or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation - Page 11

post #401 of 442
Apple stock up 9 bucks. Cool.

As I said earlier, I ordered the 4G LTE Verizon 32GB in black. I love the idea of not having to have a contract- great move by Apple and Verizon!
This will be my first iPad. I will be selling my 4th gen. iPod touch. I love that little guy but why have an iPod and an iPad?
This will be great for work- clipboards and paper blowing in the wind are a thing of the past! And I won't have to carry around a digital camera as well since the built in camera is of high quality.
I also noticed that Apple.com is using a new font with the iPad introduction- or a slimmer version of the current font.
When calling support to try to upgrade my order to the 64GB version, the item went from "Processing" to "Preparing for shipment" as I was on hold The "delivery" date is not the day it ships but the day you should expect to receive it- no need to wait in long lines at the Apple store to be turned away later. In fact, I suspect that we will be receiving these a day or so before the delivery date to build up anticipation in the media- I remember this happening with the iPhone.
Since I wanted to order a smart cover also, Dylan offered a leather cover to me for the same price as a polyurethane for my "troubles." I ordered the tan, which should look so classy against the black glass. Does anybody have experience with or opinion about the leather covers?

The reasoning I use as to why the 64 GB iPad may not be necessary is iCloud and iTunes- whatever Apps I do not want stored on the physical device I can leave stored on my computer or in the cloud to free up space. So, in pseudo reality, I just purchased a 500 GB iPad
post #402 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

Nintendo had stabbed them in the back.

I take issue with THAT. But anyway, this is an Apple forum.

Quote:
Imitation is seen as natural and expected in the gaming industry.

That's stupid. Screw it. It also explains why there aren't any games worth playing anymore. They're all carbon copies of each other.

Quote:
Furthermore, there isn't much love for Nintendo with long term gamers right now.

That's your term for "hardcore" gamers, delineated from your definition of "causal" gamers.

Quote:
Nintendo decided to betray the fans that had stood by them and continued buying their systems so they could play Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. They sold out, built a casual gaming device, and lost the hearts and minds of the ones that loved them for so long.

Yeah, see, that's completely and utterly wrong. Hilariously so.

Quote:
The 3DS is not doing well because Nintendo stabbed their fans in the heart and twisted the knife for safe keeping.

Again, wrong. Or maybe you have an explanation for why you think that?

Quote:
Only time will tell if their renewed commitment to "hard core" gamers will reignite the passions of Nintendo fans.

Your (you and everyone else who uses the term) false definition of "hardcore gamers" just makes me laugh.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #403 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I take issue with THAT. But anyway, this is an Apple forum.

I'll reply to the one thing I agree with.

I have about as much respect for you opinions on this matter as you do for mine. No sense lobbing grenades back and forth.

Let's end this here and get back to talking about Apple.
post #404 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Apple stock up 9 bucks. Cool.

Since I wanted to order a smart cover also, Dylan offered a leather cover to me for the same price as a polyurethane for my "troubles." I ordered the tan, which should look so classy against the black glass. Does anybody have experience with or opinion about the leather covers?

I had the cream leather cover against black on my iPad 2 and it looked really good. I think tan will look good as well. The leather smelled nice too. It gave the impression of an old book, which was nice. It helps make up for the somewhat cold feeling of reading on a device as compared to a book.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #405 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Can you do all this with the standard release of the Android OS?

Because, if you have to root the OS (or whatever they call it) to be able to setup a LAMP server -- it is no different than JailBreaking iOS to do the same thing.

As I stated earlier, I did this several years ago on an iPod (before iPhone), iPhone 1, Apple TV 1.

It is really no big deal as iOS is just Unix (OS X) with a kernel tailored to the device.

Here's a reference from 2007 -- almost 5 years ago:

Apache on iPhone - How Cool!!

This isn't really that big of a deal!


Is that a LAMP Server in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?


I abandoned the JailBreak approach with the advent of the iOS SDK, and the app store -- I found that I could buy most of the capability I needed a lot less expensively than messing about re-inventing the wheel.. For a few capabilities not available, I was able to roll-my-own apps within the constraints of the iOS SDK.

If you really want a useful server have a look at this:

Mac Mini

You can set up a legitimate server for as little as $599 -- even less if you buy a used mini on eBay, etc.

Oh I have a Mac Mini believe me. No root, there is actually a app that installs a full copy of Debian along side Android. It 's really neat. I use the Asus on the train and when I'm traveling, I always like working on a local server anyway before syncing with my home server or work. I think I like that are more flavors of tablet for me to choose from. My Asus is a hybrid tablet with a built in keyboard that I use for work, my new Samsung 7.7 is a perfect jacket pocket computer and my iPad is my home entertainment.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #406 of 442
Ok so you're not going to buy the iPad because:

1. Apple didn't list every single LTE carrier in the world.
2. No iSight camera for Facetime
3. The name of the device is not iPad3.

My responses are as follows:

1. Since the event was held in the US it just made more sense to show the North American carriers. I understand that the iPad is being released in other countries. I'm sure more details will be forthcoming.

2. I don't use Facetime chat too much but the few times I used it the camera wasn't an issue for me.

3. The only products that had "versions" as part of their names are the iPhone and the iPad. All the rest of Apple products are just iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, etc. I don't see the big deal that it's just called "iPad". That's not going to change what it can do.

