or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
AT&T announced on Monday that the launch of the new iPad set a new single-day record for sales and activations of Apple's touchscreen tablet.

The new 4G LTE-capable iPad went on sale last Friday, March 16, and in that 24-hour span, sales were the greatest AT&T has seen for a new iPad model. Previous, 3G-capable versions of the iPad were also sold through AT&T.

While the Friday launch was a record, AT&T declined to give specific numbers on just how many iPads were activated on its network, or how many the carrier sold in its stores or online.

The brief statement from the company said it saw "robust demand for the new iPad." It was released soon after Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a conference call with analysts that he was "thrilled" with the new iPad's launch weekend.

Though Cook also declined to give any specific sales figures, he did say that the third-generation iPad had gotten off to a record start over the weekend.

The new iPad is Apple's first-ever 4G LTE-capable device. Unique models compatible with the high-speed wireless data standard are available for both AT&T and Verizon, the two largest wireless carriers in the U.S.




As of last quarter, Apple sold 55 million total iPads to date. Predictions have called for Apple to sell one million of the new iPad over the launch weekend alone.

The iPad went on sale last Friday in a total of 10 countries, making it Apple's biggest launch yet. Wall Street analysts generally expect Apple will sell about 10.1 million iPads in the current March quarter.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 52
good news.
post #3 of 52
I had to call them to transfer my data plan (SIMs not compatible) and the young lady on the phone said that they have been doing iPad work all day long. They did grandfather my unlimited plan to LTE so I'm very pleased with them.
post #4 of 52
Well assuming 55M iPads sold then 5% is 2.7M. Its probably smaller, but ...
post #5 of 52
ATT is the most unorganized garbage company I have ever dealt with. I don't know how a company run by idiots can become so successful. Strong arm tactics maybe? Bullies were never considered smart.
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

I had to call them to transfer my data plan (SIMs not compatible) and the young lady on the phone said that they have been doing iPad work all day long. They did grandfather my unlimited plan to LTE so I'm very pleased with them.

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.

AT&T will throttle unlimited customers using LTE devices after they have surpassed 5GB of data in a billing cycle. For 3G or their pseudo 4G (HSPA+)devices the cap is 3GB.
post #8 of 52
Then Verizon's must be through the roof due to the fact that most buyers one would think would prefer a fully functioning new iPad- one without the hot spot feature crippled by AT&Fee.
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inbloom View Post

AT&T will throttle unlimited customers using LTE devices after they have surpassed 5GB of data in a billing cycle. For 3G or their pseudo 4G (HSPA+)devices the cap is 3GB.

good to know, thanks. Right now LTE is really fast, but you have to wonder how long that is going to last once everyone gets on it.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then Verizon's must be through the roof due to the fact that most buyers one would think would prefer a fully functioning new iPad- one without the hot spot feature crippled by AT&Fee.

I took my AT&T preorder in to Apple store and exchanged it for the Verizon model. I only use the data plan when I'm out and 250mb was enough to last the month. 5 dollars more for one gig and a hot spot, not to mention images for the high Rez display will probably eat that 250 mb much faster. Very happy with the Verizon plan.
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then Verizon's must be through the roof due to the fact that most buyers one would think would prefer a fully functioning new iPad- one without the hot spot feature crippled by AT&Fee.

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.
post #12 of 52
Wow really fast with only 5GB of data. That's like having a Ferrari that is only used on the weekends. Come to Europe where we still have unlimited contracts for 50 bucks. Granted we only get about 12MB\\s and not the 20+ LTE has but you can surf your butt off. I average about 32GB a month so 5GB would kill me as 12 is still pretty fast at least for me.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post

I took my AT&T preorder in to Apple store and exchanged it for the Verizon model. I only use the data plan when I'm out and 250mb was enough to last the month. 5 dollars more for one gig and a hot spot, not to mention images for the high Rez display will probably eat that 250 mb much faster. Very happy with the Verizon plan.

I was on the fence, waited a day, the went with VZ because I refuse to have AT&T cripple my new iPad right out of the box. It would be a reason to return the device for a replacement if any feature didn't work.
And I am in total agreement with you on the 250mb nonsense. With added data for hi res imagery etc. once you reach that cap- what- you then have to pay AT&t another $15?! They can stick it. Not to mention their deceptive advertising that they have the largest 4G network whereas they count HSPA into it? How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Their LTE coverage is severely limited. Utter BS.
So I get my iPad on Wednesday- I'm very happy w my decision.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Utter BS.

