or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch

Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch

post #1 of 85
Protestors looking to steal a bit of Apple's iPad launch day thunder are preparing to hold demonstrations at various Apple Store locations on Friday in hopes of spreading awareness about the labor conditions in the Chinese factories making the device.

Instead of asking for broad third-party supplier labor reforms, investigations, and "an ethical iPhone, Change.org campaigners will take to Apple retail outlets on Friday in for Apple to build "an ethical iPad," reports GigaOM.

The protestors, lead by organizer Mark Shields, will take advantage of the hype surrounding the new iPad's launch and hold multi-store demonstrations when retail locations open at 8 a.m. in Washington, D.C., New York City and San Francisco.

Despite Apple's continuing efforts toward bettering labor conditions in its contracted factories in China, Shields says that more can be done.

“It’s great to see Apple taking important steps like the factory audit this month, and pay raises for the factory workers,” Shields said. “But Apple hasn’t crossed the finish line yet. New product releases, like the iPad 3 this week, have typically been the most dangerous for workers because of the incredible pressure they are under to meet release production deadlines.”

Shields' online petition asking for the protection of Chinese factory workers has gathered over 251,000 signatures, and has sparked a media blitz regarding the conditions under which Apple products are made. The movement first gained momentum when a pair of New York Times reports investigated major Chinese electronics builder Foxconn, which is a major Apple contractor, over alleged worker abuse.

Mark Shields (left) speaking with reporters outside an Apple Store over labor concerns. | Source: The Washington Post

Despite Foxconn's impressive client list of electronic heavyweights that include Microsoft, HP and Sony, the burden of guilt has been placed squarely on Apple by Change.org and SumOfUs.org.

In response to the mounting criticism, Apple asked the Fair Labor Association to conduct an inspection of its third-party suppliers in Asia. Although the FLA noted that Foxconn's factories were "first class," the auditors did find that many issues needed to be resolved. Workers at the factory later claimed that Foxconn hid underage workers from inspectors in order to avoid scrutiny.

In Apple's annual supplier code of conduct, employees may be aged 16 to 18 years old if they can legally work, though special restrictions limit the type and amount of work they perform.

Most recently, it was reported that Apple allegedly conducted an inspection of an iPad factory run by Chinese company Pegatron immediately before a blast occurred that injured 61 people. The claim brings into question whether Apple's audits are effective in stopping workplace accidents.

The planned Friday protests follow a series of demonstrations in February, though the high turnout for the iPad launch is expected to bring a larger media presence for Change.org to exploit.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 85
Wonder who sponsors them. Is it Googorola?
post #3 of 85
Nothing is forcing these Chinese workers to keep their jobs. They are allowed to take whatever job they are qualified for. Maybe these protestors should visit the factories where the workers work on dirt floors with no food breaks to make the cheap crap you buy at Walmart. Where's the outrage over that?
post #4 of 85
I keep forgetting that Apple has the only products that are made in China.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #5 of 85
If that had a Like button I would click it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

post #6 of 85
idiots.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #7 of 85
When you are as big as Apple you are going to be used for this purpose. And Apple indeed needs to maintain public trust, so I think so far they have been making all the right moves. But this is here to stay.
post #8 of 85
What more do these people want? Apple has already gone above and beyond.
Andrew
Andrew
post #9 of 85
That guy is wearing a nice coat and scarf that probably cost more than a month wages for the Chinese workers who made it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #10 of 85
Why not go after the source, the government of China? If you really want to right wrongs, start there. Oh, that's right, they're too mean and inscrutible. That job is too h-a-a-a-r-r-r-d. Easier to go after the low hanging fruit and make Apple pay for the wrongs of others.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #11 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Protestors looking to steal a bit of Apple's iPad launch day thunder are preparing to hold demonstrations at various Apple Store locations on Friday in hopes of spreading awareness about the labor conditions in the Chinese factories making the device.

Good for them. Nothing will change unless proper publicity is given to the situation.

I hope that they expand their efforts to the other electronics giants as well.
post #12 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That guy is wearing a nice coat and scarf that probably cost more than a month wages for the Chinese workers who made it.

Exactly. Meanwhile anyone betting the date AAPL passes GOOG share price? Meaningless I know but entertaining ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #13 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Exactly. Meanwhile anyone betting the date AAPL passes GOOG share price? Meaningless I know but entertaining ...

Sort of like hanging around a Walmart at midnight, seeing who might actually show up to buy an iPad there.

Because, you know, the Apple products that Walmart sells are the only items made in China!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #14 of 85
get a job hippie
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #15 of 85
You do realize that these workers without jobs provided by our manufacturing orders would be expelled from the cities and have to go back to living in their stone cave's and burning dung for fuel.
post #16 of 85
Actually, this guy should be protesting over at Foxconn's headquarters. Oh wait, Apple is an easier target, let's guilt trip them into fixing the alleged problems.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 85
So many stories from these groups.

Also see conflicting articles such as this one that came out today on The Street:

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...hat-wasnt.html
post #18 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by neillwd View Post

You do realize that these workers without jobs provided by our manufacturing orders would be expelled from the cities and have to go back to living in their stone cave's and burning dung for fuel.

Is that the only alternative to better working conditions?
post #19 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Wal-Mart agrees. Apple is alone in being evil supporters of Chinese manufacturing.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #20 of 85
What a bunch of ignorant morons.

What's the difference between these lunatics and the Westboro Church protesters? Not much I'd say. They're both shameless publicity whores and delusional radicals who go around spreading their extremely offensive and braindead ideas.

