or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out - Page 7

post #241 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are ARM-based netbooks that can get well over 10 hours and run a windows OS that is actually a decent windowed OS.

Yea I tried most of them, I finally found the perfect one. The Asus Slider, I can dual boot into Ubuntu 11.04 but Android is really like Linux, I have a LAMP server and Eclipse running in Android 4.03. This new Padphone is faster though and it's a phone to not just a tablet or laptop.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #242 of 423
Preordered at 5 on Wednesday. Got a tracking no. thurs. nite. Called FEDEX yesterday because it says unit is in "MIDDLETOWN, PA", and is to be overnighted". I told them I live in NYC, and i should get it on Mon. or Tue. He then put a directive note in my order to release it for delivery on Mon.
Should i be holding my breath all day Monday till 3pm, instead of friday???
Thx folks.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
post #243 of 423
[QUOTE=theskivvys;2069155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic
Oh, because when the Padphone is connected to the keyboard dock you get 18 - 24 hours of battery and only weighs 2 lbs. So if there is a laptop with that kind of battery life I'm in.

I used to use a keyboard dock the Palm TX about 5 years agos. Those docks don't last long, they are always cheaply made.

The Asus Padphone keyboard is much different, it has a built in battery and is very, very sturdy. have you ever played with Asus Transformer. It's the same dock.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #244 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The Asus Padphone keyboard is much different, it has a built in battery and is very, very sturdy. have you ever played with Asus Transformer. It's the same dock.

I think that device looks inherently flawed but I do like Asus and think they make solid HW for the price and get amazing battery life compared to other comparable OEMs so I wish you well.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #245 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yea I tried most of them, I finally found the perfect one. The Asus Slider, I can dual boot into Ubuntu 11.04 but Android is really like Linux, I have a LAMP server and Eclipse running in Android 4.03. This new Padphone is faster though and it's a phone to not just a tablet or laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have my doubts about these devices. I've seen the Moto Atrix in action and it sucks. The pointer-based, windowed UI sucks. Android just have it, plus you lose a lot of performance by having everything running in the phone, not to mention each component is expensive.

If you are wanting to consolidate a couple devices I think Win8 as a notebook/tablet or tablet/desktop might offer the best of both worlds. Especially considering an Intel-based CPU that will outperform any ARM CPU. But even that has plenty of cons.

If anyone can do this right I think it's Apple because they do use the same kernel, core OS (Darwin), and many frameworks across their iOS and OS X lines. If anyone can get a phone/tablet with a CocoaTouch UI to instantly and seamlessly switch to the Aqua UI and back again... it's Apple. Of course, I wouldn't suggest holding your breath for that to happen.

Yeah these are all fringe devices going nowhere, not sure why they are being trolled on this Apple site!
post #246 of 423
[QUOTE=Relic;2069158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post


The Asus Padphone keyboard is much different, it has a built in battery and is very, very sturdy. have you ever played with Asus Transformer. It's the same dock.

Not going to try the Asus padphone (not because it is a fringe device going nowhere), but because for the same $$$ I would rather use a laptop, so I can use stuff such as the Roland Quadcapture. If I am going to use a consumption device the only answer is the ipad as the long q's prove!
post #247 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that device looks inherently flawed but I do like Asus and think they make solid HW for the price and get amazing battery life compared to other comparable OEMs so I wish you well.

Hey thanks, I still wont give up my iPad, I need it for my music. Can I ask you why you won't think it will work. I really thought the same thing before I finally broke down and bought my Asus Slider. I now love it so much it's become my main traveling companion, almost replacing my Macbook Air, almost.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #248 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I would assume a lot of the preorders are being shipped directly to the doorstep....like most are saying on this thread.

Yes, I'm not sure why anyone would have pre-ordered on the 16th for in-store pickup. It will likely be a zoo at most of the Apple stores. I can totally see doing that once the initial rush is over, though.

It's iOS devices that people wait for. When the new MacBook Air came out last July, I pre-ordered it, but then cancelled when I realized that I could just get it the next day at the store (5th Avenue no less) without waiting, rather than wait an extra day for my pre-order to arrive. OTOH, I was annoyed that I couldn't pre-order the unlocked iPhone 4S at the initial launch, and wound up having to use the in-store reservation system (and I purchased an "AT&T" device only phone to get an unlocked one a few weeks before the unlocked one officially released here).
post #249 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Yeah these are all fringe devices going nowhere, not sure why they are being trolled on this Apple site!