Cause it says LTE when it's on 4G LTE vs just 4G when on HSPA+. How is the Verizon "3G" data speeds in your main areas of usage?
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

How would you know if your on LTE or HSPA as the iPad only will say 4G? Utter BS.

Ha...well...any Verizon user will certainly know when they leave the 4G LTE for their 3G CDMA!
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Cause it says LTE when it's on 4G LTE vs just 4G when on HSPA+. How is the Verizon "3G" data speeds in your main areas of usage?

Not an issue as Vz has LTE COVERAGE.
How often does my AT&T iPhone drop to Edge? Never.
Expect the same.
Why would you buy a crippled device again?
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Ha...well...any Verizon user will certainly know when they leave the 4G LTE for their 3G CDMA!

Again we won't because we have COVERAGE.
Why settle for a crippled device? We have an option that you don't have. Sorry.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.

It an option you don't have and how do you know your going to get it soon? Link?
And if AT&T charges you? You say you don't want it yet seem like you do???
How is it easy to leave their footprint? Link again please.
Their map is extraoridary for LTE. http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...verage_Map.pdf
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Again we won't because we have COVERAGE.
Why settle for a crippled device? We have an option that you don't have. Sorry.

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!
post #20 of 52
As far as Verizon or AT&T... If not in a LTE market which I am not I'm sticking with my AT&T plan because of the iPad falling back to a HSPA+ network. Between by iPhone 4S and the new iPad I ping on average 70 to 90 and average around 5Mbps.

I had no issues again transferring my unlimited data plan to the new iPad. Did it through the web portal on the web but found out later I could have done it right through the iPad which was my only complaint about AT&T is that they didn't inform of the process they would have in place. I was however told by several different people at AT&T if you have an unlimited plan and transfer you will not have your data throttled since the orginal agreement didn't have data caps hence as to why they pulled the plan a couple of month later. I'll test this out here shortly when I'm in NYC and Orlando and plan to stream a lot from NHL.
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!

Does Vz dynamically update the map during those outages?
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Don't forget, Verizon also has major network LTE outages....4 since December! Ask those customers how it felt to bounce back to CDMA!

Sorry an outage is doable , lack of an option on my iPad is not.
Been there done that -when Europe and everywhere else could tether their iPhones while we w AT&t could not. Then we had no choice. It's a whole new ball game.
What is your option once you gobble up 250mbs? $15 more?
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Does Vz dynamically update the map during those outages?

You get a credit.
How much do you pay AT&T once you gobble up 250MB? Another $15?
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by slesherinyork View Post

As far as Verizon or AT&T... If not in a LTE market which I am not I'm sticking with my AT&T plan because of the iPad falling back to a HSPA+ network. Between by iPhone 4S and the new iPad I ping on average 70 to 90 and average around 5Mbps.

I had no issues again transferring my unlimited data plan to the new iPad. Did it through the web portal on the web but found out later I could have done it right through the iPad which was my only complaint about AT&T is that they didn't inform of the process they would have in place. I was however told by several different people at AT&T if you have an unlimited plan and transfer you will not have your data throttled since the orginal agreement didn't have data caps hence as to why they pulled the plan a couple of month later. I'll test this out here shortly when I'm in NYC and Orlando and plan to stream a lot from NHL.

Make sense - as you're on an unlimited. Hopefully you won't get throttled.
I only keep my AT&T iPhone ONLY because I too am grandfathered in.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

You get a credit.
How much do you pay AT&T once you gobble up 250mbs? Another $15?

Ahh, another option I would not have going with AT&T.

$0.00 I would not bother with a 250MB plan. Being an iPad user since rev 1.0 I'd know that 250MB wouldn't last a week. I size my plan better.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You might be better off with the 3GB and $10 per additional gig because they won't throttle you. If you are on the unlimited plan and reach 3 GB they can throttle you down to almost unusable speeds. That is what am thinking I may do if I go over and they throttle me. Either that or call them up and complain since I never even get close to 3 GB ever so if I did it would be a rare exception, but you never know with LTE, it could add up quickly.

I haven't had that problem and I even stream a lot. I suppose its an easy switch if it became a problem. I still prefer wifi though due to battery utilization.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Ahh, another option I would not have going with AT&T.

$0.00 I would not bother with a 250MB plan. Being an iPad user since rev 1.0 I'd know that 250MB wouldn't last a week. I size my plan better.

You could get 10GB for $80 w VZ- no? Is that sized too high for you?
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Ahh, another option I would not have going with AT&T.

$0.00 I would not bother with a 250MB plan. Being an iPad user since rev 1.0 I'd know that 250MB wouldn't last a week. I size my plan better.

You could get 10GB for $80 w VZ- no? Is that sized too high for you?

Sorry for the double post n errors - home w a cold.
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

You could get 10GB for $80 w VZ- no? Is that sized too high for you?

Sorry for the double post n errors - home w a cold.

One iPad sized at 3GB, one that gets turned on and off when hitting road trips so it's monthly, one iPad at unlimited. The big seller for me is decent network speed when I'm out of LTE areas. If you never wander out of LTE or AT&T UMTS/HSPA/HSPA/LTE coverage in your area blows, then who can disagree with your choice? Be happy and stop calling other people's choices "crippled"
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

One iPad sized at 3GB, one that gets turned on and off when hitting road trips so it's monthly, one iPad at unlimited. The big seller for me is decent network speed when I'm out of LTE areas. If you never wander out of LTE or AT&T UMTS/HSPA/HSPA/LTE coverage in your area blows, then who can disagree with your choice? Be happy and stop calling other people's choices "crippled"

OK. Makes sense.
But I wasn't calling their choices crippled, it's their iPads that are. At least for now.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

It an option you don't have and how do you know your going to get it soon? Link?
And if AT&T charges you? You say you don't want it yet seem like you do???
How is it easy to leave their footprint? Link again please.
Their map is extraoridary for LTE. http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...verage_Map.pdf

That is impressive, especially coming from the one of the biggest CDMA holdouts.
post #32 of 52
Actuallynat&t said that ipadsmare not been throttle on the unlimited plan. I did transfer my unlimited just by login to my AT&T account on the new iPad. No need to call them...

Speeds I'm getting 16m down and 14m up. In other cities in the US people aremgettingn40-50m down. Since 16 is way more than my home wifi I'm thinking of ending the service...
post #33 of 52
Arguing which is worse - AT&T or Verizon - is a complete waste of time. They both are terrible. Pick your poison, but remember your choice is really poison.
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

That is impressive, especially coming from the one of the biggest CDMA holdouts.

I think that's the part I find most ironic about some posts - quick to slam AT&T for labeling HSPA+ as 4G but so willing to a accept slow ass CDMA 2000 as 3G. Turnabout is fair play (unless you're married; then it's only fair if it's her).
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Actuallynat&t said that ipadsmare not been throttle on the unlimited plan. I did transfer my unlimited just by login to my AT&T account on the new iPad. No need to call them...

Speeds I'm getting 16m down and 14m up. In other cities in the US people aremgettingn40-50m down. Since 16 is way more than my home wifi I'm thinking of ending the service...

Are people really getting 40-50m down with AT&T's service? I can't seem to get that if I begged. I was struggling to get 9 or 10 with AT&T but with Verizon I was getting 29 down and 20 up...
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I disagree. The AT&T entry point is lower than Verizon's ($15 versus $20). Most of us use free wifi and only want 4G when we are in between wifi networks. AT&T also gives you 1GB more than Verizon at the $30 price point. Where I live, AT&T 4G LTE was much faster. 9to5 Mac also reached the same conclusion. If you leave a Verizon 4G footprint (still easy to do), you are stuck with their awful 3G CDMA.

The hot spot feature will be offered by AT&T soon. However, I don't think that many people want to lug around an iPad for a wifi hotspot.....the iPhone is a much better alternative.

Can you point me to the article on 9to5mac that says AT&T has faster LTE than Verizon? I haven't been able to verify that.
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think that's the part I find most ironic about some posts - quick to slam AT&T for labeling HSPA+ as 4G but so willing to a accept slow ass CDMA 2000 as 3G. Turnabout is fair play (unless you're married; then it's only fair if it's her).

I find it truly ironic that anyone on this site would accept AT&T's crippling an Apple iDevice because of their incompetency or trickery/thievery. That's all. It would only make sense if you had a grandfathered unlimited plan but now they may throttle you on that too.
I could care less what they call their 3.5G network.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Can you point me to the article on 9to5mac that says AT&T has faster LTE than Verizon? I haven't been able to verify that.

I couldn't find it either- sounds very Mike Daisyish.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

Arguing which is worse - AT&T or Verizon - is a complete waste of time. They both are terrible. Pick your poison, but remember your choice is really poison.

Tru dat- with the exception being that one cripples the device while the other one enhances it.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Tru dat- with the exception being that one cripples the device while the other one enhances it.

Which one does what depends on where you live, so each poison tastes good (well, for poison) depending on where it's made.

You wouldn't really consider deep dish pizza proper Chicago style unless it's made there, and you wouldn't eat saltwater taffy from Nebraska.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › AT&T sets single-day record for iPad sales, activations