or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro' - Page 3

post #81 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

Best post I've read so far on this subject.

"One possible scenario would be to drop the 13" pro to make the new lines:
MBA - 11, 13, and 15"
MBP - 15 and 17"

This seems the most logical scenario to me as well. Also, don't forget the other advantages of the pro is that they have quad-core processors and can be expanded up to 8GB of RAM vs dual-core processors & 4GB of RAM on the MBA.

While I agree, I expect the next generation MBA to have an option of 8 GB of RAM on the motherboard. The Pro may have the option to go to 16 GB.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #82 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

If the 17" "pro" is considerably faster than the only 15" air, count me out. My 15" is my main work machine, I go everywhere with it, 17" is just too big to lug around everywhere. They really need to keep the 15" pro imo.

After getting my grubby little hands on a 17" MacBook pro for a few days I have to agree. Lugging that big beast around would get old rather quickly. Even if it gets the air treatment that would still be to big to take everywhere. IMHO.

I wonder if Apple might keep a single model 15" with an optical drive around for a while. I personaly don't think it has to be either/or situation. Yet.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #83 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I was amused by the sources cited on this article. They actually stated that it was speculation from an anonymous accessory maker. They're taking guesses and leveraging them into their plans for accessory designs. I'd actually like it if Apple did some of what you mention here in terms of heat dissipation. A silent machine that runs cooler, the potential for a second drive, or longer battery life would be very "Pro". I guess Apple can do whatever they like, but they pretty much address the capacity of what can really be addressed within the typical Air density. I am not sure how much they'd gain building a 15" Air. The weight also seems to be commonly misunderstood. I don't think the shell is a massive contributing factor there compared to what is inside it. The next time I do any real travel I plan to pick up what happens to be the current air just because it fits so well in a backpack. Unfortunately I doubt drive capacity will be greater at that time .

Weight is an unusually selling point with a machine you set down to use. If we're talking a couple pounds it's an issue but a couple ounces isn't a big deal to carry around in a bag that liekly weighs more than it.

They might be seeing an ODD-less MBP and think it's a MBA. That certainly isn't uncommon on these forums.

Personally, I can see a 15" MBA even going with the HiRes display option the current iGPU of the MBAs can handle it. I also think their performance levels are good enough for most users. Just pack in more battery life, append a couple hundred over the base MBA price and I think you'll have a very popular 15" notebook from Apple.

For a thinner MBP Apple can do several things to shrink the thickness without losing RJ-45 jack, which is by far the largest port remaining. They can shrink the top case by using the milled technique of the MBAs, or make the bottom plate bevel less. I think they could thin out the chassis a little around the RJ-45 jack, but not much.

I hope the next MBPs come with HiDPI and IPS displays... but I'll take either one. I expect Apple to focus heavily on Macs this year. I think we're going to be overwhelmed with the Mac updates this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they expand their line up. At this point they need more products, not less.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No thanks. I despise carrying external anything for a device.

I despise having 1/2 the battery life that could be gained from the ODD's space. I despise the lack of ports on the right side of my MBP.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #84 of 184
We are two and a half months into 2012. I own a 13" Macbook Pro and I have used my optical drive and ethernet port exactly zero times this year. I think I used the optical drive once in 2011.

I think lugging around an optical drive is a waste of weight, but I prefer having a hard disk drive over the flash module thing the Airs have. USB optical drives are fine. New Macs use Lion over the Internet or on a recovery partition or flash drive, so a DVD-drive (Apple-blessed or not) isn't needed for recovery purposes. A USB ethernet adaptor can be be made available for those that need it (or for those situations where you might want one), just like they did with dial-up modems.

So i welcome the optical drive-less design and having an extra USB port to replace the ethernet jack. They can get rid of the Firewire 800 jack while they're at it and allow people to create a thunderbolt-to-firewire800 adaptor for those that need it.
post #85 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple has a patent for a hybrid SSD/HDD that fits in a 2.5" bay. They could potentially use that to the fast boot/wake in the MBAs. Or they could offer a dual-drive system that uses both the SSD card found in the MBAs and a 2.5" SSD/HDD drive.

