or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs - Page 2

post #41 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Any graphics professional will likely not want to use the "inferior" Apple displays, but go for ones like from the Eizo

A graphics professional will most likely not let something so trivial determine their choice of computer. It's easy enough to buy a Thunderbolt-Ethernet (or even Thunderbolt-Fibre Channel) adapter:
http://www.thunderbolt-peripherals.c...erbolt-adapter
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Why is this such a hard concept for people to understand? Not everyone works in a location blanketed by high speed wifi. Some people have to connect to secure networks. Dongles suck. A retina display doesn't do squat when you can't get to your data.

Apple products gained so much ground over the last decade because they were able to impress both the barristas at starbucks and technical people who value performance.

OK. So Apple loses the market which meets all of the following criteria:
1. No access to WiFi at critical times
2. Needs Ethernet all the time (not just in the office since if it's only in the office, they can leave the adapter attached to the Ethernet cable)
3. Unwilling to use a TB-Ethernet adapter when traveling
4. Willing to change to a different OS and hardware supplier to avoid the inconvenience of carrying an adapter.

Somehow, I doubt that involves very many people. After all, the MacBook Air is selling extremely well.

Oh, and of course, this is just a rumor. There's no real evidence that Apple's going to drop Ethernet, anyway.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #43 of 92
I think that the ethernet port will be standard equipment. It will be right next to the MagSafe port at the rear of the lower casing, just as it is today. Or, with the optical drive gone, move to the rear on the opposite side.
post #44 of 92
At my company, if I bring in my own laptop and I want to connect to the network, I HAVE to use a hard line. Using their wireless is a security risk; you can only use it if your machine's software has been installed and configured by a controlled image file.

If a Macbook Pro is truly intended for "Professional" users, then they can't ditch the wired ethernet port.

P.S. Doesn't bother me either way, I don't use my own laptop at work, but I find it interesting that so many people debate this feature.
post #45 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMSWITCHER View Post

I think that the ethernet port will be standard equipment. It will be right next to the MagSafe port at the rear of the lower casing, just as it is today. Or, with the optical drive gone, move to the rear on the opposite side.

I don't see them keeping an Ethernet port, but that's me.

Oh, years back aught seven maybe? Apple got patents for collapsible ports. They knew back then that Ethernet is the only thing keeping computers from getting thinner (well, that and FireWire 800, but that's basically moot now), and so they created thinner versions of the ports.

Thunderbolt makes those patents unnecessary now, but they were interesting to see.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't see them keeping an Ethernet port, but that's me.

Oh, years back aught seven maybe? Apple got patents for collapsible ports. They knew back then that Ethernet is the only thing keeping computers from getting thinner (well, that and FireWire 800, but that's basically moot now), and so they created thinner versions of the ports.

Thunderbolt makes those patents unnecessary now, but they were interesting to see.

The rear lower case for the new 15" MacBook Pro will be nearly as thick as the rear lower case of the current model. It will need to be to accommodate an adequate heat-sink for the Core i7 processor and GPU. Adding the ethernet port is a no brainer - really.
post #47 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A built-in RJ-45 jack is the make-it-or-break-it feature for you regardless of whatever else they do? Even if the next MBPs have Retina Displays?

Retina displays would be pretty useless without an Ethernet port for many uses. I'm not sure why people don't grasp this, Ethernet is as critical as a decent GPU is to some Pro users.
post #48 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Apple or some third party can make a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter without losing a bit of speed. Anyone who is willing to give up all of Apple's goodness will be biting their nose to spite their face. They deserve everything they get. It no skin off our nose.

The problem is you guys just don't understand how critical it is to have Ethernet built in. Some places demand it as part of their security policies. Others need the port to easily hook up to infrastructure where that is the deaf to interface.

Beyond all of that why would anybody want a UNIX based computer without strong networking capability? Ethernet and UNIX go together like chile and hot dogs.
post #49 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Retina displays would be pretty useless without an Ethernet port for many uses. I'm not sure why people don't grasp this, Ethernet is as critical as a decent GPU is to some Pro users.

And a bicycle is as critical to some people as a steak dinner. That doesn't mean that they're related in any way.

Relating Ethernet to a good GPU is just plain silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is you guys just don't understand how critical it is to have Ethernet built in. Some places demand it as part of their security policies. Others need the port to easily hook up to infrastructure where that is the deaf to interface.

Beyond all of that why would anybody want a UNIX based computer without strong networking capability? Ethernet and UNIX go together like chile and hot dogs.