Oh sorry just making conversation. Apple keeps saying that a lot of people are using their iPads more then their PCs. If this is true I just really wish the iPad OS would be more like OSX and not so closed.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #250 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Actually the biggest thing that is missing from that list is a file manager. Now I've discuss this with a lot of people on this board and most say it really isn't a big deal. I beg to differ, I like having full control over the way my data is stored on my device. Which folders contain what and which applications can save or read from certain folders. There is also the need to backup folders, zip large files, access multiple NAS drives or just even one Windows server.

While I can see where file management remains an issue (for now), there's a difference between what you like and what's actually necessary. The latter is largely a matter of habitual workflow, and while having to change up your way of doing things might not strike you as a worthwhile bargain, it's still not an actual general shortcoming of the platform. Apple didn't leave out direct file management access because its too hard to do or they couldn't figure it out, they left it out because its part of the new computing paradigm they're developing. As such, I have no doubt they're even now working on new workflows that allow anyone to do anything they need.

Now that workflow might involve Apple's servers or even (horror) iTunes, but distaste for that is different from not being able to do something at all. It's important to remember that the "wide open freedom" of PCs are actually just familiar routines. I can no more do anything I want to do on a desktop computer than I can make a car fly, it's just that I'm very, very familiar with a computer's limitations, restrictions and conventions-- so much so I don't really think about them, and treat what I can do like it was a natural, unbounded process.

Quote:
On my Android tablet I use a file manager by the name of FX, right not I have my work server mounted over VPN as a folder, my two home servers and my next door neighbors (we share a media server). To watch a movie I simply double tap on the file and it starts streaming. These features are available out of the box as is having pretty much every codec needed.

That doesn't strike me as a very typical use case, however. It gets back to "I should be able to do this because I want to, and if the iPad can't it's broken" way of thinking. I mean, there's nothing keeping an iPad owner from watching streaming movies, it's just setup somewhat differently.

Quote:
To get even close to most of these features on my iPad I had to fork out an additional 50 bucks in apps. I still don't have a file manager though. I'm not asking for one that is as powerful as what's available in the Android world but I think Apple can give me one where I can at least access the home directory. ....and no I don't want to use iTunes, that's retarded.

What's "retarded" about using iTunes? And perhaps the fact that you think that has something to do with your difficulties?

Quote:
I use my iPad 2 for making and recording my music for that the iPad 2 is incredible. Multimedia and work stuff I use my Asus Slider.

Yeah, it seems like you're kind of going out of your way to enforce the old "Apples are for the art department, anything else is for work" canard, but that takes no measure of the vast gulf in actual productivity apps between the platforms. What good is dicking around with the file system if you don't have the apps to create files in the first place? And yes, I'm sure you have each and every app you need on the Asus, but there's no denying that there's hugely more development activity going on building out the iPad app ecosystem, across all kinds of disciplines.

Quote:
I am in a dilemma though, I'm not sure if I want to sell my iPad 2 and get the new one. The speed on the iPad 2 is fine and I doubt the iPad 3 will make much difference there but that screen is defiantly a hmmmmmmm. Then there is Asus's new Padphone which is the coolest Phone/Tablet/Netbook that I have ever seen, gosh I'm really stuck.

If the Padphone strikes you as the coolest thing you've seen, I kind of think you should sell the iPad and move on. I don't think you're really Apple's intended customer.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #251 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nah. The stock market isn't logical.

It's more likely that the analysts will say something like "there are a few people on the planet who haven't ordered an iPad, so you should sell your Apple stock."

Funny. The stock was down at the actual announcement, but then rebounded the next day once the market had a chance to absorb the news. My guess is we'll see a pop, but it's tough to say. Apple has gone up quite a bit over the last few weeks. We'll get a better sense of how sustainable their stock price trajectory is next month when they release earnings. The iPad launch will be included in the quarterly results, so that should offset the effect of people delaying purchases at the end of February (which is what led to Apple's earnings "miss" in the September quarter).
post #252 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I have a LAMP server and Eclipse running in Android 4.03.

Why? What purpose does it serve to host a website off of a tablet or smartphone?
post #253 of 423
[QUOTE=theskivvys;2069164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post


Not going to try the Asus padphone (not because it is a fringe device going nowhere), but because for the same $$$ I would rather use a laptop, so I can use stuff such as the Roland Quadcapture. If I am going to use a consumption device the only answer is the ipad as the long q's prove!