In regards to ports, once you remove that ODD you give yourself 5.25" of port side space.

Yes, but that's assuming they keep the mbp form factor, which I am sure they won't. The question is how thin a 15" Air can be and still squeeze in an HDD. Possibly a 15" Air will be just that much thicker and larger than the 13" model that a few 'essential' ports can be fitted - Ethernet / USB / Thunderbolt?
post #86 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

Best post I've read so far on this subject.

"One possible scenario would be to drop the 13" pro to make the new lines:
MBA - 11, 13, and 15"
MBP - 15 and 17"

This seems the most logical scenario to me as well. Also, don't forget the other advantages of the pro is that they have quad-core processors and can be expanded up to 8GB of RAM vs dual-core processors & 4GB of RAM on the MBA.

Here's a wild idea !!

We know Apple likes to surprise. How about an 11" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro (or call it MacBook)? Same screen res as the current 13" Pro (which is the same as the 11" Air). No optical drive, 64GB (upgradeable) SSD, 2GB (upgradeable) RAM, and an HDD. Priced at $999. Would sell like hot cakes!

There - Tim Cook - an idea worth a few million in revenues !!
post #87 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, but that's assuming they keep the mbp form factor, which I am sure they won't. The question is how thin a 15" Air can be and still squeeze in an HDD. Possibly a 15" Air will be just that much thicker and larger than the 13" model that a few 'essential' ports can be fitted - Ethernet / USB / Thunderbolt?

I wouldn't expect a MBA to have a 2.5" drive. It seems to me by definition an Air wouldn't have that. I was talking about a MBP that follows some of the design cues from the MBA like it did last time.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #88 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope the next MBPs come with HiDPI and IPS displays... but I'll take either one. I expect Apple to focus heavily on Macs this year. I think we're going to be overwhelmed with the Mac updates this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if they expand their line up. At this point they need more products, not less.

I would love Hi Res screens in the MBP / AIR, but wouldn't a shift to Hi Res laptop screens also require a change to their monitors? How difficult would that be in a 27" screen?

By the end of next year there will surely be more products - 7.8" iPad, Apple Television... and possibly even one more thing. But that doesn't preclude streamlining of the laptop range.
post #89 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I would love Hi Res screens in the MBP / AIR, but wouldn't a shift to Hi Res laptop screens also require a change to their monitors? How difficult would that be in a 27" screen?

I'd expect the 27" iMac to be the last to get it. HiDPI displays are s trickle up technology for the yields weren't talking about. I also wouldn't expect the MBAs to get them before the MBPs because the MBAs don't seem geared toward high-end buyer.

Quote:
By the end of next year there will surely be more products - 7.8" iPad, Apple Television... and possibly even one more thing. But that doesn't preclude streamlining of the laptop range.

I can't see I think either of those are a shoe in.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #90 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

There aren't that many people need to use...the horsepower

You do realize the latest Airs with their slower processors outgun my fully loaded quad-core i7 MBP with a 7,200 RPM drive, right?

I fully expect that a Macbook Air 15" with the latest chipsets would put any laptop (and many desktops) to shame.
post #91 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwise View Post

You do realize the latest Airs with their slower processors outgun my fully loaded quad-core i7 MBP with a 7,200 RPM drive, right?

I fully expect that a Macbook Air 15" with the latest chipsets would put any laptop (and many desktops) to shame.

In CPU performance? In GPU performance? In drive performance? The only one that is likely is in drive performance because a 7200 RPM HDD is slow.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #92 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd expect the 27" iMac to be the last to get it. HiDPI displays are s trickle up technology for the yields weren't talking about. I also wouldn't expect the MBAs to get them before the MBPs because the MBAs don't seem geared toward high-end buyer.

I am not convinced the MBA and the MBP will have a different form factor. I wonder if the difference will be in the specs only.
post #93 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not convinced the MBA and the MBP will have a different form factor. I wonder if the difference will be in the specs only.

I don't know what you mean. Do you expect the next MBPs will have a tapered design like the MBA? I do, but I expect them to be thicker to accommodate ports and internals that the MBAs can't.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #94 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not sure about the 6/16 part. I guess you don't use rulers very often.

