or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models

Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

It will probably be 2017 before a world LTE device is available. Right now the only places you can roam with LTE are the US, and Canada.

I've gotten word from Europe that people are upset and feeling defrauded by Apple because LTE won't work on their network despite Apple clearly stating what countries and networks LTE will work.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #42 of 64
Much better than the situation last year in the UK. Last year even the pre-orders didn't make it to buyers until after three weeks after its release date.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I can't wait to see the sales figures for this. Preorders in 10 countries at once for a ship day on the Match 16th with 25 more countries on March 23. That's aggressive.

2) So why is AT&T selling out. They have less AT&T models than any other: AT&T isn't the cellular pariah that was once clamed?

I ordered my 64GB (black) yesterday, even though the website was clunky at best. I listed my 64GB ipad2 on Ebay, and have noted that used similar Verizon models are selling for $100-$150 less than comparable ATT models. This may explain why ATT is selling out this quickly. I think the word is finally out that ATT's data is indeed much faster than Verizon. You can actually get connected in San Francisco, not so a little over a year ago, before the 4S came along (and ATT upgraded their equipment substantially).

Mine is supposed to arrive on the 16th, according to my email confirmation. My ipad2 is currently selling for $500-$600 typically on Ebay (64GB wifi/ATT 3G), so I'm happy if I get that. Also ordered the new AppleTV, to see if it can really mirror my Real Racing game at 1080p (the current AppleTV's are uselessly laggy on this game).
post #44 of 64
Quote:

I've gotten word from Europe that people are upset and feeling defrauded by Apple because LTE won't work on their network despite Apple clearly stating what countries and networks LTE will work.

Check out Apple's UK website. 4G is plastered everywhere in the marketing material, even when selecting a carrier. It's very hard to find the small print that mentions that 4G isn't available in the UK.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Looks like you can roam in Uzbekistan (700) and Nigeria (2100.)

I don't roam, I switch to a local sim card. I do that with my current iPad when traveling abroad but in the screen shot it says 'Your iPad will only work with the carrier you choose."

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It's very hard to find the small print that mentions that 4G isn't available in the UK.

Does that small print exist?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Also ordered the new AppleTV, to see if it can really mirror my Real Racing game at 1080p (the current AppleTV's are uselessly laggy on this game).

What kind of router and network setup do you have? I wonder if there is a lag with the connection.

Quote:

Check out Apple's UK website. 4G is plastered everywhere in the marketing material, even when selecting a carrier. It's very hard to find the small print that mentions that 4G isn't available in the UK.

4G is available in the UK on the iPad, but LTE is not. All 4G isn't LTE. From what I understand many European carriers offer HSPA+

post #48 of 64
Quote:

1. This is nonsense. It says right there that 4G only works in the U.S. and Canada.

2. There is no 4G in the UK. How is Apple supposed to make it work for a non-existent system? Heck, the iPad doesn't say that you can't use it as a flying carpet to fly to the moon. Is Apple at fault, there, too?

Or maybe you're simply saying that Brits are stupid and don't know enough to figure out what they're buying?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #49 of 64

post #50 of 64
I ordered yesterday as soon as I could get through. I chose an engraving and concluded my order about an hour after the apple keynote had finished. This morning I woke to an email that my iPad is ready! A later email gave me the tracking info and said that my package left china on the airplane at 9:30pm today. (Their 9:30 as it is not even night in NY where I live) My iPad is scheduled to arrive on friday though of the 16th, as planned. I guess it takes a while to go through customs.
post #51 of 64
I got an iPad 2 for Christmas and as much as I love it, I am regretting not waiting for the iPad 3 just a bit.
post #52 of 64
Quote:

What kind of router and network setup do you have? I wonder if there is a lag with the connection.

I've tried everything - the wifi connection between the ipad2 and the AppleTV is the problem in mirroring, and is apparently the weakest link, even though the A4 chip may be partly to blame (?). I have my doubts that the new AppleTV will do any better, even with the A5 chip, since it still depends on a robust wi-fi connection (mine is excellent), and wonder whether having a faster chip will make any difference.

I'm quite sure that Steve Jobs knew that the wi-fi needs to be MUCH faster to facilitate the kind of lag-free environment he wanted for connected wi-fi devices, and I can't wait for the next generation of faster wi-fi to appear. The current AppleTV works OK for a wireless slideshow, but takes forever to even get a movie started off the ipad2. I returned my AppleTV, and have had to go back to using the Apple AV connector and an HDMI cable to stream my iMovies, which works just fine, and streams at a crisp 1080p.

At least I can now take my iphone4S 1080p movies, download them into my PC - video edit it, and burn a Blu-ray disk, which is a crisp 1080p, with no discernable loss in clarity from my originating iphone4S recordings. I can then take the edited movie and upload it to my ipad for mobile viewing, all while preserving the original 1080p clarity.
post #53 of 64
Quote:

1) I can't wait to see the sales figures for this. Preorders in 10 countries at once for a ship day on the Match 16th with 25 more countries on March 23. That's aggressive.

2) So why is AT&T selling out. They have less AT&T models than any other: AT&T isn't the cellular pariah that was once clamed?

