or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPhoto for iOS uses OpenStreetMap data in place of Google

Apple's new iPhoto for iOS uses OpenStreetMap data in place of Google - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...Here be Dragons...

In the 19th century, there were not many unexplored parts of the map left. It's the Victorian Era, not the Conquistadors

Source: I went there and checked.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's getting old.

Well, 19th century IS a bit old, indeed...

------

Damned, Paxman beat me to it... I was so happy with myself

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I had never thought about it before seeing OSM maps but visually map images are fugly. I hope (and assume) whatever Apple brings to the table will be more visually appealing.

Apple did bring these to the table.
They could have created any kind of map they wanted using the OSM data but for some unknown reason, they chose ye oldé pirate treasure map style, aaarrrggghhh, matey!
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple should consider reinventing the razor blade industry. What is it with all these professional executives who only shave once a week? Is that the new "in" look? If they happened to be standing in line at the bank when a robbery attempt was in progress, the police might think they were part of the heist team.

You don't need to shave if you're the undisputed *KING* of product design. You'll pull chicks left right and center no matter how you look like. Capiche?
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Apple did bring these to the table.
They could have created any kind of map they wanted using the OSM data but for some unknown reason, they chose ye oldé pirate treasure map style, aaarrrggghhh, matey!

I figure it's part of a misguided attempt to give the iPhoto maps a vintage look. No way is this intended for Apple's own mapping service. This is to make iPhoto more hip.

The fact that it's a total failure... e.g. fugly as hell... well Steve Jobs is gone, remember. He wouldn't have let this leave the company floor... he'd have fired some people...
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthorim View Post

The fact that it's a total failure... e.g. fugly as hell... well Steve Jobs is gone, remember. He wouldn't have let this leave the company floor... he'd have fired some people...

I love that people think they know this.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Forget View Post

Utterly useless maps. My address does not exist, my street is in the wrong place, 6 of 12 streets in the neighborhood are in the wrong place, there is land and a street shown where, in reality, there is water. This is in a fairly major urban area. The neighborhood was laid out in the 1930's.

This won't last long.

If you're going to rely on open source mapping, then you'll get what you pay for. Apologies to the open source communities but you guys just don't have the funding. My guess is this obviously is a stop-gay measure by Apple so they don't have to renew a contract when their so close to having their own ready.
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right. And. Steve is gone and I suspect this point will be common place sooner than later.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally posted by Tallest Skil:

But they read the book AND they read AI regularly so how could they NOT know this?
Quote:
Originally posted by ljocampo:
If you're going to rely on open source mapping, then you'll get what you pay for

And if you are going to be lazy and use two year old data and use your own format for the maps, it will be as good (or as crappy) as you (not the open source community) make it.
Quote:
Right. And. Steve is gone and I suspect this point will be common place sooner than later

It will be more common place that people will make stupid comments about knowing what Steve would have done?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's new iPhoto for iOS uses OpenStreetMap data in place of Google
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's new iPhoto for iOS uses OpenStreetMap data in place of Google