or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Media: Everything Kills You
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Media: Everything Kills You

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Well, I've finally had enough after reading that "white rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes.

Quote:
"What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations," Qi Sun of the Harvard School of Public Health told AFP.
"But at the same time people should pay close attention to the other things they eat.

Wait...is there a Type 2 Diabetes epidemic among the Asian population? Are they really supposed to avoid a staple of their diet...a food that has widely been acknowledge to contribute to Asians' lower rates of obesity? The story doesn't even make sense.

Each day we're told that something killing us. First it's trans fat. Then it's carbs. Then it's regular old fat. Then it's contaminated cucumbers. Lack of water. Too much water. Sugar. Caramel coloring. White flour. Beef. Chicken. Dairy products. Raw veggies. ENOUGH.

You know what? It's all crap. All of it. There are only a few secrets to helping avoid most of these diseases, and we all know what they are already:

1) Try to eat healthy most of time. Limit fats, sugars and processed/pre-prepared food as much as possible.

2) Exercise consistently. Walk, run, bike, swim, hike...whatever.


That's it. It's not complicated. I'd be interested to read whether or not you've had enough of the media's What's Killing Us Now meme.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 39
The mainstream media is the propaganda wing of government (regardless of which party is in power). They would have us believe everything is killing us and must be regulated, controlled, or eliminated by government to save us from ourselves.

This is true of food, foreign policy, guns - you name it. The State exists for one purpose: to perpetuate its existence and grow its power by whatever means possible.

All that is required is that people remain complacent and compliant.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

The mainstream media is the propaganda wing of government (regardless of which party is in power). They would have us believe everything is killing us and must be regulated, controlled, or eliminated by government to save us from ourselves.

This is true of food, foreign policy, guns - you name it. The State exists for one purpose: to perpetuate its existence and grow its power by whatever means possible.

All that is required is that people remain complacent and compliant.

Excellent comments. I couldn't agree more.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 39
"Pink slime -- that ammonia-treated meat in a bright Pepto-bismol shade -- may have been rejected by fast food joints like McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King, but is being brought in by the tons for the nation's school lunch program.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is purchasing 7 million pounds of the "slime" for school lunches, The Daily reports. Officially termed "Lean Beef Trimmings," the product is a ground-up combination of beef scraps, cow connective tissues and other beef trimmings that are treated with ammonium hydroxide to kill pathogens like salmonella and E. coli. It's then blended into traditional meat products like ground beef and hamburger patties.
"We originally called it soylent pink," microbiologist Carl Custer, who worked at the Food Safety Inspection Service for 35 years, told The Daily. "We looked at the product and we objected to it because it used connective tissues instead of muscle. It was simply not nutritionally equivalent [to ground beef]. My main objection was that it was not meat."
Custer and microbiologist Gerald Zernstein concluded in a study that the trimmings are a "high risk product," but Zernstein tells The Daily that "scientists in D.C. were pressured to approve this stuff with minimal safety approval" under President George H.W. Bush's administration. The USDA asserts that its ground beef purchases "meet the highest standard for food safety."
Controversy surrounding "pink slime" stems from various safety concerns, particularly dangers associated with ammonium hydroxide, which can both be harmful to eat and has potential to turn into ammonium nitrate -- a common component in homemade bombs, according to MSNBC. It's also used in household cleaners and fertilizers."
~ huffpo

There's more to this story, but I'm out and busy.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

"Pink slime -- that ammonia-treated meat in a bright Pepto-bismol shade -- may have been rejected by fast food joints like McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King, but is being brought in by the tons for the nation's school lunch program.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is purchasing 7 million pounds of the "slime" for school lunches, The Daily reports. Officially termed "Lean Beef Trimmings," the product is a ground-up combination of beef scraps, cow connective tissues and other beef trimmings that are treated with ammonium hydroxide to kill pathogens like salmonella and E. coli. It's then blended into traditional meat products like ground beef and hamburger patties.
"We originally called it soylent pink," microbiologist Carl Custer, who worked at the Food Safety Inspection Service for 35 years, told The Daily. "We looked at the product and we objected to it because it used connective tissues instead of muscle. It was simply not nutritionally equivalent [to ground beef]. My main objection was that it was not meat."
Custer and microbiologist Gerald Zernstein concluded in a study that the trimmings are a "high risk product," but Zernstein tells The Daily that "scientists in D.C. were pressured to approve this stuff with minimal safety approval" under President George H.W. Bush's administration.
The USDA asserts that its ground beef purchases "meet the highest standard for food safety."
Controversy surrounding "pink slime" stems from various safety concerns, particularly dangers associated with ammonium hydroxide, which can both be harmful to eat and has potential to turn into ammonium nitrate -- a common component in homemade bombs, according to MSNBC. It's also used in household cleaners and fertilizers."
~ huffpo

There's more to this story, but I'm out and busy.

