or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › FAA's 'fresh look' at devices may allow iPad use during takeoff & landing

FAA's 'fresh look' at devices may allow iPad use during takeoff & landing - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would find that more persuasive if every flight on every commercial airline didn't tell you to turn off electronic devices.. I've never been on a plane where they announced that the electronic shielding was current and robust so we were free to keep our devices on, the indiscriminateness of which is kind of the point.

Excellent point.

If half the flights said "you can use electronic devices as this plane has been shielded and is safe", it'd make everyone think a little harder on the other half of flights.

I do wonder what they'll do though when they find that every device they ever test is fine. It's one thing to find that 1 in 20 of devices tested are problematic.... It justifies the precaution. But if none are found problematic it'll seem a more stupid rule for all.
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Your being pedantic. There are plenty of words we use every day without thinking twice about their etymology or how the original definition no longer applies.

The fallacy is believing other cultures actively altered colloquial terms because it no longer fit the original definition. Language simply doesn't work that way.

You're wrong, it's not a fallacy at all..

Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians: None of them call a "mobile phone" a "cell phone." Like I said, we are the only English speaking nation who says "cell phone" instead of mobile phone.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Brits, Aussies, New Zealanders, Canadians: None of them call a "mobile phone" a "cell phone." Like I said, we are the only English speaking nation who says "cell phone" instead of mobile phone.

If it's not a fallacy give me an examples where an entire nation or nations get together to collectively change a popular and well understood colloquial term simply because it's not the most accurate descriptor.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Cell phone is still the more common term in much of Canada.
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first...
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimak View Post

Cell phone is still the more common term in much of Canada.

I wonder how he would feel about calling a mobile phone a cordless phone and vice versa since both are accurate descriptors of each even though not accepted terms for the other.

post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder how he would feel about calling a mobile phone a cordless phone and vice versa since both are accurate descriptors of each even though not accepted terms for the other.

We had mobile phones long before we had cell phones. The ones I am familiar with were made by Motorola. They were quite expensive and were based on their regular mobile radio technology. I think that is partially the reason when cell phones came out they wanted to differentiate them from the legacy mobile phones by calling them cellular phones.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • FAA's 'fresh look' at devices may allow iPad use during takeoff & landing
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › FAA's 'fresh look' at devices may allow iPad use during takeoff & landing