or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad

Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 133
I have yet to see any of those advocating for a 7 inch iPad address the issue of app sizes.

It's hard enough to get developers to make TWO versions of their apps, let alone THREE. iPhone apps would be huge on a 7 inch iPad, but is that magnification useful enough for consumers to want it? iPad apps would be small to the point where many couldn't be used on a smaller screen.
post #82 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I have yet to see any of those advocating for a 7 inch iPad address the issue of app sizes.

It's hard enough to get developers to make TWO versions of their apps, let alone THREE. iPhone apps would be huge on a 7 inch iPad, but is that magnification useful enough for consumers to want it? iPad apps would be small to the point where many couldn't be used on a smaller screen.

But if it uses the 1024x768 display it'll scale perfectly¡

Seriously though, what you've written is exactly what Jobs was talking about when he alluded to the issue with current 7" tablets. You have to make the UI idealized for the display. The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet do this well because as of right now they have a single UI designed specifically for the display size and aspect ratio.

This isn't something Apple can't tackle (and they probably have the HW and SW in their labs) but whether it's something they want to release because of its inherent issues.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #83 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

DigiTimes

That is all.

"In the six months this report covers, Digitimes is listed as the source of 13 provable rumors. They have a perfect record of 0 for 13. Keep that in mind next time anyone reports, "according to Digitimes...""

http://stupidapplerumors.com/news/20...h-rumor-report
post #84 of 133
Quote:

We're not advocating for a 7" tablet we're advocating for a 7.85" tablet with the same resolution as the first and second gen iPads which means no app modifications need to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

"In the six months this report covers, Digitimes is listed as the source of 13 provable rumors. They have a perfect record of 0 for 13. Keep that in mind next time anyone reports, "according to Digitimes...""

http://stupidapplerumors.com/news/20...h-rumor-report

This isn't coming from Digitimes. The article says it's from a vendor in Apple's supply chain.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #85 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But if it uses the 1024x768 display it'll scale perfectly¡

Seriously though, what you've written is exactly what Jobs was talking about when he alluded to the issue with current 7" tablets. You have to make the UI idealized for the display. The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet do this well because as of right now they have a single UI designed specifically for the display size and aspect ratio.

This isn't something Apple can't tackle (and they probably have the HW and SW in their labs) but whether it's something they want to release because of its inherent issues.

There is no reason that a 7" iPad can't actually use the iPhone resolutions and scaling. 640x960 won't be awesome but not bad either.

1280x1920 would be pretty awesome though.
post #86 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

We're not advocating for a 7" tablet we're advocating for a 7.85" tablet with the same resolution as the first and second gen iPads which means no app modifications need to be done.

I'm not sure I'd like to use an iPad app on something smaller than the iPad unless the actual usable screen size isn't that much smaller.

Quote:

This isn't coming from Digitimes. The article says it's from a vendor in Apple's supply chain.

According to Digitimes it came from someone in Apple's supply chain. You're better off looking for credible intel in the bars where Apple engineers seem to lose prototypes.
post #87 of 133
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd like to use an iPad app on something smaller than the iPad unless the actual usable screen size isn't that much smaller.

According to Digitimes it came from someone in Apple's supply chain. You're better off looking for credible intel in the bars where Apple engineers seem to lose prototypes.

Aye but the Wall Street Journal's record of late has been pretty good

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...104574994.html

They are saying that testing is going on and Samsung Securities leaked documents also point towards the possible entry of a smaller form factor iPad.

In these situations I tend to apply Occam's Razor. There are multiple Macbook form factors and iMac form factors. Logical progression would apply the same benefit/detriment to the iPad line as well.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #88 of 133
Quote:

That "same resolution" means a lower dot pitch which means everything is smaller than it would be on the 10" iPad. There is no evidence that Apple would do such a thing without idealizing the UI for the device and creating an SDK and App Store specifically so apps can take full advantage of the display.

Quote:

There is no reason that a 7" iPad can't actually use the iPhone resolutions and scaling. 640x960 won't be awesome but not bad either.

1280x1920 would be pretty awesome though.

There are lots of reasons that Apple would never do that.

Take this screenshot and represent it on a Mac.

Do the size of those icons look like something Apple would do? How about if they were considerably smaller?