I have the original iPad and will be upgrading so I'm looking forward to it. If these are the 3 reasons why you would not be buying an iPad they seem pretty weak to me. That's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbtackjagermeister View Post

Man I love apple - but! I think they are slipping..

Apple is not meant to have loose ends. Apple users are never meant to be left confused, and for the first time, I am left confused.

Honestly, I am scared for the future of this company already.

Let me explain my beef with the new ipad.

1) Will the IPAD LTE work in the UK? No explanation whatsoever!

2) Which brings me to the second point. Google IPAD LTE UK. It leaves you confused.
If apple had called the device IPAD3, it would make it so much easier to Google it! There is no clarity in the nomeclature.

Why drop the number? What reason is there? It has made googling now and henceforth a bit more difficult when you want to trouble shoot.

3) Facetime HD Camera. Come on - the one thing I want to do is talk to my parents using Facetime! An ipad is much easier to use than a PC and my parents are not exactly computer engineers. Was an HD camera that difficult to implement Apple?

I actually went from being a definite buy on the IPAD3 (I will call it this - Apple go to hell) to having distaste in my mouth.

Sorry guys - this is just my opinion on the whole thing.
post #407 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I'm debating getting it at the store or ordering. I never know when FedEx or UPS are going to deliver so I don't want to be stuck at home all day. But I also don't want to go to the store to find they're sold out. Yes, this can be filed under "White People Problems"

I am really surprised they are not calling it the iPad 3, especially when they decided to continue selling the iPad 2. I can just see a less informed customer walking into the store:

Cust: Hello, I'd like to buy an iPad.
SA: Great! Which would you like, the iPad 2 or the new iPad?
Cust: Well, I guess I should get the newest one, so i'll take the iPad 2.
SA: Actually, the new iPad is the newest. The iPad 2 is older. See, here they are side by side.
Cust: Oh, they look the same, but the iPad 2 is slightly thinner and lighter. Are you sure that's not the new one? I want the new one.
SA: No, the new iPad is new, the iPad 2 is old. It's slower and has lower resolution.
Cust: Umm, OK? Did you just wink at me?

Now of course, a little more explanation as to the change in the naming convention and the customer will understand, it's just not as readily apparent as it would be if they kept the number.

I understand all the reasons they are going away from the number but I think it's a mistake. Now the customer doesn't know if it's more of a refresh or an all new revision simply by looking at the name. Then again, that might be something Apple wanted too.

Mmm... Rumor has it that next year they're just going to call it the "Apple".
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #408 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoster1 View Post

Ok so you're not going to buy the iPad because:

1. Apple didn't list every single LTE carrier in the world.
2. No iSight camera for Facetime
3. The name of the device is not iPad3.

My responses are as follows:

1. Since the event was held in the US it just made more sense to show the North American carriers. I understand that the iPad is being released in other countries. I'm sure more details will be forthcoming.

2. I don't use Facetime chat too much but the few times I used it the camera wasn't an issue for me.

3. The only products that had "versions" as part of their names are the iPhone and the iPad. All the rest of Apple products are just iMac, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, etc. I don't see the big deal that it's just called "iPad". That's not going to change what it can do.

I have the original iPad and will be upgrading so I'm looking forward to it. If these are the 3 reasons why you would not be buying an iPad they seem pretty weak to me. That's my opinion.

Actually, the iPhone never really had numerical versions in its name until iPhone 4. There was no iPhone 1 or iPhone 2. The iPhone 3G was a nomenclature used to distinguish itself as a 3G operable phone. Then there was iPhone 3GS (S means SPEED! ), then iPhone 4, which is really the only iPhone product with this type of numerical version. The iPhone 4 and the iPad 2 are the only Apple products I can think of that have ever had that distinguishing label, and I say, good riddance to that, because it is something that always annoyed me.
post #409 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

There was no iPhone 1

How in the world was the first iPhone not the first iPhone?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #410 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh I have a Mac Mini believe me. No root, there is actually a app that installs a full copy of Debian along side Android. It 's really neat. I use the Asus on the train and when I'm traveling, I always like working on a local server anyway before syncing with my home server or work. I think I like that are more flavors of tablet for me to choose from. My Asus is a hybrid tablet with a built in keyboard that I use for work, my new Samsung 7.7 is a perfect jacket pocket computer and my iPad is my home entertainment.

Ahh... I understand!

Full Linux on a tablet.

That sounds like an excellent solution for some specialities, if not for the common masses.

So, do you use the tablet as the display for the headless Mini? I have 2 Minis -- one as a media server and one as host for eyeTV (similar to what a Tivo does).

I use Screen Sharing on a Mac to control the Minis -- which are headless!

I use ServeToMe on all the Macs so we can get at any media on any of the HDDs and stream it to any of our 5 iPads in use -- typically, we'll have 2-3 different streams going in the evenings.

There are some 3rd-party iPad apps that I can use to access the Macs, but I wish Apple would implement [both ends] of a iPad-Mac screen sharing solution.


If your work involves a lot of headless servers or monitoring/interfacing a lot of different computers -- I can see where the solution you have is superior. I could really see this catching on in IT.

Are you really running MySQL or is SQLite adequate.

When I was doing web development, I preferred ColdFusion over PHP -- both high and low level constructs, easier to program, self-documenting and self-compiles to Java ByteCode.

