or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad drawing record preorders, Apple projected to sell 66M in 2012

New iPad drawing record preorders, Apple projected to sell 66M in 2012

post #1 of 58
Apple's new iPad is off to a record start before it's even been released, setting the stage for the company to sell a projected 66 million total units in 2012.

Analyst Michael Walkley with Canaccord Genuity raised his price target for Apple stock on Wednesday to $710, from $665. He said his own checks with Apple's distribution channels have indicated that the new iPad, just announced a week ago, has already broken the company's preorder records.

New orders from Apple's online store now take up to three weeks to ship in the U.S., which Walkley believes is another sign that the new iPad will achieve record sales when it goes on sale in 10 countries this Friday at 8 a.m. local time.

The analyst also believes that Apple's competitors will continue to struggle to introduce competitive products over the coming quarters. He noted that at this year's Consumer Electronics Show and Mobile World Congress conferences, most Android manufacturers "essentially conceded the high-end tablet market to Apple in the near term."

Accordingly, he expects that Apple will sell 65.6 million iPads in 2012, a projection nearly 10 million units higher than his previous forecast of 55.9 million.

For 2013, Walkley increased his estimate by more than 20 million units. He now sees Apple selling 90.6 million iPads next year, up from his earlier projection of 79.7 million.

Those sales will allow Apple to maintain its dominance in the tablet market, capturing more than 60 percent of sales, he said. As for the financial side, Walkley sees Apple commanding more than 80 percent of the tablet industry's profits this year.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 58
AAPL @ 580.77
post #3 of 58
I'm going to laugh when this analyst, who thinks he's being so smart raising his 'projection' up to 66M for the year, is off by a lot.

I project that Apple can easily clear 100 million units (yeah I pulled that number out of my butt, just like he did).

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I'm going to laugh when this analyst, who thinks he's being so smart raising his 'projection' up to 66M for the year, is off by a lot.

I project that Apple can easily clear 100 million units (yeah I pulled that number out of my butt, just like he did).

I'll take your butt over his any day. (Wow, that sounds wrong on so many levels)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, I'm predicting that they will sell 1,001!!! So, I'm already brilliant!!!
post #6 of 58
Quote:

Well, with the iPad really making inroads into big shops, military, airlines, etc... Would not be too far-fetched.

I dont think it will be that high, but I think 2012 will be the year the iPad in all areas.

I'm still contemplating replacing my iPad2 but will wait till the dust settles a bit.
post #7 of 58
Boohoo! I am hardly impressed by this news. I am so damn happy with my Android tablet. I just don't get how anybody would choose an iPad over that! Are people really that dumb?! My Android tablet has a 1.1 Ghz dual core processor. That's .1 better than the new iPad, so my Android tablet is better, because 1.1 is better than 1.0. I learned that in my special ed math class and I double checked the calculation using a calculator. And that high rez screen on the iPad? Please. \ That's just a gimmick. Nobody will be able to tell the difference, unless they have superman vision.

And iOS? iOS is for children! Android has ice cream sandwich, and that's definitely not for children. My tablet doesn't actually have ice cream sandwich yet, but I've been promised that it will arrive for my tablet sometime in the middle of 2013. Jeez, Apple fans are such sheep.

And the best part is that my Android tablet only cost me $189.99 and I haven't spent a penny on a single app so far! The Android eco-system is just amazing and I predict a bright future for it. $500 is just too much to spend on a tablet, especially for a welfare recipient such as myself. Do I look like the kind of person who is going to pay $500 for a fruit logo?

I could talk all day about how my Android tablet blows away the new iPad, but I have to go out and collect some bottles now. Cya!
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Boohoo! I am hardly impressed by this news. I am so damn happy with my Android tablet. I just don't get how anybody would choose an iPad over that! Are people really that dumb?! My Android tablet has a 1.1 Ghz dual core processor. That's .1 better than the new iPad, so my Android tablet is better, because 1.1 is better than 1.0. I learned that in my special ed math class and I double checked the calculation using a calculator. And that high rez screen on the iPad? Please. \ That's just a gimmick. Nobody will be able to tell the difference, unless they have superman vision.

And iOS? iOS is for children! Android has ice cream sandwich, and that's definitely not for children. My tablet doesn't actually have ice cream sandwich yet, but I've been promised that it will arrive for my tablet sometime in the middle of 2013. Jeez, Apple fans are such sheep.

And the best part is that my Android tablet only cost me $189.99 and I haven't spent a penny on a single app so far! The Android eco-system is just amazing and I predict a bright future for it. $500 is just too much to spend on a tablet, especially for a welfare recipient such as myself. Do I look like the kind of person who is going to pay $500 for a fruit logo?

I could talk all day about how my Android tablet blows away the new iPad, but I have to go out and collect some bottles now. Cya!

Not to mention the Tegra 3 has 12 cores to produce super massive graphics on the non-existent games that use them! The new iPad only has 4 cores so..... 12 > 4, I'm good at the maths! Ignore those benchmarks that say otherwise though. This is obviously JUST like the smartphone market.
post #9 of 58
That certainly is a different tack. Doesn't your Android come with a metal detector?
post #10 of 58
"But Siri can't understand a question about the weather," said Taladonga Breckenridge, a Samsung representative, when asked about the pre-order frenzy surrounding the new iPad.
post #11 of 58
I preordered last Thursday and it's due to be delivered Friday. This is my first ipad and I'm psyched! I got the 64 GB with 4g. (Tim Allen grunt....)
post #12 of 58
Quote:

Hey, didn't I see you post on Engaget? Your android is also beter because it docks into a mouse, full size keyboard, and rolling desk chair with buttons on the arm rests like Captain Kirk!
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'll take your butt over his any day. (Wow, that sounds wrong on so many levels)

Like the guy who retired from the Navy... He was sad to leave his shipmate's behind
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

AAPL @ 580.77

Yeah... It really would be nice for Apple to announce a 10:1 stock split -- to make AAPL shares more accessible to the small investor.
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah... It really would be nice for Apple to announce a 10:1 stock split -- to make AAPL shares more accessible to the small investor.

Sorry, Dick, I just don't get that. You can buy one share if that's all you can afford. The return is the same regardless of order size.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #16 of 58
At this sales level, the installed base will generate enormous recurrent revenues, through the selling of immaterial content (applications, music, books, videos, magazines, newspapers ...), which will boost the whole ecosystem.
post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

Hey, didn't I see you post on Engaget? Your android is also beter because it docks into a mouse, full size keyboard, and rolling desk chair with buttons on the arm rests like Captain Kirk!

And, it's streamlined with NO volume button! That's right...even Apple didn't think of that one! And it monitors all my Web browsing to ensure it can fully data mine all my habits and personal info. It is truly amazing! All on top of the $199 price! Two for one soon! Peace!!

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sorry, Dick, I just don't get that. You can buy one share if that's all you can afford. The return is the same regardless of order size.

I own a single share of Apple and would have bought more but couldn't afford to at the time. Now I definitely can't afford to buy more...
post #19 of 58
Quote:

You secretly love Android, don't you? Why else would you constantly bring it up? You didn't even comment on the article that was 100% Apple never mentioning Android. Whenever someone says "I hate this/that" constantly they're no longer trying to convince those listening but themselves.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You don't have $580?
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those sales will allow Apple to maintain its dominance in the tablet market, capturing more than 60 percent of sales, he said. As for the financial side, Walkley sees Apple commanding more than 80 percent of the tablet industry's profits this year.

He obviously meant shipments because only Apple reports sales to end users.
post #22 of 58
Quote:

Boohoo! I am hardly impressed by this news.

Betcha a couple people think you're serious.
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabig View Post

You don't have $580?

His point is that people who have, say, $1000 can only buy 1 share but with a 10:1 split they could by 17 shares. Besides the psychological effect of buying more than 1 share they can make an financial investment that is substantially larger so instead of being able to use $580 of their $1000 they can use $986.

post #24 of 58
Try 100% of the profits this year. And likely next year too

Who is making any profit in tablets other than Apple? Who?

post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Try 100% of the profits this year. And likely next year too

Who is making any profit in tablets other than Apple? Who?

