or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple serves up first beta of OS X Lion 10.7.4 to developers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple serves up first beta of OS X Lion 10.7.4 to developers

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Apple has asked its Mac developers to begin testing Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 build 11E27 -- the first external beta of the company's fourth maintenance release to its current Lion operating system.

The Friday release to Apple Developer Connection members, as first predicted by AppleInsider on Monday, was accompanied by a note asking developers to focus their testing efforts on AddressBook, Graphics, iCal, Mail, and Printing.

The 580MB delta release is said by those familiar with the software to contain just one known issue related to the inability to play content purchased through iTunes in QuickTime. 

Separately, Apple on Friday also served up OS X Lion Server Software Update 10.7.4 build 11E27 -- a 622MB delta update to Lion's server software with changes to Calendars, Contacts, Server App, Web Server, WebDAV Sharing and ServerAdmin DNS.

Earlier in the day, the Mac maker also released the second developer preview of Mountain Lion, the successor to Lion due for release sometime this summer.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 21
I am just hoping that in Mountain Lion, iTunes is divided into two units; music and video! This will be in line with iOS 5 as well which has them separated!
post #3 of 21
iTunes is a content managing mess, if ever there was a dire need for it to be re-imagined, split into components, streamlined etc etc. it's now. It's the uber media manager that has become a gargantuan monster. Strange how it didnt manage to eat up the app store too on the mac...

iTunes has to focus again on music. A separate books and audiobooks application has to become the front end for books with its own store (kindle has it's own mac app but apple doesn't have a native ePub and book manager?), and QuickTime has to finally become a decent video manager and video store and become "videos".
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I am just hoping that in Mountain Lion, iTunes is divided into two units; music and video! This will be in line with iOS 5 as well which has them separated!

I do not want a separate app for movies, TV shows, video podcasts, iTunes U videos and music videos, and then a separate app for music, audio podcasts, voice notes, ringtones, iTunes U audio, and audio books just to organize one device. Do we then get a separate app for syncing books and PDfs? Then a separate app for managing iOS apps? I want the iTunes hub to be a way to a quickly and convenient way to organize all my iDevice content at once.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #5 of 21
Simply NO EXCUSE to make us wait for 10.8 for AirPlay Mirroring! Why does iOS get far earlier access than OS X?!
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Why does iOS get far earlier access than OS X?!

I can think of at least one reason.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do not want a separate app for movies, TV shows, video podcasts, iTunes U videos and music videos, and then a separate app for music, audio podcasts, voice notes, ringtones, iTunes U audio, and audio books just to organize one device. Do we then get a separate app for syncing books and PDfs? Then a separate app for managing iOS apps? I want the iTunes hub to be a way to a quickly and convenient way to organize all my iDevice content at once.

This exactly.
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do not want a separate app for movies, TV shows, video podcasts, iTunes U videos and music videos, and then a separate app for music, audio podcasts, voice notes, ringtones, iTunes U audio, and audio books just to organize one device. Do we then get a separate app for syncing books and PDfs? Then a separate app for managing iOS apps? I want the iTunes hub to be a way to a quickly and convenient way to organize all my iDevice content at once.

Yeah well you would want that because that's what apple currently offers...

You missed the point. ITunes can still remain the syncing hub, albeit re-imagined to be more streamlined and intuitive in syncing i-devices. The content itself though is hardly consumable ad ornganisable anymore solely via iTunes. Of course you don't need a separate app for syncing books and PDFs, but you do need a separate app for using and managining them on the mac as with iBooks on iPad. Why would you not need a separate book library for your mac and you want the music manager to double up as a book manager too?

Ps. iTunes is neither quick nor convenient as is for syncing btw for most users, I have not met a single fairly novice user who doesn't dread syncing everything from photos to books to music to video over iTunes and doesn't get overwhelmed by it, with some also staying overwhelmed for the duration of their never flatenning learning curve. Sync all podcasts that contain this, or are older than, delete after this time, sync music from these playlists or manually manage, sync these albums not those, apps, blah blah, then the content to be synced becomes an ever complex to calculate amount and the iPad is reported full, then how to export back and forth from IOs, how to simply say, put these photos and vids from the iPad say to this folder on the mac... You think any of this is quick and convenient for people who are not geeks like us?
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah well you would want that because that's what apple currently offers...

Then you've missed all my comments about what I do wish would change. Case in point I'd personally like to access my calander and contacts all within Mail as a single app, just like in Outlook. That's probably not going to happen... and I accept that.

You can't call yourself objective just because you always take a negative viewpoint. Reality doesn't work that way.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then you've missed all my comments about what I do wish would change. Case in point I'd personally like to access my calander and contacts all within Mail as a single app, just like in Outlook. That's probably not going to happen... and I accept that.

You can't call yourself objective just because you always take a negative viewpoint. Reality doesn't work that way.

In your humble opininion I take a negative view point, but I am afraid you are mistaken there.

I am still waiting to hear what your objection is to a separate reader/library app that's much needed for os x, without having to bypass itunes as an organising and syncing interface, you missed my original point, and you are having me spell it out three times, thanks.

It's a fair request for more integration of mail/calendar/contacts and it's a reason why people opted for entourage/outlook, I don't see a need for such a tight integration but different strokes for diffent blokes I guess, I don't see why fundamentally one way is better than the other so I 've put my preference down to taste and personal quirks.
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I am still waiting to hear what your objection is to a separate reader/library app...

iBooks reader? When I have done nothing but wish that would happen?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #12 of 21
Guess it is past time on giving up on a 10.6.9 that includes iCloud support
Shame because my orginal 2006 MacBook is still going strong but it is disappointing I can not sync my bookmarks and contacts with my iOS devices and my other macs using iCloud.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

iTunes is a content managing mess

iTunes and App Store are to Apple what Explorer is to Microsoft (ie: core of their business strategy). The goal isn't having a great multimedia player/manager (such as Quicktime, VLC, or Vox), but making it very easy for to user to spend money while using it.

If it wasn't for this fact (the user spending money), we would have a superb Quicktime player/manager today. It would open files in a fraction of a second (in contrast to iTunes, which is like if you boot another OS inside OSX).
post #14 of 21
Done with Lion.

Already running the ML Preview, and will stick with it until the full ML release.

Runs very stable on the following:

Early 2008 MBP 15-inch, 2.4 Ghz
6 GB RAM
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove
iTunes is a content managing mess

I disagree. Show me a better one.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Reply
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then you've missed all my comments about what I do wish would change. Case in point I'd personally like to access my calander and contacts all within Mail as a single app, just like in Outlook. ...

Why would you want to do that? The way that works in Outlook absolutely sucks. I think Apple's design of how that works with separate apps that work together is a much more elegant solution for that problem. But, iTunes and Mail/Calendar/Contacts aren't solving the same kind of problem, so a good solution for one is not necessarily a good solution for the other. iTunes' "digital hub" approach works very well for the problem it solves, but Outlook's all-in-one approach does not.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I disagree. Show me a better one.

Whether a better one exists or not doesn't mean it isn't a mess.

iTunes doesn't necessarily need to be broken into separate applications but that doesn't mean it can't be greatly improved and streamlined into distinct sections with better options for different media.

Frankly video management in iTunes is horrible and extremely confusing for a lot of people.
We have cool features like Home Sharing, AirPlay etc but organizing videos is limited at best.
So I want to keep folders of my home videos, what options do I have? Is it a movie? A podcast? A TV Show? Pretty limited.

Switch to your iDevice and look at your videos in iTunes via Home Sharing. If you have even a remotely large collection, the only option you see on the device is an icon view. That is so slow when I just wish I could have a list and jumped to S titles for example.

Add in the iDevice syncing options and there's more problems there.
Why when I have 27" iMac is the video sync screen limited to about a 640x480 small window and only show in icon view? Another example or inefficient.
post #18 of 21
iTunes is developed independently of the OS. You're not going to see major changes to iTunes in beta OSX updates.
post #19 of 21
Updating Lion is all very good, as it is their current OS.

However, my poor old MBP 2006 Core (1) Duo can't and won't ever run anything more than Snow Leopard.

But now I face losing the .mac email address I've paid a not inconsiderable amount for over the past 6 years because I CAN'T update to iCloud.

When will 10.6.9 come out as a final update for those of us with older machines, adding iCloud support?

-Nano.
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why would you want to do that? The way that works in Outlook absolutely sucks. I think Apple's design of how that works with separate apps that work together is a much more elegant solution for that problem. But, iTunes and Mail/Calendar/Contacts aren't solving the same kind of problem, so a good solution for one is not necessarily a good solution for the other. iTunes' "digital hub" approach works very well for the problem it solves, but Outlook's all-in-one approach does not.

For me that is the idea setup for Mail. Note that I'm not saying Contacts and Calendar apps should go away just that I'd like an option to them shown within Mail without having to switch to separate apps. Also note that it's a desire I have but in no way am I acting like an elitist prick demanding Apple do what I want simply because I want it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

Updating Lion is all very good, as it is their current OS.

However, my poor old MBP 2006 Core (1) Duo can't and won't ever run anything more than Snow Leopard.

But now I face losing the .mac email address I've paid a not inconsiderable amount for over the past 6 years because I CAN'T update to iCloud.

When will 10.6.9 come out as a final update for those of us with older machines, adding iCloud support?

-Nano.

1) "not inconsiderable"? WHy not just go with considerable?

2) You paid for yearly access at no more than $99/year per user so it's stated within your agreement the length of use for that contract.

3) You won't lose your mail.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I disagree. Show me a better one.

None available, I ve said it before, it's the best from what is available, but that doesn't make it good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple serves up first beta of OS X Lion 10.7.4 to developers