You can get a free developer copy from Adobe...

The reason I mention this is that you could quite easily develop a web UI front end to whatever -- and ColdFusion allows you to execute code on the host machine -- including any CLI I/O you want to throw at it.


Sorry guys, for the SOT -- but this is an interesting opportunity for tablets in enterprise.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #411 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How in the world was the first iPhone not the first iPhone?

Of course it was the first iPhone. But the person you were responding to was pointing out that it wasn't called 'iPhone 1'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Ermm... I would like to see option 2. Unfortunately Apple have gone for the unmentioned 3rd option of only supporting some LTE enabled countries.

My preferred option however would have been multi frequency support rather than locking customers to a given network.

Your complaint was that the iPad's LTE wouldn't work in the UK. But since there is no LTE in the UK, there's absolutely nothing Apple could have done differently wrt the UK.

As for other countries which might use the same frequencies as the US and Canada, we have no way of knowing yet if the iPad will work on LTE there. If the iPhone is any indication, it will work fine if you can come up with a SIM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

But that does mean that you have to phone the other person first and tell them to put their phone into wifi sharing mode and then grab a second compatible Apple product whilst you do the same.(assuming that both of you are out of range of a wifi network). The jail break option seems like less hassle.

It doesn't mean any such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

I just had a thought regarding the naming going back to just iPad. Although it is likely I am totally wrong but throwing it out there.

What if we do have an iPad mini in the works? If the just released iPad were named iPad3, then apple would have 2 choices

1) name the mini iPad4 which would be confusing

2) name it iPad mini. But then next gen of that would be iPad mini 2 which would just get clumsy.

Now, we will just have iPad and iPad mini. Not suggesting it will be released this year or anything but they must be looking into and testing different form factors

Very unlikely.

First, I really doubt that there's an iPad Mini.

Second, even if there is, calling this iPad 'iPad 3' would not have precluded calling the new one 'iPad Mini'.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #412 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

As someone who has read gaming magazines and followed gaming for years, I take issue with this. Nintendo created revolutions with the original Nintendo, Game Boys and Super Nintendo. The Nintendo 64 and Gamecube had far less success. It was Sony that revolutionized gaming in the 90's with the original Playstation after Nintendo had stabbed them in the back. They co-developed the Playstation with Nintendo as the SNES CD Drive. Nintendo decided optical disc had no future in gaming, dumped Sony, and started working on the Nintendo 64. The rest is history. Go look it up.

The thing you have to get a handle on is the gaming industry is very different. Don't look at it through Apple/Android tinted sun glasses. Imitation is seen as natural and expected in the gaming industry. There is a truce of sorts. If your competitors imitate you, you just have to work that much harder to innovate again. No one swears vengeance, or, god forbid, sues each other. Because you know what? All three current companies have either imitated or innovated at some point and have their specialties. Nintendo has controllers, Sony has optical discs and storage, and Microsoft has online gaming and distribution.

Furthermore, there isn't much love for Nintendo with long term gamers right now. Nintendo decided to betray the fans that had stood by them and continued buying their systems so they could play Mario, Metroid, and Zelda. They sold out, built a casual gaming device, and lost the hearts and minds of the ones that loved them for so long.

How this is similar to Apple is beyond me. I am very skeptical that Wii U will sell as Nintendo hopes. The 3DS is not doing well because Nintendo stabbed their fans in the heart and twisted the knife for safe keeping. They are paying for it now. There are people that have lost interest in Nintendo and may never come back.

Only time will tell if their renewed commitment to "hard core" gamers will reignite the passions of Nintendo fans.

Nintendo is no Apple. Not even close.

Oh man, we have an old school console fanboy here. I miss the days where tech sites and forums were debating between which console was better based on the quality of their games (rather than the strength of their IP portfolio )

Anyhow, as Tallest Skill has already pointed out, this response is so far from correct I'm not sure where to begin.

First of all, Nintendo and Apple are actually pretty comparable. Both companies have a notoriously dedicated fanbase, sell devices for a profit in industries where that isn't usually the case, have had ridiculously monetarily successful years, and have brought about the idea of making things easier for the average user. Ironically, both companies' fans tend to come under fire from the lack of caring about "technological" aspects, which is usually retorted with "it's about the experience." (for example, the wii is technologically lightyears behind its opponents, yet has 1st party games that often rate higher than their counterparts' best).

I'm not sure what you define as "no support from long term gamers". The only market Nintendo doesn't have control of is the newest market (the 16 year olds that think CoD is the greatest thing ever). Older gamers will still often swear to Nintendo simply because they're still here (unlike Sega and old Sony series'). How many gamers do you think still play their original Xbox? Or even their PSX to a lesser extent? I'm willing to bet less than 10% of those that still play their N64/SNES/NES, etc. Hell, Nintendo can STILL sell their systems based on porting older games.

While I won't comment on the Wii U, you're either lying or misinformed if you think the 3DS isn't selling well. Remember that Nintendo DS thingamajig that pretty much shattered sales records and brought about this "casual gaming" craze? The 3DS is outselling the DS when you compare their life cycles. The 3DS also hasn't even seen the release of the Super Smash Bros installment that has been promised. If that game drops and the 3DS doesn't break nearly every gaming sales record ever I'll eat my shorts. That series alone sold the failing Gamecube, imagine what it will do to an already growing 3DS? NOT EVEN FACTORING IN THE FACT THAT IT'LL BE ON A PORTABLE DEVICE. You must be one of those people that thinks because Apple isn't winning market share it's failing, right?

