or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display - Page 2

post #41 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

Sell it like you did your ipad 2... I don't know why you bought it. You said your $99 touchpad is more usable anyway.
post #42 of 303
Got my 32/ Verizon/ Black model in this afternoon. I love the screen, it's absolutely amazing. Text is phenomenal. However, the weight increase is definitely noticeable to me. Very pleased with it so far but the weight is a bit irritating.

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

Reply

15" MB Pro Early 2011 (2.0 i7 8GB RAM 240 SSD); ATV 3; iPad 3 (32GB, VZW Black); iPhone 4S (16GB AT&T Black); Airport Extreme (2011)

Reply
post #43 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

In terms of raw CPU power, it's not any different really, as the CPU is about the same and it's the graphics that got a bump up to Quad Core. This new iPad is all about the display.

It sounds like you should just get an iPad2, if the display is not a big deal to you.

As for me, yeah, I do think that it's a significant improvement. More and more apps are going to be updated for the retina display soon, and Netflix is going to begin 1080p streaming for the iPad hopefully soon. I also read alot, and having super sharp text that is print quality is a big deal for me.
post #44 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by feamster View Post

Has anyone noticed the difference in the dock conector size? I tried to plug my ipad 2 charging cable into the ipad 3 and it wouldn't fit. The ipad 3 connector looks the same but has a veru secure feel to the plugin.

I didn't notice it. My iPad 3 dock connector is still sitting in the box. I used the iPad 2 dock connector on it when I was syncing, and it fit without any problems.
post #45 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

God, you sounds like an annoyingly lifeless person. The one who sit blankly while everybody dancing and having the time of their lives.
post #46 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

God, you sounds like an annoyingly lifeless person. The one who sit blankly while everybody dancing and having the time of their lives.

What did you expect him to say? Have you read his other posts?

I'll summarize: Apple sucks!!

lol
post #47 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

12 core GPU

For real???
post #48 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Looking at the new screen, the resolution is impressive, though I'm likely to exchange mine for another one if I find the 'screen-bleed' more than I care to endure on a (near) 900.00 device (mine's a 64gb/LTE Verizon).

Another thing I'm noticing is that for those of us who have large on-device iOS app libraries is the size of these 'new iPad' optimized apps, as it's been confirmed by several sites that they can be up to 5 times larger than their predecessors. Even the recent updates to Apple's Pages app went from 95mb to 269mb, Numbers from 109mb to 283mb, and iMovie from 70mb to a whopping 404mb

One can only deduce that the more graphics-heavy gaming apps like EA's FIFA '12 (already more than 1.2gb as it stands), as well as Epic's Infinity Blade and Gameloft's Mortal Combat series (all at a gig or more all ready) are likely going to be absolutely huge downloads, presenting not only possible device storage issues, but also concerns for those who desire to update said apps while on-the-go via (data-cap limited) LTE equipped 'new iPads'.

We'll See... \

I think that the more 'traditional' apps will grow more by including 4x res graphics for buttons, icons, etc. Something like FIFA (well, 3d OpenGL apps in general) can be sharper without having to provide 4x textures. Object edges will automatically gain, anyway, and object textures are often higher res than they need to be for general gameplay because they already have enough resolution for when you're zoomed in as well.

Now if they do include higher res textures for everything else, then all bets are off and suddenly it's going to seem really strange that Apple even kept a 16GB model around, particularly when people now actually have a camera that's usable for pics and video too.

(Strange aside from keeping higher margins on the product, that is... But too bad in that case.)
post #49 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspeedy View Post

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?

Damn you! Made me laugh and choke on my lunch.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #50 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I'm really surprised you are so excited about your new iPad delivery. My new iPad also came this morning. I wasn't dancing at the door waiting for the FedEx guy so we didn't have the same jovial exchange of excitement. It was pretty boring actually.

