or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › So, I'm thinking of buying the new iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, I'm thinking of buying the new iPad

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I previously owned the Acer Iconia A500, nice but too heavy, even if it had expandable storage. I currently own the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 which is a decent weight and a good size. I bought those for the freedom and I really dig widgets.

My brother has an iPad 2. I own an iPod 3 and iPod 4. I have a lot invested in iTunes, movies and tv shows.

I am tempted by the HD of the new iPad but weight is the issue. I got rid of my Acer because it weighed too much. I've played with my bros iPad 2 a lot and for me it weighs too much for one handed use.

Do you guys think that Apple will release a iPad mini or iPod maxi at around the 7 inch spec?

It's the one thing that Apple has over Google, I like to own my content and have it when I want it, movies and tv shows.

I'm so torn and I like widgets so much.
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

I am tempted by the HD of the new iPad but weight is the issue.

What did your Acer weigh? Ah, 1.69 lbs. The iPad is 1.4.

Quote:
Do you guys think that Apple will release a iPad mini or iPod maxi at around the 7 inch spec?

Absolutely not.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 13
Buy the iPad and the cck to go with it. You get the better tablet and you get the sd card slot and USB port sans the Android mediocrity.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What did your Acer weigh? Ah, 1.69 lbs. The iPad is 1.4.

What part of I traded in the Acer for a Galaxy 8.9 because of the weight did you not get?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

What part of I traded in the Acer for a Galaxy 8.9 because of the weight did you not get?

I asked a question. I fail to see how your statement directly relates to said question.

The iPad weighs more than the Tab 8.9, which makes sense, given that it's larger.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Do you guys think that Apple will release a iPad mini or iPod maxi at around the 7 inch spec?

Absolutely not.

Hard to say, there are a few rumors going around that Apple might release a new 7 inch pad. Also Tim did say expect to see plenty more innovation 'across' the year.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I asked a question. I fail to see how your statement directly relates to said question.

The iPad weighs more than the Tab 8.9, which makes sense, given that it's larger.

If you don't get it I guess you just don't "get it". Seriously global mod?
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post

Hard to say, there are a few rumors going around that Apple might release a new 7 inch pad.

There were a few rumors going around in 2007 and 2008 that Apple would make an "iPhone nano". Because if there's one thing that people complain about, it's that the iPhone is too big.

Quote:
Also Tim did say expect to see plenty more innovation 'across' the year.

Tim says a lot of things. None of which can be construed as referring to new products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

If you don't get it I guess you just don't "get it". Seriously global mod?

If you'd enlighten me as to your point, I'd be grateful. And as to why you think my being a moderator has anything to do with your problem.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Do you guys think that Apple will release a iPad mini or iPod maxi at around the 7 inch spec?

No. If you want something smaller, Apple would say get an iPod touch or iPhone. If Apple delivers another iPad form factor, I believe they will go bigger (13 to 14 inches).

The problem with a 7" tablet for Apple is that they think applications will have to be designed specifically for that size. They do not want to use the same iPhone apps that'll appear huge or the same iPad apps that'll appear tiny. So in effect, a 7" tablet is a new "platform" and they would have to put developers through yet another transition or add to their development load, where they will have to design their app specifically for a 7" size.

Maybe in another couple years when developers have had more time to adjust to retina displays on iPads and iPhones/iPods, Apple might add it.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

What part of I traded in the Acer for a Galaxy 8.9 because of the weight did you not get?

Wait, wait, wait. First of all, why are you mad about this? Yes, your android tablets are going to be considerably heavier than the iPad. That being said, if the iPad 2 is "too heavy" for one hand, you should probably hit the gym, my man.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

No. If you want something smaller, Apple would say get an iPod touch or iPhone. If Apple delivers another iPad form factor, I believe they will go bigger (13 to 14 inches).

The problem with a 7" tablet for Apple is that they think applications will have to be designed specifically for that size. They do not want to use the same iPhone apps that'll appear huge or the same iPad apps that'll appear tiny. So in effect, a 7" tablet is a new "platform" and they would have to put developers through yet another transition or add to their development load, where they will have to design their app specifically for a 7" size.

Maybe in another couple years when developers have had more time to adjust to retina displays on iPads and iPhones/iPods, Apple might add it.

Thank you Shrike for actually reading my post. I've just wanted an iPod Touch with a little bigger screen since I got my Photon. I don't like to use my Photon as a media player because to get the same battery life I would have to turn off the 3g and Android does not have access to the iTunes market anyway . I can't buy Law and Order from them. It's the last feature that Google does not offer that Apple does, Video Media you own.

I don't think they ever will. I think Hollywood is holding out for Windows 8.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

Thank you Shrike for actually reading my post. I've just wanted an iPod Touch with a little bigger screen since I got my Photon. I don't like to use my Photon as a media player because to get the same battery life I would have to turn off the 3g and Android does not have access to the iTunes market anyway . I can't buy Law and Order from them. It's the last feature that Google does not offer that Apple does, Video Media you own.

I don't think they ever will. I think Hollywood is holding out for Windows 8.

Cant imagine why, they have came to the party way too late!
We are the Dollars and Cents
Reply
We are the Dollars and Cents
Reply
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMohack View Post

I previously owned the Acer Iconia A500, nice but too heavy, even if it had expandable storage. I currently own the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 which is a decent weight and a good size. I bought those for the freedom and I really dig widgets.

My brother has an iPad 2. I own an iPod 3 and iPod 4. I have a lot invested in iTunes, movies and tv shows.

I am tempted by the HD of the new iPad but weight is the issue. I got rid of my Acer because it weighed too much. I've played with my bros iPad 2 a lot and for me it weighs too much for one handed use.

Do you guys think that Apple will release a iPad mini or iPod maxi at around the 7 inch spec?

It's the one thing that Apple has over Google, I like to own my content and have it when I want it, movies and tv shows.

I'm so torn and I like widgets so much.

Going from a Android 3.2 environment to a iPad iOS one is a hard one to make. Will this be your first iPad? Regardless of what you read here, iOS is not a superior OS compared to Android. iOS was designed to make only Apple content attractive. If your not prepared to drink the Apple Coolaid and spend a small fortune in apps and content then please do your self a favour and skip this platform all together.

The iPad however has tons of games, music and productivity apps. Apples hardware quality is amazing and on par with the Motorola Xoom 2, which is great. The screen resolution can't be beat. The battery is fantastic for a LTE device, best in the industry.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › So, I'm thinking of buying the new iPad