Source
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #413 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Your complaint was that the iPad's LTE wouldn't work in the UK. But since there is no LTE in the UK, there's absolutely nothing Apple could have done differently wrt the UK.

As for other countries which might use the same frequencies as the US and Canada, we have no way of knowing yet if the iPad will work on LTE there. If the iPhone is any indication, it will work fine if you can come up with a SIM.



It doesn't mean any such thing.

Complaint, moi?

I didn't complain. I was retorting to your suggestion that other countries don't deserve the LTE units because they opted for a seemingly esoteric frequency range, to wit I mentioned that Germany has a population of 80m but uses a different frequency range to the USA carriers.

IMO the iPhone was a step forward with regard to compatibility (ie GSM/CDMA) whereas the LTE iPad is a retrograde, splintering step. Are you really suggesting that the Apple engineers don't have the ability to provide multi-frequency support?

Apple is supposed to be about simplicity. Although the Apple site says that the lte ipad will only work with the selected carrier, there will be many people that will cancel their rolling carrier contracts assuming that they can switch to another provider at some point.

BTW can you explain how two people with two standard iphones can conduct a facetime conversation over 3g without additional hardware?
post #414 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Oh man, we have an old school console fanboy here. I miss the days where tech sites and forums were debating between which console was better based on the quality of their games (rather than the strength of their IP portfolio )

Anyhow, as Tallest Skill has already pointed out, this response is so far from correct I'm not sure where to begin.

First of all, Nintendo and Apple are actually pretty comparable. Both companies have a notoriously dedicated fanbase, sell devices for a profit in industries where that isn't usually the case, have had ridiculously monetarily successful years, and have brought about the idea of making things easier for the average user. Ironically, both companies' fans tend to come under fire from the lack of caring about "technological" aspects, which is usually retorted with "it's about the experience." (for example, the wii is technologically lightyears behind its opponents, yet has 1st party games that often rate higher than their counterparts' best).

I'm not sure what you define as "no support from long term gamers". The only market Nintendo doesn't have control of is the newest market (the 16 year olds that think CoD is the greatest thing ever). Older gamers will still often swear to Nintendo simply because they're still here (unlike Sega and old Sony series'). How many gamers do you think still play their original Xbox? Or even their PSX to a lesser extent? I'm willing to bet less than 10% of those that still play their N64/SNES/NES, etc. Hell, Nintendo can STILL sell their systems based on porting older games.

While I won't comment on the Wii U, you're either lying or misinformed if you think the 3DS isn't selling well. Remember that Nintendo DS thingamajig that pretty much shattered sales records and brought about this "casual gaming" craze? The 3DS is outselling the DS when you compare their life cycles. The 3DS also hasn't even seen the release of the Super Smash Bros installment that has been promised. If that game drops and the 3DS doesn't break nearly every gaming sales record ever I'll eat my shorts. That series alone sold the failing Gamecube, imagine what it will do to an already growing 3DS? NOT EVEN FACTORING IN THE FACT THAT IT'LL BE ON A PORTABLE DEVICE. You must be one of those people that thinks because Apple isn't winning market share it's failing, right?

Source

OK, first off you guys took my post as Nintendo bashing and that is not what it was meant to be. It was purely meant to point out the reasons I don't feel Nintendo and Apple are similar, but that is just me.

I see 3DS sales have improved. I know that I have read some things about it not selling well, but perhaps those articles were skewed. I know initially it was not doing well. I guess the price drop did a lot to help it, so I admit things have changed. It did not have a strong start, but it is doing better. Fine.

That out of the way, there is a lot on the Internet about how many gamers are jaded by Nintendo. Even Nintendo committed on how the Wii U was ideal for hardcore gamers to compensate for this. I guess you can just ignore these facts the same way I did 3DS sales number, or you can accept that your as misinformed on this point as I was 3DS sales.

Just look at this page and scan through he article some of the comments. It was just the first URL I came to when I searched "Nintendo hard core gamer". I am not alone in my feelings in the least.

You don't have to like it.
You don't have to agree with it.

But you and Tallest Skill need to get down off your high horse and stop talking like I am completely off base. I may be wrong about 3DS sales, but that was far for the crux of my point. My point is Nintendo did disappoint a lot of long time fans with the Wii. I still like Nintendo and I may even buy a Wii U.

I just don't see Nintendo and Apple as the same, and that was my primary point to begin with. It is simply my opinion.
post #415 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Oh man, we have an old school console fanboy here. I miss the days where tech sites and forums were debating between which console was better based on the quality of their games (rather than the strength of their IP portfolio

Oh...by the way... other than the first-party Nintendo games, most Wii games are trash. That is why I abandoned ship. I was sick and tired for waiting for Nintendo to release games while my XBox friends were getting games that appealed to them constantly.

(sorry, but you prompted it)
post #416 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednival View Post

OK, first off you guys took my post as Nintendo bashing and that is not what it was meant to be. It was purely meant to point out the reasons I don't feel Nintendo and Apple are similar, but that is just me.

