or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple stock closes past $600 milestone for first time

Apple stock closes past $600 milestone for first time

post #1 of 58
Riding on a stock incentives plan and reports of record third-generation sales, Apple stock on Monday finally surged past the once elusive $600 barrier it has been tickling for the past few days.

After days of passing $600 intraday prices, only to fall back below the mark by the close of trading, Apple shares received a $15.53 bump which represented a 2.65 percent on Monday to finish at $601.10 for the first time in company history.

Apple stock has seen a meteoric rise, and has gained over 200 points since the end of December 2011.

The watershed price was fueled in part by an announcement earlier in the day in which CEO Tim Cook revealed that the company will be using part of its $100 billion in cash to offer a quarterly dividend of $2.65 per share and initiate a stock buyback program. The dividends are scheduled to kick in during Apple's fourth fiscal quarter of 2012, which begins on July 1. Both initiatives are expected to cost the company $45 billion over the next three years.

Another factor driving the bump in price per share was Cook's statement regarding the record-setting launch weekend enjoyed by Apple's third-generation iPad.

It was revealed after the markets closed on Monday that since the tablet's March 16 launch date, some 3 million new iPads were sold by Apple's retail stores and authorized resellers. The number does not include pre-orders made through Apple's online store, which were reportedly so voluminous that shipping companies were having trouble keeping up with deliveries on launch day.

Apple stock has enjoyed a steady rise, and is now worth over $600 per share. | Source:

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 58
Steve has a big smile looking down...

Well done Team Apple!

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

post #3 of 58
Only $33 per share to go before Apple is finally worth more than Google!

And THAT, chronster, was a trolling comment.
post #4 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought Apple was already worth A LOT more than Google?
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You just don't get it do you?
post #6 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Worth more per share, hence it being a trolling comment. AAPL is at 604.30, GOOG is at 632.75. Apple's valuation is about 2.75x more than Google.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 58
AAPL market cap is now $150 Billion greater than XOM... AIR, they were trading places a month, or so, ago..

AAPL $ 560,447,607,000

XOM $ 410,003,094,790

The new iPad is going to revolutionize the way you poop while playing pointless games.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #8 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ban the Troll!
post #9 of 58
Since December: 400 500 600

Next Stops: 700 800 900

And it gets so much easier....

500 was a 25% gain from 400
600 was a 20% gain from 500

700 is 17% from 600
800 is 14% from 700
900 is 13% from 800
post #10 of 58
I bought some AAPL today @600.50 in the premarket in anticipation of the financial announcement.

About 10 minutes later, some huge fucking bear comes along and swoosh! AAPL drops $15 in about 2 minutes.

Luckily for me, things turned out ok, because I just hung onto it and I held it until it slowly climbed it's way back up.
post #11 of 58
Now the shareholders have their dividends is there any chance the share price will stabilise and we can get back to talking about the products.

Maybe someone should create a forum specifically for Apple shareholders to whine on incessantly about the share price and the dividend to their hearts content without boring the rest of us to tears.
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

700 is 17% from 600
800 is 14% from 700
900 is 13% from 800

LoL, That is the Law of Large Numbers!
I liked the 1, 2 punch. Apple announces dividend and buy back before the market opens; then Apple announces record 3 millions sales of the new iPad after close.

And of course, Apple is Doomed.
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Maybe someone should create a forum specifically for Apple shareholders to whine on incessantly about the share price and the dividend to their hearts content without boring the rest of us to tears.

We can call it, "AppleInsider Trading"!
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I bought some AAPL today @600.50 in the premarket in anticipation of the financial announcement.

About 10 minutes later, some huge fucking bear comes along and swoosh! AAPL drops $15 in about 2 minutes.

Luckily for me, things turned out ok, because I just hung onto it and I held it until it slowly climbed it's way back up.

Now that you've taken the plunge: forget that you bought it, for a good while. Take the long view.

Don't be like Ireland.
post #15 of 58
Quote:

Actually, you would be in the wrong forum, because this is AAPL Investors.
post #16 of 58
. . .

post #17 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Now that you've taken the plunge: forget that you bought it, for a good while. Take the long view.

Don't be like Ireland.

I can admit when I'm wrong, and I've definitely made a couple of wrong moves lately. I guess my excuse is that I am new to this whole thing, so it was kind of exciting.

