or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 
Apple on Tuesday officially commented on concerns that the new iPad runs at a temperature warmer than its predecessor, and stated that the new device falls "well within" its specifications.

"The new iPad delivers a stunning Retina display, A5X chip, support for 4G LTE plus 10 hours of battery life, all while operating well within our thermal specifications, Apple spokeswoman Trudy Miller said in a statement to The Loop. "If customers have any concerns, they should contact AppleCare."

The quick response came only hours after an infrared test of the new iPad showed it running 10 degrees hotter than the previous-generation iPad 2. The new iPad was measured at 92.5 degrees Fahrenheit, while the iPad 2 measured 83 degrees Fahrenheit.

The temperatures of the new iPad, however, remain well within Apple's specified operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0 to 35 degreed Celsius.

Higher temperatures associated with the new iPad are likely because of the quad-core graphics processing found on the new A5X chip. Apple also added a new metal heat spreader to the processor that powers the third-generation tablet.

Users who have discussed the temperature of the new iPad on Apple's official support forums have generally said that the device operates warmer than the iPad 2, but there have been very few claims of iPads overheating or becoming too hot to touch. And many others have said they have not noticed any temperature difference with the new iPad.

The heat is said to emanate from the bottom left corner of the device, and some users have said they managed to reduce the temperature of the new iPad by reducing the brightness of the new high-resolution Retina display.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 54
That's cutting it close - sounds like no back cover for me this time. A sleeve will suffice.
post #3 of 54
"The temperatures of the new iPad, however, remain well within Apple's specified operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0 to 35 degrees Celsius."


Given my experience with Apple products, I'm inclined to take their word for it, but if you told me to stand on a platform sixty-three feet in diameter and I stood two and a half feet away from the edge, I'd call that "toeing the line"...not "well within" the specified range. Like I said, however, given my experience, I don't expect to hear about any serious issues.
post #4 of 54
All the accessory makers will soon start selling "the new iPad cooler."

Want to avoid third degree burns? Use "the new iPad cooler." The silent fan keeps it cool.
post #5 of 54
Quote:
The temperatures of the new iPad, however, remain well within Apple's specified operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0 to 35 degreed Celsius.

I could have sworn that meant 'the ambient temperature in which you use said product', not anything about the product itself.

The MacBook Pro family says the exact same thing, but we all know they work perfectly fine when their internal temperature reports WAY WAY WAY above that.

Oh, no! My Mac Pro's northbridge idles at 149ºF! It must be ready to BLOW!

Oh, wait, it's supposed to do that.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 54
Three people have complained about being hot. My original iPad gets warm, especially after extended hours watching hot porn.
post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I could have sworn that meant 'the ambient temperature in which you use said product', not anything about the product itself.

The MacBook Pro family says the exact same thing, but we all know they work perfectly fine when their internal temperature reports WAY WAY WAY above that.

Oh, no! My Mac Pro's northbridge idles at 149ºF! It must be ready to BLOW!

Oh, wait, it's supposed to do that.

However, the FLIR photo measures the external temperatures of the device. It can't directly measure the chip temperatures with other devices in the way.

I'm not worried for anyone just yet. It is also known that the backlight consumes about 2.5 more power than the previous model (was 2.something watts, now 7 watts), so as the article mentions, owners can turn down the brightness. The explanation that the GPU is more powerful doesn't explain why the whole device is warmer (not just near the GPU), but the backlight does, so it's probably a combination of the two.

I'm pretty sure a laptop computer's surfaces get hotter than that pretty easily, which is why manuals tell users not to actually use them on their laps, despite the popular name of the device.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
The heat is said to emanate from the bottom left corner of the device, and some users have said they managed to reduce the temperature of the new iPad by reducing the brightness of the new high-resolution Retina display.

All I have is the original iPad, and in my experience, the screen is always too bright and have to use it at the minimum value, unless, of course, it's used under the sun. And they say the new iPad is even brighter... guess I won't have temperature issues.
post #9 of 54
There’s no free lunch—with power comes heat—but if you want a less powerful device that remains cool (which I do like!) then the iPad 2 is still for sale. I’d hate to give up the retina display over it, but it’s an option.

I keep my iPad 2 at middle brightness, but I drop it to minimum in dark rooms and raise it to max in sunlight. (Never noticed it affecting heat.)

It’s actually kind of odd that I never noticed 3D games making my iPad get hot, since I DO notice that on all my past iPhones. I know data transmission is a factor, but I get heat from 3D games regardless of any data being sent. So I tend to think of the new iPad’s heat as normal, and the iPad 2’s lack of heat as a pleasant surprise!
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I could have sworn that meant 'the ambient temperature in which you use said product', not anything about the product itself.

The MacBook Pro family says the exact same thing, but we all know they work perfectly fine when their internal temperature reports WAY WAY WAY above that..

That's correct. Apple's operating parameters are for external temperature. They say that you can safely operate the device when the external temperature is up to 95 degrees. The internal temperatures (and even the case temperature) could be well over that.

So far, no reports of thermal shutdowns, so Apple is probably correct - no evidence of a design defect. And note that the 'problem' only occurs when running the GPUs flat out. Unless you're continuously playing action games, it's not likely to be a problem.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's correct. Apple's operating parameters are for external temperature. They say that you can safely operate the device when the external temperature is up to 95 degrees. The internal temperatures (and even the case temperature) could be well over that.


Ah...that makes more sense. It's strange, though, that Apple Insider would choose to name that specification in a sentence concerning interior heat. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
post #12 of 54
Considering that the normal human body temperature is 97ᵒF - 99ᵒF, I think we're ok.
post #13 of 54
I heard that Apple is releasing a special edition iPad for anybody who whines about the new one being slightly warm.

It will feature a battery that is half the size of the current battery. Of course, it will only last for 5 hours, but too fucking bad.

It will also feature a single core processor with a half core GPU and It will run even cooler than the iPad 1. You will not have the power to use 74% of all available apps, but too fucking bad.

The main killer feature on the special edition iPad will be the anti-retina display. This display will have half the resolution of the iPad 1. Things may not look all that sharp anymore, but too fucking bad, it'll run cooler and require less resources.
post #14 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's correct. Apple's operating parameters are for external temperature. They say that you can safely operate the device when the external temperature is up to 95 degrees. The internal temperatures (and even the case temperature) could be well over that.

So far, no reports of thermal shutdowns, so Apple is probably correct - no evidence of a design defect. And note that the 'problem' only occurs when running the GPUs flat out. Unless you're continuously playing action games, it's not likely to be a problem.

Agreed, I'll add that since the temps mentioned are no where near the reflow point of solder, there isn't much here other than some wasted time reading all this junk...
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #15 of 54
Steve would have made them try a software fix or materials change or something. If they're not sourcing and experimenting with solutions now, it's not the same company it was.

This includes antennagate, which resulted in a design change after the initial denials.
post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Three people have complained about being hot. My original iPad gets warm, especially after extended hours watching hot porn.

Has their stance changed; is that now allowed¿
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Agreed, I'll add that since the temps mentioned are no where near the reflow point of solder, there isn't much here other than some wasted time reading all this junk...

It's not that simple. The reported temperatures are on the exterior of the case. The internal temperatures will be much higher - so it is impossible to simply state that it's OK since it's not near the reflow point of solder. (In addition, it's possible for thermal damage to occur besides melting of solder, so that's not the only temperature limit to be concerned about).

The only real comment possible is the one that Apple made. The company that designed the device and make its operational specifications says it's not a problem. So unless people start seeing thermal failures, it's a non-issue.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #18 of 54
The only time I have found it getting warm was taking a 10min HD video, where the left side of the iPad became noticeably warmer than the rest.
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I heard that Apple is releasing a special edition iPad for anybody who whines about the new one being slightly warm.

It will feature a battery that is half the size of the current battery. Of course, it will only last for 5 hours, but too fucking bad.

It will also feature a single core processor with a half core GPU and It will run even cooler than the iPad 1. You will not have the power to use 74% of all available apps, but too fucking bad.

The main killer feature on the special edition iPad will be the anti-retina display. This display will have half the resolution of the iPad 1. Things may not look all that sharp anymore, but too fucking bad, it'll run cooler and require less resources.

and they shall call it "PlayBook".
post #20 of 54
Yet it still runs cooler than the human body.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

and they shall call it "PlayBook".

Only if you also removed the ability to run most of the better applications and gave it a plasticy feel. Otherwise I would rather have the fictional 'halfpad' product described then the playbook.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Theres no free lunchwith power comes heatbut if you want a less powerful device that remains cool (which I do like!) then the iPad 2 is still for sale. Id hate to give up the retina display over it, but its an option.

snip !

When they move to 28nm, or less, the heat from the processor will decrease. Things like the LED backlight loading wouldn't change though. I wonder how much of the power is consumed in the processor vs the rest of the electonics.
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Steve would have made them try a software fix or materials change or something.

Steve hasn't been dead for six months. For all we know this is his design, his specs and he saw the final prototypes and their test results, with these temps, before he died.

Quote:
This includes antennagate, which resulted in a design change after the initial denials.

That change had to do with adding CDMA to the phones, the GSM only ones stayed exactly the same. The issue wasn't the phones, it was shitty ATT service zones and the media hyping things up.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #24 of 54
I smell lawsuit! I bet some moron will but it in his lap and burn his nether regions...good riddance to that gene pool.
post #25 of 54
Might be an idea if you post in this thread to mention whether you have the LTE radios or not... that can make a difference. My WiFi only putz bought last Friday gets barely warm watching a 2 hour movie.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...The main killer feature on the special edition iPad will be the anti-retina display. This display will have half the resolution of the iPad 1. Things may not look all that sharp anymore, but too fucking bad, it'll run cooler and require less resources.