I see 3DS sales have improved. I know that I have read some things about it not selling well, but perhaps those articles were skewed. I know initially it was not doing well. I guess the price drop did a lot to help it, so I admit things have changed. It did not have a strong start, but it is doing better. Fine.

That out of the way, there is a lot on the Internet about how many gamers are jaded by Nintendo. Even Nintendo committed on how the Wii U was ideal for hardcore gamers to compensate for this. I guess you can just ignore these facts the same way I did 3DS sales number, or you can accept that your as misinformed on this point as I was 3DS sales.

Just look at this page and scan through he article some of the comments. It was just the first URL I came to when I searched "Nintendo hard core gamer". I am not alone in my feelings in the least.

You don't have to like it.
You don't have to agree with it.

But you and Tallest Skill need to get down off your high horse and stop talking like I am completely off base. I may be wrong about 3DS sales, but that was far for the crux of my point. My point is Nintendo did disappoint a lot of long time fans with the Wii. I still like Nintendo and I may even buy a Wii U.

I just don't see Nintendo and Apple as the same, and that was my primary point to begin with. It is simply my opinion.

The difference is you're basing your assumptions off of what you read on internet forums and Nintendo's statement that they're going to cater to hardcore gamers -something they've done before- and presenting them like facts. Based on your preference towards xbox, it wouldn't surprise me that you also go to websites that have a slight slant towards the xbox (that's nothing against you, that's just human nature). It'd be similar to me stating that based on this site and Apple's keynote that Android is a completely awful OS and that no one except geeks use it. Despite what many people here think, that's not the case. The fact of the matter is Nintendo has (since the gamecube days) been told they don't cater to the hard core gamer and even the majority of the gaming market. Despite that, they have the 2 most successful systems since then.
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
TalkAndroid anyone?
Reply
post #417 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Complaint, moi?

I didn't complain. I was retorting to your suggestion that other countries don't deserve the LTE units because they opted for a seemingly esoteric frequency range, to wit I mentioned that Germany has a population of 80m but uses a different frequency range to the USA carriers.

Why don't you stop making things up? Where did I say that anyone didn't deserve LTE units?

I said that it wasn't Apple's fault that the existing units won't work in countries that don't even have LTE yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

IMO the iPhone was a step forward with regard to compatibility (ie GSM/CDMA) whereas the LTE iPad is a retrograde, splintering step. Are you really suggesting that the Apple engineers don't have the ability to provide multi-frequency support?

Apple is supposed to be about simplicity. Although the Apple site says that the lte ipad will only work with the selected carrier, there will be many people that will cancel their rolling carrier contracts assuming that they can switch to another provider at some point.

BTW can you explain how two people with two standard iphones can conduct a facetime conversation over 3g without additional hardware?

Read the link I gave you. Or Google 'FaceTime 3G'

And please stop commenting on things that you don't understand and that you're too lazy to look up.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #418 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I was going to post an image of Apple's competition using a tablet but really it's them at a drawing board... as in back to the drawing board... but none of the images I found seemed right.

Asus Transformer Infinity image should do just fine...

A bit lower res (still plenty for that screen size)... how rest of the hardware compares will be interesting to find out.

Though... after using original iPad and original Transformer, I really don't see much point of such resolution on those screen sizes.
post #419 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

...

Though... after using original iPad and original Transformer, I really don't see much point of such resolution on those screen sizes.

I believe that iPad'ish screen sizes will one day be considered the lower end of the size range for devices called tablets. I'd buy one right now at twice the size, regardless of weight .

However, I believe too that the new display on the iPad will be a big selling point and deservedly so.

Something that impresses me so much about the iPad is the precision of actions enabled by the screen. While I realise that Apple doesn't build the panel, Apple has a deep heritage in this aspect of device design and quite likely has contributed technology to the art employed by their manufacturers. The connections are probably deeper than we imagine.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #420 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Oh man, we have an old school console fanboy here. I miss the days where tech sites and forums were debating between which console was better based on the quality of their games (rather than the strength of their IP portfolio )

Anyhow, as Tallest Skill has already pointed out, this response is so far from correct I'm not sure where to begin.

First of all, Nintendo and Apple are actually pretty comparable. Both companies have a notoriously dedicated fanbase, sell devices for a profit in industries where that isn't usually the case, have had ridiculously monetarily successful years, and have brought about the idea of making things easier for the average user. Ironically, both companies' fans tend to come under fire from the lack of caring about "technological" aspects, which is usually retorted with "it's about the experience." (for example, the wii is technologically lightyears behind its opponents, yet has 1st party games that often rate higher than their counterparts' best).

I'm not sure what you define as "no support from long term gamers". The only market Nintendo doesn't have control of is the newest market (the 16 year olds that think CoD is the greatest thing ever). Older gamers will still often swear to Nintendo simply because they're still here (unlike Sega and old Sony series'). How many gamers do you think still play their original Xbox? Or even their PSX to a lesser extent? I'm willing to bet less than 10% of those that still play their N64/SNES/NES, etc. Hell, Nintendo can STILL sell their systems based on porting older games.

