or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays

post #1 of 122
As the third-generation iPad makes its way into the hands of eager customers worldwide, some buyers who pre-ordered the tablet through Apple's online store are finding that their shipments have been delayed due to the onslaught of launch day deliveries.

AppleInsider has received a number of reports from readers who have noted that their iPad pre-orders, which were promised to be delivered on launch day, are being delayed to as late as Saturday.

An unknown amount of iPad shipments handled by both FedEx and UPS are seeing a slip in delivery times, with some being stuck "in transit" while others have yet to leave the carrier's facilities.

According to one reader, who will remain anonymous, a FedEx representative stated that an agreement with Apple allowed the company to extend its delivery deadline to 8 p.m., which is well past the shipment's previously quoted 3 p.m. time. The reader goes on to say that the delivery status of their package was changed to "Future Delivery Requested" without authorization before ultimately being delivered at 6:45 p.m.

Despite the apparently overwhelming demand being placed on delivery companies, many brick-and-mortar Apple stores remain stocked with the hot-selling tablet. A check with random Apple Stores along the West Coast of the U.S. found that both Wi-Fi and 4G LTE models of the new iPad were available in many locations.

Apple's third-generation iPad was announced at a special event earlier in March alongside an updated Apple TV model that can stream 1080p video. Along with a high resolution Retina Display, the new tablet features a faster A5X processor, 4G LTE-capability and a substantially larger battery.

Sales of the new iPad began on Friday and some estimates project that Apple will sell 66 million units in 2012.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 122
Apple, creating jobs for American workers.

More UPS/Fedex employees equal faster deliveries.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #3 of 122
I got my iPad today via UPS. The delivery guy said they are so overwhelmed that they're planning to continue delivering into Saturday. It's worth noting that UPS normally only delivers Monday - Friday.
post #4 of 122
1) I'm surprised only the AppleTV was delivered before Friday. Kind of douchy promise March 16th delivery and not have it happen until the 17th when you could have relived the strain by starting deliveries a day early like with previous iPhone releases.

2) My Apple Store had hundreds of iPads of all kinds lined up behind the Genius Bar counter at around 1pm. No idea if that was their entire stock.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 122
Typical product launch. If I remember correctly, it took my secret service man two months before i could get my16GB wifi model.

They have them on eBay now!
post #6 of 122
Got my Apple TV a day early and my new iPad today. This is in densely populated Los Angeles.

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

post #7 of 122
my ipad says its in the fedex facility at 7am.. .then at 1pm tracking info update says its still at the facility!!! then at 3pm the estimated delivery changed from 16march to no estimate.. they removed the line stating the estimated delivery date.

I dont mind the date change as much as the fact that their empty promise made me loose a whole day!!! if they had changed delivery date from 16 to 17 at 7am i would be mad at the day change but at least i could have been out doing other things!!!
post #8 of 122
The FedEx guy told me that they are delivering around 400 iPads today in our town with a population of 40,000. That was FedEx only. I'd imagine the same number with UPS not to mention Walmart and BestBuy.
post #9 of 122
With so much stock I wonder if it means that the iPad isn't received as well as was hoped, or did they fix the production capacity?

I guess we'll see when we have the first weekend sales numbers
post #10 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by microfud View Post

It's worth noting that UPS normally only delivers Monday - Friday.

Actually, UPS operates 7 days a week. Saturday and Sunday delivery just costs more.
post #11 of 122
Got my ipad today - chatted briefly with UPS man as I signed - he said his truck was full of them and he was under pressure - NY 10708
post #12 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

With so much stock I wonder if it means that the iPad isn't received as well as was hoped, or did they fix the production capacity?

my thoughts exactly.

all flavors were available at the downtown san francisco store as of 5 pm pacific. i was in-and-out with a new ipad in less than three minutes.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #13 of 122
Mine said shipped today, but hasn't been picked up yet. But it wasn't supposed to be shipped until Monday , well see if it comes a day early.
post #14 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Typical product launch. If I remember correctly, it took my secret service man two months before i could get my16GB wifi model.

They have them on eBay now!

Be sure to wipe it off good and clean NSA style mr. President before you sell it on eBay, we don't want an iPad-gate.
post #15 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

my thoughts exactly.

all flavors were available at the downtown san francisco store as of 5 pm pacific. i was in-and-out with a new ipad in less than three minutes.

In my opinion....

I'd take it as Tim Cook was the right guy to exact Steve's vision.

There is such a huge paradigm shift happening right now in computing. I don't think we all really can comprehend how HUGE tablet computing is going to be.

Job's knew where the industry would be in "x" years and HAD to have a guy he was sure would make supply would meet demand.

Cook's supply chain mastery (and leadership) + ive's design discipline + Forstall's ego = Job's master plan.

Thanks Steve, my Apple stock is gonna pay for my children's college.

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

I am long on my shares of AAPL at $37.00

post #16 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

my ipad says its in the fedex facility at 7am.. .then at 1pm tracking info update says its still at the facility!!! then at 3pm the estimated delivery changed from 16march to no estimate.. they removed the line stating the estimated delivery date.

I dont mind the date change as much as the fact that their empty promise made me loose a whole day!!! if they had changed delivery date from 16 to 17 at 7am i would be mad at the day change but at least i could have been out doing other things!!!

Exactly the same situation here.
What makes me madder is they could have avoided the problem and delivered it earlier if Apple didn't "request future delivery"!!!
post #17 of 122
When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.
post #18 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

Got my ipad today - chatted briefly with UPS man as I signed - he said his truck was full of them and he was under pressure - NY 10708

That is so awesome...
post #19 of 122
Mine was left with the Valet in my building i went to pick it up they had 12 of them (you can tell by the box) sitting there, and those are just the ones that the people weren't home to get.
post #20 of 122
I got mine today too. It's my 1st iPad and it is sweet. Plugged in my AppleID and everything came out of the cloud like rain. All contacts, mail, bookmarks, etc. It even had all my movies and music available. Apple really knows how to make it easy when you're an all Apple person.

I got the accessories I ordered with it a couple of days ago. When UPS guy delivered it today, he said he's been busy all day with iPads and UPS management kept telling the drivers not to leave the truck out of sight because of thieves. WOW Apple must've sold a lot of them if my UPS guy had a truck load of them to deliver here in rural cow country of NY.
post #21 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

When I was a child, I was upset if I couldn't have something I wanted "right now". As a young person, I was anxious to get my heart's desire as soon as possible. As an adult with a fairly rich array of interests and activities to pursue, I read something like this and feel like I live in a country of children, excited about a mock Christmas waiting to get their toys. It is rather sad in it's shallowness, actually.

Let your inner child FREE!!
post #22 of 122
thought i would get mine today. signed the pre-authorization and stuck it to the door. fedex guy voided it and left a delivery notice. if fedex won't accept the pre-authorization, why was it made available? guess i am stuck at home tomorrow.
post #23 of 122
My brother in law delivered 35 today. When I asked him if he had ever delivered 35 of the same item to different houses before he said "no, not even for big game/movie releases."
post #24 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_bluth View Post

thought i would get mine today. signed the pre-authorization and stuck it to the door. fedex guy voided it and left a delivery notice. if fedex won't accept the pre-authorization, why was it made available? guess i am stuck at home tomorrow.

The driver is not required to leave the package if there is a risk the package will be damaged (e.g., rain) or stolen.
post #25 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_bluth View Post

He did you a favor. Waiting an extra day is better than no iPad at all!
post #26 of 122
Quote:

Hey old man, this is not about getting something "right now".
This is about promise and customer experience.
We were promised Mar 16 delivery on the order page and also on the Fedex tracking page.
We made arrangement based on this promise, but at the end we lost a whole day because of their bad arrangement.
This is a valid complaint.
post #27 of 122
The new iPads (box) make great frisbee's for the UPS and Fed Ex guys when delivering them.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #28 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancxg View Post

My brother in law delivered 35 today. When I asked him if he had ever delivered 35 of the same item to different houses before he said "no, not even for big game/movie releases."