But you're almost right about the 5/16" I just measured the back part of the case to .321" = 8.15 mm

Edit: actually the male RJ-45 is exactly 5/16". Nevertheless, as you say, not enough room for it on the Air.

Hey thanks for the random insult.

I did in fact use a ruler although, and yes it was marked in 16ths so I'm talking about the nearest 16th of an inch. I didn't in fact measure the male RJ-45, but the hole that it goes in (as I noted) on a unibody MacBook Pro which is exactly the size I mentioned.

So in fact, there is nothing inaccurate about my measurements at all.
post #95 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

but I prefer having a hard disk drive over the flash module thing the Airs have. USB optical drives are fine.

I recently upgraded my 15" MBP by ripping out the optical drive and adding a 128GB SSD as the main boot drive. I left the old HDD in place because I thought I needed the extra space. Not sure I did.

The SSD makes such an incredible difference to the performance of the machine.
If I had to choose, I would now opt for fast and small over large and slow any day.

C.
post #96 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In CPU performance? In GPU performance? In drive performance? The only one that is likely is in drive performance because a 7200 RPM HDD is slow.

In terms of raw numbers, you are right.
In terms of usability, the drive performance makes an astonishing difference.

I have a Mac Pro, quad core, with 9Gigs of memory - running of a Velociraptor 10,000 RPM HDD.
But to use, my recently upgraded MBP with an SSD feels like the faster machine.

C.
post #97 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Hey thanks for the random insult.

Sorry, in the States we usually call 6/16" three eighths. The Imperial units of measure suck anyway and that is just one example of why.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #98 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know what you mean. Do you expect the next MBPs will have a tapered design like the MBA? I do, but I expect them to be thicker to accommodate ports and internals that the MBAs can't.

I am not convinced there will be a separate 13 MBP, but instead a higher specced MBA (possible called MBP), and I imagine the 15" MBA will be be thick enough to accommodate ports and internals as you suggest, but that a lower specced version will be called a MBA and a higher specced version the MBP. Maybe there will be some other differentiating factor in terms of looks, but I wonder if the chassis will be identical. And that there will be no 17MBA, only a MBP, but with the same design as the MBA.
post #99 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

While I agree, I expect the next generation MBA to have an option of 8 GB of RAM on the motherboard. The Pro may have the option to go to 16 GB.

All 2011 (Feb and Oct) Pros can go to 16GB (although not officially acknowledged by Apple).
post #100 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

In terms of raw numbers, you are right.
In terms of usability, the drive performance makes an astonishing difference.

I have a Mac Pro, quad core, with 9Gigs of memory - running of a Velociraptor 10,000 RPM HDD.
But to use, my recently upgraded MBP with an SSD feels like the faster machine.

Sure, but we're still talking about an HDD v. an SSD. I think it's reasonable to assume that any form factor change to the MBP will also come with fast boot, like in the MBAs, but also allow for having high capacity drives that simply aren't an option in the MBAs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, in the States we usually call 6/16" three eighths. The Imperial units of measure suck anyway and that is just one example of why.

Usually you change to the lowest common denominator for math class but in the real world it can oft be easier if all measurements have the same denominator.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not convinced there will be a separate 13 MBP, but instead a higher specced MBA (possible called MBP), and I imagine the 15" MBA will be be thick enough to accommodate ports and internals as you suggest, but that a lower specced version will be called a MBA and a higher specced version the MBP. Maybe there will be some other differentiating factor in terms of looks, but I wonder if the chassis will be identical. And that there will be no 17MBA, only a MBP, but with the same design as the MBA.

To me that sounds like a convoluted line up. A MBA with the performance of a MBP sounds to me like it should be marketed as a MBP.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #101 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I recently upgraded my 15" MBP by ripping out the optical drive and adding a 128GB SSD as the main boot drive. I left the old HDD in place because I thought I needed the extra space. Not sure I did.

The SSD makes such an incredible difference to the performance of the machine.
If I had to choose, I would now opt for fast and small over large and slow any day.

C.