I did sell today, so I'm holding nothing at the moment. But, I am definitely going long soon, when the next opportunity presents itself. I am not waiting for a huge pullback, because that might not happen, and people will end up waiting forever, but I am waiting on a little pullback at least.
post #18 of 58
Apple announces a $2.65 dividend and then closes UP 2.65%. If that aint a sign from the Longview Gods, then I don't know what is!
post #19 of 58
Quote:

Now the shareholders have their dividends is there any chance the share price will stabilise and we can get back to talking about the products.

Why not skip the posts with headings specifically about such things? To post such a whine on a thread specifically about such things is boring me to tears.

p.s. Why not buy a few and feel the joy yourself. Heck, I bough both of my grandkids a very modest amount a few years back and see today they are worth north of 22K! I assure you you won't regret it in about five years.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #20 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

700 is 17% from 600
800 is 14% from 700
900 is 13% from 800

Now re do it taking into account the time between these gains and see what the % gain is in time periods.
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why not skip the posts with headings specifically about such things? To post such a whine on a thread specifically about such things is boring me to tears.

p.s. Why not buy a few and feel the joy yourself. Heck, I bough both of my grandkids a very modest amount a few years back and see today they are worth north of 22K! I assure you you won't regret it in about five years.

I will do just that coz honestly all this share price and dividends stuff bores me to death.

If you didn't invest 2 or 3 years ago before the share price skyrocketed there really is no point investing now. To get the same returns APPL would have to rise to $1200.

Good luck with your shares. I hope they make you very rich. It's not for me though.
post #22 of 58
Quote:

If you didn't invest 2 or 3 years ago before the share price skyrocketed there really is no point investing now.

What a ridiculous comment.
post #23 of 58
Quote:

I will do just that coz honestly all this share price and dividends stuff bores me to death.

If you didn't invest 2 or 3 years ago before the share price skyrocketed there really is no point investing now. To get the same returns APPL would have to rise to $1200.

Good luck with your shares. I hope they make you very rich. It's not for me though.

That is the type of scared and closed-minded thinking that keeps people from being successful.

Since before 2007, I have heard people saying that Apple has nothing in the pipeline, and that they were being crushed by Microsoft.

Here are some conservative predictions that I made not too long ago:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=1#post2044987
post #24 of 58
Quote:

What a foolish thing to say. 2-3 years ago people like you said the same thing you are saying. Because you can't conceive of the largest company getting larger doesn't mean it can't happen. In fact, mathematically it very well can and will happen.

When Apple was at an all time low at less than $6.50 per share people like you were saying that "Apple is almost out of business, no point investing now" and at some point it switches to 'Apple is over inflated, no point investing now."

That simply isn't how the reality works. Do you think Apple is a growth company? Do think their products will continue to sell? Do you think the stock will grow faster than other, safer, investment options? Do you think there stock will grow faster than other companies you could invest in?

At some point investors have to decide to think rationally about a company's future and let their emotions go. The market might run on greed and fear but you don't have to.

post #25 of 58
Quote:

I have aapl options I bought less than a month ago that have quadrupled in value.

That was definitely worth it to me.
post #26 of 58
Quote:

let me get this straight, you are on this website and NOT a shareholder?
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

I wasn't aware that this website was just for shareholders. I'm not a shareholder nor do I ever intend to be one. I am however interested in reading about Apple rumours. When I first joined this website it was all about the products. Clearly things have changed.
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What a ridiculous comment.

Well you would know all about ridiculous comments as that's all you ever make
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuse View Post

There are very few AAPL shareholders of record, about 28,500 according to the last proxy statement. Of those, there are 1,750 institutions and another couple thousand are probably Apple employees buying via ESPP.

Thus, the number of individual investors with direct holdings of AAPL is probably less than 25,000 people.

In reading various tech forums and stock threads, it is quite clear that only a small percentage of people are direct shareholders of any given equity (MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, CSCO, INTC, etc.).

In these stock threads here at AI, MacRumors, etc. it appears that roughly three-quarters of the participants do not have direct ownership of AAPL. They're probably indirect owners via some mutual fund sitting in a mutual fund, but they aren't getting proxy ballots or invitations to attend the annual shareholders meeting. There are a number of former AAPL shareholders as well.