While I won't comment on the Wii U, you're either lying or misinformed if you think the 3DS isn't selling well. Remember that Nintendo DS thingamajig that pretty much shattered sales records and brought about this "casual gaming" craze? The 3DS is outselling the DS when you compare their life cycles. The 3DS also hasn't even seen the release of the Super Smash Bros installment that has been promised. If that game drops and the 3DS doesn't break nearly every gaming sales record ever I'll eat my shorts. That series alone sold the failing Gamecube, imagine what it will do to an already growing 3DS? NOT EVEN FACTORING IN THE FACT THAT IT'LL BE ON A PORTABLE DEVICE. You must be one of those people that thinks because Apple isn't winning market share it's failing, right?

Source

I don't fully agree with you. Nintendo doesn't have loyal fans as much as loyal age group.

I am 44 and still active gamer on PC and PS3 (PS2, PSP and original PS before that). I had some exposure to Nintendo in 8-bit era but got bored with Mario and company early and moved to other franchises. Most of my friends - heck, all of them - did the same, but some of them are returning to Nintendo as their kids have grown up to "early gaming age". I might get Nintendo as well in a few years, when my kid gets there - no way I'll give him/her to play BF3 or Uncharted or Resident Evil or... - but I have no doubts he/she will grow out of Nintendo like I did.

Regarding old games still being around - I kno some people who will, on occasion, run their ZX Spectrum or CBM64 emulators and have a go of Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy... outside of retro-nostalgics, I'm not surprised that kids will play old games as well. Not so long ago I let my friend's kid play Rachet & Clank 1 on PS2 and Rachet & Clank: A Crack in Time on PS3, and to my surprise, after just a few minutes on PS3, kid wanted to go back to PS2 game. Even if gameplay was mostly the same, he found PS3 version to complex (visually) and off-putting, compared to much more cartoonish PS2 version. He was 5 at the time.
post #421 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I'm debating getting it at the store or ordering.

Australians might consider shopping at their local store in Singapore !

(However, I doubt that the Sammy suit shall sink so salubrious an enterprise as the iPad!)
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #422 of 442
From the apple website:

-Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

Is this a new feature of the iPad display or did previous models have this as well?
post #423 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

From the apple website:

-Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

Is this a new feature of the iPad display or did previous models have this as well?

This has been a feature since the first model, as far as I know.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #424 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why don't you stop making things up? Where did I say that anyone didn't deserve LTE units?

Read the link I gave you. Or Google 'FaceTime 3G'

And please stop commenting on things that you don't understand and that you're too lazy to look up.

I will concede that there are many things that I don't understand, such as why you are so rude.

You malign (pretty much) everyone outside of the North of America for being disappointed that the iPad will not provide them with LTE, stating (correctly) that it is not Apple's fault that LTE is so fragmented.

You feign privileged insider knowledge, stating that those countries on other frequencies don't have a large enough market base to make it worthwhile for Apple to support them.

The USA uses "700MHz and 2.1GHz frequency, unlike the rest of the civilized world, which usually uses the 800MHz, 1.8GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz". Are you really trying to tell me that that the USA and Canada has a larger customer base than Asia and Europe?

Then you whine about your cellular tariff limits suggesting that Apple didn't include HD facetime because it would be a bandwidth hog. I retorted that Facetime isn't even officially supported over 3g, thus invalidating your arguement. In an attempt to demonstrate your superiority you provide a link to a site that says that you can use ICS over Wifi to bypass the Factime restrictions. Now please tell me how two people can conduct a facetime conversation if each of them each owns one piece of (unadulterated) Apple hardware and have no other hardware capable of acting as a WiFi access point.

Before accusing people of being lazy and stupid, perhaps you should read your own posts.
post #425 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

I will concede that there are many things that I don't understand, such as why you are so rude.

You malign (pretty much) everyone outside of the North of America for being disappointed that the iPad will not provide them with LTE, stating (correctly) that it is not Apple's fault that LTE is so fragmented.

You feign privileged insider knowledge, stating that those countries on other frequencies don't have a large enough market base to make it worthwhile for Apple to support them.

The USA uses "700MHz and 2.1GHz frequency, unlike the rest of the civilized world, which usually uses the 800MHz, 1.8GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz". Are you really trying to tell me that that the USA and Canada has a larger customer base than Asia and Europe?

Then you whine about your cellular tariff limits suggesting that Apple didn't include HD facetime because it would be a bandwidth hog. I retorted that Facetime isn't even officially supported over 3g, thus invalidating your arguement. In an attempt to demonstrate your superiority you provide a link to a site that says that you can use ICS over Wifi to bypass the Factime restrictions. Now please tell me how two people can conduct a facetime conversation if each of them each owns one piece of (unadulterated) Apple hardware and have no other hardware capable of acting as a WiFi access point.

Before accusing people of being lazy and stupid, perhaps you should read your own posts.

Look up 'straw man argument'. Where did I malign anyone for being disappointed?

I simply stated that Apple made it clear which markets were covered and if you buy it without checking to see if your market is covered, it's your problem.

I also stated that it's not Apple's fault that LTE is so fragmented - which is absolutely true. Why in the world would you think that it's Apple's fault?

I also pointed out that in the past, Apple has started with the most readily accessible markets and later added new markets as time went on (see the iPhone 4 or 4S introductions, for example) and that the same thing would probably happen with LTE.

And I've told you how to find a way to use FaceTime over 3G. I'm not going to go on a wild goose chase to add all of your other new restrictions.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #426 of 442
Update to my previous odd post.