I have been tempted to do this for a long time with my MB (Alu but pre pro by about a week!), but as my machine is getting long in the tooth anyway I am not sure it is worth it.
post #102 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

After getting my grubby little hands on a 17" MacBook pro for a few days I have to agree. Lugging that big beast around would get old rather quickly. Even if it gets the air treatment that would still be to big to take everywhere. IMHO.

Really? I've been using my 17" MBP since 2006 and haven't found it to be too much to 'lug around'. Sure, it's a big computer, but unless you're incredibly weak, a 6 pound computer instead of a 3 pound computer shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

Would I like it to be lighter? Sure. But I wouldn't claim that it's not usable because of the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In CPU performance? In GPU performance? In drive performance? The only one that is likely is in drive performance because a 7200 RPM HDD is slow.

I think the point is that in terms of usability and responsiveness, the Air is faster than a MBP for the average user. Again, keep in mind that the quote that started this thread was that a 15" MBA would kill of the Pro FOR THE AVERAGE USER. The average non-pro user isn't doing anything that requires massive CPU or GPU performance, so most people would see a 15" Air with SSD as being at least equal to a conventional 15" Pro with HDD.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #103 of 184
I think people are being a tad short sighted here. Yes a 15" version of the air wouldn't be a "Pro" replacement.

But if they were to meld the air design into a 15" chassis, remove the optical drive and use all the additional space to build in the required logic boards etc to include Ethernet & additional FireWire/TB ports I reckon they'd be on to a winner.

A best of breed if you will.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #104 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To me that sounds like a convoluted line up. A MBA with the performance of a MBP sounds to me like it should be marketed as a MBP.

Sure. I am not convinced I am right . But does Apple market the MBP separate form the MBA? What if they were all MacBooks, but top of the line had the 'pro' moniker added. Cars don't tend to change form factor just because they have 4wd or a more powerful engine. The Air form factor is no longer special, for Apple or otherwise, and so to market it as distinct from their other offerings seems sort of passé.

Having said that, Perhaps having two form factors for every laptop makes sense from a profit pov. I imagine not, but I stand to be corrected.
post #105 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

Because of their push for Thunderbolt so heavily. Including USB 3.0 at the same time would do nothing but diminish any reason to go to Thunderbolt. At least in the case of having USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt you have enough differentiation. USB 3 and Thunderbolt, not as much. Sure, theoretical peak is only half of thunderbolt, but that's substantially less difference than than the 20 times slower USB 2.0. And honestly you are probably not going to ever saturate USB 3.0 completely very often anyway.

USB 3.0 is a given for the new models due to it being already integrated on Ivy Bridge.

As for it diminishing any reason to go to Thunderbolt, 3rd party manufacturers have already seen to that. Thunderbolt will find a niche in high-end video editing businesses and such like but it was DOA for the consumer mass market.
post #106 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have been tempted to do this for a long time with my MB (Alu but pre pro by about a week!), but as my machine is getting long in the tooth anyway I am not sure it is worth it.

Same here. I would consider it (I almost never use the OD on my Pro), but the computer's well over 5 years old and I just don't see the point.

I did try a hybrid hard disk (HDD/SSD combination) a couple of years ago and must say that I really didn't see that much difference. While people rave about the hybrids, I didn't notice much improvement.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #107 of 184
The people bitching about this are comical.
Read the article.
The headline is very misleading.
The quote is referring to the 15" pro being "killed" in the consumer market IE average consumers buying the pro because of its screen size but do not need "pro" features.
post #108 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulcinella View Post

I want a Macbook Pro with a Retina Display!

Me too. MacBook Air Pro (the Pro being the retina display models).
post #109 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

if the above rumor is true, then you could either use a usb/ethernet adapter or get the 17"

those dongles suck and look ugly. no reason they can't leave an ethernet plug on it. i think most pro users wouldn't mind better battery life, a 'real' processor and some basic ports rather than super thin and weak.
post #110 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I always thought the first Dell Adamo was smart looking.


Obviously, not too many other people thought that? Or, was it very popular, and I somehow missed hearing about it?
post #111 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Obviously, not too many other people thought that? Or, was it very popular, and I somehow missed hearing about it?