You can even look at Apple's Human Interface Guidelines to see that they didn't simply put 57x57px icons on the iPad from the iPhone. They have developers upload new icons that are idealized for the display. Would 57x57px work on the iPad? Sure, but it wasn't ideal.

post #89 of 133
Quote:

In these situations I tend to apply Occam's Razor. There are multiple Macbook form factors and iMac form factors. Logical progression would apply the same benefit/detriment to the iPad line as well.

And they all use a WINDOWED OS. When your display isn't just for output but also the primary input every changes.

post #90 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

This is not an iPad, this is the remote control for the Apple TV.

This may well be the explanation for these rumours. A remote wouldn't need such a complex UI as a full-blown iPad and the elements could be larger on-screen allowing for a smaller screen. It'd basically be an iPad that ran only one app - the Apple Remote app. It'd allow for controlling new Apple TV apps running on the TV itself but wouldn't have to have much RAM or flash itself (and the ATV apps themselves are likely to be simpler than most existing iOS apps with buttony UIs and many would likely be game-oriented apps requiring only a virtual game controller UI on the remote's screen).
post #91 of 133
Quote:

And they all use a WINDOWED OS. When your display isn't just for output but also the primary input every changes.

Yes but gestural interfaces somewhat ameliorate the need to hit smaller targets. Couple Apple's extensive work on multi touch UI along with dictation now presumably on all forthcoming iPad product and i'm really at a loss for why people are kvetching about screen size.

iPhoto on iOS is a nice example (well on the iPad) everything is a nice sized button to tap and much of the manipulation is done via touching screen areas and the software handles the rest.

Steve Jobs said the ideal tap target should be a minimum of 44 pixels. I'd like to know how small most of the targets would shrink to on a mini and how easily it would be for developers to increase the target size.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #92 of 133
Quote:

Yes but gestural interfaces somewhat ameliorate the need to hit smaller targets. Couple Apple's extensive work on multi touch UI along with dictation now presumably on all forthcoming iPad product and i'm really at a loss for why people are kvetching about screen size.

iPhoto on iOS is a nice example (well on the iPad) everything is a nice sized button to tap and much of the manipulation is done via touching screen areas and the software handles the rest.

Steve Jobs said the ideal tap target should be a minimum of 44 pixels. I'd like to know how small most of the targets would shrink to on a mini and how easily it would be for developers to increase the target size.

1) People are kvetching because, as shown above, you can't just expand and shrink a non-windowed OS and expect to get the same user experience.

2) You can choose a size and resolution to find out the pixel density. From there you can figure out how large in mm or inches the icon would be and how that compares to other icons. I've done the maths in a previous forum post.

3) 44 pixel minimum is irrelevant in and of itself to determine if it's useful. Take the 57px icons of the iPad 2 and now apply them to the iPad 3 pixel for pixel. You now icons that are 1/4 their previous size. With a 264ppi display that now makes the icon 0.216"x0.216". That's simply too small. Sure, a 7.85" 1024x768 display wouldn't be nearly as severe but I am sure it would be severe enough that Apple wouldn't just pop the iPad 1/2's UI on a smaller iPad and call it a day. And that's just the Home Screen icons. We haven't even taken into consideration all the other, and much smaller elements in apps.

post #93 of 133
Quote:

1) People are kvetching because, as shown above, you can't just expand and shrink a non-windowed OS and expect to get the same user experience.

User experience is highly subjective and often depend on the design of software. My problem is people understand what they like about the UI but that doesn't mean that's a template that's going to cover the broad range of potential uses for millions of other people.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #94 of 133
Quote:

User experience is highly subjective and often depend on the design of software. My problem is people understand what they like about the UI but that doesn't mean that's a template that's going to cover the broad range of potential uses for millions of other people.

In no way am i talking about what 'I' like. As previously noted, if the UI wasn't a big deal to Apple then they wouldn't have adjusted the icon pixels between the iPhone and iPad. I think a 0.43"x0.43" icon would have been adequate. But since when doesn't Apple ignore the UI in favour of just going with minimal adequacy?

I think it's safe to say the iPad succeeds because of the attention to detail to make the interface as ideal as possible. It was not a haphazard decision that can be spread across any number of display sizes.

post #95 of 133
Quote:

In no way am i talking about what 'I' like. As previously noted, if the UI wasn't a big deal to Apple then they wouldn't have adjusted the icon pixels between the iPhone and iPad. I think a 0.43"x0.43" icon would have been adequate. But since when doesn't Apple ignore the UI in favour of just going with minimal adequacy?

