or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Safari 5.1.4 with up to 11% faster JavaScript performance

Apple releases Safari 5.1.4 with up to 11% faster JavaScript performance

post #1 of 39
Apple on Monday released a maitenance and security update for its Safari Web browser that promises up to an 11 percent Javascript performance boost over the previous version, in addition to delivery roughly a dozen other enhancements.

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion, includes changes that:

Improve JavaScript performance up to 11% over Safari 5.1.3

Improve responsiveness when typing into the search field after changing network configurations, or with an intermittent network connection

Address an issue that could cause webpages to flash white when switching between Safari windows

Address issues that prevented printing U.S. Postal Service shipping labels and embedded PDFs

Preserve links in PDFs saved from webpages

Fix an issue that could make Flash content appear incomplete after using gesture zooming

Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video

Improve stability, compatibility, and startup time when using extensions

Allow cookies set during regular browsing to be available after using Private Browsing

Fix an issue that could cause some data to be left behind after pressing the “Remove All Website Data” button

Apple says JavaScript performance testing was conducted in January 2012 on a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5-based iMac 21.5-inch system using OS X Lion v10.7.3 and configured with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512 MB of VRAM. JavaScript benchmarks are based on SunSpider 0.9.1.

The last update to Safari came in February in the form of Safari 5.1.3. It came bundled with the OS X 10.7.3 update Apple released for Lion.

While Monday's update is an incremental update, more significant changes to the Web browser are coming later this year with the launch of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Safari 5.2 for Mountain Lion will sport a simplified user interface that has unified search, as well as new sharing features that make it easy to send links via the Messages application or post them on Twitter.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 39
Love Safari updates! Keep em' coming Apple
post #3 of 39
Already downloaded and installed. Works fine.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #4 of 39
It just showed up in Software Update for my 32-bit Snow Leopard
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion, includes changes that:

Not true. I'm on Snow Leopard still and I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I'm on 5.1.4 right now.
post #6 of 39
Safari 5.1.4 also available for Windows.
post #7 of 39
Quote:
The Safari 5.1.4 update, available exclusively for Macs running Mac OS X Lion

I'm just sayin' don't forget that Windows thing... got to represent
post #8 of 39
Not happy Apple is moving to a non-RSS browser in Safari 5.2. I find the RSS feeds invaluable for quickly sifting through an articles list. The alternative will be accessing RSS feeds outside of Safari. That seems so un-Apple like.
post #9 of 39
Who is going to say it first ....?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

is...

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #11 of 39
Just updated safari and efi update too, and now scrolling is horribly jerky. It was perfectly smooth previously. I'm on a 2011 i5 11.6" Air.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Just updated safari and efi update too, and now scrolling is horribly jerky. It was perfectly smooth previously. I'm on a 2011 i5 11.6" Air.

Perhaps a restart will help.
post #13 of 39
Quote:

I'd say that Safari's a lot snappier, but I've been on 5.2 for a while now, so my comment on the matter doesn't apply here.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Perhaps a restart will help.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it's still the same. I'll just scroll slower until there's a fix sometime down the road. On this site it's not bad but on several other sites it is. I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.
post #15 of 39
Quote:

Apple on Monday released a maitenance and security update for its Safari Web browser that promises up to an 11 percent Javascript performance boost over the previous version, in addition to delivery roughly a dozen other enhancements.

"Promised?" Have you tested it? Or are you just regurgitating another press release? Have you considered "Apple Outsider: all the press releases fit to repeat" as a name?

Is repeating unverified information really all that useful a thing to do?
post #16 of 39
Quote:

But is it peppier?

Wait, I feel like I got that wrong...
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd say that Safari's a lot snappier, but I've been on 5.2 for a while now, so my comment on the matter doesn't apply here.

Actually your comment serves to clarify that you either:

1. Did not read the NDA you agreed to.
or
2. You willfully disregard the NDA you agreed to.

I realize you did not go into much detail but I suspect the NDA still clearly states that you are not allowed to mention anything about developer pre-release software, even its existence. Oh wait, you are an AI moderator. That explains it.

post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

or

I realize you did not go into much detail but I suspect the NDA still clearly states that you are not allowed to mention anything about developer pre-release software, even its existence. Oh wait, you are an AI moderator. That explains it.

You realize this site itself blatantly ignores that, right? Nearly every single outlet ignores it. There's stuff leaked everywhere.

Why the frick can't I even say the words "Safari 5.2" without retribution?

post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

But is it peppier?

Wait, I feel like I got that wrong...

I like that ...
post #20 of 39
Quote:

You realize this site itself blatantly ignores that, right? Nearly every single outlet ignores it. There's stuff leaked everywhere.

Why the frick can't I even say the words "Safari 5.2" without retribution?

Didn't your mother ever say to you "…but just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean you have to do it. If everyone else were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?"

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"Promised?" Have you tested it? Or are you just regurgitating another press release? Have you considered "Apple Outsider: all the press releases fit to repeat" as a name?

Is repeating unverified information really all that useful a thing to do?

I didn't run any benchmarks on my Mac Book Pro before upgrading and can't find anything comparable. If anyone has any earlier benchmarks, they can compare the following:

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core2Duo 3 GB RAM
Safari 5.1.4
Sunspider 0.9 369 ms
Sunspider 0.9.1 340 ms

V8 (Version 6) 3496
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 39
Quote:

Didn't your mother ever say to you "…but just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean you have to do it. If everyone else were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?"

If I were, say, leaking a new unreleased product or showing people source code, of course that applies.

post #23 of 39
Quote:

Improve JavaScript performance up to 11% over Safari 5.1.3

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Hi,

I upgraded to the new version of Safari and I can no longer access Gmail. While I see the side bar and main body of messages never loads.

Any thoughts? Do i need to go back to the older version?
post #24 of 39
Quote:

If I were, say, leaking a new unreleased product or showing people source code, of course that applies.

That is how it works now-a-days, people maintain a selective interpretation of the law and giving one's word.

I wasn't breaking the law I was only speeding and I didn't even hurt anyone.

post #25 of 39
Quote:

That is how it works now-a-days, people maintain a selective interpretation of the law and giving one's word.

I wasn't breaking the law I was only speeding and I didn't even hurt anyone.

Shouldn't your complaint be taken up with AI, then, as they've done several articles on Mountain Lion that revealed far more than the version number of a single application.

post #26 of 39
Quote:

Shouldn't your complaint be taken up with AI, then, as they've done several articles on Mountain Lion that revealed far more than the version number of a single application.

If you refer to my first statement you may be able to infer a subtle jab at AI. If not, refer to statement 2 where I reminded of your mother's likely admonishment.

post #27 of 39
I just upgraded. Safari is fast as hell and very responsive. I can't wait for 5.2 to come out. It's going to scream

I'd like to see Apple have the fastest, minimalist, AND most privacy-friendly browser on the planet. Privacy is a key differentiator vs. Google

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #28 of 39
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried that and it's still the same. I'll just scroll slower until there's a fix sometime down the road. On this site it's not bad but on several other sites it is. I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.

The Telegraph has had a black background "bars" down the side of the main pages since they introduced an updated website some 12 months or so ago.
post #29 of 39
After upgrading I'm encountering an odd issue where some text on some web pages increase in size (as if zoomed in once) after the page finishes loading. I encountered this once with a WebKit nightly build and ditched it. Guess I'll have to figure it out this time...

Is anyone familiar with this odd problem?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #30 of 39
Quote:

or

If you don't like NDA violations, WHY ARE YOU HERE?!!???

This site is called AppleInsider. It's SUPPOSED to have information that is unreleased. That's why I read it, I want the scoop on what's coming, not what's already been announced.

Here's a suggestion for you. If you only want to see what's already been announced and don't want to be bothered by people talking about NDA violations, there's a perfect site for you:

http://www.apple.com/
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

If you don't like NDA violations, WHY ARE YOU HERE?!!???

This site is called AppleInsider. It's SUPPOSED to have information that is unreleased. That's why I read it, I want the scoop on what's coming, not what's already been announced.

Here's a suggestion for you. If you only want to see what's already been announced and don't want to be bothered by people talking about NDA violations, there's a perfect site for you:

http://www.apple.com/

What makes you think that the only information about unreleased products comes from NDA violations? It's entirely possible to gather information and speculate about new products without violating an NDA.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #32 of 39
Quote:

I noticed the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ ) now has black bars at the edges when before the whole page went to the edge. I've no idea what that's about.

It means it's accurately rendering the page.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's entirely possible to gather information and speculate about new products without violating an NDA.

So the DigiTimes model?
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker15 View Post

The Telegraph has had a black background "bars" down the side of the main pages since they introduced an updated website some 12 months or so ago.

That's not what I recall on Safari. It used to be plain white for me, earlier on today black, and now static horse racing photos. Maybe I just had a bad wifi connection briefly, or something.
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

After upgrading I'm encountering an odd issue where some text on some web pages increase in size (as if zoomed in once) after the page finishes loading. I encountered this once with a WebKit nightly build and ditched it. Guess I'll have to figure it out this time...

Is anyone familiar with this odd problem?

Nope, never. Do you have a website where it happens you can post to try it out?
post #36 of 39
Quote:

That's not what I recall on Safari. It used to be plain white for me, earlier on today black, and now static horse racing photos. Maybe I just had a bad wifi connection briefly, or something.

Well if it was rendering differently than you had a bug or you changed something specifically for the site. You can even check the CSS of the page to see that that's the way it's supposed to render and it does so in Safari, Chrome, Firefox and IE. To quote their CSS:

media="screen"
body, body.olympicsBody {
background: #262626 url('../i/tmglBody.gif') repeat-y center top;
color: #282828;
font-family: georgia,"times new roman",times,serif;
font-size: 62.5%;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

In the Javascript console in Chrome if I uncheck the background property it's all white. The #262626 color is a dark gray color.
post #37 of 39
Quote:

Fix an issue that could cause the screen to dim while watching HTML5 video

can anybody confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not true. I'm on Snow Leopard still and I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I'm on 5.1.4 right now.

may i ask why didn't you upgrade to Lion yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post

Not happy Apple is moving to a non-RSS browser in Safari 5.2. I find the RSS feeds invaluable for quickly sifting through an articles list. The alternative will be accessing RSS feeds outside of Safari. That seems so un-Apple like.

i have always read RSS in Mail app and i have never liked using it in safari.

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #38 of 39
Anyone else having problems with www.bing.com/maps/ in Safari 5.1.4? Zoom, controls and links for driving directions not working. Works fine in Firefox.

Edit: Found problem. Safari was locked in 32 bit mode. When I changed it to 64 bit, everything works normally. gmail wasn't displaying properly either but now that's all good too.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutykamu View Post

may i ask why didn't you upgrade to Lion yet?

I cannot talk about the other member but I can talk about myself. I upgraded to Snow Leopard just in the beginning of this year. Before taking the step to upgrade, I always prefer to wait and see if my existing software will run correctly and if X11 and associated applications are ready.

Sometimes I wait even more if there is no compelling reason to upgrade. On the positive side this gives me a more mature operating system and, hopefully, a smoother upgrade path. I just cannot afford to be with a not fully operational machine while projects are running and deadlines are nearing. So Lion will take some time before it installs to any of my machines.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Safari 5.1.4 with up to 11% faster JavaScript performance