Anyway, so I promptly opened the packaging and fired 'er up. First thing I notice during boot is that from the onset this doesn't feel much different than the iPad 2. Also, the magic of the previous iPad openings was mostly lost. It has been a few months since I sold my 2, so it was good to hold one again, but none of that "zomg this thing is sexy" feelings.

Once I got through activation (why is there activation for wifi model again?), my not-so-mind-blowing experience continued. Since I didn't have much time to play with it, I opened up Safari and loaded a page. Pretty sharp, looks good. But still, this is pretty much the same experience. Next up, took some photos and a brief video. Not impressed. No big deal, I'll never use the camera anyway.

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.

Why did you buy it?
post #51 of 303
If the Transformer can run iOS then the comparison is appropriate--

Since it can't, even 4GHZ CPU and 1000x graphics won't make a difference. It's still Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

First benchmark between the iPad and the Asus Transformer Prime:

Browsing and javascript: Very close - iPad wins one and Prime wins one. It's a tradeoff
Graphics performance: iPad's 4 core GPU demolishes the Primes 12 core GPU!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdbtiNnZzE
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #52 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspeedy View Post

I only had room for a ukulele behind my iphone 4. How did you fit a viola?

- cracked me up, that one did!
post #53 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post


Listen Tyler, please don't buy an more Apple gear until you've got yourself some decent curtains!
post #54 of 303
+1

5 chars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The Prime has a 4 core CPU and a 12 core GPU.
The iPad has a 2 core CPU and a 4 core GPU.

The Prime with all that hardware cannot keep up with the iPad....game over
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #55 of 303
This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see
post #56 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

If the Transformer can run iOS then the comparison is appropriate--

Since it can't, even 4GHZ CPU and 1000x graphics won't make a difference. It's still Android.

The other thing it left me wondering how you should take their benchmark given the lack of screen resolution information. So it's 2048x1536 vs. 1280x800?

When you get a browser benchmark that includes HTML rendering for a device with 3 times the resolution coming in about 1% slower, that's pretty good. Assuming OpenGL was running at native resolution, those 2.x to 3.x faster results are more in the 7-11x speed range, which means you could either have similar res apps with way higher effects or higher res apps with (still) better effects.

Pretty impressive. Or maybe not if they weren't both running native res? Not really clear to me, anyway.
post #57 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You guys are a bunch of show offs...

I have a feeling my FedEx guy is parked someplace drooling over my iPad.

Uh, I don't think thats drool.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #58 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Listen Tyler, please don't buy an more Apple gear until you've got yourself some decent curtains!

Since the 2 cats have already demolished my shears, the purchase of drapes will be much more involved than the iPad
post #59 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #60 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

This is a response to your post. I am also using voice dictation on my new iPad. So far so good. Today's screensaver word of the day is puce adjective of a dark red or purple brown color. The more I use my iPad the more I falling in love with it.
post #61 of 303
Gadgets by themselves can't make anybody happy. YOU make yourself happy.

But there lies the problem isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

So after checking out all of the new features, I was left feeling kind of meh about it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the better display, but I am left feeling disappointed. The magic is gone from my previous experiences.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #62 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?

at the end of each sentence, I manually say "period". if there was no question mark, it's because I didn't say the word.


I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple.

I'm connected to the Internet now, so I'm not sure if it works wirelessly or not. It seemed to be very quick and responsive, but I'm not sure yet.
post #63 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrclight View Post

Any insight as to whether cases from iPad 2 fit well for the new one?


Mine fits.
post #64 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

at the end of each sentence, I manually say "period". if there was no question mark, it's because I didn't say the word.


I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple.

"New Paragraph"
"New Line"
post #65 of 303
Gaaagus....

I got mine about 1/2 hour ago... the Fedex delivery guy said he had about 30 on his truck and they had 1,600 in the Fedex depot in Pacheco CA -- SF East Bay.

The dictation is fantastic!

I noticed you can use the new iPad while it is syncing apps -- a great feature since it takes a couple of hours to sync the 603 apps I had on my iPad 2.

Rear camera is significantly better!