Yep, love the iPad for music creation. My only point is I now use my tablet as my laptop and I think the world is going in this direction.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #254 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Hey thanks, I still wont give up my iPad, I need it for my music. Can I ask you why you won't think it will work. I really thought the same thing before I finally broke down and bought my Asus Slider. I now love it so much it's become my main traveling companion, almost replacing my Macbook Air, almost.

  • A desktop UI can't be whipped up and I've seen no evidence that netbook feature will offer one.
  • The netbook keyboard and battery option is an option which means less buyers than the main smartphone/tablet combo which translates into less support than will probably be desired by users.
  • A netbook that is running ARM, even a fast ARM chip is still slow. If you are using a desktop you are likely wanting something more robust unless it's just general word processing.
  • If a call comes in and I'm using the netbook or tablet I have to stop what I'm doing and remove the phone from inside the device.
  • I'm seen the price for just the tablet/smartphone to be over $1000 USD.
I can't see this making any sense for a smartphone user, but I can see how plugging a tablet into a docking station that offered a good windowed UI could have its benefits.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #255 of 423
[QUOTE=Relic;2069158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post


The Asus Padphone keyboard is much different, it has a built in battery and is very, very sturdy. have you ever played with Asus Transformer. It's the same dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh sorry just making conversation. Apple keeps saying that a lot of people are using their iPads more then their PCs. If this is true I just really wish the iPad OS would be more like OSX and not so closed.

Powerhouse users & hardcore gamers (which are the minority) will not be satisfied with the new ipad if they are trying to use it as a Macbook Pro. But if you understand the limitations and use it for its intended purpose, then you will be more than happy. I am not going to hook my Roland Quadcapture and AKG C550 mic to it, cos I know you can't, and Apple never said you could. So I use my cheap-ass AMD APU netbook for that, but my netbook is nowhere near as nice for reading emails, web surfing and other things. Also cos my netbook is windows I have to put up with slow start up times and worry about viruses and other misc crashes and things compared with the ipad.
post #256 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Why? What purpose does it serve to host a website off of a tablet or smartphone?

If you read the post I use my Asus Slider as a laptop because It can run things like Eclipse on it. I use it for programming, why not is has a really nice keyboard. I'm a Unix person who always pushes the envelope on all my device.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #257 of 423
[QUOTE=Relic;2069172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post


Yep, love the iPad for music creation. My only point is I now use my tablet as my laptop and I think the world is going in this direction.

Maybe IOS 6 or 7 might merge with OS X, who knows! but atm this is not the case!
post #258 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is simply no evidence to back up a statement like that, since Apple is the only company that reports sales in this product segment. The rest of them, perhaps not surprisingly, tell us about their shipments: i.e., we have absolutely no clue how many are sitting on shelves versus in the customers' hands.

My guess is that iPad's market share is still 95%. There is no way that anyone can disprove that! (And, trotting out some consulting firm's estimate doesn't cut it).

The figures I mentioned were quoted on Bloomberg TV last week as fact. Not analysts estimates.
post #259 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by veblen View Post

Why? What purpose does it serve to host a website off of a tablet or smartphone?

That's the kind of thing that's important to phandroids. They seem to spend their time looking for bizarre things that a tablet might be able to do and then spend countless hours rooting their system and fiddling with software to try to make it work.

iPad users (like Mac users) don't care about doing things just for the sake of geekiness. If it doesn't have a practical purpose, forget it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Kindle fire? Or plain old kindle? People certainly buy Fires instead of iPads, and they're definitely the same market. Different ends of it, but the same market. Kindle classic, certainly not the same market..

It all depends on how you define 'market'. In the real world, Tim Cook publicly stated that they are not seeing any sign of the Fire taking any iPad customers. That's pretty strong evidence that the Fire isn't real competition for the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Ah yes... market share.

Technically... market share is measured when a product leaves the factory and enters the channel.

No, technically, market share is measured when a product is purchased by a consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, are the dozens and dozens of companies and government departments handing iPads out to their employees just handing out toys? When did they start that?!

Like American Airlines. US Air Force. And thousands of other companies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I wonder why.
I having new iPads in their stores beginning March 16th, but I don't understand why Apple doesn't start immediately delivering them to people who pre-ordered. I understand the appeal of having a unified "launch day" but I think it makes even more sense to get new iPads in people's hands immediately, especially since pre-orders sold out. This would drive even more people to Apple Stores on launch day to try and get their hands on them.