Apple's Japan store site has a link to Softbank (the carrier and I believe importer), but the SB page only has info on the iPad 2. Their news feeder also has no mention of the new iPad, more than 24 hours after the announcement. My local shop also has heard nothing from SB, except late this afternoon they got word of a price top on the iPad 2.

Last year, SB toed the line for the debut and changed prices for the device twice just hours before it was to go on sale.

It would be really nice if SB would "get with the program".

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #427 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I don't fully agree with you. Nintendo doesn't have loyal fans as much as loyal age group.

I am 44 and still active gamer on PC and PS3 (PS2, PSP and original PS before that). I had some exposure to Nintendo in 8-bit era but got bored with Mario and company early and moved to other franchises. Most of my friends - heck, all of them - did the same, but some of them are returning to Nintendo as their kids have grown up to "early gaming age". I might get Nintendo as well in a few years, when my kid gets there - no way I'll give him/her to play BF3 or Uncharted or Resident Evil or... - but I have no doubts he/she will grow out of Nintendo like I did.

Regarding old games still being around - I kno some people who will, on occasion, run their ZX Spectrum or CBM64 emulators and have a go of Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy... outside of retro-nostalgics, I'm not surprised that kids will play old games as well. Not so long ago I let my friend's kid play Rachet & Clank 1 on PS2 and Rachet & Clank: A Crack in Time on PS3, and to my surprise, after just a few minutes on PS3, kid wanted to go back to PS2 game. Even if gameplay was mostly the same, he found PS3 version to complex (visually) and off-putting, compared to much more cartoonish PS2 version. He was 5 at the time.


Let me argue for them.

Your wrong, misguided and biased because Nintendo sells more consoles then anyone so there is no way your feelings are relevant, matter, or make any sense. Only people who are right are the ones that love Nintendo. Only they are thinking rationally, or have an opinion that counts, because Nintendo sells more games than anyone. Did I mention Nintendo sells more devices? Obviously they must be awesome! Anyone else that believes otherwise is biased, but it isn't their fault, it is society that made them that way (Poor, weak minded fools).

In conclusion, no one should ever have preferences or opinions differing from my own.

That about covers it.



(Really hope people recognize sarcasm)
post #428 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look up 'straw man argument'. Where did I malign anyone for being disappointed?

I simply stated that Apple made it clear which markets were covered and if you buy it without checking to see if your market is covered, it's your problem.

I also stated that it's not Apple's fault that LTE is so fragmented - which is absolutely true. Why in the world would you think that it's Apple's fault?

I also pointed out that in the past, Apple has started with the most readily accessible markets and later added new markets as time went on (see the iPhone 4 or 4S introductions, for example) and that the same thing would probably happen with LTE.

And I've told you how to find a way to use FaceTime over 3G. I'm not going to go on a wild goose chase to add all of your other new restrictions.

Do you tell people that you were raised in the wilds of Africa by apes following the death of your family? I ask because of the ease with which you seem to be able to "re-invent" the past.

You bandy around accusations without bothering to understand the context in which fellow members post.

You condescendingly state that any Apple customer that is confused by the fragmentation of LTE is a victim of a failed education.

You dismiss dissenting voices by highlighting improbable scenarios whilst trying to imply that you speak from a position of authority.

You lay claim to posts that don't exist.

You cry foul and then imply that the poster has said something other than that which they said.

Silly boy...
post #429 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Do you tell people that you were raised in the wilds of Africa by apes following the death of your family? I ask because of the ease with which you seem to be able to "re-invent" the past.

You bandy around accusations without bothering to understand the context in which fellow members post.

You condescendingly state that any Apple customer that is confused by the fragmentation of LTE is a victim of a failed education.

You dismiss dissenting voices by highlighting improbable scenarios whilst trying to imply that you speak from a position of authority.

You lay claim to posts that don't exist.

You cry foul and then imply that the poster has said something other than that which they said.

Silly boy...

You just described your own posts, not mine. Fortunately, most people (other than the paid shills here) can see through your nonsense.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #430 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Ermm... I would like to see option 2. Unfortunately Apple have gone for the unmentioned 3rd option of only supporting some LTE enabled countries.

My preferred option however would have been multi frequency support rather than locking customers to a given network.




But that does mean that you have to phone the other person first and tell them to put their phone into wifi sharing mode and then grab a second compatible Apple product whilst you do the same.(assuming that both of you are out of range of a wifi network). The jail break option seems like less hassle.

Apple makes it simple. The way people want to use it makes it complicated.
post #431 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The subject of that sentence doesn't connect with the predicate by any method of logic that I can parse.

Why not? It's a well-formed english sentence which disputes your suggestion that Sony copied the Wiimote. Perhaps your inability to comprehend it comes from a blind hatred of Sony. This seems likely since you fail to acknowledge all the good Sony has done for the industry, especially when it comes to technology and game publishing. Whatever, it's your problem, not mine.
post #432 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spish View Post

Why not? It's a well-formed english sentence which disputes your suggestion that Sony copied the Wiimote.

No, the sentence implies that nothing was copied because of some earlier work.

Quote:
Perhaps your inability to comprehend it comes from a blind hatred of Sony.

Or from the fact that the sentence is written to be intentionally leading, implying something that it honestly cannot.

Quote:
Whatever, it's your problem, not mine.