Then you buy an adapter. Problem solved.

Are you still up in arms because the Mac pro doesn't have SCSI or a floppy drive or an RS232 port, too?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #50 of 92
My guess is that that the mysterious thin 15" notebook is the new MacBook Pro.
Yes, Apple might eventually release a 15" MacBook Air, but I think the Pro will appear first.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #51 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Are you still up in arms because the Mac pro doesn't have SCSI or a floppy drive or an RS232 port, too?

i don't think wizard69 was talking about those things.

and you mentioned about buying an adapter as a workaround for not having an Ethernet port. care to elaborate? i have done work at the US Department of Defense and Northrup Grumman (in Long Island, NY) a few years ago and there's no chance of anyone bringing it a portable, pocket-sized device that hasn't been approved by the security team. and, yes, smartphones, USB keys, portable storage media, et cetera all had to be relinquished to security personnel in the building lobby.
post #52 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i don't think wizard69 was talking about those things.

and you mentioned about buying an adapter as a workaround for not having an Ethernet port. care to elaborate? i have done work at the US Department of Defense and Northrup Grumman (in Long Island, NY) a few years ago and there's no chance of anyone bringing it a portable, pocket-sized device that hasn't been approved by the security team. and, yes, smartphones, USB keys, portable storage media, et cetera all had to be relinquished to security personnel in the building lobby.

Sounds like something to take up w/the purchasing department. If they order it in, then it's already at work when you get there.

Again, defense contractors are not the norm for buying a MBP. Niche of a niche is not something Apple is going to worry about.
post #53 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Sounds like something to take up w/the purchasing department. If they order it in, then it's already at work when you get there.

regardless of industry in which data security is a high priority, there will have to tangible benefits of supporting notebooks that lack an Ethernet port.

i've been keen on getting a MacBook (Pro or otherwise) a quite some time; perhaps the new Pros will make an attractive purchase, for personal use, this year.
post #54 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Correct, so if it hasn't got an ethernet port I'll not be buying a new air-like mac book pro, but instead go for an asus zenbook (A version with 1080p screen)

zenbook doesn't have an ethernet port...
anyone who would buy an ultrabook and run windows vs an Air with os x is just nuts...now if you were going to run Ubuntu then good luck and thumbs up!
post #55 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think that works great for very portable users with the MBA that also want a desktop display but I think it gets hard to swallow for every MBP user. Apple's build quality and OS X are strong but I think that could hurt Apple a bit.

I see no reason why they can't use the tapered design and still have the back sides be a little bit thicker to accommodate the typical port array. Actually, eve more ports once that ODD is gone.

Literally the only time I recall using the ethernet port on my MBP was to configure routers which required a wired connection for security or only had console port for configuration. That is the thing about routers - you can't really bring a desktop out to the datacenter. If it is going to be 'Pro' it needs both ethernet and ODD, IMO.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #56 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

zenbook doesn't have an ethernet port...
anyone who would buy an ultrabook and run windows vs an Air with os x is just nuts...now if you were going to run Ubuntu then good luck and thumbs up!

Good point.

I just assumed that mausz knew what he was talking about so I didn't check, but it looks like he's just a troll.

Instead of a MBP with thunderbolt-ethernet or USB-ethernet, he'd choose a silly little netbook with far less processing power, an inferior screen AND a USB-ethernet adapter.

ROTFLMAO.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #57 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

regardless of industry in which data security is a high priority, there will have to tangible benefits of supporting notebooks that lack an Ethernet port.

i've been keen on getting a MacBook (Pro or otherwise) a quite some time; perhaps the new Pros will make an attractive purchase, for personal use, this year.

a thinner version of the current pro with good processing power is good enough for me. a current pro w quad core is very good as is anyway.
post #58 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Literally the only time I recall using the ethernet port on my MBP was to configure routers which required a wired connection for security or only had console port for configuration. That is the thing about routers - you can't really bring a desktop out to the datacenter. If it is going to be 'Pro' it needs both ethernet and ODD, IMO.

a lot of IT, especially network gurus are stuck with nasty machines cuz they need ethernet ports and worse...serial.
post #59 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Good point.

I just assumed that mausz knew what he was talking about so I didn't check, but it looks like he's just a troll.

Instead of a MBP with thunderbolt-ethernet or USB-ethernet, he'd choose a silly little netbook with far less processing power, an inferior screen AND a USB-ethernet adapter.