Hopefully the police will come and arrest them for being a public nuisance, disturbing the peace and for holding an illegal protest if they lack all of the necessary permits. Luckily for them, I won't be waiting in any Apple store line tomorrow, because I don't take too kindly to any dipshits.
post #21 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They actually have better working conditions than the rest of the manufacturing sector in China.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #22 of 85
Quote:

Exactly. If he were wearing a woven hemp rag and looked a bit disheveled, I could maybe see that. However, when you dress like that...maybe you could do more too. More than just sit on the sidelines (and from how he dresses...probably drove to the sidelines in style too...but thats speculation...maybe he showed up in a rusty '91 Ford Festiva...who knows) and cry foul cause you want to make some kind of socio-ethical statement and pretend that you're doing something good for mankind.

Its the whole material-centric attitude that he's going after. We want want want and since we want lots of iPads and we want them now...its a lot of pressure for the Chinese that produce them. I get that. But you can't show up to a protest looking like that and spout that kind of message when you're trying to dress like something out of an Express or Abercrombie & Fitch catalog.

Get over yourself, Mr. Shields.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

Samsung Galaxy series: Faster on a benchmark, not in your hand.

post #23 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

No, it's not the only alternative, but it's also not solely Apple's job to come up with other alternatives.

It's never the underdog that gets picked on, so, while the sales of Dell and HP, to name a few, are nowhere near Apple's, they're all laughing their asses off because they're flying under the radar.
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #24 of 85
It's like these people forget that these people working in these factories are literally carrying their families with their income. It's like people saying "don't buy rugs from India." What? why not? These people work their butts off, DESPITE the conditions, to support their families. Apple is doing the most good for the workers over there. I mean, my goodness. Wasn't there like, a few HUGE audits over there as well as news coverage that clearly states that the workers are really not in a bad situation?

These people are much lower than the people they are attacking. Just loving that free press. "look at my nice hair and shaved face and nice scarf." Douche bags.
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #25 of 85
I think they should go after Dell. What a bunch of stupid Wall street occupiers. Maybe they are all mad because they bought a Xoom based on specs.
post #26 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a bunch of ignorant morons.

What's the difference between these lunatics and the Westboro Church protesters? Not much I'd say. They're both shameless publicity whores and delusional radicals who go around spreading their extremely offensive and braindead ideas.

Hopefully the police will come and arrest them for being a public nuisance, disturbing the peace and for holding an illegal protest if they lack all of the necessary permits. Luckily for them, I won't be waiting in any Apple store line tomorrow, because I don't take too kindly to any dipshits.

Don't you know any other tunes? Invest in a thesaurus, maybe you'll sound a little more civil and mature.
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
post #27 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Please, folks. If you see these people try to politely express your difference of opinion. We don't need to give them any free publicity with an "incident".
post #28 of 85
Quote:

/thread

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

post #29 of 85
This douche bag is on par with Martha Burke who tried to bully Augusta National Golf Club a few years back.

Attention seeking whore.

So was Martha.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #30 of 85
Glom onto the coverage of a great product release to get some free publicity. No surprise here.
post #31 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

This douche bag is on par with Martha Burke who tried to bully Augusta National Golf Club a few years back.

Attention seeking whore.

So was Martha.

Wow. You and Rush, huh?
Classy.
post #32 of 85
Good luck to them. Clearly their campaign is working given the amount of time and effort Apple is putting in to change things at Foxconn.
post #33 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

No, it's not the only alternative, but it's also not solely Apple's job to come up with other alternatives.

It's never the underdog that gets picked on, so, while the sales of Dell and HP, to name a few, are nowhere near Apple's, they're all laughing their asses off because they're flying under the radar.

IMO, the entire industry needs scrutiny. Start with Apple, and then expand once people start to notice.
post #34 of 85
These people need to go picket Dell, Microsoft and every other tech company because all of them including the asian tech giants like sony, samsung, LG, Sharp and dozens of others use foxconn.
They also need to get a life. No company in the industry is doing more than apple. In fact no company in the industry is doing anything BUT Apple.

Work on the companies that are not trying instead of defaming the ONE that IS.
post #35 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Wow. You and Rush, huh?
Classy.

not following your lack of logic one little tiny bit.

post #36 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Attention seeking whore.

So was Martha.

Go away. You're embarrassing your kind.
post #37 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsismx View Post

that guy is wearing a nice coat and scarf that probably cost more than a month wages for the chinese workers who made it.

++++1.
post #38 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Good luck to them. Clearly their campaign is working given the amount of time and effort Apple is putting in to change things at Foxconn.

Apple was doing something long before these morons even had a voice. Apple is not reacting to there protests, they Signed up for the inspections and were looking into factory conditions long before any of these dorks even started thinking of protesting. They can't even get there facts right they even said it was an apple factory the mass suicides were threatened at, it wasn't it was a foxconn factory building Xboxes. Where are the protests agains Microsoft? Last time I looked Microsoft was a 262 billion market cap company they could afford to DO SOMETHING TOO.
post #39 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsismx
that guy is wearing a nice coat and scarf that probably cost more than a month wages for the chinese workers who made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

++++1.

Lol Exactly.
post #40 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Nothing is forcing these Chinese workers to keep their jobs. They are allowed to take whatever job they are qualified for. Maybe these protestors should visit the factories where the workers work on dirt floors with no food breaks to make the cheap crap you buy at Walmart. Where's the outrage over that?

or what about the other clients at Foxconn. How many fires and explosions have they had. what happened after the 100 workers building X box units threatened to jump off that roof.

Apple is only one of some 70 clients that have products built at Foxconn factories. Who is starting petitions for the other 69 groups. Who is demonstrating for them. etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch