or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › HBO agrees to allow Universal, Fox movies on Apple's iCloud

HBO agrees to allow Universal, Fox movies on Apple's iCloud

post #1 of 57
Premium cable network HBO has agreed to relax its terms from contracts with Universal and Fox and allow the studios to make their movies available for download on Apple's iCloud.

Last week, Apple began offering users the ability to re-download movies that were previously purchased on iTunes via its iCloud service. But major studios Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox were noticeably absent because of a prior arrangement with HBO.

HBO, however, has agreed to loosen its agreements with Universal and Fox, which will allow their movies to become available on iCloud, according to The Wall Street Journal. The cable network has already revised its terms with Warner Bros., and its content is already available for users on iCloud.

Though it will allow the content to be re-downloaded through iCloud, HBO will not give up its exclusive rights to broadcast movies during a "window" after the film is released. The window is typically about six months after a movie is released on DVD, and lasts about a year.

Under the current terms, if Universal and Fox were to allow an iCloud user who purchased a movie through iTunes to re-download and watch it on a device like an iPhone or iPad, it would be in violation of HBO's exclusive rights.

But a spokesman for HBO confirmed that HBO will agree to allow users of iCloud, as well as other services, to download movies they already own on other devices. With iCloud, a user can re-download a movie, TV show or song to a device like an iPhone or iPad without re-syncing it to a Mac or PC and transferring the copyrighted file that was originally downloaded.

"Fox expects to resolve the issue as soon as within weeks, said a person familiar with the situation," the Journal reported. "Another person is familiar with the matter said Universal is near a resolution."

The iTunes in the Cloud functionality within iCloud originally only applied to music, books and applications purchased through the iTunes Store. Now, users can access both movies and TV shows as well. The service even applies to the iTunes Digital Copy format, which gives users the ability to download a digital version of a film when they buy a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 57
Just get rid of the stupid movie posters taking up half the screen, get rid of the Computers button and just put my stuff in the categories where it actually belongs, and let me have NAS-on-the-network support natively and I would love this interface to death. Sure, it's no proper iOS-looking interface, but still.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 57
The dyke begins to crack ...
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just get rid of the stupid movie posters taking up half the screen, get rid of the Computers button and just put my stuff in the categories where it actually belongs, and let me have NAS-on-the-network support natively and I would love this interface to death. Sure, it's no proper iOS-looking interface, but still.

Oh I don't know ... you can easily scroll down. Seeing the large pics at the top is kind of nice I think, nostalgic reminder of going to the DVD store last century and seeing all the boxes.
post #5 of 57
I had a feeling they would work out something like this.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #6 of 57
Quote:

Just… get rid of the stupid movie posters taking up half the screen, get rid of the Computers button and just put my stuff in the categories where it actually belongs, and let me have NAS-on-the-network support natively and I would love this interface to death. Sure, it's no proper iOS-looking interface, but still.

I quite like the interface and the large posters up top which change for each selection. (TV, Music, etc.)
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The dyke begins to crack ...

That HAD to be a misspelling because it makes no sense even as a bad pun.
post #8 of 57
So what does this mean going forward, using Game Change as an example?
That it will still be six months ( or a year?) until its available on iTunes.

Frankly, I think yesterday's article about CBS dismissing Steve's proposals was incredibly telling. These guys are going to cling to their 'existing cash flow' model until piracy puts them in the same hole the record industry was.

Yes, they have to protect their IP. But no, their current insistence on sticking with an antiquated distribution model is not the way to do it.
post #9 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyke

Maybe it's one of those flexible uses of English like using 'but' after a period?

Quote:

Yes, they have to protect their IP. But no, their current insistence on sticking with an antiquated distribution model is not the way to do it.
post #10 of 57
Quote:

Wow! One certainly learns something every day!
Tks! 😱
post #11 of 57
Not trying to be too much of a stickler here, but, Shouldn't this article read, "....iTunes in the Cloud" and NOT iCloud? Granted they are both from Apple, but doesen't iCloud only mean the 5gb of space (to start) for Contacts, Mail, Docs, and Apps? A casual user would read this article and come away with the impression that they can use iCloud to redownload movies and music, when in fact, you have to use "iTunes In the Cloud", to redownload movies and music....right? or am I looking way to deep into this?

Maybe i am silly, but I first read the headline and was thinking they were allowing a music match type upload to the cloud....not a re-download of already purchased items, from iTunes in the Cloud.
post #12 of 57
Quote:

Wow! One certainly learns something every day!
Tks! 😱

No probs
post #13 of 57
Quote:

The UI is fine. Safe to say that Apple knows how to design a UI better than a @#%&@# forum poster.
post #14 of 57
Quote:

Maybe it's one of those flexible uses of English like using 'but' after a period?

I'm not sure what that means, but I'd bet its a British/American thing.

(They spell it "tyre" over there too!)
post #15 of 57
Quote:

Oh I don't know ... you can easily scroll down. Seeing the large pics at the top is kind of nice I think, nostalgic reminder of going to the DVD store last century and seeing all the boxes.

Yeah, and like the DVD store this is a store and as such marketing is required. Just like in iTunes and the App Stores.
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

e.g.
For those who could learn from the subtlety of your response...

"I'm not sure what that means. But I'd bet its a British/American thing."
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Hence 'flexible'.

p.s. I am British / American.
post #18 of 57
Quote:

e.g.
For those who could learn from the subtlety of your response...

"I'm not sure what that means. But I'd bet its a British/American thing."

post #19 of 57
Am I(outside of Apple)) the only one who likes the new UI? I think it's awesome.
post #20 of 57
HBO2GO..... paging HBO2GO......

As a side note- whether it be through the recent iTunes update or the new ATV update, my ATV2 responds much quicker at streaming movies from my iTunes Library and it loads much faster. After the last Airport update, it made everything much slower on my ATV (faster on my iPhone), but the update seems to have made it even quicker.

The only thing I don't like about the new interface are the color combos (I like Apples monotone steel blues and greys they use on the Mac and iPhone much better. More industrial looking. The new XBox UI is pretty nice- I do have to admit. Apple also could have condensed the icons to make them more square (a la iPad/iPhone), and combined all the sports into a "Sports" icon, and we could have had everything on one screen without any scrolling (and they could keep the big movie posters). But I'm sure this UI will evolve and allow us to make our own folders, etc. as Apps come about. You can see this is obviously where the UI is headed.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmsngr View Post

Not trying to be too much of a stickler here, but, Shouldn't this article read, "....iTunes in the Cloud" and NOT iCloud? Granted they are both from Apple, but doesen't iCloud only mean the 5gb of space (to start) for Contacts, Mail, Docs, and Apps? A casual user would read this article and come away with the impression that they can use iCloud to redownload movies and music, when in fact, you have to use "iTunes In the Cloud", to redownload movies and music....right? or am I looking way to deep into this?

Maybe i am silly, but I first read the headline and was thinking they were allowing a music match type upload to the cloud....not a re-download of already purchased items, from iTunes in the Cloud.

To my understanding, iTunes in the Cloud is simply one part of iCloud, not its own separate thing. If you look on Apple's iCloud homepage, iTunes in the Cloud is one of the 8 "tent-pole" features of iCloud: http://www.apple.com/iphone/icloud/
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Am I(outside of Apple)) the only one who likes the new UI? I think it's awesome.

It's different, and people typically hate different things, just like when Facebook updates things on their page. I quite like it myself, but I also like Lion better than Snow Leopard, so maybe I'm just not afraid to try new things.
post #23 of 57
Quote:

Maybe I'm too old to understand this but I don't see a pun. What pun are you talking about? A Dyke in this context means levee or wall. So I see no pun in it cracking. Even with the slang term meaning lesbian I still see no pun between the two usages.

Why don't you guys let this old timer in on the joke, if there is one.
post #24 of 57
The ability to redownload will increase sales.
There were definitely hold-outs to music purchases until they were rid of DRM and allowed redownload.
This is the direction Jobs worked toward from the start.
post #25 of 57
I finally got HBO2GO and MAX2GO for my Macs and iDevices recently. It took them long enough.

I have to say that it's pretty nice. HBO has a lot of really good series and to have all of the series available for streaming is pretty nice.

I was recently watching The Wire. I never saw that series when it was first released. It was practically made for the iPad, as it is a perfect fit, 4:3.
post #26 of 57
Quote:

I like it too. The posters mimic a movie theater wall and this is a movie store etc. You can scroll pretty easily. The tiles are better. I don't know yet if you can manage which tile are there but I'm sure there will be way, particularly if you're not into sports and want to remove them.
post #27 of 57
Quote:

Hence 'flexible'.

p.s. I am British / American.

You guys are sylly.

Quote:

I think it's the best TV UI yet but I would like to remove and reorganize the tiles.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #28 of 57
I'm OK with the look of the interface, but I sure wish they would do something about the NetFlix streaming issue. NetFlix streaming works fine with my wireless Blu-Ray, but with the Apple TV box, it's terrible...almost constant buffering.
post #29 of 57
It's about time, because if they don't make them more easily obtainable people will just get them where they are easily obtainable and the studios will get nothing for the transaction.
post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt View Post

I'm OK with the look of the interface, but I sure wish they would do something about the NetFlix streaming issue. NetFlix streaming works fine with my wireless Blu-Ray, but with the Apple TV box, it's terrible...almost constant buffering.

I'm OK with the interface, too. I hope that in a future iteration we will be able to mirror the aTV on an iPad (an App) and re-arrange apps 'normal' IOS style. The apps I don't use such as the NBA I'd like to hide or get rid of. If my TV navigation experience was customizable similarly to my iPhone and iPad experiences I'd be very happy.
post #31 of 57
I don't think it is going to be piracy that is going to force the change. What can and will do it is new content through new channels. What am I going to watch while I wait 6 months for HBO to release a movie to streaming? I will watch something. Since I only spend a limited amount of time watching TV then I end up watching what is available. If you wait until all the promotion for a movie is over why would I think to watch it. I am not going to spend my time reviewing trailers. The easier they make it to watch something the more people will watch it. IOS Apps are a perfect example of how you can charge less than the desktop version and still make a boatload of money because you sell so many more copies. Release movies to streaming the same day they release to theaters. Start with a rental cost of $20. Drop to $4.99 when the DVD releases and then eventually get to $1.00. I am always intrigued on why or how Apple will rent you a movie for $2.99 that you can get for free on Netflix. Are people really that ignornat?
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Maybe I'm too old to understand this but I don't see a pun. What pun are you talking about? A Dyke in this context means levee or wall. So I see no pun in it cracking. Even with the slang term meaning lesbian I still see no pun between the two usages.

Why don't you guys let this old timer in on the joke, if there is one.

There isn't one. I think the word 'dyke' as in 'lesbian' and 'crack' as in some kind of anatomical orifice triggered something in someone that had to share. A pun would be so tenuous that it would be too embarrassing to try to figure out, let alone explain.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I finally got HBO2GO and MAX2GO for my Macs and iDevices recently. It took them long enough.

I have to say that it's pretty nice. HBO has a lot of really good series and to have all of the series available for streaming is pretty nice.

I was recently watching The Wire. I never saw that series when it was first released. It was practically made for the iPad, as it is a perfect fit, 4:3.

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider. I'd sign up in a flash if they dumped that requirement and allowed me to sign up for streaming only. I absolutely refuse to give my cable provider another nickel until they allow Ã* la carte programming.
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider.

Yeah, that's true. The only reason that I still have cable is because there's a couple of shows that my gf likes to watch. Otherwise I would have dumped it a while ago.
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Debatably the best TV Series I've ever seen. At the very least top 3. Casting could not have possibly been any better. Avon, Stringer, Omar, McNulty, etc. are perfect.

post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Debatably the best TV Series I've ever seen. At the very least top 3. Casting could not have possibly been any better. Avon, Stringer, Omar, McNulty, etc. are perfect.

I agree. I'm on the last season right now. And it's definitely one of the best series that I've ever seen too.
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Except that it STILL requires you to have a subscription through a cable provider. I'd sign up in a flash if they dumped that requirement and allowed me to sign up for streaming only. I absolutely refuse to give my cable provider another nickel until they allow Ã* la carte programming.

The a la carte plan is sometimes referred to as the Platinum Plan. You pay $150 a month and then you pick any of the channels you want for no additional fee along with complementary Internet. </s>

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The a la carte plan is sometimes referred to as the Platinum Plan. You pay $150 a month and then you pick any of the channels you want for no additional fee along with complementary Internet.

150 per month! Thats $1800 per year. You could buy a fair few seasons of content on iTunes for that.
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

150 per month! Thats $1800 per year. You could buy a fair few seasons of content on iTunes for that.

People don't think like that. "Only $X/month" is how people think. If people thought about the annual cost, then they'd toss $350 minimum on top of every 3G/4G iPad annually.

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Oops! forgot </s>

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iCloud
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iCloud › HBO agrees to allow Universal, Fox movies on Apple's iCloud