Yes, enjoy your fallacy.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #433 of 442
It took a little time, but Softbank finally decided their stuff and started taking orders Saturday morning. Apple also started Wifi pre-orders today (yep, not the day of the announcement). Sadly, not many people seemed to know about it and my local shop wasn't crowded.

The NEW iPad is 3G in Japan. As I can transfer my 3G plan, I went on and ordered. It seems difficult to wait...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #434 of 442
In the video Phil Schiller states the iPad's iSight camera has an "Apple designed ISP." I know that stands for Image Signal Processor but that is where my knowledge ends. Can someone fill me in on specifically how this processes data, what kind of processor HW is used (e.g.: 33MHz ARM11), and how might Apple have designed it or improved upon a stock ISP?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #435 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, the sentence implies that nothing was copied because of some earlier work.

No it doesn't. It explicitly refers to the Move controller and the Wii. Also given the context -- it's a reply to your assertion that Sony copied the Wiimote -- you'd have to read very selectively to misconstrue it as a claim that Sony never copied anything from Nintendo. Incorporating ideas from other console manufacturers is common in the game industry, singling out Sony is irrational or plain trolling.
post #436 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by spish View Post

No it doesn't. It explicitly refers to the Move controller and the Wii.

Which is the overarching subject. The primary content of the sentence implies that because earlier work was done, nothing needed to be copied and therefore nothing WAS copied.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #437 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Your educated guess isn't very good. You're pretending that you know more about the iPad 3's performance than Apple does. That is, of course, total BS.

The fact is that LTE only reduces the tablet's life by 10% - so LTE on the iPad clearly isn't the battery life killer you're whining about.

But feel free to provide evidence (rather than your uneducated guesses.

Here is where I'll eat my words. It does appear that the new display and maybe the A5X is what is drawing a lot of power. And the radio chipset is the MDM9600 which is a 40/45 nm chipset that's been used since last year. Last to know is whether the A5X is a 45 nm or 32 nm part.

That's a lot of high power drawing parts if they are using a display that requires 2x the light power, an MDM9600 chipset which is known to eat power, 2x that of mature HSDP chipset, and if the A5X is a 45 nm part, than wow. 42 Watt-hour battery indeed.
post #438 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Here is where I'll eat my words. It does appear that the new display and maybe the A5X is what is drawing a lot of power. And the radio chipset is the MDM9600 which is a 40/45 nm chipset that's been used since last year. Last to know is whether the A5X is a 45 nm or 32 nm part.

That's a lot of high power drawing parts if they are using a display that requires 2x the light power, an MDM9600 chipset which is known to eat power, 2x that of mature HSDP chipset, and if the A5X is a 45 nm part, than wow. 42 Watt-hour battery indeed.

You're still missing the point if you are including the MDM9600 in a measure against what makes the 42W battery last as just long as the 25W battery in its predecessor.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #439 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're still missing the point if you are including the MDM9600 in a measure against what makes the 42W battery last as just long as the 25W battery in its predecessor.

Yeah, yeah, 4G is not the "problem". I'm eating my words after all. But it grates on my design senses such that I think Apple is reaching here. Every single part in the device has a certain power draw, and you have to be judicious about them. You get caught in a box were every decision you make results in some unsavory consequence: weight, size, and heat. A 42 WHr battery to power the device to 10 hrs on WiFi and 9 on LTE!

When I see that 42 WHr battery, and it only yields the same usage performance as prior iPads, it just grates.

Hopefully the tear downs and further testing will determine the partials. Based on the 10 and 9 quoted hrs, the MDM9600 is costing 4.2 WHrs. That's ~80% of the iPhone battery. The display, WiFi and the A5X is burning about 3.5 to 4 W when running video or browsing over WiFi. That's 50 to 70% more than the iPad 2. Just don't like it. I'd rather they keep the total power draw less than 3 W and make the device thinner, lighter and last longer.

They're caught in a mis-timing with the immaturity of display tech as it is apparently still amorphous silicon and it seems only Intel can produce CPUs at 32 nm or better.
post #440 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Yeah, yeah, 4G is not the "problem". I'm eating my words after all. But it grates on my design senses such that I think Apple is reaching here. Every single part in the device has a certain power draw, and you have to be judicious about them. You get caught in a box were every decision you make results in some unsavory consequence: weight, size, and heat. A 42 WHr battery to power the device to 10 hrs on WiFi and 9 on LTE!

When I see that 42 WHr battery, and it only yields the same usage performance as prior iPads, it just grates.

Hopefully the tear downs and further testing will determine the partials. Based on the 10 and 9 quoted hrs, the MDM9600 is costing 4.2 WHrs. That's ~80% of the iPhone battery. The display, WiFi and the A5X is burning about 3.5 to 4 W when running video or browsing over WiFi. That's 50 to 70% more than the iPad 2. Just don't like it. I'd rather they keep the total power draw less than 3 W and make the device thinner, lighter and last longer.

They're caught in a mis-timing with the immaturity of display tech as it is apparently still amorphous silicon and it seems only Intel can produce CPUs at 32 nm or better.

I bet if you go to Airplane Mode, which turns off all wireless components, and do an iBooks test you'll probably not get much more than an extra hour at 50% brightness. That display is just a huge power draw... but that's a good thing over another year of 1024x768, right? I certainly think so. Hell, I would have paid extra for that display.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation