or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama invites Apple design chief Jonathan Ive to state dinner

President Obama invites Apple design chief Jonathan Ive to state dinner

post #1 of 52
The recently knighted Sir Jonathan Ive, Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, will join other notable brits at President Barack Obama's state dinner honoring British Prime Minister David Cameron's first visit to the U.S.

As part of his first U.S. tour, Cameron will take part in a White House dinner where a number of British elites and other guests are planned to take part in a meet and greet with President Obama, reports The Guardian.

Gathering at the nation's capitol with Ive will be other big names familiar to the U.S. public including Sir Richard Branson, golfer Rory McIlroy, musical group Mumford & Sons, and actors Damian Lewis and Hugh Bonneville.

Ive, who has worked for Apple for over 19 years, was a close confidant to the company's late co-founder Steve Jobs. In an interview for his biography, Jobs said that "there's no one who can tell [Ive} what to do. That's the way I set it up.'"

In December 2011, Ive's status was upgraded from Commander of the British Empire to Knight Commander of the British Empire.

The White House dinner is scheduled to take place on Wednesday night.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 52
...this just in: Alleged "iPhone 5" prototype found in Oval Office.
post #3 of 52
I wonder if Jony will take an iPad 3rd generation or two with him.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #4 of 52
Kind of low on the celebrity quotient. George Clooney was the best they could do and he's not even British.
post #5 of 52
I wonder when Obama will switch to iPhone. It's not like BB is the making a killer product these days and Apple is an American company. I wouldn't be surprise if Ives will be in charge in making that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wonder if Jony will take an iPad 3rd generation or two with him.

Nice timing, Obama.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 52
It's a cynical move on the President's part. Last time he got a free iPad2, so he's obviously just looking for another freebie, and the timing is extremely suspicious, since we all know what's getting released this Friday at 8:00 am.

Obama also needs to ditch his foreign made Blackberry. Obama is the dude with the "buy American" plan. Does he not follow his own advice? And besides, RIM is on a steep downwards spiral and it's better to jump ship before the entire thing sinks and you find yourself underwater.
post #7 of 52
They're going to be comparing brackets.
post #8 of 52
The last time Obama was providing a gift to the Brits, it was a Walmart-quality set of old DVDs that wouldn't play on European equipment. Maybe this time around, he's going to hit up Ive for a "free" $50 iTunes card that he'll re-gift to Cameron. At least that should work.
post #9 of 52
Reading the Jony Ive chapter in Steve's bio then saw this. Ive is one of those rare people who so totally has has act together.
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

The last time Obama was providing a gift to the Brits, it was a Walmart-quality set of old DVDs that wouldn't play on European equipment. Maybe this time around, he's going to hit up Ive for a "free" $50 iTunes card that he'll re-gift to Cameron. At least that should work.

Well Obama did give the Queen an iPod a couple years ago....with some of his speeches on it.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well Obama did give the Queen an iPod a couple years ago....with some of his speeches on it.

Didn't it also have music on it, and wasn't his gifting thereof illegal because of copyright laws?
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Didn't it also have music on it, and wasn't his gifting thereof illegal because of copyright laws?

And I read that she already had an iPod from before. I mean, she is the Queen of England afterall.

Her Majesty's Royal iPod gift was stocked with 40 tunes from popular Broadway productions, including "West Side Story," "My Fair Lady" and "South Pacific."

The playlist also features "Oklahoma!" Carol Channing's rendition of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," "Memory" from Cats and "Shall We Dance?" featured in "The King and I."
post #13 of 52
Saw Sir Jony on TV. The guy cleans up quite nicely.
post #14 of 52
The British are coming, the British are coming!

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #15 of 52
Nice. I look forward to the the first state dinner for the new Prime Minister during President Obama's second term, when Cameron is a distant bad memory.

Maybe Tim Cook could work on a British accent?
post #16 of 52
Ive is such a stud.
post #17 of 52
Why the hell is he honouring Cameron? What's to honour about this inept gutless man? Jony Ive is doing both of em a favour to be there...
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's a cynical move on the President's part. Last time he got a free iPad2, so he's obviously just looking for another freebie, and the timing is extremely suspicious, since we all know what's getting released this Friday at 8:00 am.

Obama also needs to ditch his foreign made Blackberry. Obama is the dude with the "buy American" plan. Does he not follow his own advice? And besides, RIM is on a steep downwards spiral and it's better to jump ship before the entire thing sinks and you find yourself underwater.

Yes, the timing is 'suspicious', as Obama obviously coordinated a state dinner honouring the British PM who flew to the US, as well as many other guests- with the iPad launch, and also invited Jonathan Ive along all for a cunningly elaborate plan to snag a $499 device as a 'freebie'. I sometimes wonder if you're actually so deluded to believe the insane things you say, or if it's just a knowing troll. I really want to know if you truly believe the President of the United States timed a State Dinner so that he MIGHT be able to get a free iPad. If you see this as a possibility, you have more than a few screws loose. I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.
post #19 of 52
post #20 of 52
Jony is livin it large my son like a true Essex boy.

Call me Dave (Cameron) and his wife Samantha are about as posh as you can get. He went to the most exclusive private school in the UK (Eton) and she is part of one of the oldest aristocratic families in the UK.

Oh yes folks we elect real people to be our leaders
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, the timing is 'suspicious', as Obama obviously coordinated a state dinner honouring the British PM who flew to the US, as well as many other guests- with the iPad launch, and also invited Jonathan Ive along all for a cunningly elaborate plan to snag a $499 device as a 'freebie'. I sometimes wonder if you're actually so deluded to believe the insane things you say, or if it's just a knowing troll. I really want to know if you truly believe the President of the United States timed a State Dinner so that he MIGHT be able to get a free iPad. If you see this as a possibility, you have more than a few screws loose. I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.

@slurpy: You definitely have a problem with perception today.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I guess people who hate someone can convince themselves of anything.

This is, indeed, true of Apple][.

Unfortunate. I've stopped responding to his posts a while ago.
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

@slurpy: You definitely have a problem with perception today.

What 'perception' problem is that? Care to explain?
post #24 of 52
Quite an honor for a Brit in his position, I'd say. How many industrial designers have gotten invites to White House dinners?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What 'perception' problem is that? Care to explain?

Both you and Slurpy have been had. It is the Obama lovers who have a perception problem and a problem with reality.

While it's true that I do not think highly of Obama, and I believe that he's one of the worst Presidents ever, I do believe that he does not need a free iPad and I'm pretty sure that he can afford to buy one himself if he so desired. To sum it up, no, I do not believe that a state dinner has been arranged solely for the goal of getting a free iPad.

Some people get so upset and are so brainwashed by their messiah, that they simply can't tolerate anybody making a joke about "the one".
post #26 of 52
Quote:

Both you and Slurpy have been had. It is the Obama lovers who have a perception problem and a problem with reality.

While it's true that I do not think highly of Obama, and I believe that he's one of the worst Presidents ever, I do believe that he does not need a free iPad and I'm pretty sure that he can afford to buy one himself if he so desired. To sum it up, no, I do not believe that a state dinner has been arranged solely for the goal of getting a free iPad.

Some people get so upset and are so brainwashed by their messiah, that they simply can't tolerate anybody making a joke about "the one".

You're very cute, sometimes. But overly judgmental, and on matters non-Android, often wrong.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quite an honor for a Brit in his position, I'd say. How many industrial designers have gotten invites to White House dinners?

That is the larger point.

+1
post #28 of 52
Don't you just love those British honours and awards? Such archaic language, but many of them were only created in the last 150 years or so. The really old titles are the Dukes (from the French for leader, "Duc") and the older Earls (from the Anglo Saxon "Jarl" which also means leader). The Dukes replaced the Earls after the Normans invaded and displaced the Saxons who had invaded after the Romans had invaded. Nobody knows what the Ancient Britons called their leaders. Possibly the same verbs we use for them today... only in their language! haha!

As for Jonny Ive's presence, I believe it's customary to invite such guests when foreign dignitaries visit. Anyhow, Sam Cameron uses an iMac so was probably interested in having a chat with him if nobody else.

Not sure if you saw the pics of Cameron and Obama at the Basketball game, but Cameron was *really* tucking into his hot dog... I guess that explains why he looks so chubby! lol!
post #29 of 52
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think I have myself a new picture in the series of Apple Executive Reaction Photos
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The British are coming, the British are coming!

We're already here
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #32 of 52
guess who's coming to dinner?

jon ives 9 1/2 +

apple computer 9 1/2 +

obama 1/2 +
post #33 of 52
I am surprised that his spouse/partner wasn't invited (or chose not to be in attendance).
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am surprised that his spouse/partner wasn't invited (or chose not to be in attendance).

Perhaps his wife doesn't want to be in the spotlight. \
post #35 of 52
They should have also invited Austin Powers.
post #36 of 52
Reagan invite = Win...Obama invite = Meh
post #37 of 52
Quote:

ain't that the truth. good thing you didn't assert how badly the big-eared apologist is going to have his skinny a-- handed to him in November. Then it might have gotten ugly.
post #38 of 52
In my lifetime, I have watched 12 presidents as closely as I could bear to do. One had a lot of class, Kennedy, so that wasn't so bad, while it lasted. Some, actually most of them, were painfully out of touch. They'd be tripping over words like "the Internets" or "the Google."

This one we have now is the first one who is in touch with what's going on enough to be able to talk to an ace like Sir Jony without embarassing himself. Ive and The Prez will have a good time, I think.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabo View Post

Reagan invite = Win...Obama invite = Meh

Not according to Richard Pryor. He was invited to the White House when Superman III released and he said that Regan looked at him like he (Pryor) owed him some money!

"He looked like a d**k. Not even a h**d-on!"
post #40 of 52
Nothing personal but man Obama can't tell a joke to save his life. He was trying so hard to be funny in his toast it was painful to watch. Nobody laughed. Cameron was much more at ease and actually got some laughs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama invites Apple design chief Jonathan Ive to state dinner