical speed YoY. I assume the 6th gen iPhone will get a 5x speed jump YoY going from 14.4Mbps HSPA+ to 73Mbps LTE.

I wonder if cellular data would have progressed this quickly if not for the iPhone drawing people to the smartphone market as a whole and using so much data on cellular networks. I have to think it wouldn't have.


PS: You see the iPad is using MDM9600, not 9615?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #391 of 442
I just had a thought regarding the naming going back to just iPad. Although it is likely I am totally wrong but throwing it out there.

What if we do have an iPad mini in the works? If the just released iPad were named iPad3, then apple would have 2 choices

1) name the mini iPad4 which would be confusing

2) name it iPad mini. But then next gen of that would be iPad mini 2 which would just get clumsy.

Now, we will just have iPad and iPad mini. Not suggesting it will be released this year or anything but they must be looking into and testing different form factors
post #392 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait and see.

Disclaimer: I'm no fan of Sony.

The PS3 really isn't eh you know, it's just not

Why help the followers? Why condone their copying?

It's 2006. E3. The PS3 has been advertised with a boomerang controller. The thing is completely and utterly unusable. You can't hold it. A month prior, Nintendo released the images of the Wii controller and how it would be used to control the system. So what does Sony do? Goes back to the identical controller from the PS2, but puts motion sensing in it. And then mocks Nintendo for their "weird control scheme". Cut to 2010, the PS3 has terrible sales and they make the PlayStation Move (those two colored wands that are obviously stolen directly from the Nintendo Wii idea.

Sony is the Micro-Google of gaming consoles. Nintendo's the Apple.

As for its use as a console, I never read anything about people using it for games. They say it's a good Blu-ray player, but that's it. It's loud, it's a huge power hog, and there's the "PS3 has no games" vibe.

I own more gaming devices than I have room for frankly and do a majority of my gaming on a PS3. I think it might actually be the best console I've ever owned. It's definitely up there with the PS1 and the SNES. For those who are into gaming, it's a must have.

I'd say Sony is an innovative company in the console space. Don't forget they set the standard with dual analog. They also had absolutely no need to copy Nintendo since R&D for Move predates the Wii by a significant margin.
post #393 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spish View Post

Don't forget they set the standard with dual analog.

Don't forget that absolutely every single other aspect of their controllers was stolen from either Nintendo or (more recently) Microsoft and that Sony didn't originally use ANY joysticks whatsoever because they didn't seem to see the need for them.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that the PlayStation wouldn't exist if it hadn't been Nintendo's idea to develop.

Sony is the Microsoft of consoles. They partnered with Apple (sorry, Nintendo) and took the ideas and ran, creating their own stuff.

Quote:
They also had absolutely no need to copy Nintendo since R&D for Move predates the Wii by a significant margin.

The subject of that sentence doesn't connect with the predicate by any method of logic that I can parse.
post #394 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

I just had a thought regarding the naming going back to just iPad. Although it is likely I am totally wrong but throwing it out there.

What if we do have an iPad mini in the works? If the just released iPad were named iPad3, then apple would have 2 choices

1) name the mini iPad4 which would be confusing

2) name it iPad mini. But then next gen of that would be iPad mini 2 which would just get clumsy.

Now, we will just have iPad and iPad mini. Not suggesting it will be released this year or anything but they must be looking into and testing different form factors

I am more curious what they will do in a year. Will they discontinue the new iPad and just keep iPad2 around indefinitely with an even lower the price? Maybe in another year they'll call it the iPad Classic?!

I am guessing they are just going to give it a year and see how many people buy the iPad2. They'll worry about names in a year.
post #395 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I am more curious what they will do in a year. Will they discontinue the new iPad and just keep iPad2 around indefinitely with an even lower the price?

No, of course not. The 16GB iPad 3 stays on next year with the fourth one taking its place.
post #396 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


So what's the solution? Here are the options:

1. Apple refuses to release an LTE system until the world standardizes. If they did that, they'd be penalizing countries which have LTE and there's be no benefit for countries that don't.

2. Apple releases LTE in the countries that have it. At least those countries benefit, but there's no harm done to countries that don't have LTE.

So what do you want Apple to do?

Ermm... I would like to see option 2. Unfortunately Apple have gone for the unmentioned 3rd option of only supporting some LTE enabled countries.

My preferred option however would have been multi frequency support rather than locking customers to a given network.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First, it is possible to use FaceTime over 3G without jail breaking:
http://www.mactrast.com/2011/03/use-...-jailbreaking/

But that does mean that you have to phone the other person first and tell them to put their phone into wifi sharing mode and then grab a second compatible Apple product whilst you do the same.(assuming that both of you are out of range of a wifi network). The jail break option seems like less hassle.
post #397 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, of course not. The 16GB iPad 3 stays on next year with the fourth one taking its place.

And they'll call it the iPad 5.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #398 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And they'll call it the iPad 5.

Right, exactly.
post #399 of 442
I'm debating getting it at the store or ordering. I never know when FedEx or UPS are going to deliver so I don't want to be stuck at home all day. But I also don't want to go to the store to find they're sold out. Yes, this can be filed under "White People Problems"

I am really surprised they are not calling it the iPad 3, especially when they decided to continue selling the iPad 2. I can just see a less informed customer walking into the store:

Cust: Hello, I'd like to buy an iPad.
SA: Great! Which would you like, the iPad 2 or the new iPad?
Cust: Well, I guess I should get the newest one, so i'll take the iPad 2.
SA: Actually, the new iPad is the newest. The iPad 2 is older. See, here they are side by side.
Cust: Oh, they look the same, but the iPad 2 is slightly thinner and lighter. Are you sure that's not the new one? I want the new one.
SA: No, the new iPad is new, the iPad 2 is old. It's slower and has lower resolution.
Cust: Umm, OK? Did you just wink at me?

Now of course, a little more explanation as to the change in the naming convention and the customer will understand, it's just not as readily apparent as it would be if they kept the number.

I understand all the reasons they are going away from the number but I think it's a mistake. Now the customer doesn't know if it's more of a refresh or an all new revision simply by looking at the name. Then again, that might be something Apple wanted too.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #400 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait and see.

Sony is the Micro-Google of gaming consoles. Nintendo's the Apple.

As someone who has read gaming magazines and followed gaming for years, I take issue with this. Nintendo created revolutions with the original Nintendo, Game Boys and Super Nintendo. The Nintendo 64 and Gamecube had far less success. It was Sony that revolutionized gaming in the 90's with the original Playstation after Nintendo had stabbed them in the back. They co-developed the Playstation with Nintendo as the SNES CD Drive. Nintendo decided optical disc had no future in gaming, dumped Sony, and started working on the Nintendo 64. The rest is history. Go look it up.

The thing you have to get a handle on is the gaming industry is very different. Don't look at it through Apple/Android tinted sun glasses. Imitation is seen as natural and expected in the gaming industry. There is a truce of sorts. If your competitors imitate you, you just have to work that much harder to innovate again. No one swears vengeance, or, god forbid, sues each other. Because you know what? All three current companies have either imitated or innovated at some point and have their specialties. Nintendo has controllers, Sony has optical discs and storage, and Microsoft has online gaming and distribution.

Furthermore, there isn't much love for Nintendo with long term gamers right now. Nintendo decided to betray the fans that had stood by them and continued buying their systems so they could play Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. They sold out, built a casual gaming device, and lost the hearts and minds of the ones that loved them for so long.

How this is similar to Apple is beyond me. I am very skeptical that Wii U will sell as Nintendo hopes. The 3DS is not doing well because Nintendo stabbed their fans in the heart and twisted the knife for safe keeping. They are paying for it now. There are people that have lost interest in Nintendo and may never come back.

Only time will tell if their renewed commitment to "hard core" gamers will reignite the passions of Nintendo fans.

Nintendo is no Apple. Not even close.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation