or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Intuit releases Quicken 2007 update for OS X Lion users

Intuit releases Quicken 2007 update for OS X Lion users

post #1 of 57
After releasing a stripped down version of Quicken for Mac named Quicken Essentials 2010, Intuit has released an update for the full version that can run under OS X Lion, a $15 upgrade it calls "Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible."

The original Quicken Mac 2007 supplied a variety of features missing from the more recent release of Essentials 2010, including export to TurboTax, investment tracking and direct bill payments. However, the old version relied on PowerPC code that wouldn't work on OS X Lion, which has terminated support for Rosetta translation.

Intuit has now "reengineered" Quicken Mac 2007 so that it can run on OS X Lion, and the new update, available as a digital download or on CD-ROM, can import and convert data from Quicken Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 or Quicken Essentials 2010.

Intuit recommends that "new Quicken customers should choose Quicken Essentials for Mac to get started," rather than getting the updated 2007 version with more expert features.

Intuit sells multiple versions of Quicken 2012 for Windows, which it has updated annually. During the five year wait for fully functional software capable of running on the latest Macs, many users have switched to alternatives, including the native iBank, available in the Mac App Store and in a mobile version for iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 57
they are really going to make folks pay because they were too lazy to do this recoding years ago when Apple warned everyone that eventually PPC support would be dropped.

I might just switch programs altogether then. since I have to pay no matter what

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #3 of 57
Charging for compatibility upgrades?

Quicken is embarrassing on the Mac anyways. They really don't understand simplicity and elegance. There are much better alternatives already in the App Store.
Andrew
Andrew
post #4 of 57
Why has no one stepped up with a great, modern competitor that people would not want to pgrade from SL because Intuit was lazy a half decade earlier? The free market is designed to let the lazy and weak pushed out for new innovation, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they are really going to make folks pay because they were too lazy to do this recoding years ago when Apple warned everyone that eventually PPC support would be dropped.

I might just switch programs altogether then. since I have to pay no matter what

I'm torn on this. It's an app released in 2007. I expect at some time app development should incur additional costs. Granted, in 2007 they should have planned for x86 but they have the right to be lazy and/or dumb. At least they didn't repackage the whole thing as Quicken 2012 for OS X Lion and charge full price.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #5 of 57
I have mixed emotions regarding charging for a compatibility update. I think they are doing the right thing by keeping costs low. Common people, it has been 5 years, $15 isn't going to break the bank. I don't understand calling it 2007. Why wouldn't you just call it 2012 or 2013?
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #6 of 57
Intuit has been dealing with one compatibility after another for years now. A year later, Quicken 2007 finally gets an update. But how long until this updated version doesn't work, AGAIN. Intuit makes very poor Mac software. If you can get away from it, you definitely should!
post #7 of 57
I used Quicken for many years, but they have put the minimal amount of effort into their mac software - just enough to such a few more dollars out of their users. I got sick of it, so I switched. I would encourage everyone to not pay for this repackaged code fom five years ago with no new features or refinements and pick from the other banking software that is out there for the Mac. I switched to iBank about five months ago and have been very happy with it. Use their 30 day free trial - by the end of that timeframe, I was comfortable using it and bought it and haven't thought of going back to Quicken.
post #8 of 57
So, any word on how it was "reengineered"? Is it 100% the same features and functions as the original 2007 had, or was anything left out or disabled because it was too hard to make it Lion compatible?

At least on thing appears to have changed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

can import and convert data from Quicken Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 or Quicken Essentials 2010.

Obviously QE 2010 did't exist when 2007 was released, but it can import the new programs files.
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Intuit recommends that "new Quicken customers should choose Quicken Essentials for Mac to get started," rather than getting the updated 2007 version with more expert features.

That recommendation does not bode well for the future of the more full-featured version. They are either going to only add features to the Essentials version or let both version stagnate.
post #10 of 57
We gave up on Quickbooks Pro and Quicken in our small business about 10 years ago and switched to MYOB. It was clear then, and made more clear every year that they dabble with Mac software development. We don't see this developer ever developing software that is on par with the PC version.

It surprises me that any Mac user would even consider an Intuit program. They will never keep up with Mac OS development. We recommend that anyone using a Mac view Intuit as strictly a Windows developer. Why settle for being treated as a second class citizen?

If you run Bootcamp or Parallels using Windows, then go for it. But from where we sit, their software just isn't worth the trouble.
post #11 of 57
Dear Quicken,

I'm leaving, actually I've been gone for a while. I know you noticed something was different. And no, I don't check in once in a while because the flame is still there, it's just to see if my new, er, my new friend is really as awesome by comparison as it seems. Yep. I'm with iBank now. My iMac and my iPhone are synched, so you can stop sending me mints, as if that would ever synch.

I feel so used. It was good at first, waaaay back in the day. And then after you told me that you were buying Mint and you promised you would change this time, I BELIEVED you (sniff, sniff). iBank knows how to treat me right. In the time I wrote this, I was downloading an update of "Minor fixes and improvements for tax season" from the App Store. If you had made just a little more effort, I might not have longed for more. But it's too late for that now. Ok, I'm sorry, I really don't mean to go away mad. I'm sure I'm partly to blame. Maybe if I'd known how to make all my update and usability requests in your love language, I don't know. Anyway....

SEE YA!!!!!! hahahahahhaha
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

We gave up on Quickbooks Pro and Quicken in our small business about 10 years ago and switched to MYOB. It was clear then, and made more clear every year that they dabble with Mac software development. We don't see this developer ever developing software that is on par with the PC version.

It surprises me that any Mac user would even consider an Intuit program. They will never keep up with Mac OS development. We recommend that anyone using a Mac view Intuit as strictly a Windows developer. Why settle for being treated as a second class citizen?

If you run Bootcamp or Parallels using Windows, then go for it. But from where we sit, their software just isn't worth the trouble.

From what I've heard the new version of MYOB is hideous and is turning a lot of people away.

I know a few businesses using MoneyWorks Gold which pretty much seems to do most things Quicken does. I'm not to sure about internet banking though because Internet Banking in New Zealand is pretty much log into a website and download a QIF or CSV file which MoneyWorks handles without any troubles.
post #13 of 57
Wow... all 10 Quicken for Mac users have already posted a comment...
post #14 of 57
I know that folks like to bash quicken. I've used it since 1992, as well as MacInTax (now TurboTax).

I currently have Quicken 2006 and have kept my 15 month old machine at 10.6.x. For those of us that have many years of data invested in Quicken heralding back to the days of System 6.8, it's welcoming that Intuit decided to allow us a compatible route.

Do I think there are better applications out there? Sure. But some times, an application is just 'good enough' for what lots of folks use from a core functionality perspective.

Can those like me learn something else? Sure - but in a busy life I'd rather spend my time invested in other non-financial applications pursuits.

So - let the poison darts fly, but I say "THANK YOU INTUIT".
post #15 of 57
You should see what happens when you try to run QuickBOOKS on Snow Leopard. It's hilarious.
post #16 of 57

Intuit can stick it. I spent days loading my business records into Quicken, only to find out that it can't share records with TurboTax.

Yes, you read that right. Intuit's two programs cannot share info. A huge massive waste of time and money.
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

You should see what happens when you try to run QuickBOOKS on Snow Leopard. It's hilarious.

Tell us, what happens? I've been running Quickbooks on Snow Leopard since it came out & it works fine for me.
post #18 of 57
I meant to say QuickBOOKS 2007 on 10.6. 2007 seems to be a very popular year for Intuit Mac software.
Anyway, when you open your data in QB2007, something wonderful happens. Every numerical field is filled in with completely random numbers. Clicking on those numbers causes them to disappear. The program is completely unusable in Snow Leopard. And it fails in the most spectacular way possible.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

I know that folks like to bash quicken. I've used it since 1992, as well as MacInTax (now TurboTax).

I currently have Quicken 2006 and have kept my 15 month old machine at 10.6.x. For those of us that have many years of data invested in Quicken heralding back to the days of System 6.8, it's welcoming that Intuit decided to allow us a compatible route.

Do I think there are better applications out there? Sure. But some times, an application is just 'good enough' for what lots of folks use from a core functionality perspective.

Can those like me learn something else? Sure - but in a busy life I'd rather spend my time invested in other non-financial applications pursuits.

Completely agree. It's been 5 years since Quicken 2007 came out & so far no one even comes close to being able to replace it for me. You'd think that one of the other accounting software packages would have passed it by, but every one of them has their own quirks & in the end, none of them works as well as Quicken does (for my uses). I gladly paid the $15 (As one of the other posters mentioned, it's $15 over 5 years, so I can't really complain) so that now I can finally upgrade to Lion. Been stuck on Snow Leopard because i can't find another accounting software package that I like. The update is bare-bones for sure. They didn't even fix the error on the calendar where the most recent year you can choose is 2009. You can still get to this month, but it shows the year as 1999. Oh well, at least I can still continue using it for the time being.
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

I meant to say QuickBOOKS 2007 on 10.6. 2007 seems to be a very popular year for Intuit Mac software.
Anyway, when you open your data in QB2007, something wonderful happens. Every numerical field is filled in with completely random numbers. Clicking on those numbers causes them to disappear. The program is completely unusable in Snow Leopard. And it fails in the most spectacular way possible.

That sucks! I'm on QB 2009 & it works great, but I agree, that would piss me off. I also have 2010 & 2012, but both of them are much slower than 2009, and don't add any great new features, so I stick with 2009 for day to day use.
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkral View Post

Completely agree. It's been 5 years since Quicken 2007 came out & so far no one even comes close to being able to replace it for me. You'd think that one of the other accounting software packages would have passed it by, but every one of them has their own quirks & in the end, none of them works as well as Quicken does (for my uses). I gladly paid the $15 (As one of the other posters mentioned, it's $15 over 5 years, so I can't really complain) so that now I can finally upgrade to Lion. Been stuck on Snow Leopard because i can't find another accounting software package that I like. The update is bare-bones for sure. They didn't even fix the error on the calendar where the most recent year you can choose is 2009. You can still get to this month, but it shows the year as 1999. Oh well, at least I can still continue using it for the time being.

Congrats, now you get to discover that Lion kinda sucks too
post #22 of 57
Nobody should be using any version of Quicken for MacOSX. EVERY single version has been buggy and years behind in basic functionality compared to the Windows version that is current at the time it is released.

Hell, Quicken releasing this is an admission that their MacOSX support is terrible, as it's 3 years older than their most recent release, yet it has significantly more functionality than the most current version.

Even the name of the 'current' version screams "incomplete", namely Quicken Essentials [as in, the bare essentials].
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post

The link for the download is here: http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...7-osx-lion.jsp
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I have mixed emotions regarding charging for a compatibility update. I think they are doing the right thing by keeping costs low. Common people, it has been 5 years, $15 isn't going to break the bank. I don't understand calling it 2007. Why wouldn't you just call it 2012 or 2013?

I think they should have called it Quicken 2018 which will cover them for the next six years. Any true Mac user would never stand for being a second-class citizen to Windows. This is why I only buy software, "Made for Mac," by Mac only developers in the first place. However, it pisses me off that Apple's itself and their software is starting to look like Windows too.
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post

Intuit can stick it. I spent days loading my business records into Quicken, only to find out that it can't share records with TurboTax.

Yes, you read that right. Intuit's two programs cannot share info. A huge massive waste of time and money.

It's worse than that. Try Quickbooks for Mac. As recently as 2009 (I haven't even tried it since), this version was incapable of networking. So if you had a Windows Quickbooks network, the Mac clients couldn't access the network. Absolutely incredible.

But don't think it's only the Mac programmers who are incompetent. It's not all that great on the Windows side.

I installed a Point of Sale (aptly referred to as 'POS') network on our Windows PCs. The programs wouldn't launch. I went through an entire weekend of messing around with their tech support. In each case, they told me to uninstall POS, then reinstall Windows and reinstall POS with nothing else on the machine. I did so and it still wouldn't work. Their only answer was to do it again - and again - and again. When I told them that I had already done it several times, they responded that I had to go through the process their way or they couldn't help.

Eventually, I found the problem on the Internet. There was a conflict between POS and .NET. I had to reinstall Windows - and then upgrade to a newer version of .NET than was included with Windows to get it working. An entirely wasted weekend - but the problems weren't through.

We had set it up by putting the server on my accountant's computer, but it ran too slow (which was pretty amazing because even our biggest days might have 100 transactions per day). Getting data out was a nightmare. So we bought a new server and wanted to move the POS database to the server. When it was clear that there was no easy way to do that, I call tech support again. Their solution was that the only way to move the server data file was to erase everything, uninstall POS (not just from the server, but also from the client machines), reinstall Windows on all the machines, reinstall POS and install POS server on the new server.

Apparently, the concept of networking is far too complicated for the people at Intuit.

Of course, that's not surprise. I beta tested Quicken Mac for them for years. They did have a great beta testing program (for example, they provided a series of questionnaires and asked you to try specific features in each version), but they soundly ignored all the requests. For over 10 years, Mac users constantly asked for file and feature compatibility with the Windows version - and Intuit simply ignored the requests. The really sad thing is that if they had done that at the beginning, it would almost certainly have saved them money (by keeping one code base rather than 2) as well as making customers happier and making the transition to newer OS versions easier.

I switched to SEE Finance for my own use last year. For some reason, the alternatives (iBank, etc) would not properly import my old data file, so SEE was the only choice I had. It imported all of my data properly and seems to work OK, but the UI is terrible and it's difficult to use - particularly for things like reconciling. If Intuit had actually made a decent upgrade and provided either a compatibility fix for free or a real feature equivalent upgrade for a fair price, I might have gone back, but there's no way I'm paying for a version that just fixes problems that should have been fixed 5 years ago.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #26 of 57
If they are going to do nothing more than port their old PowerPC products to Intel, and not improve them perhaps, for the sake of their customers, they should openly publish the details of their file format so that other, more actively developed, products can import their data.
post #27 of 57
I was pretty annoyed when Apple dropped support for PPC, as I had loads of old applications that would not run, including Quicken, the 2007 version of Office, and old games and utilities.

I found I didn't really miss most of the software, and that IWork did pretty much everything I needed from an Office suite, other than read Word docs that were password protected.

However, as I had over 10 years of info on Quicken, and the Lion compatible alternatives did not get great reviews, I kept Snow Leopard on my laptop, living in hope that either Intuit, or Apple would solve the problem.

So I guess this is good news and the price isn't too bad. Hopefully this won't happen again. Now I can update my laptop to Lion with all its advantages.
post #28 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

I was pretty annoyed when Apple dropped support for PPC, as I had loads of old applications that would not run, including Quicken, the 2007 version of Office, and old games and utilities.

I found I didn't really miss most of the software, and that IWork did pretty much everything I needed from an Office suite, other than read Word docs that were password protected.

However, as I had over 10 years of info on Quicken, and the Lion compatible alternatives did not get great reviews, I kept Snow Leopard on my laptop, living in hope that either Intuit, or Apple would solve the problem.

So I guess this is good news and the price isn't too bad. Hopefully this won't happen again. Now I can update my laptop to Lion with all its advantages.

Don't count on it. Intuit has demonstrated their disdain for Mac users over and over. I'd be willing to bet that a year from now, they'll announce that not enough people bought the new version of Quicken so they're dropping all Mac versions. No tech support, no bug fixes, nothing to allow it to work with new versions of Mac OS.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #29 of 57
I (my wife) uses Quicken Mac 2006. Single reason why we haven't upgraded to Lion.

Can I simply download the $14.99 update and it will work? No info on the Quicken website...
post #30 of 57
I think it goes without saying that Intuit has steadily disrespected Mac users for years - I gave up a while back and I switched to iBank. I've loved every minute of switching and sure, there were struggles and extra time that was needed to adapt but I really would recommend it wholeheartedly. I watched the sample videos on iBank's website to get me up to speed and they really helped. Wow, that sounds like I work for iBank but I don't, I'm just liberated because it's like I finally have gotten out of a bad relationship and I realized the cloud that was hanging over my head that I couldn't see while I was too deep in it. Move on from Intuit/Quicken/Quickbooks and don't look back - they're only scattering to try and help now because people are using Macs more and more...too little, too late!
T.J.
T.J.
post #31 of 57
I'm a refugee from Quicken trying iBank. iBank for Mac is fine, but I haven't found a way of getting iBank for iPhone to sync with my MacBook; The sync procedures still refer to MobileMe and don't seem to work with iCloud. There's nothing on iBank's Web site to help. I might go back to Moneydance. Their iPhone app works. I was running Quicken on my Mac using Crossover, which works fine, but I want to get back to having a mobile extension like I did back in the days of Palm and Pocket Quicken.

Intuit has not only treated Mac users very shoddily; it abandoned UK users when it pulled the plug on Internet updating of share prices. I wouldn't go near them again.
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
iPhone 4S + MacBook Pro
post #32 of 57
So what are the alternatives to Quicken?

Something that can predict cash flow, bills coming due, etc. Something that has most of the features of Quicken's Windows version of the software.
post #33 of 57
My wife is a financial professional, so she is fussy about our home financial software. Quicken (although old and clunky) did things for her that no other program could do.

I finally talked her into buying iBank, and while it comes close, it still doesn't meet her high standards...mainly regarding investment work. She is getting by, but barely.

Fortunately, we saved Quicken 2007 (and years of data) to a separate drive, in hopes that Intuit will finally come through.

So, for $15, for us, it's worth trying it out.
post #34 of 57
my quicken data goes back 20+ years. i've purchased every update intuit put out (except quicken essentials) and i have the disks to prove it. one of the (many) things keeping me from lion was quicken. ibank has import issues and can't properly import my quicken data, so i don't really want to leap from the frying pan into the fire. and i'll be damned if i'm going to pay intuit any more for their laziness. (if it's "just" fifteen dollars then why don't they provide free upgrades?) i need to have a virtual machine around anyway, so i'll just run quicken on that, which should buy me a few more years. hopefully something better will come along in the meantime ...
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post

So what are the alternatives to Quicken?

Something that can predict cash flow, bills coming due, etc. Something that has most of the features of Quicken's Windows version of the software.

I'm not sure that any Mac app is the equivalent of the Windows version of Quicken. There are a number that are easily replacements for the Mac version:
iBank
SEE Finance
Moneydance

Of the three, iBank seems to be getting the best reviews, but it wouldn't import my data file, so I couldn't use it. SEE Finance imported my data file properly, but is much more difficult to use. I don't know about Moneydance - it also wouldn't import my data file.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

I (my wife) uses Quicken Mac 2006. Single reason why we haven't upgraded to Lion.

Can I simply download the $14.99 update and it will work? No info on the Quicken website...

Yes. That's exactly what I did and it worked fine (so far). AI calls it an "update" but it's really the full version.
post #37 of 57
My 2 concerns are retaining my payee list and an online bill pay. AFAIK, only Quicken has that option - and only for Windows. 'tis why I have a VM. I have to review my situation this month as Intuit is locking me out of online retrieval et.al. unless I upgrade to their 2012 release (running 2009.)
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
It is useless for sheep to pass laws outlawing carnivorism when the wolf is of a different mind.
post #38 of 57
The MYOB (now Acclivity) package for Mac (AccountEdge) has rather good feature parity with the Windows version and is a reasonable choice for small businesses.

http://accountedge.com/mac/

Cheers,

Thomas
post #39 of 57
I have Quicken 2004...main reason for using the older version is that I didn't need the banking connection for my checkbook or to write checks or to any of the other advanced features with the newer versions. I just use it for data entry to get my totals for expenses and income reports at the end of the year. It will continue to be that way. I may want to connect to TurboTax but it so easy just to enter a few numbers once I have the report.

So, upgrading would be a $49.99 cost for Essentials. I have data that goes back 10 years and the Essentials version will be compatible with Snow Leopard & Lion so I can try it out for 60 days with a money back guarantee. I will probably try it out but my MBP is almost 3 years old now and all my other apps work so well, I am reluctant to go to Lion even if Essentials does work. I want to keep SL! I have a Mac Pro which will be upgraded to Lion since I do have a .me address.

My other thought is to just get one of the new iPads so I can have all my contacts, datebook, mail, etc sync easily with no upgrade at all for the MBP. My only regret with Apple is that even now I can sync all that info with all my older macs, even my G4 with is running 10.4. It's too bad they don't want to have any backward compatibility. Another alternative would be to use that with my current version of quicken and not upgrade at all.

I am waiting it out for another couple of months before I have to make to switch to iCloud and Lion. I am hoping ( but not expecting ) that Apple will come out with 10.6.9 that will sync with iCloud even with some features not there would be fine...all I want is the basics without all the other new "push" of docs and photos and more to all my devices. I don't care bout that.

That makes the iPad a very good possibility! That would simplify everything with a lot less work to switch over to Lion! ( Oh, I didn't mention even less in cost that getting a Macbook Air. )
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspatko View Post

The MYOB (now Acclivity) package for Mac (AccountEdge) has rather good feature parity with the Windows version and is a reasonable choice for small businesses.

http://accountedge.com/mac/

Cheers,

Thomas

I couldn't care less about he Windows parity, but AccountEdge is a fine app for small business accounting. Its what I use and would recommend to other Mac users instead of Quick Books. Why keep dealing with Intuit when they've demonstrated they care about Mac users?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Intuit releases Quicken 2007 update for OS X Lion users