Smart looking, but it had plenty of issues that made it less desirable than the MBA.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #112 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJameson View Post

Which is going to give substantially less throughput than a real gigabit ethernet port.

How about a Thunderbolt dongle?

Apple::
"With PCI Express technology, you can use existing USB and FireWire peripherals even connect to Gigabit Ethernet and Fibre Channel networks using simple adapters."
http://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/
post #113 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

So in fact, there is nothing inaccurate about my measurements at all.

My physics prof. used to say without the margin of error included, the measurement is meaningless. I'd say you measurement is meaningless!
post #114 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

those dongles suck and look ugly. no reason they can't leave an ethernet plug on it. i think most pro users wouldn't mind better battery life, a 'real' processor and some basic ports rather than super thin and weak.

But what if you could accomplish all the thinnest of the MBA without sacrificing performance? I say, release the MBAP already and chuck out all the bulky and antiquated ports. Let people who need them deal with USB 3/TB dongles.
post #115 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry, in the States we usually call 6/16" three eighths. The Imperial units of measure suck anyway and that is just one example of why.

That is so assinine.

He was clearly using the scale to show that it is indeed 1/16th of an inch bigger. Reducing the fraction just convolutes this measurement.

Sometimes this forum feels like highschool.
post #116 of 184
I think its going to be a MBA at 15 inch with the Option of HDD vs SSD just like the first MBA

And then I think they will offer different screen resolutions just like in the MBPs today

For those in need of the ODD, they will keep the MBP lineup for a while
post #117 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I'm not. My line of work requires transfer of information between various departments, auditors and 3rd party vendors. We have email caps, so we can't go that way. We don't give out USB drives either. We tried FTP, but some vendors are clueless.

ghostface, I feel your pain regarding vendors, but respectfully the hassle of getting them up to speed or switching vendors pales in comparison to the time you spend writing and labeling media.

It was borderline in maybe 2010 but in 2012 GoogleDocs and Dropbox have solved the issue of the person on the other end not understanding how to ftp. Seriously, any vendor who doesn't let you exchange a few gigs of files online every week, however you do it, is probably not up to speed on the rest of their scene either. How do you get the media to them, anyway? Messenger? Fedex? It adds up to much more than a little investment in an online privately shared encrypted folder setup, and it's easier to deal with than it might sound.
post #118 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Usually you change to the lowest common denominator for math class but in the real world it can oft be easier if all measurements have the same denominator.

Ok but just an FYI if you go to a real world Home Depot to buy a 6/16" drill bit, you will not find one.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #119 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

USB 3.0 is a given for the new models due to it being already integrated on Ivy Bridge.

As for it diminishing any reason to go to Thunderbolt, 3rd party manufacturers have already seen to that. Thunderbolt will find a niche in high-end video editing businesses and such like but it was DOA for the consumer mass market.

I'll add that Thunderbot will find a niche as a single-connection docking and monitor port for desktop use - just as Apple has said. One can only assume (yes, always dangerous) that the limited number of options to do this so far will increase and become less expensive. Of course you have Apple's new monitor which has gigabit ethernet, USB, and Firewire. Plug an external optical drive into this and you have about everything you need. Also, most people don't use all that hardware when traveling so why lug it around? Just leave it on your desk to plug in with one cable when you return.
post #120 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To me that sounds like a convoluted line up. A MBA with the performance of a MBP sounds to me like it should be marketed as a MBP.

Not necessarily. To me, the difference is features. Pro has ODD, hard disk with lots of storage, card slot (on some of them), full size keyboard and screen, and a full array of ports. MBA has a much more limited feature set.

Now, to be fair, I don't push my computer that hard, so I may be biased, but even if you could have an 11" Air with the same performance as a 17" MBP, I don't think the Air would be a pro machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

That is so assinine.

He was clearly using the scale to show that it is indeed 1/16th of an inch bigger. Reducing the fraction just convolutes this measurement.

Sometimes this forum feels like highschool.

On a good day. Most days it's more like junior high or grade school.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Apple to launch 15-inch MacBook Air in April, 'effectively killing the Pro'