I wouldn't be so quick on the second assumption.
Don't forget AT&T had a head start, many have grandfathered unilimted data plans, but more so, many of the iPads bought on day one are destined for grey markets overseas where rich kids from Around the world pay a premium so they can have a US model a week early. Well, there is no CDMA in most of the world so this is the reason you may see that the AT&T models sold out earlier. I for one, would never buy a CDMA device since I travel to europe quite often. I also have great LTE coverage where I live in downtown Manhattan.
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I ordered yesterday as soon as I could get through. I chose an engraving and concluded my order about an hour after the apple keynote had finished. This morning I woke to an email that my iPad is ready! A later email gave me the tracking info and said that my package left china on the airplane at 9:30pm today. (Their 9:30 as it is not even night in NY where I live) My iPad is scheduled to arrive on friday though of the 16th, as planned. I guess it takes a while to go through customs.

Most likely it will be held somewhere so they can all ship to arrive on the 16th. They have done this before. My iPhone 4 preorder was in PA for 5 days :-)
post #55 of 64
Why is white so popular these days? I chose Verizon because they have more lte available and also seem to have a bigger rollout schedule over att, even though i have att for my iphone 4 s. i hope i dont regret it.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now, if they would only implement that self-checkout thing!

The Apple Store app supports self-checkout. They also have "buy it online" with in-store pick-up.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Why is white so popular these days?

Good question, because it has been shown that the Black model is actually easier to read with, in general (most of my patients who have them agree).
post #58 of 64
Order they 64g LTE AT&T. Two reasons for AT&T first I have unlimited on my ipadorigina, with AT&T and will transfer. Second because AT&T 3G is way faster than Verizon, that's why in the 4s 5.1 upgrade it says 4g. AT&T hspa+ is 21m which is as fast as Verizon LTE. Plus when you are on LTE in AT&T and get drop to 3G on AT&T the connection will be a lot faster.

Can't wait for the new iPad, only thing I did not got on theupgrade is a 128g version. Everything is in this massive upgrade.

IMHO this new iPad will out sell all the pc manufacturers this year and with a bluetooth keyboard and more productivity app IMHO itis a notebook replacement...
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

IMHO this new iPad will out sell all the pc manufacturers this year and with a bluetooth keyboard and more productivity app IMHO itis a notebook replacement...

I never understand why people say it will replace a notebook. With the BT keyboard which is larger than a MacBook Air all by itself and it isn't attached to the iPad making it awkward when stored, doesn't fit in a computer bag. Then the issue that you need to reach up to the screen with two hands to stabilize the screen when using the touch interface to navigate. And let's just ignore the thousand and one things that you can't do with an iPad that you can with a real notebook computer.

Either you never really needed a full notebook computer in the first place or you just want to prop up the iPad as a 'do all' versatile device simply to justify your purchase. I like my iPad fine but I would never call it a notebook replacement. That is just asinine.

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Why is white so popular these days? I chose Verizon because they have more lte available and also seem to have a bigger rollout schedule over att, even though i have att for my iphone 4 s. i hope i dont regret it.

I am in the same boat. I have AT&T service for my iPhone 4 (from 2010) but chose a Verizon LTE model iPad instead of an AT&T model. The reasons were three-fold:

1) AT&T doesn't offer LTE coverage where I live, Verizon does.
2) I have grown to have a serious disdain for AT&T and may switch to Verizon with the new iPhone refresh this year.
3) If you get the Verizon LTE model, it supports both CDMA and GSM networks. The AT&T model only supports GSM.
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

2. There is no 4G in the UK. How is Apple supposed to make it work for a non-existent system? Heck, the iPad doesn't say that you can't use it as a flying carpet to fly to the moon. Is Apple at fault, there, too?

It's not about functionality, it's about marketing. Look at Apple UK's website. The number one advertised feature is LTE. Why advertise a feature that is guaranteed not to work in the local market?

Quote:
Or maybe you're simply saying that Brits are stupid and don't know enough to figure out what they're buying?

Considering how many times the bar for 4G has been lowered to appease the carriers, it's little surprise that the average consumer is confused.

By the original definition LTE isn't 4G, let alone HSPA+.
post #62 of 64
Quote:

Considering how many times the bar for 4G has been lowered to appease the carriers, it's little surprise that the average consumer is confused.

By the original definition LTE isn't 4G, let alone HSPA+.

Huh, I'm confused.com

Anyway, Orange is rolling out LTE soon though of what ITU standard I don't know. >_< source

OK, 800/1800 MHz

Also, discussion : http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/285...pad-europe-lte
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never understand why people say it will replace a notebook. With the BT keyboard which is larger than a MacBook Air all by itself and it isn't attached to the iPad making it awkward when stored, doesn't fit in a computer bag. Then the issue that you need to reach up to the screen with two hands to stabilize the screen when using the touch interface to navigate. And let's just ignore the thousand and one things that you can't do with an iPad that you can with a real notebook computer.

Either you never really needed a full notebook computer in the first place or you just want to prop up the iPad as a 'do all' versatile device simply to justify your purchase. I like my iPad fine but I would never call it a notebook replacement. That is just asinine.

The ioad 2 already pit sold last year all the pc manufacturers. I expect that the new iPad will out sell them by a lot more this year. The mayority of notebook consumers can already do what they do on notebooks on the ioad. I expect that even more productivity apps will be design for touch and release on ioad this year.

People want the touch experience and with this new iPad they have the power and display to experience them even better than on a notebook. Mark my words iPad will be the best selling pc in 2012 by A LOT, normal users don't needs a notebook anymore...
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Meanwhile, crickets sing joyously over at the Samsung website....

why so anti-Samsung? Samsung is too busy making new iPad's display / Cpu / nand - iPad 3 is more like 60% Samsung now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple selling out of first-day delivery pre-orders for some new iPad models