I think it's safe to say the iPad succeeds because of the attention to detail to make the interface as ideal as possible. It was not a haphazard decision that can be spread across any number of display sizes.

Agreed...i'm interested in seeing what new iOS paradigms enter the fray with iOS 6. Whatever happens with the mythical iPad mini I can tell you one thing if a mini hit before the busy shopping season it would suck the oxygen out of the room for competitors if priced sub $300.

Samsung could compete but few others would stand a chance IMO
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #96 of 133
Quote:

What are you talking about? You've seen a iPhone right, now that's tiny. The Android tablets that are 7 inch don't seem to have much of a problem nor does the Playbook. My Samsung 7.7" has a resolution of 1280 x 800 which is more then readable.

Again more guessing from the peanut gallery. Oh I have to wonder what you think is happening with the current state of apps on the new iPad 3. It has like 4 times the resolution of the iPad 2. They'll scale just fine on a 7 inch screen.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #97 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

What are you talking about? You've seen a iPhone right, now that's tiny. The Android tablets that are 7 inch don't seem to have much of a problem nor does the Playbook. My Samsung 7.7" has a resolution of 1280 x 800 which is more then readable.

Again more guessing from the peanut gallery. Oh I have to wonder what you think is happening with the current state of apps on the new iPad 3. It has like 4 times the resolution of the iPad 2. They'll scale just fine on a 7 inch screen.

You mention as positives the reasons other tablets have failed. The playbook has cost RiM billions.

Smartphone apps on 7" tablets. FAIL.
Having the same tablet UI regardless of the tablet size. FAIL.

I have no idea why you're bringing up the resolution of the iPad 3 as it's the same EXACT display size over the iPad . Apps will be represented EXACTLY the same size on any iPad.

post #98 of 133
Quote:

Agreed...i'm interested in seeing what new iOS paradigms enter the fray with iOS 6. Whatever happens with the mythical iPad mini I can tell you one thing if a mini hit before the busy shopping season it would suck the oxygen out of the room for competitors if priced sub $300.

Samsung could compete but few others would stand a chance IMO

Totally agree, even at $300 Samsung would have a hard time competing. That's kind of why I don't want Apple making a 7 inch. It would be devastating to the market if everyone just gave up. Sorry, as much as you guys like your iPads that is a world I do not want to live in.

Apple would never add phone support to their 7", Samsung does.
Apple would never add a miniSD card to their 7", Samsung does.
Apple would never add disk mounting when connected to a computer to their 7", Samsung does.
Apple would never add an active digitizer to their 7", Samsung will soon.
Apple would never add DLNA to stream videos to their 7", Samsung does.

There are plenty of reasons why we need Samsung to continue making their kick ass 7.7'' tablet. It's one of the best tablets you can buy but people would blindly buy the Apple instead without knowing all the short comings. I don't care if you agree but if you had one you would completely agree.

Apple could ruin that for me. Please keep to your end of the market Apple nothing to see down here.
post #99 of 133
Quote:

You mention as positives the reasons other tablets have failed. The playbook has cost RiM billions.

Smartphone apps on 7" tablets. FAIL.
Having the same tablet UI regardless of the tablet size. FAIL.

I have no idea why you're bringing up the resolution of the iPad 3 as it's the same EXACT display size over the iPad . Apps will be represented EXACTLY the same size on any iPad.

What are talking about, the guy I was replying to was saying that a iPad 7" would be to small to read. I just said that if other manufactures can produce a 7" tablet that is readable so can Apple. Nothing about RIM being better or anything like that. Read before write please.

Oh and yes the iPad has the same exact resolution that was my point again please read before replying.
post #100 of 133
Quote:

What are talking about, the guy I was replying to was saying that a iPad 7" would be to small to read. I just said that if other manufactures can produce a 7" tablet that is readable so can Apple. Nothing about RIM being better or anything like that. Read before write please.

Then it makes no sense to bring it up because Apple makes the iPhone and Touch which have 1/8th the display size and are perfectly fine to read on.

It was your last sentence after your talking about 10" iPad resolutions that made me think you were talking about scaling the 10" iPad UI to 7" and thinking that would be ideal for Apple to do. You did write, "They'll scale just fine on a 7 inch screen." Everything you wrote made me think you were talking about scaling apps from a 10" to a 7" display, not that Apple could make a display with a new UI that is readable.

post #101 of 133
Quote:

Then it makes no sense to bring it up because Apple makes the iPhone and Touch which have 1/8th the display size and are perfectly fine to read on.

It was your last sentence after your talking about 10" iPad resolutions that made me think you were talking about scaling the 10" iPad UI to 7" and thinking that would be ideal for Apple to do. You did write, "They'll scale just fine on a 7 inch screen." Everything you wrote made me think you were talking about scaling apps from a 10" to a 7" display, not that Apple could make a display with a new UI that is readable.

Again what are you talking about, my head is spinning. It doesn't matter what size the damn screen is after 3.5 " inches because we know it's going to look good. Please read the guys post I replied to. He was talking about new interfaces and crap like that, I just said if other manufactures can produce 7" inch tablets that are readable then it stands to reason that Apple could make it if not better.

Oh i see now, no that wasn't me who wrote. please read the poster name again.
post #102 of 133
Quote:

Again what are you talking about, my head is spinning. It doesn't matter what size the damn screen is after 3.5 " inches because we know it's going to look good. Please read the guys post I replied to. He was talking about new interfaces and crap like that, I just said if other manufactures can produce 7" inch tablets that are readable then it stands to reason that Apple could make it if not better.

1) His point is perfectly clear. A new display size on a touchscreen OS means a new UI which means a new SDK.

2) You are the one that talking about resolutions and crap that make no sense to his comment.

3) Yes, the display size after 3.5" does matter. It's why the iPhone UI wasn't brought to the iPad the way it was with Moto's lame attempts to get an Android based tablet on the market. The iPad uses CocoaTouch just like the iPhone but the UI was designed from the ground up to be ideal for the display size and aspect ratio.

4) Again, you can't just scale a 10" touchscreen UI to 7" and have it be just as functional. Let me remind you again, you wrote, "They'll scale just fine on a 7 inch screen." I can't see of any other way to take that comment.

post #103 of 133
Quote:

1) you can't just scale a 10" touchscreen UI to 7" and have it be just as functional.

Sure you can. Most things on my iPad are too big. Huge keyboard, giant icons, large spaces between elements, etc. Scaled down to 7", they'd be just about perfect. The size and functionality of my 7" Android tablet pretty much IS perfect except for the fact that I have to use Android when I'd rather be using iOS.

My only worry about the current rumours is the constant mention of 7.85" rather than 7.0". I want it no larger than 7". Going from 9.7" to 7.85" isn't a big enough difference in size to bother.
post #104 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Sure you can. Most things on my iPad are too big. Huge keyboard, giant icons, large spaces between elements, etc. Scaled down to 7", they'd be just about perfect. The size and functionality of my 7" Android tablet pretty much IS perfect except for the fact that I have to use Android when I'd rather be using iOS.

My only worry about the current rumours is the constant mention of 7.85" rather than 7.0". I want it no larger than 7". Going from 9.7" to 7.85" isn't a big enough difference in size to bother.

it's simply not going to happen. Some things won't take much effort at all, like the keyboard, because the goal is to make it reach the width of the display but other things won't scale well, like making the relative spacing between the icons scale down. As you get to a smaller touchscreen display you don't have to space them as far apart relative to their size to prevent clutter.

Look at the iPhone's keyboard compared to iPad. They didn't just scale that up to 8x the size; they redesigned it for make it ideal for the primary I/O. Look at the icon size to spacing ratio between the iPhone and iPad, again, they didn't just scale them up as it would look cluttered.

Apple can make a 7" 3:2, 7.85" 4:3 , 7.938297492973" 16:10 and any other size tablet display they want but any shipping product will have the CocoaTouch UI design to make the most for that display.

I fell like I'm talking with people that have never heard of Apple before. This is their rule, not their exception.

post #105 of 133
Quote:

it's simply not going to happen. Some things won't take much effort at all, like the keyboard, because the goal is to make it reach the width of the display but other things won't scale well, like making the relative spacing between the icons scale down. As you get to a smaller touchscreen display you don't have to space them as far apart relative to their size to prevent clutter.

Look at the iPhone's keyboard compared to iPad. They didn't just scale that up to 8x the size; they redesigned it for make it ideal for the primary I/O. Look at the icon size to spacing ratio between the iPhone and iPad, again, they didn't just scale them up as it would look cluttered.

Apple can make a 7" 3:2, 7.85" 4:3 , 7.938297492973" 16:10 and any other size tablet display they want but any shipping product will have the CocoaTouch UI design to make the most for that display.

I fell like I'm talking with people that have never heard of Apple before. This is their rule, not their exception.

Okay Apple won't make a 7" because it won't look good, yay for me. I really don't want to see Apple in this market anyway. It seems like this is the only place where real competition is taking place anyway. We now have such devices like the Samsung 7.7 which I got to tell is one incredible piece of tech. Then there is my little Nook tablet which is one of the most enjoyable toys I own to hack, I have a running version of Ubuntu 11.04 on it, so cool.

So let it be that Steve Jobs doesn't want Apple to make a 7". I think it's best for all party's.
post #106 of 133
Quote:

Okay Apple won't make a 7" because it won't look good, yay for me. I really don't want to see Apple in this market anyway. It seems like this is the only place where real competition is taking place anyway. We now have such devices like the Samsung 7.7 which I got to tell is one incredible piece of tech. Then there is my little Nook tablet which is one of the most enjoyable toys I own to hack, I have a running version of Ubuntu 11.04 on it, so cool.

So let it be that Steve Jobs doesn't want Apple to make a 7". I think it's best for all party's.

I never said Apple won't make a 7" tablet. Amazon and B&N make 7" tablet-esque devices as well as 6" eReaders that are perfectly usable... but their UIs were designed for their display sizes.

post #107 of 133
Quote:

I never said Apple won't make a 7" tablet.

Damn! There goes the neighborhood.
post #108 of 133
Quote:

This isn't a windowed OS. If you go with a new UI that have the size you have adjust all the elements. Scaling down to smaller icons and buttons on a touchscreen isn't going to work. This is what Jobs had an issue with. Tablets were hitting the market with the same UI for a 7" and 10" tablet. He said that the current 7" were DOA... he was right.

You've hit on a major marketing issue.

i've resized all my icons with one application (shrink) from cydia
so this is no monumental task
i mean for all the games designed for 1024x768
they will work well on the 7-8" ipad
and its not like apple works hard when they release a new resolution
the standard ipad has sooo much space between the icons
whats the point of a high resolution when you don't use it?
that's why the first 2 cydia apps i install are shrunk and iconoclasm
so i can fit 5x5 icons plus the dock
and i shrink my icons to 85%
looks great
post #109 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

and its not like apple works hard when they release a new resolution

Quote:
the standard ipad has sooo much space between the icons
whats the point of a high resolution when you don't use it?

What's the point of not cluttering up the entire display with icons to the point it's unusable? Gee, I wonder.

Quote:
and i shrink my icons to 85%
looks great

I would love to see a screenshot of your iPad's display with icons scaled down by 85% and spaced close together. What can you get, about 100 icons per Home Screen?

post #110 of 133
Quote:

I never said Apple won't make a 7" tablet. Amazon and B&N make 7" tablet-esque devices as well as 6" eReaders that are perfectly usable... but their UIs were designed for their display sizes.

Have you ever played around with the Nook tablet? Isn't it such a nice little device for 250 bucks. I mean you get a dual core cpu with 1GB RAM and 16GB of storage with a MiniSD card slot. Install ICS 4.03 on it and you have yourself one heck of a fun toy. It's very thin, attractive and light.

I bought a bunch of them for my family last year as holiday gifts. My Mom who doesn't really like computers loved it so much we just updated her to the Xoom 2 Media Edition 8.2" for her birthday. I just love tablets, we bought her a Macbook Air last year but she never used it. I was so mad to I spent forever trying to teach her how to use but the tablet she picked up very quick.

Oh sorry the reason for the story the iPad was to big for her she wanted something that fit in her purse. So the Nook and now Media Pad are the perfect size. Plus teaching her how to transfer her music and video with the iPad would have been a nightmare. This way she plugs the Motorola into my Dads iMac, it mounts it self as drive and she simply drags the movies and music she wants over to the Mototrola. Easy peasy no fuss and it works for her. I also got her addicted to torrents now which makes me the worst daughter in history.
post #111 of 133
Quote:

Have you ever played around with the Nook tablet? Isn't it such a nice little device for 250 bucks. I mean you get a dual core cpu with 1GB RAM and 16GB of storage with a MiniSD card slot. Install ICS 4.03 on it and you have yourself one heck of a fun toy. It's very thin, attractive and light.

They are $199 now. I am not familiar with any Nook Tablets that had 1GB RAM and 16GB storage. But yes, for the money I think they are quite good at what they do.

post #112 of 133
Quote:

They are $199 now. I am not familiar with any Nook Tablets that had 1GB RAM and 16GB storage. But yes, for the money I think they are quite good at what they do.

Yeah their 200 for the 8GB and still 250 for the 16GB. I gave them to my family already flashed with with a full version of Android on them so it was pretty much a fully functional tablet without the camera of course. That was a fun filled Saturday, flashing 6 tablets.
post #113 of 133
Sure the iPad is superior in a lot of ways but I have to say Android is a pretty versatile and powerful OS as well. Especially their new version 4.03, it's really quick on very tamed hardware. I especially like the codec support and the ability to mount pretty much every network drive that is available including ones that need VPN. All out of the box mind you.

The level of customization, widgets, a file manager that can access the entire drive, the ability to mount its self as a drive on any computer via USB, full Samba support to access Windows networks. Sorry to go on but the OS is free and open sourced and defiantly gives iOS a run for it's money. No, they don't look anything alike for those who are thinking well yeah Google just copied Apple. I'm looking at both systems right now and the only similarity I can find is on iOS's notification system.

I just love tablets and can't wait to see what Window 8 for ARM brings us.
post #114 of 133
Quote:

Sure the iPad is superior in a lot of ways but I have to say Android is a pretty versatile and powerful OS as well.

Anyone that doesn't thing Android is a powerful and/or versatile OS doesn't know what they are talking about. That said, being a powerful and being versatile OS doesn't automatically make an ideal OS for CE. Their attention to detail with the HW and their attention to detail in the OS to make it work well with the HW, and work well to tie their devices together as well as a strong content ecosystem. It's no longer about individual aspects but multiple aspects all working together to make the user experience as seamless as possible. This is why Apple dominates the profits in PC, PMP, handset and tablet markets.

post #115 of 133
Anybody who thinks Solipsism is talking crap need only run the simulator and hit Cmd-2 - to show the iPad at 75%. The icons are fine, the spacing is large, the text is readable.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #116 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Anybody who thinks Solipsism is talking crap need only run the simulator and hit Cmd-2 - to show the iPad at 75%. The icons are fine, the spacing is large, the text is readable.

How does one read "not ideal for Apple attention to detail" and thing it means "not readable"?

I'll make a bet with you If Apple releases a 7.x" iPad WITHOUT idealizing the UI for the display then I'll buy you one. If Apple does release a 7.x" iPad WITH an idealized UI for the display you buy me one.

post #117 of 133
Quote:

I'll make a bet with you If Apple releases a 7.x" iPad WITHOUT idealizing the UI for the display then I'll buy you one. If Apple does release a 7.x" iPad WITH an idealized UI for the display you buy me one.

That's one bet you won't lose.

Tell you guys what, I'll hold your money in escrow. If Apple never makes a 7" iPad, I'll buy myself a regular one!

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #118 of 133
Quote:

What's the point of not cluttering up the entire display with icons to the point it's unusable? Gee, I wonder.

I would love to see a screenshot of your iPad's display with icons scaled down by 85% and spaced close together. What can you get, about 100 icons per Home Screen?

Sorry
They are reduced by 90%
85% is what I use on my iPhone

Here is a screenshot
It's not crazy busy
I think it looks good, suits the size of the iPad screen better

post #119 of 133
Quote:

That's what Apple charges for an 8GB iPod Touch with a 3.5" TN panel and a lot less HW features than the iPad.

I know- I said to replace the touch.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #120 of 133
I have a honest question, say I have neighbor who has 6+ TB of movies and music on a computer that he's collected over a a long period of time. The media is a mixture of different codecs just like most peoples questionable collections. Which platform would you recommend as a first time tablet buyer who wants to play all his media. A iPad or a popular Android tablet, The user has never used either platform.

There's no wrong answers here just want to know which tablet would you suggest.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple rumored to use 'slim bezel display' for 7.85-inch iPad