or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story - Page 2

post #41 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

NYT isn't alone at fault here, and give them some credit for correcting their error. How many people got fooled by James Frey and his book A Million Little Pieces?

Read the NYT 'retraction'. It's the most wishy-washy retraction I've ever seen. They argue, for example, that even though Daisey didn't see some of the things, they happened, anyway, so it's OK to report them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

"I'm an entertainer" is the new liars' rationale. Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Glen Beck use this lie all the time.

So that's the trick. Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich are entertainers....

Gotcha.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

Interesting! I didn't know Apple owned a factory in China.

Yeah, it's where they make the Xboxes, Kindle Fires, Galaxy Tabs, and all the rest. Didn't you know?
post #43 of 79
Thus endth both the entertainment and journalist careers of Mike Daisey.

Never really passed the smell test, but managed to do a lot of damage ...

He got his start doing a 'tell all' show based on a stint at Amazon, disappeared and then resurfaced with the perfect publicity grabbing show that cashed in on the name of Steve Jobs, much like the 'click bait' articles used to turn up on the web ad nauseum before Jobs died. Very calculated ...

After This American Life airs their show revealing his lies who in their right mind would pay good money to see his stage show?

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the NYT to run a real article about the fact checking and subsequent retraction by TAL. Kind of a shame that they didn't send some of their China people to do that first. Interesting to see how they handle this ...
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the NYT to run a real article about the fact checking and subsequent retraction by TAL. Kind of a shame that they didn't send some of their China people to do that first. Interesting to see how they handle this ...

NYT did run an article about the TAL retractions:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...iers-in-china/

Sadly, the article simply says that TAL messed up and never makes the logical leap to apologizing for the NYT simply repeating the lies without checking.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Thus endth both the entertainment and journalist careers of Mike Daisey.

Never really passed the smell test, but managed to do a lot of damage ...

He got his start doing a 'tell all' show based on a stint at Amazon, disappeared and then resurfaced with the perfect publicity grabbing show that cashed in on the name of Steve Jobs, much like the 'click bait' articles used to turn up on the web ad nauseum before Jobs died. Very calculated ...

After This American Life airs their show revealing his lies who in their right mind would pay good money to see his stage show?

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the NYT to run a real article about the fact checking and subsequent retraction by TAL. Kind of a shame that they didn't send some of their China people to do that first. Interesting to see how they handle this ...

While Daisey is completely responsible for his actions those that jumped on his anti-Apple campaign because it was exciting, seemed impossible for a such a successful company not to be engaging in in child slave labour, sadistic desire to see something successful fail, or whatever the reason are also accountable for giving momentum for what was, at the very least, a sensationalist story with little to no evidence to back up his wild claims.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #46 of 79
I wonder if investors can sue. He has caused damage to Apple's reputation and most definitely the stock price by telling his lies.
post #47 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by shard View Post

I wonder if investors can sue. He has caused damage to Apple's reputation and most definitely the stock price by telling his lies.

Anyone can sue for anything but to have a case I think they could win could it proved that Apple's stock value has been hurt by his claims? Personally I wouldn't even consider it (wouldn't consider it either way, actually) until Apple themselves took legal action against the biggest douche in the universe*.


* Title previously held by John Edward.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #48 of 79
Mike Daisey is an opportunist, sensationalist, hack and a profiteer. It is amazing to me that there is never a mention that the costs for tickets to his one man "show" are $75 and $85 - What's his profit margin? This lying fake is making a considerable amount of money on the backs of these workers. He is the one exploiting them.
post #49 of 79
Dalsey et al produce the lies and then people make other statements referencing those fabrications as if the very fact that they exist make them reliable sources of information. It's ridiculous, and begs for rebirth of traditional journalism.

Case in point: Some consultant pulls numbers out of thin air (we'll get thousands of paying customers!) to justify a cash-strapped city spending taxpayer money to subsidize a sports arena. Years later that arena still stands mostly unused and empty. Same consultant says an oil pipeline will create tens of thousands of jobs and politicians start using those numbers in speeches as if they were facts.

Pathetic, and so many buy into it.
post #50 of 79
South Park have 5 days to create an iPad + Mike Daisey focused episode.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

This is the kind of fabricated crap that the right-wing does all the time. It is a shame that people who purport to stand up for ethics can act so unethically!

Right-wing, huh? Since almost ALL print journalists in this country are knee-jerk, dyed-in-the-wool "progressives," this kind of ALGORE-ISM in the flesh (and boy is there a lot of it!) serves only to prove how the END justifies the MEANS among liberals.

Do you know who Jason Blair is? How about Janet Cooke? Michael A. Bellesiles? Stephen Glass? Jay Forman? Patricia Smith? Need I cite more? These "journalists," one and all, never EVER let a fact get in the way of a story, an opinion, a goal, a dream, a hope, or a change. And when they get caught in their lies, it's a "right-wing conspiracy," huh?
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

This is the kind of fabricated crap that the right-wing does all the time. It is a shame that people who purport to stand up for ethics can act so unethically!

This is a blow not only to those who want to better the lives of the workers, but to all progressive movements. A very sad day!

This is the kind of fabricated crap that all extreme-wingnuts do all the time. I personally find the left somewhat more guilty than the right actually, but your "perceptage" may vary based on your on PPOV (political point of view). In any case, a pox on all over-fervid, hate-spewing, propaganda- and smear-dependent ideologies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No Newspaper is infallible, but I'll take the Times credibility every day of the week of the WSJ.

I won't.

And on a "need to know" item, I'll try to double check either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I saw that fat f*** spewing his incredulous lies on HBOs Bill Maher. It's amazing how these networks fall for sensationalistic journalism. They'll air just about anyone. Good thing I go by the motto "believe nothing you hear and half of what you see"

"Theatre" and dramatic license, my ass.

Apple trolls don't just clog up Apple Forums, they've learned they can piggyback off the name to make big bucks and get famous. And that includes not only "Mr." Daisey, but also the NY Times itself.

So they're backpedaling now and "correcting the record" (and being praised for pleading guilty when caught 'red-handed!' [so to speak and btw ). So where was the hallowed "second sourcing" from the "paper of record"?

That is, if Joe Nobody comes home to Omaha and talks to the local rag about terrible conditions at the HP part of some Chinese company's ops, does that go viral, national, and is it monetizeable for either Joe or the Husker paper of record? ...Naww, it's a filler blip.

But when it's Apple, Foxconn, a somewhat known name and the NEW YORK TIMES, it's national news, it's millions of hits, and the fuel for a thousand other blogs, and on the booking front, everything's coming up daisies for Daisey.

I.e., attacking Apple is a great career move these days! As it is a useful pursiut, another step down the food chain, for AI and every other Apple site to report on Daisey and turn the dogs of their forums loose!

In fact, even my post (and yours if you answer me) is a kind of tertiary slip-streaming on the whole controversy. Just call me "Mini-Macalope".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

A quote from Ira Glass' blog: "On this week's episode of This American Life, we will devote the entire hour to detailing the errors in 'Mr. Daisey Goes to the Apple Factory.'"

That's what I call being a class act. Too many of those who reported the story initially will do little more than offer an "Oops, our bad" retraction blurb.

Props to Ira. I stand with those who think National Public Radio should (and could) carry its own weight since its audience is not in the slightest a representative slice of the whole "public" (and is devoted), but I have reason to know Mr. Glass is a class act.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A year ago, one Apple shareholder attending the company's meeting asked Tim Cook and other executives if they had seen Daisey's monologuist play, "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs," which references the role of Steve Jobs and Apple's activities in China.

Cook dismissed the play, saying "if it's not on ESPN or CNBC, I don't see it," but said he could comment on China, noting that in everything from worker safety to making processes environmentally friendly "we have the highest standards" and adding that Apple is the most transparent in its auditing and reporting than any other company, reporting actual problems and taking real action.

The woman again pressed Cook to see Daisey's play, to which Cook answered, "I don't need to see a play. I know Steve Jobs," adding that Apple's executives have also been there, interviewing workers and not just management, and opening lines of communications that allow workers to report problems independently.

I think it that The woman should be identified, as it appears to be her intent to embarrass Tim Cook.and if it wasn't, no harm, no foul. Maybe.
post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

South Park have 5 days to create an iPad + Mike Daisey focused episode.

Trey and Matt will get in done. Not quite sure about the 5 days though. But then again, they did have a weeks lead time on the new iPad before they actually shipped.

If you hear about it, be sure to post a link? I may be an old fart who goes off from time to time, but I seriously love their sense of humor.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #55 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Trey and Matt will get in done. Not quite sure about the 5 days though. But then again, they did have a weeks lead time on the new iPad before they actually shipped.

If you hear about it, be sure to post a link? I may be an old fart who goes off from time to time, but I seriously love their sense of humor.

QUESTION: How long does it normally take to make a South Park episode?

ANSWER: Well... normally an episode can get done in four days... normal TV studios however ususally take longer.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

QUESTION: How long does it normally take to make a South Park episode?

ANSWER: Well... normally an episode can get done in four days... normal TV studios however ususally take longer.

DOH! I forgot about their website with the FAQ section. Thanks for the reminder.

You posted a reply so fast that I almost turned around to see if you were standing in the same room!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #57 of 79
What a cluster f*ck you have caused Daisey. I sure hope you are sued or fined an amount at least equal to all the profits you made with your made up stories you portrayed as truths.

Maybe some time in the pokey would be good for you too!

I hope you become recognized as the Fat Bastard among your peers.
post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

You posted a reply so fast that I almost turned around to see if you were standing in the same room!


"Computers do not work that way!"

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblowjapan View Post

I think there are still some of us who prefer civil discourse. You can be passionate without being vulgar.

And I think Dalsey might get hired by Rupert Murdoch, probably at Fox.


He will be a star on msnbc for sure. I am sure it's your favorite channel.
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

What a cluster f*ck you have caused Daisey. I sure hope you are sued or fined an amount at least equal to all the profits you made with your made up stories you portrayed as truths.

Maybe some time in the pokey would be good for you too!

I hope you become recognized as the Fat Bastard among your peers.

I don't when Bill Maher records HBO's Real Time (is it live?) but I'm hoping he addresses this since Daisey was on his show a month ago in a one-on-one session discussion the horrid working conditions and child labour at Foxconn under Apple's aluminium thumb.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEBIRD View Post

He will be a star on msnbc for sure. I am sure it's your favorite

You're sure? Like Daisey?

Sorry, I don't watch TV channels. Just films.
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


"Computers do not work that way!"

Wow! Where in the heck did you ever find a picture of my exwife?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

What a f'n douchebag. The WORST thing he could have ever done for workers rights. In his zeal to smear Apple, one of the better companies, he ruins any chance to draw light on the companies that do need to have a light shined on them.

Well said.

For the complete This American Life retraction see:
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play...=460&podcast=1
post #64 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While Daisey is completely responsible for his actions those that jumped on his anti-Apple campaign because it was exciting, seemed impossible for a such a successful company not to be engaging in in child slave labour, sadistic desire to see something successful fail, or whatever the reason are also accountable for giving momentum for what was, at the very least, a sensationalist story with little to no evidence to back up his wild claims.

You mention some very sad and troubling aspects of this story. It really irritates me to see how
easily people can be manipulated to follow a jurk like Daisey. This happens again and again and again in all countries be it right wing or left wing. It's so sad that all these sheepish people refuse to try to think for themselfes.

I actually wonder how those SomeOfUs.org folks think right now. But maybe at the moment you would find some sort of vacuum within their sculls.
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

What a f'n douchebag. The WORST thing he could have ever done for workers rights. In his zeal to smear Apple, one of the better companies, he ruins any chance to draw light on the companies that do need to have a light shined on them. Way to go dick head.

How true, what you say. I hope this kind of unfair opportunism will be answered with apropriate punishment. IMHO this kind of mass manipulation, that leads to hatred against individuals, companies or races is still one of the ugliest evils in todays society.
post #66 of 79
I'll say it again.
SUE. NOW.
post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

"I'm an entertainer" is the new liars' rationale. Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Glen Beck use this lie all the time.
.

And don't forget Jon Stewart. I have friends that consider him unbiased and an accurate source of news. He is Glen Beck just the other side.
post #68 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

For every retracted piece they hit on the other 99. Now the Wall Street Journal is one rag that you really have to separate the Op-Eds from the Research reports.

No Newspaper is infallible, but I'll take the Times credibility every day of the week of the WSJ.

I won't even bother with Cable News.

Correct mme if I'm wrong, but Jason Blair used to work for the times?

If reading the paper is now for entertainment, I'll tale the new York Post
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

And don't forget Jon Stewart. I have friends that consider him unbiased and an accurate source of news. He is Glen Beck just the other side.

You can't believe Stewart is like glen beck but on the other side of a political middle???????
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

Unfortunately in today's wired world, stories like Mr Daisey's usually develops a life of it's own because there are so many people who wants to believe them.

Like a politician (who's name I can't remember) said after being cleared of all wrong doing, "Where do I go to get my reputation back?" One thing the Internet has taught me over the many years is that you can always find information that supports anything you choose to believe. Instead of bringing us together the Internet has polarized us. The vile stuff that people post anonymously is truly scary when you consider that it is what they are really thinking but wouldn't say publically. Political Correctness has simply driven people underground. I shudder to think what would happen if our economy and society really came apart at the seams. It would make the carnage of the Civil War look like a Sunday school picnic.
post #71 of 79
Mike Daisey is a FAT FUCKIN TURD!!! The rest of you making this a political issue aren't far behind his mountainous ass!
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
Reply
Don't flame me for my own opinion, unless you feel it necessary to boost your own ego.
Reply
post #72 of 79
Faux news need more guys like this...what a journalists oops i mean entertainer.
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is what I've been saying all along. Those douchebag activists are a bunch of lying scumbags and the NYT is a prime example of shitty, liberal journalism.

So I guess you don't understand the difference between the news pages and the opinion pages. The Daisey piece was an Op-Ed piece. Personal opinion...not news...and frequently meant to be funny or sarcastic (although not in this case.)

The fact is that if you read 95% of the NYT news articles without knowing it was the New York Times, you would not be able to tell whether it came from a so-called liberal or conservative newspaper. As just one small example, they ran a front page article last week about how Obama's approval ratings have dropped substantially of late. When the Republican candidates have their individual successes in various primaries, the Times writes pretty comprehensive and IMO, positive articles about those victories. What they write on the editorial pages is a completely different manner, but you obviously don't know the difference.
post #74 of 79
Don't just blame NY Times. There are dedicated individuals and groups that try to privide fabricated stories to new media. This is a very serious problem and must be very clearly known to the general public that news media and even governments can be victims of these individuals and groups of fabricated facts.

When we watch a movie drama, Hollywood studio will always print a footnote that it is pure fiction. I think this habit should be observed by the news too.
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Good for them. They did the right thing.

So was the rest of the piece factual?

Well I think from reading about the FoxConn issue that EVERYONE KNOWS Apple exploits Chinese workers in the worst sweatshop in China.

However the FACT IS, FoxConn has higher standards than the OTHER major manufacturing plants.
Apple has also pushed higher standards, and was the one that blue the whistle on misuse of Hexane and bad practices.

.... so basically, Apple is the ONE company making things better, while every other electronics manufacturer has been lurking in the shadows hiring other people to throw stones.

>> And the "FoxConn suicides" only appear extensive, because there are around 900,000 people at that company. The suicide rate is 3 in 100,000 -- so it's basically less than the average in the US or China.


OTHER than being the opposite of the truth -- I think America has a clear picture here [ROLLS EYES].
post #76 of 79
Mike Daisey is a smeghead. fact or dramatization, you decide.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

So I guess you don't understand the difference between the news pages and the opinion pages. The Daisey piece was an Op-Ed piece. Personal opinion...not news...and frequently meant to be funny or sarcastic (although not in this case.)

I'm having trouble understanding why you think that matters.

It's one thing to spin something in an op-ed piece. But it's never acceptable to flat-out lie - regardless of whether it's news or editorial.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #78 of 79
I guess Daisey doesn't really care about the part in the Ten Commandments that says "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
post #79 of 79
Why hasn't anyone mentioned that the mangled hand story is fictitious as well?

There is no way that a worker could have mangled their hand in a metal press, making iPads. Apple uses a unibody process on iPads and MacBooks, which mills the case out of a solid aluminum billet. There is no pressing or stamping involved unlike other metal products for other manufacturers.

These aluminum billets are put into a machine tool, and the hood is enclosed for environmental reasons, before the tool operates. There is no pressing or stamping. Clearly, Daisey didn't know this, and borrowed another story from another factory making someone else's product to embellish his story some more. Another red-handed lie.

Now, I did see on some show, 60 Minutes or other, where Chinese workers were injured in metal-stamping machines, but totally unrelated to Apple. I wonder if Daisey saw the same program.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New York Times removes fabricated Mike Daisey allegations in Apple Chinese factory story