or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation

Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation - Page 3

post #81 of 442
Underwhelmed. I'll wait for the next one. No surprises either and what about larger storage space. Can't edit high quality film and photos with only 16GB of storage.
post #82 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...SHUT UP. This is foolishness of the highest tier.

Actually no, replying to him is foolishness of the highest tier.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #83 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Underwhelmed. I'll wait for the next one. No surprises either

You people crack me up, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Actually no, replying to him is foolishness of the highest tier.

How true that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

3D - it's the future, it's here

The 1950s called. They want their "it's the future" back.

3D is a gimmick, as it has been for seventy years. It is not the future.

Quote:
HD FaceTime might actually be on the ipad3

From Apple's tech specs page:

Quote:
FaceTime camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #84 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Okay now Phil's back on stage. Time for 'one more thing'.

I'll be really surprised if you ever hear "one more thing" at an Apple presentation. That was unique to Mr. Jobs.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #85 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I was going to post an image of Apple's competition using a tablet but really it's them at a drawing board... as in back to the drawing board... but none of the images I found seemed right.

You could just post a pic of a copier...
post #86 of 442
Well looks like LTE battery life still sucks. New iPad is 42.5W vs 25w in iPad 2. That's a pretty big jump. Still no word on RAM increase either.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #87 of 442
"MS Office for iPad" as 'One more thing' would have been really cool.
post #88 of 442
Quote:

You people crack me up, seriously.

How true that is.

The 1950s called. They want their "it's the future" back.

3D is a gimmick, as it has been for seventy years. It is not the future.

From Apple's tech specs page:

What sort of horrible accident left your brain this damaged?

3D isn't a gimmick. The studios are investing highly in it. 3D blu rays are selling well, and so are the displays. Nintendo even has a glasses-less 3D device, something Apple could easily do given this device is focused on a single person holding it just like the Nintendo device.

What the hell are you gonna say next year if Apple introduces the iPad 3D?

Oh and as far as facetime HD goes, thanks for looking at up for me. I guess this will be just another thing to wait for next year.
post #89 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Underwhelmed. I'll wait for the next one. No surprises either and what about larger storage space. Can't edit high quality film and photos with only 16GB of storage.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Apple doesn't include a miniSD. Oh well, this is a really nice hardware though. Here's hoping that other tablet manufactures play catch up real fast.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #90 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Well looks like LTE battery life still sucks.

Do other tablets offer more than 9 hours on LTE?

post #91 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

For the life of me I can't figure out why Apple doesn't include a miniSD. Oh well, this is a really nice hardware though. Here's hoping that other tablet manufactures play catch up real fast.

Because they know people would end up just buying the base model and expanding the storage space on their own.

Also, maybe there's some proprietary file system they don't want microSD cards to be capable of...
post #92 of 442
Quote:

What sort of horrible accident left your brain this damaged?

3D isn't a gimmick. The studios are investing highly in it. 3D blu rays are selling well, and so are the displays. Nintendo even has a glasses-less 3D device, something Apple could easily do given this device is focused on a single person holding it just like the Nintendo device.

What the hell are you gonna say next year if Apple introduces the iPad 3D?

Until they have a holographic display, 3D is just a gimmick. Have you played with the Nintendo? It's a piece of crap and it's not selling well.
post #93 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

What's the official name? iPad HD or iPad 3?

Quote:

iPad. They've said neither name.

Looks like they decided to avoid a numbers race and just stick with plain ol' "iPad". Which makes sense to me. Too bad that will moot about 1/3rd of the discussions on AppleInsider!
post #94 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loismustdie View Post

I wasn't expecting a revolution but this is a very easy pass, underwhelmed.

LOL, I think not!
post #95 of 442
Very disappointed there is no 128GB version and I really hate that home button.

We don't have a 4G network in the UK yet so that feature is wasted here for this year.

I'm sure the screen is very good and the faster processor is welcome but it's not enough to make me want to upgrade.
post #96 of 442
Quote:

I don't think he was complaining about the iPad's battery life.

To me he was saying that LTE sucks the death out of batteries.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #97 of 442
The new animations on the iPad page on Apple.com are AMAZING. I love that stuff. Just the little HINTS of stuff.

And they start when you scroll down to that part of the page where they are. So subtle.

I don't like how the iPad moves down slightly on the Features page, though. I don't get that.

post #98 of 442
Quote:

To be able to forgo a spouse for one of these devices, apparently.

I've had two wives. They're not as hard to find as one would think.
post #99 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'll be really surprised if you ever hear "one more thing" at an Apple presentation. That was unique to Mr. Jobs.

Magical
post #100 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The wireless models now 4G connectivity, allowing users to connect to long-term evolution networks from providers like AT&T and Verizon. The new iPad will offer download speeds of up to 73Mbps over LTE. International 4G LTE partners are Rogers, Bell and Telus.

Time flies. 15 months ago we were foreseeing and praising this very move on this board and now it's real product.
BTW, kinda hint about Apple's production cycle timeframe.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #101 of 442
Quote:

Well looks like LTE battery life still sucks. New iPad is 42.5W vs 25w in iPad 2. That's a pretty big jump. Still no word on RAM increase either.

If you come to that conclusion you also have to say the '3G' in the new iiPad sucks worse than the last year's chips because it's only gone up by 11% despite the battery going up 70%.

