or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option

Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option

post #1 of 48
iOS 5.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for download, and features new quick lock screen access the camera application, as well as the ability to delete individual pictures that have been synced to PhotoStream.

In addition, iOS 5.1 features Japanese language support for Siri, though Apple has warned that availability may be limited during the initial roll-out. The update can be downloaded through the "Software Update" option found in the Settings application on an iOS device with iOS 5 or later.

The update has a number of changes to the camera application, with face detection now highlighting all detected faces in a frame. The camera app for iPad has also been given a redesign.

The full list of features in iOS 5.1, according to Apple, are:

Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)

Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream

Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)

Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces

Redesigned Camera app for iPad

Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers

Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer

Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad

Updated AT&T network indicator

Addresses bugs affecting battery life

Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 48
YES. Now I can finally turn PhotoStream back on.

And the Music app is actually fixed, so that's good.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Love it
post #4 of 48
No update for me yet. Sad.
post #5 of 48
Just upgraded to iOS 5.1 and the service icon on my iphone 4S says 4G. Bug?
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrixx View Post

No. AT&T calls its HSDPA+ "4G", even though it isn't. Lawsuit time? Yep. Lawsuit for AT&T? Yep.

post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrixx View Post

I think that is the updated AT&T network indicator listed in the update. AT&T wanted Apple to change the 3G indicator to 4G for customers that have access to HSPA+.
post #8 of 48
Quote:

Thank goodness. Now I can actually use PhotoStream.
post #9 of 48
Quote:

what was changed on the music app? couldn't find it (hope it's a fix to the random drop-outs and stalls with match).
post #10 of 48
I hope that iOS 5.1 will fix the memory useage problems that have rendered the iPad1 completely useless, if you are running iOS 5.0?

In the last few weeks, my iPad1 has become virtually unuseable with iOS 5.0; mostly with Safari, but really all apps in general. Not sure if a class action lawsuit will be necessary here.
post #11 of 48
I tried to update in "General" - "Software update", however, after the download and the countdown "is going to install in 10 seconds", it threw me an error:

"the update process encountered an error"

Anybody any idea?
post #12 of 48
No update here yet... anyone getting it yet?
post #13 of 48
Quote:

And how!! It will be great to be able to delete pics from photo stream. Apple brings Photo Stream to the city!
post #14 of 48
Quote:

No. AT&T calls its HSDPA+ "4G", even though it isn't. Lawsuit time? Yep. Lawsuit for AT&T? Yep.

A lawsuit? Over what exactly?
post #15 of 48
STILL no support for Siri location services in Canada!?! Really Apple?? Extremely disappointing.... And if you don't know how useless Siri becomes without it try coming to Canada.

post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

A lawsuit? Over what exactly?

They're claiming 4G with no speed increases. People HERE are even questioning whether the iPhone 4S has LTE built in, much less among the common folk. AT&T pitches ONLY their "4G LTE" anymore. I KNEW they dug themselves a rut when they started lying and calling HSDPA+ "4G".

Mark my words.

post #17 of 48
sounds good but......Photostream delete only seems to delete from the local device - it is not reflected in photos tram in the cloud.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by holttom@gmail.com View Post

sounds good but......Photostream delete only seems to delete from the local device - it is not reflected in photos tram in the cloud.

I was about to ask that...I can see how that's a good thing though to people who don't have shared PCs...

my friend (a girl...a hot girl) was hesitant on photostream because while she wants her lil sexy pics to be synced back home she doesn't want them to stay on her iPhone...now with iOS 5.1 she can get both...
post #19 of 48
Quote:

They're claiming 4G with no speed increases. People HERE are even questioning whether the iPhone 4S has LTE built in, much less among the common folk. AT&T pitches ONLY their "4G LTE" anymore. I KNEW they dug themselves a rut when they started lying and calling HSDPA+ "4G".

Mark my words.

But technically, HDSPA+ is considered 4G per the new definitions. Apple also isn't marketing the iPhone 4S as 4G. It's a status indicator, which is based on the teleco, not the speed.

If this was happening in Britain, maybe. But not the U.S. At least, as far as government or regulatory agencies are concerned. People sue people over peanuts, so no doubt there will be some frivolous lawsuit or class-action lawsuit claiming how Apple "harmed" them with their status icon.

FYI, in a suburb of a major metropolitan city, I get almost identical speeds on my 4S as on my Verizon 4G LTE MiFi hotspot.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

But technically, HDSPA+ is considered 4G per the new definitions. Apple also isn't marketing the iPhone 4S as 4G. It's a status indicator, which is based on the teleco, not the speed.

If this was happening in Britain, maybe. But not the U.S. At least, as far as government or regulatory agencies are concerned. People sue people over peanuts, so no doubt there will be some frivolous lawsuit or class-action lawsuit claiming how Apple "harmed" them with their status icon.

FYI, in a suburb of a major metropolitan city, I get almost identical speeds on my 4S as on my Verizon 4G LTE MiFi hotspot.

My T-mobile HSPA+ is often as fast as LTE is here, especially at peak hours (NYC)

Granted I do not respect T-mobile's and now AT&Ts rebranding of 3.75G as 4G etc but it's whatever...it's annoying for the technically inclined but it's not illegal so it's nothing worth an issue.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by holttom@gmail.com View Post

Depends if you took the pic with your iPhone/iPad after the update I think. I just took a pic on my iPhone and then deleted it and it said that it would be removed on ALL devices as opposed to the local device.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I was about to ask that...I can see how that's a good thing though to people who don't have shared PCs...

my friend (a girl...a hot girl) was hesitant on photostream because while she wants her lil sexy pics to be synced back home she doesn't want them to stay on her iPhone...now with iOS 5.1 she can get both...

OK. Figured it out. You need to toggle photostream off and then on again to activate this for old photos. Seems to work without the toggle for new photos.
post #23 of 48
What's up with the 4G icon??
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz Quad Core . MacBook Pro 13" 2.6GHz with Retina display . iPhone 5 . iPad 3 LTE . AppleTV 3 . iPod Nano 16G
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz Quad Core . MacBook Pro 13" 2.6GHz with Retina display . iPhone 5 . iPad 3 LTE . AppleTV 3 . iPod Nano 16G
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

what was changed on the music app? couldn't find it (hope it's a fix to the random drop-outs and stalls with match).

With iOS 5, Music app has become little sluggish comparing to the earlier version. It was also crashing when using the cover flow. So they have fixed these problems.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdf View Post

What's up with the 4G icon??

Very interesting things.

post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

With iOS 5, Music app has become little sluggish comparing to the earlier version. It was also crashing when using the cover flow. So they have fixed these problems.

They did take my bug report and fix the shuffle and repeat icons so you can now tell if they are turned on. They used to be white when selected and a slightly less white when not selected.

However, selecting an Artist and tapping a song will still only play that one album though (acknowledged bug).
And still no lyrics...
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iOS 5.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch is now available for download, and features new quick lock screen access the camera application...

So that feature makes the title of the thread, even though it isn't a new feature?

Lock-screen access to the camera was available before 5.1 ... I've been using it for (months?) quite a while now!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So that feature makes the title of the thread, even though it isn't a new feature?

Lock-screen access to the camera was available before 5.1 ... I've been using it for (months?) quite a while now!

With 5.1, the camera can always be accessed from the lockscreen - there's no need to double click the home button.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You'll want to look at what the new feature is. Swipe, not button.

post #30 of 48
Quote:

Lawsuit for a made-up BS marketing term?

Get a grip!

HSDPA+ is faster than the majority of Verizon's "4G" so who should be suing whom really?

Stupid anti-fanbois....
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I hope that iOS 5.1 will fix the memory useage problems that have rendered the iPad1 completely useless, if you are running iOS 5.0?

So far Safari doesn't seem to be reloading pages at the drop of a hat, and some larger apps appear to be more stable.

Crossing fingers!
post #32 of 48
Quote:

Mark my words.

Mark them as what? Bombastic?

Done!
post #33 of 48
I just installed 5.1 on my iPhone 4S and Siri is blazing fast at least six times faster. This is crazy!!!!!
post #34 of 48
Quote:

Mark my words.

The reality is that even Verizon LTE is not true 4G, and that HSDPA+ for AT&T is comparable in average download speeds to Verizon LTE and the other carriers' claims of 4G service. Further, HSDPA+ is significantly faster than traditional 3G so not sure what you are grousing about... There is no reason to criticize their claim when you look at the offerings and claims of the other carriers.
post #35 of 48
Blah... Apples OTA updates are pathetic.

My phone sits on 'estimating time remaining' until it fails. The ipad wont even connect to the update server, throwing up an error instantly

but then if i update via itunes, instead of 170megs each, they download 800megs each. Yaay pathetic datacaps. bleh
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Blah... Apples OTA updates are pathetic.

My phone sits on 'estimating time remaining' until it fails. The ipad wont even connect to the update server, throwing up an error instantly

but then if i update via itunes, instead of 170megs each, they download 800megs each. Yaay pathetic datacaps. bleh

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3787478?tstart=0

Guess its not just me... guess their servers cant handle the damage, even 13+hrs after release

Ya think that with a small proportion of profit from 172million iOS devices, Apple could increase their server capacity just a little tiny bit, or maybe delay the release around the world to balance it out.
post #37 of 48
I downloaded 5.1 last night, in the hopes that we have a fix; but NO GO. Within minutes, my iPad1 was crashing. I still have left everything to do with iCloud off. We need more data from those who seem to think this might be working, because I can not live with this level of perfomance and the word needs to get out on a higher level. Apple needs to be called out on the carpet here!

Does anyone happen to know Tim Cooks email? I would like to send him a link to this thread, now that he is done with the iPad3 release.

On a side note, I am experiencing this very same issue on the iPhone4. Has anyone started to notice the problem on this device as well?
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkelley View Post

I downloaded 5.1 last night, in the hopes that we have a fix; but NO GO.

Works perfectly fine.

Quote:
I still have left everything to do with iCloud off.

Even with iCloud on.

Quote:
Apple needs to be called out on the carpet here!

One person has one problem and automatically it's Apple's fault.

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know Tim Cooks email?

This doesn't warrant that. Not by a long shot.

post #39 of 48
After the update my iPhone 4S has regained the ability to act as a wifi hotspot.

This feature went horribly unstable for me after I plugged it in via USB and it never recovered.

I'm hoping it is a fix in software rather than just some cache refresh. I don't fancy re-installing iOS each time I want to use it.

Fingers crossed.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #40 of 48
9to5Mac posted that there's a security issue with the new camera app, but they also know of a fix.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/08/in-ios...camera-slider/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 5.1 with lock screen camera access, PhotoStream pic delete option