ROTFLMAO.

i had high hopes for the Asus Zenbook as a great Ubuntu machine...sadly the zenbook had too many issues even with Windows much less a linux distro. Although asus is releasing an updated zenbook to deal with problems they provided (ha) linux still has a hard time with touch/gesture pads and power management (supposedly kernel 3.2+ will have some of this worked out but i ain't holding my breath)

plus Asus and a LOT of the other companies are f****** terrible about showing off some 'super, amazing, innovative' product that shows up a YEAR later and buggy)
post #60 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is you guys just don't understand how critical it is to have Ethernet built in. Some places demand it as part of their security policies. Others need the port to easily hook up to infrastructure where that is the deaf to interface.

Beyond all of that why would anybody want a UNIX based computer without strong networking capability? Ethernet and UNIX go together like chile and hot dogs.

hot dogs are big in Chile?

he he.
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

a lot of IT, especially network gurus are stuck with nasty machines cuz they need ethernet ports and worse...serial.

Yeah. I used to have Fedora Core and Windows running on two different Sony Vaio laptops just because sometimes you needed Unix and sometimes Windows for Remote Desktop. Thankfully most modern network equipment bailed on DB9 pin serial. At least I don't run across it any longer. I put Team Viewer on the Win boxes and use mostly ssh or occasionally vnc for the Linux boxes so the MBP works well but you do need the ethernet. Whether the thunderbolt to ethernet or USB to ethernet converters work with ethernet to serial cross over console cables from Cisco, I do not know.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #62 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

a thinner version of the current pro with good processing power is good enough for me. a current pro w quad core is very good as is anyway.

for my personal use, i'm more interested in what the GPU delivers. i'll have to wait and see what Apple does with the MacBook Pro refresh.
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I disagree with you about the ports being necessary on the laptop and also that the Thunderbolt Display is not the best way to go, but I agree about how easy it would be to have a regular selection of ports on the laptop if they so desired.

Even if this new laptop was only an eighth of an inch thicker than the 11" Air, there would be room for Ethernet and Ethernet is the tallest port of all.

I believe they will have an ethernet port and here why. Education. When I was teaching on campus an ethernet port was an absolute necessity because the campus is too large and spread out to have wireless everywhere. You need to tie into the school's main computer network and there was several ethernet ports wired on most wall.

It's been awhile since I was on a campus but I'm sure many campuses have not yet gone all wireless. Besides, the wires are already there and the school's budgets have been cut so I suppose IT would abandon the wired network only kicking and screaming. Apple is big into education and I believe they will keep the port on the MBPs awhile longer since it's the computer of choice with many teachers.
post #64 of 92
So Apple is going to launch Ivy Bridge CPUs and chipsets before Intel's original launch date, which has now been delayed by three weeks?

I just had an Intel rep tell me this morning that Ivy Bridge has been delayed until June, with a Lenovo rep sitting right next to him. Either Apple has quite the sweetheart deal with Intel, or this rumor's timeframe is garbage.
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then you buy an adapter. Problem solved.

Are you still up in arms because the Mac pro doesn't have SCSI or a floppy drive or an RS232 port, too?

I mean do you seriously believe your comment warrants a reply? Ok, you are one of the people here with the arch apologists hat, but even to the extent of lowering the discussion down to this level?
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShedFred View Post

So Apple is going to launch Ivy Bridge CPUs and chipsets before Intel's original launch date, which has now been delayed by three weeks?

I just had an Intel rep tell me this morning that Ivy Bridge has been delayed until June, with a Lenovo rep sitting right next to him. Either Apple has quite the sweetheart deal with Intel, or this rumor's timeframe is garbage.

i think apple got (gets) special treatment. didnt they have head start on all the components in the original mac air?
post #67 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


An example is the App store. It is wonderful that Apple provides a curated store for those who want to buy in a safe environment. But there could be people who want a broader range of choices, albeit with the requirement that they use discretion as to whether they trust the source of the software. Apple will not let those sorts of people choose what they want. It is either buy at the App store, or don't. Why can't apple provide a curated App store, but also allow the tech savvy to download and install from third-party sources?

You're obviously no fan of Apple. Why do you stay on an Apple forum? Do you enjoy trolling here? You're always bad-mouthing Apple. You do have a choice. You can leave the Apple ecosystem and hopefully this forum too. And it's total troll bull crap that you can't buy and install any Mac software from some place outside the Mac App Store, unless the developer NOT Apple prefers to sell his product only in the store.