No problems with connector cable!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #66 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


I still haven't figured out how to make it jump to the next line, like enter or return, but I'm sure that's something simple

Paragraph?
post #67 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

"New Paragraph"
"New Line"

That's great, thanks for the info.
post #68 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is just a little test. I'm testing out the new dictation feature on the new iPad. I'm not doing any auto correction now and I'm not going to fix any mistakes. I'm just speaking pretty freely and pretty fast because that's how I fucking speak okay. So far this dictation feature seems to work pretty good. I also tried it with my friend earlier on Skype in the chat box and it works really well. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moron who was suing Apple for Siri is a complete fucking retard and the guy obviously has some severe speech defects. not a single word in this post is being typed or corrected. Everything you hear is coming directly from my fucking mouth. I have now been this test to be successful in this post is now completed see

Fucking fantastic. The fucking thing really does work I'm doing the same thing and it actally is understanding what I say. It even seems to understand the word bollocks.
post #69 of 303
The dictation was even able to spell out correctly my 10 letter Polish last name- I'm guessing because my name is already in the device somewhere. Interesting!
post #70 of 303
Don't know if you have seen this (from TUAW}:

New iPad Adoption Rate
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #71 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy V View Post

The article states "The box and packaging for the new iPad is largely the same as its predecessor. In fact, the biggest change is a silver iCloud logo on the bottom of the box, opposite the silver Apple logo displayed on the other side."

Sorry, but the silver iCloud logo was also on the box of the iPad 2. The store where I work as an Apple-Certified Macintosh Technician still has iPad 2's in stock, and I'm looking at one right now. They had the logo there as soon as iOS 5.0 first came out.

It's hideous. It reminds me of an XBox...Box.
post #72 of 303
Does anyone here use Zaggkeys solo?

I just wanted to know if this accessory will work with the new iPad. ZAGG ain't fessing up since they want people to fork $99 for the folio version.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #73 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

Mine fits.

Which case do you have? I'm looking for a case preferably one with a clear backing.
post #74 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by feamster View Post

Has anyone noticed the difference in the dock conector size? I tried to plug my ipad 2 charging cable into the ipad 3 and it wouldn't fit. The ipad 3 connector looks the same but has a very secure feel to the plugin.

Same size, just usually snug. It will loosen over time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Since the 2 cats have already demolished my shears, the purchase of drapes will be much more involved than the iPad

I was going note the cats as being an issue.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #75 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The Prime has a 4 core CPU and a 12 core GPU.
The iPad has a 2 core CPU and a 4 core GPU.

The Prime with all that hardware cannot keep up with the iPad....game over

iPad vs Android tablets:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165...ame_over_.html


They aren't even on par with the iPad 2.
post #76 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Which case do you have? I'm looking for a case preferably one with a clear backing.

I have a folio case, perfect fit.

Does anyone else think the sound output is louder?
post #77 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see AppleInsider invest in a nice photo studio setup. Grainy pictures on the glass coffee table just aren't good enough for this site.

Yes... grainy pictures on a wooden coffee table would be much better

Or, a more natural setting... say the throne room
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #78 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

^ That goes against the "insider" name. Blurry cam effects makes you more legitimate.

We "pros" call that FOV
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #79 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Interesting. It ended the sentences properly, but it didn't capitalize the beginning word of one? And I see that it doesn't quite understand question marks yet, but I'm sure you can manually vocalize them in.

All in all, exactly what I'd expect from Nuance software. Does it require an Internet connection to work?

Maybe because Mr. Narcissist started almost every sentence with a I or I'm.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #80 of 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrclight View Post

Any insight as to whether cases from iPad 2 fit well for the new one?


I purchased the iPad 3 with a new case, just in case there was an update. My iPad 2 case works perfectly on the new iPad. In fact, they are interchangeable so I'm assuming Apple hasn't modified the cases for the new iPads even though I read somewhere that there were slight adjustments to the internal magnets.

I can't tell any difference between the two cases.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › First look: Apple's new third-generation iPad with Retina display