Getting them into customers hands a couple of days early doesn't help a bit. People are buying them faster than Apple can ship them so there's plenty of early interest.

OTOH, having a few of them in peoples' hands can create problems as some people complain that there's didn't come as early as their neighbor's. And allegations of favoritism. And, in today's legal climate, possibly even lawsuits. More importantly, having a single launch day when several million are delivered on the same day creates a massive amount of press that a staggered release doesn't achieve.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #260 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

If you read the post I use my Asus Slider as a laptop because It can run things like Eclipse on it. I use it for programming, why not is has a really nice keyboard. I'm a Unix person who always pushes the envelope on all my device.

You can use your really nice keyboard to ssh into a server. I don't understand the value of hosting those services on the tablet.
post #261 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Those numbers are misleading. In order to get there, they had to include stuff like the Kindle Fire - which is not affecting Apple's sales.

What? You are joking? Why do you think they kept the iPad 2 and lowered the price.
post #262 of 423
[QUOTE=Relic;2069172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post


Yep, love the iPad for music creation. My only point is I now use my tablet as my laptop and I think the world is going in this direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

If you read the post I use my Asus Slider as a laptop because It can run things like Eclipse on it. I use it for programming, why not is has a really nice keyboard. I'm a Unix person who always pushes the envelope on all my device.

LOL hardcore progammer on an ASUS slider. I like ASUS products, my monitor is an ASUS pa246 hooked up to my MAC, but I not going to fork out $$$$ on a consumption device to do some programming. Get a laptop for the same $$$ and stop trolling on this site!
post #263 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Ok answer this question please..

If it's not a toy why do they show small children using it in Apple's TV advertising for the iPad?

You can even buy it at Toys R Us.

So that means all of these laptops are toys because they are also sold at Toys R Us?
post #264 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To be fair some of their numbers are committed, non-reversable sales to retailers that may not have reached customers hands or in some cases may still be in retailer distribution centers before being sent to stores.

Very true... but that tiny amount is more than some OEM's entire production runs!

I would be curious to know... has a store ever sent an iPad back to Apple because they couldn't sell it?

I don't know how many iPads a particular store like Target orders... but I can't imagine a single iPad stays on the shelf for more than a few days.
post #265 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

  • A desktop UI can't be whipped up and I've seen no evidence that netbook feature will offer one.
  • The netbook keyboard and battery option is an option which means less buyers than the main smartphone/tablet combo which translates into less support than will probably be desired by users.
  • A netbook that is running ARM, even a fast ARM chip is still slow. If you are using a desktop you are likely wanting something more robust unless it's just general word processing.
  • If a call comes in and I'm using the netbook or tablet I have to stop what I'm doing and remove the phone from inside the device.
  • I'm seen the price for just the tablet/smartphone to be over $1000 USD.
I can't see this making any sense for a smartphone user, but I can see how plugging a tablet into a docking station that offered a good windowed UI could have its benefits.

The speed on my Asus Slider is actually pretty quick for what I'm doing and this new Padphone is 3 times faster. I'm just a programmer, so I use a IDE like Eclipse and Zend, a few services like LAMP and Tomcat all which run very quickly. When you get a phone call you can answer it right on the tablet, you can either use the speaker phone or use the included stylus as the phone, yes it has a mini microphone and speaker in the fricken pen. How cool is that.

I get your point though. I travel very extensively for work and the less equipment I can bring the easier my life is. That's why I love tablets, most of them have great battery life and are fast enough for what I do on them. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much I bitch and complain Apple isn't going to install a lite or any version of OSX on their tablets. So I have to bring a laptop if I want to do any editing of my programs. However I found that Android 4.03 offers me a workable solution that gives me the best of both worlds. The power of a Linux based OS that begs to be hacked into little pieces. My Asus Slider is even overclocked to 1.6 GHZ without much in the way of better loss, how neat is that.

Still I would prefer a iPad, wasn't there a company that converted Apple Macbooks into tablets?
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #266 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I've posted this before, so might as well post it again. The upgrade on this model, the new iPad, will be almost the entire installed use of the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. The iPad 1 hangers on will have been waiting for the typical two cycle upgrade, the iPad 2 users will be impressed by the screen.

I read - on an online forum - about a massive "drop" in iPad 2 prices. There has been a drop but on eBay UK the average lowest price is £297, although I can see someone selling one for £400. Good luck with that one.