I think the better conclusion is that the display and associated components are to blame. We'll have to see some exhaustive testing from AnandTech but that MDM9615 is looking pretty impressive.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #102 of 442
Quote:

They've never acknowledged that it even has RAM! It always been established by post purchase teardowns.
post #103 of 442
Quote:

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me. I already explained in this thread it doesn't really matter how Apple got there. My point is Apple didn't do anything magical with the chipset. You take everything I say as an offense. Chill out. Motorola crammed a enormous battery in the Razr Maxx, does that mean they are awesome too? Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:
post #104 of 442
No flash on the camera.

No T-Mobile service?
I have been very impressed with T-Mobile. I find they offer that most diverse plan options (Right now I am on the 1500 text/ minute and 30GB web plan for $30/ month) and also the best coverage. In my apartment MetroPCS, AT&T, and Verizon do not pick up signals, but T-Mobile does, even on a cheap entry level Samsung flip phone.
Now with the 4GLTE service, I expect T-Mobile to be announced when the iPhone 5 is released, which I will gladly purchase.
post #105 of 442
Quote:

Because they know people would end up just buying the base model and expanding the storage space on their own.

Also, maybe there's some proprietary file system they don't want microSD cards to be capable of...

Oh that makes sense not very nice of Apple to do that.. I think I'll stick with my iPad2 until such time they come out with a music creation app that needs the higher resolution. In the mean time I'm saving my pennies for the new Asus Transformer Prime with 1920x1080 rez. Not as fancy as a iPod3 but I really the keyboard with the extra battery and Android 4.03 is a lot more flexible when it comes to running Linux apps.
post #106 of 442
As a package, with improved hardware and software, a great improvement over the existing model. The screen performance looks fantastic. As for the camera, I'd rather have improved optics over a greater number of pixels. Seems to me that the lens/package redesign is significant and understated. Five elements in the space seems pretty good. I have designed lenses, though some time a go but think that camera performance will be rated quite highly - time will tell.
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #107 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you come to that conclusion you also have to say the '3G' in the new iiPad sucks worse than the last year's chips because it's only gone up by 11% despite the battery going up 70%.

I think the better conclusion is that the display and associated components are to blame. We'll have to see some exhaustive testing from AnandTech but that MDM9615 is looking pretty impressive.

We still have zero indication that's what's actually being used.
post #108 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loismustdie View Post

I wasn't expecting a revolution but this is a very easy pass, underwhelmed.

Sorry to hear that Lois.
post #109 of 442
Quote:

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me. I already explained in this thread it doesn't really matter how Apple got there. My point is Apple didn't do anything magical with the chipset. You take everything I say as an offense. Chill out. Motorola crammed a enormous battery in the Razr Maxx, does that mean they are awesome too? Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:

yeah no more Magic. Bigger battery.
post #110 of 442
So, regarding pre-ordering "The new iPad"... I have a question. If I pre-order today, can I designate an Apple Store to pick it up at on launch day or do I only have the option to have it shipped to my home?

I would like to pre-order an iPad to guarantee that I get one on launch day, but would actually enjoy the experience of going to the (very nice) mall nearby, where the Apple Store is located, to pick it up. I actually enjoyed the line wait (and company) when I "reserved" and then picked up the first-generation iPad back in 2010. Would love to be able to do that again, but am willing to pay up-front, online, to do so.
post #111 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They've never acknowledged that it even has RAM! It always been established by post purchase teardowns.

One of Apple guys handling the demo units said 512mb I have a friend who is at the event. I'm asking her to verify that one more time please hold.
post #112 of 442
Why wasn't Scott Forstall part of today's presentation?

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #113 of 442
Quote:

I love how you crop off all my comments to cherry pick and troll me.

If I misinterpreted your comment (I note that I didn't), please rectify my error.

Quote:
Apple battery stuffed their way to an (alleged) 9hr LTE life. Ok? So? fine. Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE is rated for 12hrs and most tests put it at about 8. :shrug:

Okay. That's what I asked for. It's not a big production number here.

post #114 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

They did mention that the new iPad has more memory than either the PS3 or Xbox 360. Each of those has 512MB so it's possible to say this has 1GB in it.
post #115 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

One of Apple guys handling the demo units said 512mb I have a friend who is at the event. I'm asking her to verify that one more time please hold.

That sounds a lot like last year when there were erroneous reports that the iPad 2 only had 256MB just because of a lowly person saying so.
post #116 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Why wasn't Scott Forstall part of today's presentation?

Think WWDC.
post #117 of 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't think he was complaining about the iPad's battery life.

To me he was saying that LTE sucks the death out of batteries.

Nailed it.
post #118 of 442
WooHoo!
now with 4G, i can hit my limit on my "UNLIMITED" AT&T plan even quicker
post #119 of 442
Quote:

lower price, lighter in weight, longer battery life, bigger screen, 3D, 8mp camera minimum, hd facetime, maybe an ipad mini *7 inch.

I also for some reason thought we would see them do something like a touch screen bezel with dynamic buttons.

Maybe ipad 4

Interesting, since none of these features were ever even being speculated about in the rumor mill.
post #120 of 442
When the 2012 iPad gets replaced by a newer one in 2013, what are they going to call the 2012 model? They can't refer to it as "the new iPad" anymore.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple announces new iPad with 3.1M-pixel Retina Display, 4G LTE, voice dictation