Do you know how many deliveries in total he did today?

post #29 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you know how many deliveries in total he did today?

36. One Samsung Galaxy Tab. To a Samsung employee's mother in law's house.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #30 of 122
Mine won't ship before 4/3

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #31 of 122
I did not pre-order I just stopped by a local Apple store and got one..there is no shortage..the store I got it was well stocked.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #32 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

36. One Samsung Galaxy Tab. To a Samsung employee's mother in law's house.

Two of the 35 iPads must have been to the Samsung employee's house as well -- one for his use, and the other to crack open to start copying!
post #33 of 122
Quote:

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd waited all day for a delivery that never came, when you could've been doing anything else.
post #34 of 122
This is what my UPS tracking has showed for 40 hours:

Location\t Date\t Local Time\t Activity
Chengdu, China 03/15/2012\t 9:00 P.M.\t Arrival Scan
EPZ, China\t 03/15/2012\t 8:25 P.M.\t Departure Scan
EPZ, China 03/15/2012\t 7:27 P.M.\t Origin Scan
China\t 03/15/2012\t 7:46 A.M.\t Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Today (3/16), UPS said their tracking may not reflect where my and many other iPads actually
are, as often Scan info may be missing. They said our iPad may arrive today (didn't), or at the
latest by end-of-day Monday March 19th. I thought it's faster to travel from China to the US
going east (over Pacific) and not West (via Europe) so I sure hope UPS is correct.

We're still happy as we have Apple stock.
post #35 of 122
The tracker indicated that the truck was packed at around 6 in the morning. That is a good 12 hours. The driver looked like he had been sprinting all day. They must've sold huge a number of iPads today, well during the pre-release sale. The story appears to be the same all across the country, delivery trucks just packed with iPads.

Pretty amazing if you think about it.
post #36 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Mine was left with the Valet in my building i went to pick it up they had 12 of them (you can tell by the box) sitting there, and those are just the ones that the people weren't home to get.

When the smoke all settles, I think the only people who won't receive a new iPad are those who don't have a shipping address. Even the snarky guy who hangs around lines of Apple product buyers with his Samsung Note has ordered one.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #37 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

They fixed the production issue. This time around they ordered a sh1tload from Foxconn. They clearly learned from the iPhone 4S launch and others that they're always too conservative in producing enough for launch. This time around, it's the mother of all launches!
post #38 of 122
Quote:

Actually, what was sad was your inability to find any joy of expectantcy in yourself and stand so much in judgement of others when they can...
post #39 of 122
Interesting how Apple has sort of inverted the issue since the iPad 2 launch. There was no pre-order for the iPad 2 that got you a device on the launch day. So... GIANT lines at all the stores and very long waits. This time, pre-order was available right after announcement with the promise of delivery on launch day and the shipping infrastructure can't quite handle it, yet the lines at stores were shorter, and you can just go pick one up.

Not sure how to find a middle ground, but it looks like Apple was determined to have STOCK available this time around. They haven't been able to meet demand in the past. Presumably, if Apple can meet demand better, sales could be through the roof.

I'm curious how supplies really were. I felt pretty good about standing in line for my father-in-law to get the most expensive version. I'm sure some of those configurations are selling out in places, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, he loved it. It's fun to see the values that people place on different aspects of the device. Their ailing vision and patience for tweaking minutiae is making the iPad a dream device for them.
post #40 of 122
Received mine at 1pm as scheduled. The FedEx guy said he was just 'walking the neighborhood', there were so many ordered on my street. He also said they were going to be delivering late into the evening. Houston TX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Mountain of iPad pre-orders cause shipment delays