The cost of an upgrade - new Screen, LTE ( if it matters in the UK), faster graphics etc. - is £200.

There is no economic reason for the iPad 2 holders to not upgrade. Surely this upgrade is worth £200 ( less for people who sold a few weeks ago). This is doubling of the upgrade cycle, it's reduced to one rather than two years. The iPad 1 is selling at about £200, so a mere £300 to get a new one. ( all of these are the lowest entry model but the pattern is the same throughout the line).

So a 90% upgrade cycle.

And the old iPads? If not sold, handed to family. Will, mostly, stay in use. They will be the new upgraders to the next iPad. Coming later this year.


EDIT: I mislead. Those prices were not averages but the from price on eBay. £297 is the lowest price on ebay for the 16GB model iPad2 and £200 is the lowest price for the iPad 1.

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.
post #267 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

So that means all of these laptops are toys because they are also sold at Toys R Us?

Man those are some ugly notebooks. I think Toshiba has maybe three models that I would consider buying.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #268 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

And faster processor, bigger battery, better camera

Sounds suspiciously like the stuff we've had to rattle off when people claim the iPhone 4S wasn't an actual upgrade.

I'm not refuting your point; I certainly don't think iPad 2 owners (and even some iPad 1 owners) would necessarily upgrade, I'm just clarifying.
post #269 of 423
If Apple know they're going to sell 10million in the first week and they make 6 million units then clearly sales will be off the hook. Therefore great headlines and higher stock.

If they made 30 million units and had 15 million orders, would sales be reported as poor?

I'd like to know the projected numbers versus units made.
post #270 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

I thought about buying the ipad 2 3 months ago, but knowing that Apple upgrades every year, I put it off and am glad I have. Can't wait to get the new IPAD!
post #271 of 423
[QUOTE=pacificfilm;2069097]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

"... Maybe "toy" is juvenile - it's an entertainment device shall we say. Which as you say is probably what most people use their computers at home for anyway.."

Then you better let: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, 35% of doctors surveyed in the EU (1,207 physicians in the U.K., France, Germany, Spain, and Italy about their iPad use. Among the respondents, 26% said they own an iPad and spend 27% of their professional online time using the device), AMC of USAF (refueling for AF Transport planes), adoption by schools from kindergarten through University level....that they are dealing with a toy!

Sounds like my uncle, a geezer who is convinced of what he is convinced of, the facts notwithstanding. One of his fav quotes is "Don't bug me with your junk science, boy, I've been in business longer than you've been alive." (followed by a smile of knowingness.'

"..but its nice to wind up all the radical fanbois on here once in a while. It stops them howling at the moon instead..."

If you're here to 'wind up' "radical fanbois" then talking real info about technology is like peeing in the ocean. Nothing changes, and you definitely have time on your hands to spend it 'winding up people.'

The pilots will be playing Angry Birds on it before the end of the flight just like the rest of us.
post #272 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

the cost, as I pointed out - the main part of my argument - is not £659 for a new model but £200. Once you trade the old one.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #273 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

90% upgrade cycle? I don't think so. Maybe for iPad 1 owners but not for iPad 2 owners. I'm not upgrading my iPad 2 coz I wanted a 128GB version. Who cares about the screen. The screen on my iPad 2 is very good. I'm not going to spend £659 on a new model just for a better screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The speed on my Asus Slider is actually pretty quick for what I'm doing and this new Padphone is 3 times faster. I'm just a programmer, so I use a IDE like Eclipse and Zend, a few services like LAMP and Tomcat all which run very quickly. When you get a phone call you can answer it right on the tablet, you can either use the speaker phone or use the included stylus as the phone, yes it has a mini microphone and speaker in the fricken pen. How cool is that.

I get your point though. I travel very extensively for work and the less equipment I can bring the easier my life is. That's why I love tablets, most of them have great battery life and are fast enough for what I do on them. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much I bitch and complain Apple isn't going to install a lite or any version of OSX on their tablets. So I have to bring a laptop if I want to do any editing of my programs. However I found that Android 4.03 offers me a workable solution that gives me the best of both worlds. The power of a Linux based OS that begs to be hacked into little pieces. My Asus Slider is even overclocked to 1.6 GHZ without much in the way of better loss, how neat is that.

Still I would prefer a iPad, wasn't there a company that converted Apple Macbooks into tablets?

Yep Macbook Air and get a watch phone with a bluetooth headset like the Sennheiser MM450 if you are worried about carrying too much!
post #274 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple hasn't released numbers but their comments are based on actual orders by end users, not shipments to sit in the stores.

WRONG! It is simply Apple trying to make it look like they are selling a lot of iPads.
/s <- this /s means end of sarcasm.

I guess you missed the comment I quoted and the /s (meaning end of sarcasm) at the end of my comment. (having to explain really screws it up...)
Quote:
They are Samsung after all

post #275 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It all depends on how you define 'market'. In the real world, Tim Cook publicly stated that they are not seeing any sign of the Fire taking any iPad customers. That's pretty strong evidence that the Fire isn't real competition for the iPad.

That's the thing about customers who don't buy your product. You don't see them! Did Apple call you after you ordered a Dell and ask why you didn't come to them? If there was no Kindle Fire, and no other competing tablet on the market, do you really think that Apple wouldn't have sold more iPads?

Yeah, that's how you know the Fire is taking iPad customers.

My clients (I'm in the computer support business) choose between iPad and Kindle all the time. While I recommend iPad generally, if they are buying it for a 8 year old, or 3 of them, and $1500 is a lot of money, I won't discourage them from the Kindle fire. If the Fire didn't exist, I would tell them just buy an iPad for the family and keep it well protected.

That's a lost sale, and I'm PRETTY sure my clients aren't the only outliers who consider the extra $400 investment to be difficult.
post #276 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Well, the thing is, "running a business" generally involves managing emails, scheduling, accounts, payments, orders, assets, possibly a web presence, payroll, records, various forms, etc.

There's nothing in that list that isn't well within the capabilities of an iPad. In terms of actual computing horsepower, they're trivial. For certain things a keyboard is handy, but those are available for the iPad as well.

Even if your specific preferred software isn't yet available, that's not a structural problem with the iPad, it's just a matter of the newness of the platform. With the speed at which the iPad is moving into various markets, new business software is coming online daily. Arguably the biggest hole is Office, but rumor has it that's on the way (and MS would be foolish not to, even if they wait until after their Windows 8 version is shipping).

Even within the specific feature sets of a given iPad port of a given software title the same principle applies as what I'm claiming for computers-- that for instance Office is vastly more powerful and unwieldy than most users want or need, and an iPad version, while almost certainly less expansive than its desktop counterpart, will nevertheless probably satisfy the majority of the use cases. I suspect that's true of a whole raft of software titles-- tablet ports are going to focus on what's really needed, and discard several generations of feature bloat. At which point people start wondering the same thing they wonder when they start using their iPad for a lot of tasks formerly done on desktops or laptops-- "Why did I need all that extra stuff"?

I use my computer probably 10 hours a day. I would go cross eyed looking at a 10" screen for that length of time day after day.

Second point - I usually have at least 5 applications running on my computer at the same so I can flip between them quickly. When you can do that on an iPad come back and tell me how it's an alternative to the Mac/PC for people who use their computer for more than pissing about on the internet, email and watching TV.
post #277 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskivvys View Post

Yep Macbook Air and get a watch phone with a bluetooth headset like the Sennheiser MM450 if you are worried about carrying too much!

Oh I have one, the 11" i7 variant, just prefer using my tablet more, love touchscreens. I'm also a big believer in the one device can do it all theory and will always reward a company by purchasing a device that attempts to do it.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #278 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Oh I have one, the 11" i7 variant, just prefer using my tablet more, love touchscreens. I'm also a big believer in the one device can do it all theory and will always reward a company by purchasing a device that attempts to do it.

a truck is not a car.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #279 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I use my computer probably 10 hours a day. I would go cross eyed looking at a 10" screen for that length of time day after day.

Second point - I usually have at least 5 applications running on my computer at the same so I can flip between them quickly. When you can do that on an iPad come back and tell me how it's an alternative to the Mac/PC for people who use their computer for more than pissing about on the internet, email and watching TV.

Great, you have your device. Each to his own but don't put people down for just using their devices how they want to.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #280 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I can't wait to hear from all the Apple haters who insisted that it would be a failure because of the name.

What's in a name?

I know you're talking about "the new iPad" name used for (who would've guessed?) the new iPad, but just for kicks...

Macrumos forum member nails "iPad" in 2003:
http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/commen..._ipad_in_2003/

Here's an earlier and better prediction from 2003:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...C/t-23590.html

Here's someone else from August of last year writing about those 2003 predictions:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ight=macquest+

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple says new iPad response is "off the charts," preorders sold out