or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch

Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch - Page 3

post #81 of 85
Why is the focus on Apple? Doesn't Foxconn employ these people? Where is the Chinese government on this issue? Apple treats their direct employees great and is one of the best companies to work for so I am not understanding this. The issue is not Apples to control. The workers are not employed by Apple.

The same liberals that think the US defense should mind their own business internationally seem to think that US companies should act as a union for the Chinese workers abroad. Why do they stand at a distance, uneducated about how to make an ipad, and complain to the wrong company about change? GO TO CHINA... TALK TO FOXCONN... Figure out ways to contribute to a better solution than ways to complain and take from those that perform.

Apple succeeded over Microsoft by innovating and coming up with a better solution, not by complaining to Microsoft that it's not fair. Shouldn't these same prinicipals apply to those complaining outside of Apples's stores today?

Maybe attention is what they are really after. Complaining never once moved me ahead.
post #82 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylab View Post

Seems reasonable. I wonder when Europeans will protest the terrible work conditions of the people making products in -- America?

The problem with setting standards on others is whose base you use -- yours or theirs!

Good point and you can also argue that the standards are sometimes too high, Greek retirement age for example. From personal experience I am convinced that selective child labor is actually a good thing as long as it doesn't interfere with education. I was raised on a farm and by the time I was 8 I was working up to 8 hours a day. Hard childhood work is a great motivator for getting an education and improving one self. The majority of kids in the US today could use that motivation.
post #83 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why don't you prove that you're not a hypocrite. Show us that you spend equal amounts of time attacking Samsung, Dell, HP, Microsoft, and virtually every other global manufacturer for the same thing? In fact, since Apple does a demonstrably better job than the rest, you should be spending MORE time attacking the others - yet here you are singling Apple out for attack.

Why are you wasting your time? Let me tell you what people say whenever it is put forward that dozens of other companies have their stuff made in the same "terrible working conditions."

They say that Apple has the resources to eat the cost so they should take the lead. Essentially, they're saying that Apple has the resources to do better, so they should do better. Others don't have the resources to do better.

They don't understand that it's not so simple as just throwing some money at building a new factory. Over the long term, competitors will squeeze Apple's margins. And people who say that they'd pay more for something made in the US are BSing. Consumers won't think twice about buying a cheaper product to save money. And that's what will happen.

Before, the argument for Mac vs. PC used to be, "You're paying double the cost for the same piece of hardware just to get an Apple logo on it."

If iPads were made in the USA, the argument will be, "You're paying more for the same piece of hardware just to have three measly words stamped on the back of it."
post #84 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Had a night mare last night. People trying to kill me. My VA Doctor has me going to a PTSD class. I have tried so hard to get better but I cant get the violence out of my head. I over dosed in November and spent time in the hospital. It messed up my mind and my liver. I don't have many people I can talk to about my feelings. I am sorry if this bothers all of you. What does this have to do with Apple Insider? I want to go on the record that Apple Products help me with my suicide and depression. Allot of you here have been nice to me and shown compassion. Thanks.

Terribly sorry, old boy. See if there's any PTSD support groups in your area, they may be able to help.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #85 of 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Perhaps the quickest thing that can be done for these workers is to give them more money! "

How about letting a competitive, free market (if there is even the slightest idea of what a 'free market' is anymore) decide what wages should be?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Labor protestors plan demonstrations for iPad launch