The threads about the shareholders meeting or the Apple board of directors are probably the most revealing. You can tell who actually owns shares and who doesn't.
post #30 of 58
Quote:

I wasn't aware that this website was just for shareholders. I'm not a shareholder nor do I ever intend to be one. I am however interested in reading about Apple rumours. When I first joined this website it was all about the products. Clearly things have changed.

I think what he means, quite clearly, is: why are you wasting your time in a thread whose title is very straightforward and descriptive about what the topic is!?

Please stop going on with your meaningless questions. Given the context of this specific thread.
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

That is the type of scared and closed-minded thinking that keeps people from being successful.

Is it really. I thought it was just someone expressing an honest opinion. I don't think the share price will reach the levels some of you believe so I have better options. However I don't like to tell others what to do or not to do so if anyone wants to buy APPL good luck to them but it's not for me.
post #32 of 58
Quote:

However I don't like to tell others what to do or not to do so if anyone wants to buy APPL good luck to them but it's not for me.

What does the stock symbol for Appell Petroleum have to do with this discussion?
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

What does the stock symbol for Appell Petroleum have to do with this discussion?

Ok AAPL then. Happy now?
post #34 of 58
Quote:

Thus, the number of individual investors with direct holdings of AAPL is probably less than 25,000 people.

Only 25,000? That is fascinating stuff. The way people go on about it, you'd think that the entire world owned a few shares. I feel pretty special now.
post #35 of 58
Quote:

Ok AAPL then. Happy now?

Just to reiterate, if you don't enjoy the stock talk, you are free to abstain. The article titles make it pretty clear which threads are stock talk and which aren't.

Tech forums such as AppleInsider, MacRumors, etc. can't be expected to interest every single reader with every single thread. Heck, there are Mac people who hate the number of iOS-related threads.

There is no requirement here (or anywhere else on the Internet for that matter) to enjoy and participate in everything being discussed.

Somewhere on the Internet, there are forums about professional wrestling or knitting lace doilies. I don't participate in those forums although I'm certain that there are people passionate about such matters.

If you disagree with AI's editorial decisions, you are free to go elsewhere, like Gizmodo or Engadget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Only 25,000? That is fascinating stuff. The way people go on about it, you'd think that the entire world owned a few shares. I feel pretty special now.

I don't find it particularly fascinating. The number of direct investors for any given equity is pretty small; it has been like this for many years. To invest well, one needs to put in some effort and most people are too lazy so they just buy some mutual funds in a retirement account and let the professional fund managers do all the heavy lifting.

I don't think direct ownership of any equity makes you special. It does make you different.
post #36 of 58
Quote:

There are very few AAPL shareholders of record, about 28,500 according to the last proxy statement. Of those, there are 1,750 institutions and another couple thousand are probably Apple employees buying via ESPP.

In reading various tech forums and stock threads, it is quite clear that only a small percentage of people are direct shareholders of any given equity (MSFT, GOOG, AAPL, CSCO, INTC, etc.).

In these stock threads here at AI, MacRumors, etc. it appears that roughly three-quarters of the participants do not have direct ownership of AAPL. They're probably indirect owners via some mutual fund sitting in a mutual fund, but they aren't getting proxy ballots or invitations to attend the annual shareholders meeting. There are a number of former AAPL shareholders as well.

The threads about the shareholders meeting or the Apple board of directors are probably the most revealing. You can tell who actually owns shares and who doesn't.

I am shocked it is so few that hold directly! I have personally been responsible for five of them joining those ranks in the last two years. In all cases they berate me for not a) persuading them sooner and b) for not stressing they should have bought even more.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL market cap is now $150 Billion greater than XOM... AIR, they were trading places a month, or so, ago..

AAPL $ 560,447,607,000

XOM $ 410,003,094,790

The new iPad is going to revolutionize the way you poop while playing pointless games.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 58
Quote:

Ok AAPL then. Happy now?

I am sorry my initial comment started this for you, it seems to have become a bit rough ... I was seriously just suggesting you skip the financial posts as I always try to skip anything that looks like turning into a USA style right v left political hate fest ... and regarding your reply to my suggestion you join us with a few shares, IMHO Apple has a very long way to go and it is not too late to make a significant gain and now with dividends no less
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And they're worth, what, 17x what Dell is now?
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I often debate which is funnier ... that one or RIM's comments about Apple not understanding the phone market when the iPhone was released. .

I won't even give any of Ballmer's foot in mouth comments a mention ...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple stock closes past $600 milestone for first time