I've heard about this recently. It sounds gross, but that's not exactly a balanced article you posted.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I've heard about this recently. It sounds gross, but that's not exactly a balanced article you posted.

Kudos for the "balanced" pun.

I was talking to a guy who was sure I must have eaten this " pink slime" while I was In the US. Hw went to the loo, and I called in here on my iPhone only to see this thread.

He said, and he was a bit confusing, that the us gov used to fund this for poor school kids, but are now offering more choice.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Kudos for the "balanced" pun.

I was talking to a guy who was sure I must have eaten this " pink slime" while I was In the US. Hw went to the loo, and I called in here on my iPhone only to see this thread.

He said, and he was a bit confusing, that the us gov used to fund this for poor school kids, but are now offering more choice.

I generally agree with your position. Eat well etc. one day it's good for you the next day it's bad. The stress alone would surely shorten someone life if they fussed over it all constantly.

However, schools are funded by fast food giants and I bet it's the repubs who mostly strongly defend those fake food Pushers.

Sorry, poor Internet connection
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Kudos for the "balanced" pun.

I was talking to a guy who was sure I must have eaten this " pink slime" while I was In the US. Hw went to the loo, and I called in here on my iPhone only to see this thread.

He said, and he was a bit confusing, that the us gov used to fund this for poor school kids, but are now offering more choice.

It's much more prevalent than that. Many schools (not just poor schools) use it. It's estimated to be in 70% of ground beef in supermarkets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I generally agree with your position. Eat well etc. one day it's good for you the next day it's bad. The stress alone would surely shorten someone life if they fussed over it all constantly.

However, schools are funded by fast food giants

What? No they're not.

Quote:
and I bet it's the repubs who mostly strongly defend those fake food Pushers.

Sorry, poor Internet connection

Right, the Republicans must be behind it. Jesus.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #9 of 39
This thread is deliciously ironic in the context of the right wing's paranoid mantra of 'everyone is trying to kill us'.
post #10 of 39
Poignant remark made in another thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=82
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well, I've finally had enough after reading that "white rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes.



Wait...is there a Type 2 Diabetes epidemic among the Asian population? Are they really supposed to avoid a staple of their diet...a food that has widely been acknowledge to contribute to Asians' lower rates of obesity? The story doesn't even make sense.

Each day we're told that something killing us. First it's trans fat. Then it's carbs. Then it's regular old fat. Then it's contaminated cucumbers. Lack of water. Too much water. Sugar. Caramel coloring. White flour. Beef. Chicken. Dairy products. Raw veggies. ENOUGH.

You know what? It's all crap. All of it. There are only a few secrets to helping avoid most of these diseases, and we all know what they are already:

1) Try to eat healthy most of time. Limit fats, sugars and processed/pre-prepared food as much as possible.

2) Exercise consistently. Walk, run, bike, swim, hike...whatever.


That's it. It's not complicated. I'd be interested to read whether or not you've had enough of the media's What's Killing Us Now meme.

This is all bullshit!I use to live in the Philippines and all their lives they ate white rice and they lived to be older and stronger than the Americans.Listen to all of this and we might as well starve to death.Use common sense that is the secret to good health.
post #12 of 39
Part of what's going on here is that Americans are super fat and their trying to find a smoking gun so they can assuage the blame.
post #13 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Part of what's going on here is that Americans are super fat and their trying to find a smoking gun so they can assuage the blame.

Agreed. However, the whole "everyone is obese" line is another thing that bothers me. The definition of obesity has...eh...EXPANDED (HA!) to unreasonable levels. Example: Despite making efforts to watch my diet and exercise regularly (biked 10 miles today in fact), I'm technically considered "obese."

But that's nonsense. Wikipedia defines obesity as "a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems." In my case, my weight does not have any real adverse effects. I workout and watch my diet most of the time. I'm in better shape than a lot people who are thin. I have excellent cardiac health. My grandfather is 85 and my father is 63. Both have the same build I do...neither have cardiac problems or diabetes. The point is, "obesity" should be a term reserved for people like this guy:

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It's much more prevalent than that. Many schools (not just poor schools) use it. It's estimated to be in 70% of ground beef in supermarkets.



What? No they're not.



Right, the Republicans must be behind it. Jesus.


Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK fast food companies pay schools a lot of money to have their vending machines inside schools. The schools rely on the substantial money they get for doing so. It's certainly typical of the right to see this as good.

However, here's a pretty remarkable story-

"The Obama Administration has given its blessing to PepsiCo to continue utilizing the services of a company that produces flavor chemicals for the beverage giant using aborted human fetal tissue. LifeSiteNews.com reports that the Obama Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) has decided that PepsiCos arrangement with San Diego, Cal.-based Senomyx, which produces flavor enhancing chemicals for Pepsi using human embryonic kidney tissue, simply constitutes ordinary business operations.

The issue began in 2011 when the non-profit group Children of God for Life (CGL) first broke the news about Pepsis alliance with Senomyx, which led to massive outcry and a worldwide boycott of Pepsi products. At that time, it was revealed that Pepsi had many other options at its disposal to produce flavor chemicals, which is what its competitors do, but had instead chosen to continue using aborted fetal cells or as Senomyx deceptively puts it, isolated human taste receptors (http://www.naturalnews.com).

A few months later, Pepsi shareholders filed a resolution petitioning the company to adopt a corporate policy that recognizes human rights and employs ethical standards which do not involve using the remains of aborted human beings in both private and collaborative research and development agreements. But the Obama Administration shut down this 36-page proposal, deciding instead that Pepsis used of aborted babies to flavor its beverage products is just business as usual, and not a significant concern.

Were not talking about what kind of pencils PepsiCo wants to use we are talking about exploiting the remains of an aborted child for profit, said Debi Vinnedge, Executive Director of CGL, concerning the SEC decision. Using human embryonic kidney (HEK-293) to produce flavor enhancers for their beverages is a far cry from routine operations!
~ http://www.infowars.com/obama-agency...ss-operations/
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Agreed. However, the whole "everyone is obese" line is another thing that bothers me. The definition of obesity has...eh...EXPANDED (HA!) to unreasonable levels. Example: Despite making efforts to watch my diet and exercise regularly (biked 10 miles today in fact), I'm technically considered "obese."

But that's nonsense. Wikipedia defines obesity as "a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems." In my case, my weight does not have any real adverse effects. I workout and watch my diet most of the time. I'm in better shape than a lot people who are thin. I have excellent cardiac health. My grandfather is 85 and my father is 63. Both have the same build I do...neither have cardiac problems or diabetes. The point is, "obesity" should be a term reserved for people like this guy:


That is a FREAK! His life will be over maybe in another year.
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Part of what's going on here is that Americans are super fat and their trying to find a smoking gun so they can assuage the blame.

Let them go on diets and stop eating shit in these fast food dumps.That is part of the problem in the U.S.
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well, I've finally had enough after reading that "white rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes.



Wait...is there a Type 2 Diabetes epidemic among the Asian population? Are they really supposed to avoid a staple of their diet...a food that has widely been acknowledge to contribute to Asians' lower rates of obesity? The story doesn't even make sense.

Each day we're told that something killing us. First it's trans fat. Then it's carbs. Then it's regular old fat. Then it's contaminated cucumbers. Lack of water. Too much water. Sugar. Caramel coloring. White flour. Beef. Chicken. Dairy products. Raw veggies. ENOUGH.

You know what? It's all crap. All of it. There are only a few secrets to helping avoid most of these diseases, and we all know what they are already:

1) Try to eat healthy most of time. Limit fats, sugars and processed/pre-prepared food as much as possible.

2) Exercise consistently. Walk, run, bike, swim, hike...whatever.


That's it. It's not complicated. I'd be interested to read whether or not you've had enough of the media's What's Killing Us Now meme.

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.
post #18 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Maybe it's different in the US, but in the UK fast food companies pay schools a lot of money to have their vending machines inside schools. The schools rely on the substantial money they get for doing so. It's certainly typical of the right to see this as good.

However, here's a pretty remarkable story-

"The Obama Administration has given its blessing to PepsiCo to continue utilizing the services of a company that produces flavor chemicals for the beverage giant using aborted human fetal tissue. LifeSiteNews.com reports that the Obama Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) has decided that PepsiCos arrangement with San Diego, Cal.-based Senomyx, which produces flavor enhancing chemicals for Pepsi using human embryonic kidney tissue, simply constitutes ordinary business operations.

The issue began in 2011 when the non-profit group Children of God for Life (CGL) first broke the news about Pepsis alliance with Senomyx, which led to massive outcry and a worldwide boycott of Pepsi products. At that time, it was revealed that Pepsi had many other options at its disposal to produce flavor chemicals, which is what its competitors do, but had instead chosen to continue using aborted fetal cells or as Senomyx deceptively puts it, isolated human taste receptors (http://www.naturalnews.com).

A few months later, Pepsi shareholders filed a resolution petitioning the company to adopt a corporate policy that recognizes human rights and employs ethical standards which do not involve using the remains of aborted human beings in both private and collaborative research and development agreements. But the Obama Administration shut down this 36-page proposal, deciding instead that Pepsis used of aborted babies to flavor its beverage products is just business as usual, and not a significant concern.

Were not talking about what kind of pencils PepsiCo wants to use we are talking about exploiting the remains of an aborted child for profit, said Debi Vinnedge, Executive Director of CGL, concerning the SEC decision. Using human embryonic kidney (HEK-293) to produce flavor enhancers for their beverages is a far cry from routine operations!
~ http://www.infowars.com/obama-agency...ss-operations/

I see you left this part out:

Quote:
To be clear, the aborted foetal tissue used to make Pepsi's flavour chemicals does not end up in the final product sold to customers, according to reports -- it is used, instead, to evaluate how actual human taste receptors respond to these chemical flavorings. But the fact that Pepsi uses them at all when viable, non-human alternatives are available illustrates the company's blatant disregard for ethical and moral concerns in the matter.

One must conclude that you deliberately left that out. This thread is not about business ethics. It's about health.

As for schools: Schools seem to be on track to eliminate most soda machines these days. There is sponsorship for various things, like athletics. Certainly though, they're not "funding" the schools in any big way.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Part of what's going on here is that Americans are super fat and their trying to find a smoking gun so they can assuage the blame.

Not only are too many of them super fat, they also smoke and drink too much and exercise way too little. I've no problem with that as long as they aren't allowed to petition the government to fix their lifestyle when they hit 65 with all manner of treatment and joint replacement. Right now it appears they hit that age and can basically suck down as much health care as they desire to fix a lifetime of bad choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Agreed. However, the whole "everyone is obese" line is another thing that bothers me. The definition of obesity has...eh...EXPANDED (HA!) to unreasonable levels. Example: Despite making efforts to watch my diet and exercise regularly (biked 10 miles today in fact), I'm technically considered "obese."

But that's nonsense. Wikipedia defines obesity as "a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems." In my case, my weight does not have any real adverse effects. I workout and watch my diet most of the time. I'm in better shape than a lot people who are thin. I have excellent cardiac health. My grandfather is 85 and my father is 63. Both have the same build I do...neither have cardiac problems or diabetes. The point is, "obesity" should be a term reserved for people like this guy:


BMI as a measure is just crap. It is made up nonsense and the government looks like an idiot when they use it. I have a number of kids who have failed the presidential fitness challenge for no other reason than having the wrong BMI. They can run, jump, shuffle, and everything else the appropriate amount. They simply weigh the wrong amount relative to their height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

Well while you are very wise with your understanding here, it is sort of ironic how you can apply this in diet but not in politics. The left is always going around and crafting enemies and boogymen because they take one variable and refuse to look at it in context. You know they do things like look at the oh....1%, or look at one statement, or one video from one extreme person. You always want to apply the exception as rule when you are in disagreement with a position. Take that reasoning to food and you call it the bullshit it happens to be.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I see you left this part out:



One must conclude that you deliberately left that out. This thread is not about business ethics. It's about health.

As for schools: Schools seem to be on track to eliminate most soda machines these days. There is sponsorship for various things, like athletics. Certainly though, they're not "funding" the schools in any big way.

No. I only read that was left out of the article after reading some of the comments on Alex Jones's site, by which point I'd already posted here. I can't do all the work for you.

With all the modern tech, nuked food (banned in Europe I believe), genetic modification etc, it's a major topic of concern for many people. Add in these factory farms for cows etc, cruelty to animals and I'm not sure your thread is too thoughtful.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

No. I only read that was left out of the article after reading some of the comments on Alex Jones's site, by which point I'd already posted here. I can't do all the work for you.

You left out the last two paragraphs of your link. YOU left it out. Why?

Quote:

With all the modern tech, nuked food (banned in Europe I believe), genetic modification etc, it's a major topic of concern for many people. Add in these factory farms for cows etc, cruelty to animals and I'm not sure your thread is too thoughtful.

What the hell are you babbling about? This thread is about how the media and their government handlers tell us everything is killing us...in this case white rice. If you want to start a thread on GM or animal cruelty, go right ahead.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #22 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

That sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it's actually true. What the original article was about was simply white rice consumption, especially among Asian populations who tend consume a lot of it. The idea was that white rice consumption alone could contribute. I simply think it's nonsense.

Quote:

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

Again, I'm not sure that's true either. There are a lot of other factors, from exercise to genetics to overall saturated consumption (it's not just pure cholesterol).
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

That sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure it's actually true. What the original article was about was simply white rice consumption, especially among Asian populations who tend consume a lot of it. The idea was that white rice consumption alone could contribute. I simply think it's nonsense.

What about their methodology do you find to be nonsense? Was there something wrong with the manner in which the study was conducted?

Quote:
I simply think it's nonsense.

On what grounds? You don't like the results?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You left out the last two paragraphs of your link. YOU left it out. Why?



What the hell are you babbling about? This thread is about how the media and their government handlers tell us everything is killing us...in this case white rice. If you want to start a thread on GM or animal cruelty, go right ahead.

I've not read the last two paragraphs!

If one eats lots of fish, veg etc and rice, great. But if one eats fried fat with rice, there might be a problem. Pretty obvious really. Rice is high carb. It's all about balance. Lame thread, if that's all it's about.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

What about their methodology do you find to be nonsense? Was there something wrong with the manner in which the study was conducted?


On what grounds? You don't like the results?

My problem is not with their methodology. My problem is with the nonsensical conclusion...that high levels of rice consumption cause (or are linked to) type 2 diabetes. If this were true, there would be a diabetes epidemic among Asians for no other reason than rice consumption. Given this has been a staple of their diet for thousands of years, that clearly doesn't make sense. The problem is not white rice. It's everything else, from less active lifestyles to higher fat foods available today. This is literally common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I've not read the last two paragraphs!

If one eats lots of fish, veg etc and rice, great. But if one eats fried fat with rice, there might be a problem. Pretty obvious really. Rice is high carb. It's all about balance. Lame thread, if that's all it's about.

You're going down the same road as tonton. But that's not really what the study shows. Secondly, the thread is about how the media claims pretty much everything kills you. You're calling that topic lame?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

What about their methodology do you find to be nonsense? Was there something wrong with the manner in which the study was conducted?


On what grounds? You don't like the results?

They study was a meta-analysis. It did not attempt to isolate for non-rice factors.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My problem is not with their methodology. My problem is with the nonsensical conclusion...that high levels of rice consumption cause (or are linked to) type 2 diabetes. If this were true, there would be a diabetes epidemic among Asians for no other reason than rice consumption. Given this has been a staple of their diet for thousands of years, that clearly doesn't make sense. The problem is not white rice. It's everything else, from less active lifestyles to higher fat foods available today. This is literally common sense.

Nope, you're not reading the same article I am.

Quote:
"But I see a consistency across these studies, and there is biological plausibility that supports the association between white rice consumption and diabetes."

Correlation and causation are not the same thing. (Though, this clearly explains your positions on many other issues if you have trouble distinguishing the two.) You do not get to say "link" and then substitute interchange that word with "cause" as if the two are the same.

This thread is a perfect example of why people in this country need to be scientifically literate.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My problem is not with their methodology. My problem is with the nonsensical conclusion...that high levels of rice consumption cause (or are linked to) type 2 diabetes. If this were true, there would be a diabetes epidemic among Asians for no other reason than rice consumption. Given this has been a staple of their diet for thousands of years, that clearly doesn't make sense. The problem is not white rice. It's everything else, from less active lifestyles to higher fat foods available today. This is literally common sense.



You're going down the same road as tonton. But that's not really what the study shows. Secondly, the thread is about how the media claims pretty much everything kills you. You're calling that topic lame?

If people read studies like these who eat a lot of white rice, they might think to themselves I'll eat brown brice instead, and have a more balanced diet. It's a bit lame to even attack the media over it. Plenty of people still don't get it, and frankly the better informed they are the less we'll pay in taxes.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #29 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Nope, you're not reading the same article I am.



Correlation and causation are not the same thing. (Though, this clearly explains your positions on many other issues if you have trouble distinguishing the two.) You do not get to say "link" and then substitute interchange that word with "cause" as if the two are the same.

This thread is a perfect example of why people in this country need to be scientifically literate.

Is it even possible for you to discuss something without personally attacking others? Whether or not the study is valid, the article is at least misleading and more likely, sensational. Possibly both.

Quote:
"What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations," Qi Sun of the Harvard School of Public Health told AFP.

and then there is this little tidbit:

Quote:
In the studies carried out in China and Japan, those who ate most rice were 55 percent likelier to develop the disease than those who ate least. In the United States and Australia, where consumption of rice is far lower, the difference was 12 percent.
Participants in the two Asian countries ate three or four servings of rice a day on average, compared to just one or two servings a week in the Western countries.

You don't see the problem here? All other factors are ignored, from exercise, to medications taken, to other parts of the diet. The clear headline is: White rice causes diabetes. Sure, we can debate correlation vs. causation...but how many people that skim the article over their morning coffee will do that? It's simply another example of something else that "kills you" according to the scare-stream media .
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

If people read studies like these who eat a lot of white rice, they might think to themselves I'll eat brown brice instead, and have a more balanced diet. It's a bit lame to even attack the media over it. Plenty of people still don't get it, and frankly the better informed they are the less we'll pay in taxes.

Are you for real?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #31 of 39
SDW, YOU sensationalized the article. I saw plenty of restrained language and not once did I see the article claim that white rice CAUSED diabetes. You made that connection because you appear to fail at basic reading comprehension here.

Linking white rice to an increased risk of diabetes DOES NOT MEAN white rice causes diabetes.

The VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH is a quote from the scientists saying not to focus on a single food but on a pattern of consumption.

BREAKING NEWS: Halfway decent science article that actually shows some restraint SENSATIONALIZED BY SDW2001 IN HIS WAR AGAINST THE MEDIA

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #32 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

SDW, YOU sensationalized the article. I saw plenty of restrained language and not once did I see the article claim that white rice CAUSED diabetes. You made that connection because you appear to fail at basic reading comprehension here.

Linking white rice to an increased risk of diabetes DOES NOT MEAN white rice causes diabetes.

The VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH is a quote from the scientists saying not to focus on a single food but on a pattern of consumption.

BREAKING NEWS: Halfway decent science article that actually shows some restraint SENSATIONALIZED BY SDW2001 IN HIS WAR AGAINST THE MEDIA

I'll take that as a "no, it's not possible for me to discuss anything without attacking others." If you disagree that the media sensationalizes every little thing that is "bad" for us, then go ahead and make that case. Otherwise, go screw.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #33 of 39
The article you bring to the table fails to sensationalize anything. That's what's so fucking ironic. You misinterpret the article and then get mad at the media. The problem here is not the media. The problem, in this case, is you.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Are you for real?

Heavens, I am!

Don't worry, plenty will ignore the evidence, and still vote Repub.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #35 of 39


The Illusion of Free Speech

“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.”

— Noam Chomsky

source

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #36 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post



The Illusion of Free Speech

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that theres free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate.

Noam Chomsky

source


Not a big Chomsky fan, though I do agree in principal. Controversial opinions (usually conservative or libertarian in nature) are simply not allowed...lest one be denounced as "out of the mainstream."
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #37 of 39
Yea these days we are lacking different opinions 'cause were so limited to the TV networks for our information.
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Honestly, the truth is that white rice CAN make you fat, if the rest of your diet is not appropriate for a rice heavy diet. It's not that the rice is the problem, it's the rest of the diet that is the problem, and the rice can make it worse. If you have a fast food diet and don't eat a lot of white rice, you might not get as fat as you would if you have a fast food diet and a lot of rice.

It's just like cholesterol. I get sick and tired of people saying they can't eat certain foods because they contain too much cholesterol. The fact is that you can eat as much cholesterol as you want without having a cholesterol problem if you eat enough foods containing antioxidants and other nutrients so that you can use the cholesterol you need and neutralize and get rid of the rest properly. It's not the cholesterol that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

It's not the rice that's the problem, it's the rest of your diet.

They say white rice has sugar which is contained in there.Brown rice is more healthy.
post #39 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

They say white rice has sugar which is contained in there.Brown rice is more healthy.

Wow, professor...did you come up with that by yourself?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Media: Everything Kills You