I can't believe the regular forum members allowed him to get away with such a blatant lie that I bolded above.
post #68 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Until they realize they've lost a large developer base and the entire pro market.

At one time I would have agreed with you on this. But today the iMac serves the developer just fine and most of the creative professionals outside of the film industry who left quite some time ago. In any case I believe the iMacs are more powerful today than the Mac Pros yesterday.
post #69 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Thursday's newest take said the new 15-inch MacBook Pros will be powered by Core i5 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge processors. That would be a change from the existing Sandy Bridge-based MacBook Pros, as both 15-inch models feature high-end Core i7 processors, while an Intel Core i5 CPU is found in the entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro.

There probably won't be processors for the 13" model until June so it makes sense to update the 15" ones first. This move would however leave the 13" MBP with an optical unit, which messes up the marketing because you'd have to be proclaiming why there's no optical drive in the MBP while continuing to sell a MBP with an optical drive.

My guess would therefore be that they will introduce a $1499 15" Macbook Pro with a dual-core i5 and Intel's HD 4000 graphics and discontinue the 13" Macbook Pro given that the 13" Air exists at $1299 (this can simply be lowered by $100).

I'd say scrap ethernet and FW800 as it's going to have USB 3 and Apple should ship their own USB 3 to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor for $29 on the BTO page.

4 x USB 3
2 x Thunderbolt

I think they have to go with SSD but there's no way they can ship a $1499 MBP with 128GB and no other internal storage. 128GB boot disc + 500GB HDD would be fine though.
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Are you still up in arms because the Mac pro doesn't have SCSI or a floppy drive or an RS232 port, too?

Actually, we still use RS232 in our industry every single day. It's doesn't look like it's going away any time soon either. Only legacy equipment can be accessed with RS232 only, but it's not like it's obsolete or anything.

I do not expect current laptops to sport a serial port though.
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I mean do you seriously believe your comment warrants a reply? Ok, you are one of the people here with the arch apologists hat, but even to the extent of lowering the discussion down to this level?

So that's supposed to be your answer? In other words, you think it's OK that some mindless troll argues that if the next MBP doesn't have ethernet that he'll buy an Asus ultra book without ethernet instead? And you think that a professional who has thousands (more like tens of thousands) of dollars and years of his time invested in the Mac is going to drop the MBP because he has to buy an Ethernet adapter?

Seems to me that the ones lowering the discussion are people like you who argue such ridiculous positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i think apple got (gets) special treatment. didnt they have head start on all the components in the original mac air?

They have had lead time in the past some times. In some cases (like the Mac Pro), it seems that they got advance chips because their volume was small enough that Intel could manage it before they were running at full speed while Dell and HP would have needed too many chips. In other cases (MacBook Air), Apple seems to have been the only one at the time wanting to buy the particular chip, so they probably negotiated a deal.

There's no way of knowing (until a release) if they get a head start on Ivy Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I believe they will have an ethernet port and here why. Education. When I was teaching on campus an ethernet port was an absolute necessity because the campus is too large and spread out to have wireless everywhere. You need to tie into the school's main computer network and there was several ethernet ports wired on most wall.

It's been awhile since I was on a campus but I'm sure many campuses have not yet gone all wireless. Besides, the wires are already there and the school's budgets have been cut so I suppose IT would abandon the wired network only kicking and screaming. Apple is big into education and I believe they will keep the port on the MBPs awhile longer since it's the computer of choice with many teachers.

ROTFLMAO. So in your expert opinion, it's easier to run Ethernet cables all over your campus than WiFI? That is, of course, absurd. Even my relatively poor middle school has WiFi covering the entire campus. There can't be very many schools that don't have it already.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #72 of 92
I can see them drooping the "Air" and "Pro" monicker and justing going back to -

Introducing the new MacBooks.

2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #73 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd say scrap ethernet and FW800 as it's going to have USB 3 and Apple should ship their own USB 3 to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor for $29 on the BTO page.

4 x USB 3
2 x Thunderbolt

Ha! You'll be lucky to get that many ports on a new Mac Pro. Whatever the new MBP form factor is, it'll have half that many ports.
post #74 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem is you guys just don't understand how critical it is to have Ethernet built in. Some places demand it as part of their security policies. Others need the port to easily hook up to infrastructure where that is the deaf to interface.

