or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

post #1 of 169
After announcing record sales of the third-generation iPad, Apple issued a statement that offers specific numbers regarding the tablet's performance since it debuted on March 16, revealing that three million units have been sold.

Update: This article has been updated to include discussion on whether Apple's numbers include preorders.

An official statement released by Apple on Monday validated an announcement made earlier by CEO Tim Cook during a conference call in which he claimed that the iPad enjoyed a record setting launch weekend.

During the early Monday call, which outlined a surprise stock dividend and buyback plan for the company's $100 billion cash hoard, Cook said that "[Apple] had a record weekend and we're thrilled with it," though the executive fell short of assigning concrete numbers to the claim.

“The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,” Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, said in the statement. “Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can’t wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.”

Because there was no mention made about presale numbers in Apple's prepared statement, it is unclear if any or all pre-ordered iPads were excluded from the 3 million units sold metric. It should be noted, however, that pre-ordered items are commonly not counted as sales until a transaction is complete and thus those iPads that are awaiting shipment were most likely not part of the final tally. For example, Apple did not include pre-sales in its breakdown of initial iPhone 4S sales in 2011.

The three day total represents a tenfold increase when compared to the 300,000 original iPad units sold on launch day in 2010. Although a day-by-day breakdown has not been revealed, initial projections estimated that Apple sold over 1 million units on the new device's launch day alone.

According to the statement, Apple managed to move the record number of iPads thanks to its largest simultaneous worldwide launch to date, which involved ten countries including US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands.

The newest iPad's rollout will continue with launches in 24 countries on March 23. Customers will be able to purchase the tablet at 8:00 a.m. through the online Apple Store, brick-and-mortar Apple Stores and authorized Apple resellers in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Apple's report is concurrent with an announcement AT&T made on Monday stating that the new iPad set new single-day sales and activation records for the nation's number two wireless carrier.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 169
So that's a twofer-- giant sales numbers plus great supply chain management. Looks like ole Tim is up to the job...
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 169
Wow! This is insane.
post #4 of 169
Whoa momma - thats a lot of happy customers, and I'm one of them
post #5 of 169
hahahahaha...!!! I am LOVING LIFE right now.... just wonderful....!!! $700 in less than a month...... and a couple new iPads to play with....
post #6 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So that's a twofer-- giant sales numbers plus great supply chain management. Looks like ole Tim is up to the job...

That's better than I swagged -- I included iPad 2s in my estimate of 3 Million...

AAPL closed at $601.10... up after hours to $605.40.

Likely the new iPad announcement is responsible for the $4 + change.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #7 of 169
Hmm, my armchair guess was 1.9M for just Launch Day. Anyone have just Friday day numbers in those 10 countries?
post #8 of 169
3 million x $650 (ARP) = $1.95 billion

How many CE companies take in less revenue in 3 months than that in a quarter than Apple took in for one product in one 3 day weekend.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #9 of 169
insanely great !
post #10 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

methinks Apple sold nowhere near 1 million new iPads. Demand sort of fizzled over here in Canada, that is to say that lots of people were lined up to buy them, but no one left empty handed and all the craigslist sales remain unsold. Either Apple fixed the supply problem or demand just wasn't what it was for iPad 2.

methinks one should eat ones hat
post #11 of 169
My prediction of 3-4 million was right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple probably sold 3-4 million this weekend.
post #12 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How many CE companies take in less revenue in 3 months than that in a quarter than Apple took in for one product in one 3 day weekend.

I wonder how the weekend's sales compare to total sales for some of the Android Tablets That Are Definitely Taking Over the Market Any Minute Now?

Seems like there's been some pretty sketchy numbers floated in the last month as to market share, that are getting repeated religiously without much sense of where they come from or how they're derived. I wonder if massive sales of the new iPad will tend to stifle such talk, or we'll keep hearing about this mysterious "60% market share" that Apple is apparently obliged to settle for.
post #13 of 169
O.M.Fn.G.