No one, I'll bet.

Which is probably the main reason that not one of them has the guts to report any actual numbers.
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For 2013, Walkley increased his estimate by more than 20 million units. He now sees Apple selling 90.6 million iPads next year, up from his earlier projection of 79.7 million.

Those are amazing numbers? Wow! Almost impossibly so.....
post #27 of 58
Thats NUTS! Its amazing how far along the iPad has come since the whole "enormous iPod" phase. Thats crazy! i Expect a black friday line friday morning at my local best buy. NUTS!
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #28 of 58
post #29 of 58
So we know last quarter the iPad sold more units than all of HP's PC sales. I wonder how long before the iPad sells more units than the entire PC industry. I have to think 2x the units YoY is not unreasonable for this device.

PS: I think the news of Apple's iPad margins being lower because of the display are likely accurate. I guess we'll see in 5 months.

post #30 of 58
A few questions, why do you bother to post on a Mac Forum when you use a 'stolen' product?

Let me explain, as you don't seem too bright! Samsung and others quite simply stole the iPhone and iPad from Apple. This has been well documented! Surely you have read up on this?

Steve vowed to sue the pants off Google, saying apart from 'Search' all Google products were 'SHIT'....Steve's words not mine! He further said he would use every cent of the then $40 billion war chest Apple had accumulated to destroy Google and Android devices. (now @ over $100 billion)

The pity of it all was that Steve left the planet before his strategy (admittedly a bit extreme) was put into place.

Apple, and Only Apple, spent the huge R & D to develop their product range and then their intellectual property is simply stolen by others less smart.

Android is maybe pitched at those less fortunate, financially and intellectually.

You would appear to fit both categories nicely!

Enjoy your inferior, cheap, stolen product...you won't for much longer, and, PLEASE keep your inane comments to your self.

Got it now?

Quote:

post #31 of 58
Maybe a few more sold this quarter. Given pass sales 20 million is reasonable. That would place sales at around 80 million which is nothing to sneeze at.

The big mystery is how many they had available for presale. I could see them moving 5 million already with store sales yet to take place. It is really a question of how many they have manufactured over the last two months and frankly I could easily see 10 million being built for launch.

Quote:

post #32 of 58
But Android will take over in....wait for it....2015

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brie...n-2015-analyst
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestgolfer View Post

A few questions, why do you bother to post on a Mac Forum when you use a 'stolen' product?

Let me explain, as you don't seem too bright! Samsung and others quite simply stole the iPhone and iPad from Apple. This has been well documented! Surely you have read up on this?

Steve vowed to sue the pants off Google, saying apart from 'Search' all Google products were 'SHIT'....Steve's words not mine! He further said he would use every cent of the then $40 billion war chest Apple had accumulated to destroy Google and Android devices. (now @ over $100 billion)

The pity of it all was that Steve left the planet before his strategy (admittedly a bit extreme) was put into place.

Apple, and Only Apple, spent the huge R & D to develop their product range and then their intellectual property is simply stolen by others less smart.

Android is maybe pitched at those less fortunate, financially and intellectually.

You would appear to fit both categories nicely!

Enjoy your inferior, cheap, stolen product...you won't for much longer, and, PLEASE keep your inane comments to your self.

Got it now?

He was being sarcastic. You wrote all that for naught.
post #34 of 58
I wonder how many iPads each bestbuy store receives for day one? There are around 600 stores in the US perhaps receiving an average of 1,000 each? PC world in the UK might receive a smaller amount per store, then add each Apple store and then all the istores. Wow, that's not even including the numbers of pre-orders ...

I think it's safe to assume that the only thing limiting the sales for day one will be the availability and you can be sure that Apple has ensured more availability than for the iPad 2.

1,000,000 is a nice number, so I think they'll be trying for that. Regardless, they are going to sell stacks of these things, but here is the really interesting thing ... How may people will throw away their iPad 1 or 2? I think it's safe to assume none. So what's going to happen to all of those older machines? They'll be sold to people who never had one, or even given away ( here little brother) to family. Those people will buy apps and songs and continue to feed the Apple. It's staggering how much money this "oversized iPod" will make.
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But Android will take over in....wait for it....2015

http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brie...n-2015-analyst

It probably will happen at some point that android devices outsell iPad devices, that is if they are cheap enough. You also need to remember that a lot of people in the world don't have credit cards and therefore can't access the app store. I worked in Africa for the last 4 years and while lots of people wanted an iPad, it's expensive and most people don't have credit cards.

This makes an android device more attractive and practicle. My felling is choice is always best, imagine world where the only car available was a porchse? The roads would be nice and clear and I'd have to be walking
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well, with the iPad really making inroads into big shops, military, airlines, etc... Would not be too far-fetched.

I dont think it will be that high, but I think 2012 will be the year the iPad in all areas.

I'm still contemplating replacing my iPad2 but will wait till the dust settles a bit.

It looks like you have no choice with pre-orders already moving almost a month out. It will probably take months to be even with demand. I'm happy I decided to pre-order on the first day. I'm wondering if I'll regret going with the AT&T model now that I know there is no tethering support at launch though.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

I wonder how many iPads each bestbuy store receives for day one? There are around 600 stores in the US perhaps receiving an average of 1,000 each? PC world in the UK might receive a smaller amount per store, then add each Apple store and then all the istores. Wow, that's not even including the numbers of pre-orders ...

I think it's safe to assume that the only thing limiting the sales for day one will be the availability and you can be sure that Apple has ensured more availability than for the iPad 2.

1,000,000 is a nice number, so I think they'll be trying for that. Regardless, they are going to sell stacks of these things, but here is the really interesting thing ... How may people will throw away their iPad 1 or 2? I think it's safe to assume none. So what's going to happen to all of those older machines? They'll be sold to people who never had one, or even given away ( here little brother) to family. Those people will buy apps and songs and continue to feed the Apple. It's staggering how much money this "oversized iPod" will make.

Yeah. My mom won one in a contest. They used it so much they now have a second iPad. They probably wouldn't have one at all if they didn't try it first.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Those are amazing numbers? Wow! Almost impossibly so.....

Yeah. I thought Apple was going somewhere when I switched at OS X 10.3. Never imagined them making it this far though. Both Mac and iOS numbers are amazing. The Mac is also drawing in people who would never use something considered a niche OS. It still surprises me to think of OS X as mainstream. In someways it feels less exclusive now. You used to be able to make certain assumptions about someones tastes if they used a Mac, but as long as they continue focusing on the things that make the OS great I'm happy.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

It looks like you have no choice with pre-orders already moving almost a month out. It will probably take months to be even with demand. I'm happy I decided to pre-order on the first day. I'm wondering if I'll regret going with the AT&T model now that I know there is no tethering support at launch though.

I'm going to buy the verizon model as well when I get in line tomorrow. I'm debating but I will be in someone's Ipad line on thursday night.
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

It probably will happen at some point that android devices outsell iPad devices, that is if they are cheap enough. You also need to remember that a lot of people in the world don't have credit cards and therefore can't access the app store. I worked in Africa for the last 4 years and while lots of people wanted an iPad, it's expensive and most people don't have credit cards.

This makes an android device more attractive and practicle. My felling is choice is always best, imagine world where the only car available was a porchse? The roads would be nice and clear and I'd have to be walking

maybe but I keep hearing about all these android tablets that are going to be iPad killers but I never see anyone using them. Go to Best Buy or Target and half the time they're not working. Certainly don't draw your eye to them like iPad does. These analysts seem to be forgetting Windows 8. I can see Android and Windows fighting it out for 2nd place while Apple stays on top.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • New iPad drawing record preorders, Apple projected to sell 66M in 2012
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › New iPad drawing record preorders, Apple projected to sell 66M in 2012