Beyond all of that why would anybody want a UNIX based computer without strong networking capability? Ethernet and UNIX go together like chile and hot dogs.

Relax I was just throwing it back to the troll ZZZ saying it's a deal breaker. Of course I believe that Apple won't ax the ethernet port for reason I mentioned above. It's just a rumor. No one here knows what Apple will do. But I'm sure they did the research and found many need it just like you and there will be a port or a workable solution.
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i don't think wizard69 was talking about those things.

and you mentioned about buying an adapter as a workaround for not having an Ethernet port. care to elaborate? i have done work at the US Department of Defense and Northrup Grumman (in Long Island, NY) a few years ago and there's no chance of anyone bringing it a portable, pocket-sized device that hasn't been approved by the security team. and, yes, smartphones, USB keys, portable storage media, et cetera all had to be relinquished to security personnel in the building lobby.

So maybe the company will supply the adapter behind the iron curtain.
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So that's supposed to be your answer? In other words, you think it's OK that some mindless troll argues that if the next MBP doesn't have ethernet that he'll buy an Asus ultra book without ethernet instead?

No I think you made a fair point by comparing the mbp without ethernet to the mac pro without scsi, floppy and RS232.
post #77 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Why is this such a hard concept for people to understand? Not everyone works in a location blanketed by high speed wifi. Some people have to connect to secure networks. Dongles suck. A retina display doesn't do squat when you can't get to your data.

Apple products gained so much ground over the last decade because they were able to impress both the barristas at starbucks and technical people who value performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Retina displays would be pretty useless without an Ethernet port for many uses. I'm not sure why people don't grasp this, Ethernet is as critical as a decent GPU is to some Pro users.

I certainly don't disagree that ethernet is a port interface like a display that still has to be included on PCs even though most never use it. My query to the OP was them buying an Asus over a MBP based solely on this exclusion when there are plenty of other options that could keep them wired while maintaining an OS and build quality they might prefer. For me, if that was something I needed I would...
  1. Consider the dongle. If I needed it at work or home I might have two just so I didn't have to lug it around but I'd think chances are it's just one. If I had to carry it with me not a deal breaker, especially if they add USB3.0 and the dongle woks at 1000BASE-T speeds.

  2. Get the older MBP. My single biggest requirement is I prefer Macs in their HW and OS. Now Win7 is actually really good for Windows and I like Asus build quality and battery life for notebooks but neither compare to a Mac.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Ha! You'll be lucky to get that many ports on a new Mac Pro. Whatever the new MBP form factor is, it'll have half that many ports.

Possibly, but if you start consolidating ports you do have to give some leeway to those that might use ethernet, FW, and a couple USB at once. They'd certainly fit once you scrap that ODD.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #78 of 92
Quote:
I believe they will have an ethernet port and here why. Education. When I was teaching on campus an ethernet port was an absolute necessity because the campus is too large and spread out to have wireless everywhere. You need to tie into the school's main computer network and there was several ethernet ports wired on most wall.

It's been awhile since I was on a campus but I'm sure many campuses have not yet gone all wireless. Besides, the wires are already there and the school's budgets have been cut so I suppose IT would abandon the wired network only kicking and screaming. Apple is big into education and I believe they will keep the port on the MBPs awhile longer since it's the computer of choice with many teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

ROTFLMAO. So in your expert opinion, it's easier to run Ethernet cables all over your campus than WiFI? That is, of course, absurd. Even my relatively poor middle school has WiFi covering the entire campus. There can't be very many schools that don't have it already.

Hey buddy don't put words in my mouth. I said the campus was already wired for ethernet. And I said they might not have wireless everywhere, not that they didn't have it. You have a problem with reading comprehension?
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

So maybe the company will supply the adapter behind the iron curtain

it's not that simple. a business case will have to made to support notebooks without Ethernet connectivity. and, most likely, a security audit conducted to see whether it's worthwhile.
post #80 of 92
Ethernet is important to me as my MacBookPro is my main work machine and it would be a PIA to use wireless (It's not uncommon for me to be moving a couple of hundred GB a day around the network - I'm an admin at a publishing company). It wouldn't bother me using an adaptor as long as it delivered full speed. Mind you, I still want to be able to use TB port for other stuff without having to buy an Apple display (we use Eizo)

Other than that, SSD, lighter and I don't need an ODD. And I don't care what they call it - Pro, Air, who cares?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's thinner 15-inch MacBook Pro rumored to debut in April with Ivy Bridge i5, i7 CPUs