That is all.
post #14 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

methinks one should eat ones hat

I am to sexy for my hat?
post #15 of 169
Damn!!! That's a lot of people for Samesung to make fun of!!!
post #16 of 169
Hardly surprising.
post #17 of 169
Amazing numbers.
post #18 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hardly surprising.

I predict:

100 million iPads in 12 months.

$1000 per share by Dec 31.
post #19 of 169
Yawn.

Minor update.

Doom.
post #20 of 169
Quote:

And at a lower profit margin I'd wager.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #21 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I predict:

100 million iPads in 12 months.

$1000 per share by Dec 31.

I am pretty bullish but that's a bit extreme.

Would love to be proven wrong though.
post #22 of 169
Wow, I thought I was going pretty danged far out on the proverbial limb when I predicted 3-4 million iPads sold during the first weekend.

The sales curve of the iPad is greater than iPhone. Whoa!
post #23 of 169
Quote:

Gotta make money to pay out that dividend!
post #24 of 169
Three million iPads is impossible. There were claims that the crowds were thinner than tissue paper. Some said that there were more store employees than iPad buyers at Apple retail stores. The NEW iPad is supposedly barely a minor update to the iPad 2 and considered a major disappointment by the tech geniuses who hold court over the consumer tech industry. I'm sure there were claims that most consumers were going to hold off buying iPads in order to buy Windows 8 tablets in November. I saw articles that gave 20 reasons for consumers not to upgrade to the NEW iPad. Kindle Fires are supposed to be majorly stealing market share from the iPad. Three million iPads sold in a weekend? No way.

/s
post #25 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

My prediction of 3-4 million was right!

I almost made it within my 500k window. I suppose next time I'll have to widen it. From now on all my estimates have a margin or error of infinity.

post #26 of 169
Notice how Apple boldly says "sold"?

Not some weasel-y word like "shipped"?

Lovin' it!
post #27 of 169
Doomed! Beleaguered! Shut it down and return the money to the stockholders!1! They should have licensed OS X! Where's the X Mac?!?! Switching to Windows!

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #28 of 169
I definitely picked the right wrong time to sell my AAPL a few weeks ago.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #29 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

And at a lower profit margin I'd wager.

Unless you are Tim Cook, I wouldn't take that bet.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Ouch!!!
post #31 of 169
Quote:

On the plus side (if one could call it that) if the economy tanks again, you might be in a good position to load up again.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The three day total represents a tenfold increase when compared to the 300,000 iPad 2 units sold on launch day in 2010.

Typo: This should be "first generation iPad" not "iPad 2." The iPad 2 sold 1 million units during its opening weekend:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72D30020110314

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #33 of 169
Corrupt Russia doesn't even have an Apple store.
post #34 of 169
The rest of the month includes all the folks that wanted to get a look at one in store before buying, people who figured they'd let the hysteria die down before bothering, and a big worldwide rollout in a bunch more countries. Any guesses on what sale will be by April? Or for the quarter?
post #35 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After announcing record sales of the third-generation iPad, Apple has issued a statement that offers specific numbers regarding the tablet's performance since it debuted on March 16, saying that some 3 million copies were sold.

Yes but how many genuine ones were sold? Seriously, what a number!
post #36 of 169
The ipad hype machine certain was in overdrive wasn't it and fooled a lot of folks into buying one. Not that I mind however my apple stock is doing really well.

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

My take - if you own a iPad2 don't hold your breath, and now an iPad2 is $100 cheaper to compete with the "goggle" tablet when it comes out! (deliberate typo)

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)
post #37 of 169
Does it include all pre-orders on the weekend that aren't shipped yet?
post #38 of 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Does it include all pre-orders on the weekend that aren't shipped yet?

They said 3M sold, so I would think that pre-orders were included in that number.

Wow, just wow. Go Apple go!
post #39 of 169
Quote:

Don't you just love it when you're right??!!
post #40 of 169
Quote:

I keep thinking it's a good time to sell mine, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I mean, there's gotta be a correction at some point, right? Right? It's been on an incredible run this year.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]