And, being special edition, it will be pricer... but too fucking bad
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The temperatures of the new iPad, however, remain well within Apple's specified operating temperature of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit, or 0 to 35 degreed Celsius.

You are misreading that specification; that is the ambient temperature, not the surface temperature. From the IR photos, the ambient temperature is around 72 degrees, or the unit operates at a 20 degree temperature rise. At a 95F ambient, you would expect the temperature to be close to 115F, or hot to the touch.

What was odd about the thermal images is that there was no hot spot; the back was fairly uniform temperature.

Looks like we will be seeing covers with thermal channels in them for the back.
post #28 of 54
I've been using my iPad all over the place since Friday and have noticed it getting hot.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I've been using my iPad all over the place since Friday and have noticed it getting hot.

As a young black man I've been pulled over by police many times and never once sensed racism even in my ritzy mainly white town...therefore police brutality and racism do not exist?

I agree with your implication that this isn't an issue...but I wanted to point out your logical flaw.
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Steve hasn't been dead for six months. For all we know this is his design, his specs and he saw the final prototypes and their test results, with these temps, before he died.



That change had to do with adding CDMA to the phones, the GSM only ones stayed exactly the same. The issue wasn't the phones, it was shitty ATT service zones and the media hyping things up.

My comment had more to do with the response to criticism than the initial design.
post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Steve would have made them try a software fix or materials change or something. If they're not sourcing and experimenting with solutions now, it's not the same company it was.

This includes antennagate, which resulted in a design change after the initial denials.

Only took 15 posts to invoke Steve Jobs and how this is not the same company as when he was alive.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I smell lawsuit! I bet some moron will but it in his lap and burn his nether regions...good riddance to that gene pool.

Well Consumer Reports is now 'investigating' so you can be sure the media will try and turn this into heat-gate. And all the anti-Apple tech blogs will flog it for all it's worth.
post #33 of 54
It's warmer than my iPad 2 but cooler than my MacBook when playing flash.
post #34 of 54
Bummer they didn't use 28nm chips for whatever reason. Staying with 45nm for another year isn't ideal. Sure they made up for it with the battery, but it could last longer with 28nm, and probably not have this heat problem.

Interesting though that the PS Vita has not only the same quad core graphics, but twice as many CPU cores at the same clock speed and doesn't have a heat spreader. As I understand they switched to flip chip (which is less efficient) to give the GPU closer access to the memory, but how did the Vita do it then?
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

As I understand they switched to flip chip (which is less efficient) to give the GPU closer access to the memory, but how did the Vita do it then?

I've never used the Vita, but does it power a device with a 9.7" retina display and a battery the size of an encyclopedia(lol)?
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorical View Post

Steve would have made them try a software fix or materials change or something. If they're not sourcing and experimenting with solutions now, it's not the same company it was.

You think Steve's go ahead isn't all over this iPad? you think they had no intention on adding the Retina Display and all the needed HW but when Jobs passed away in that fateful day in October Cook switched gears and decided to get the Retina Display, the backlight, the quad-core GPU, moving the RAM off the ASIC, expanding the battery and casing at the ass end of the year ei get before they would have to start producing these devices in quantity? Makes perfect sense¡

Quote:
This includes antennagate, which resulted in a design change after the initial denials.

You mean that external antenna that persisted on that fatally flawed iPhone 4 for not just 12 months but for 15 months as the flagship device and is still being sold today almost 2 years later? Or do you mean the external antenna design that has continued on with the iPhone 4S.

If you're going to make a stupid claim that because Apple tweaked a design it means it's flawed then every single device that has been updated has been inherently faulty.

But if you want to me more specific tell us why the WiFi in the iPhone 4 was flawed but that antenna did go from being external to completely internal. Of course you know nothing of that because that wasn't a talking point on in the Troll Times manifesto.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Bummer they didn't use 28nm chips for whatever reason. Staying with 45nm for another year isn't ideal. Sure they made up for it with the battery, but it could last longer with 28nm, and probably not have this heat problem.

Interesting though that the PS Vita has not only the same quad core graphics, but twice as many CPU cores at the same clock speed and doesn't have a heat spreader. As I understand they switched to flip chip (which is less efficient) to give the GPU closer access to the memory, but how did the Vita do it then?

Are there any 28nm Img Tech GPUs shipping in quantity? If you mean the CPU, that isnt the issue and AnandTech has shown that anything less than 40nm simply isn't a reality right now.

For the 6th gen iPhone I think 32/28nm is very much a reality based on reports.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Only took 15 posts to invoke Steve Jobs and how this is not the same company as when he was alive.

Dead Steve is the new Hitler. I think we had best get used to it. For instance, just this morning I spilled coffee on my shirt, and I couldn't help but think "If Steve were still alive this would have never happened!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

As a young black man I've been pulled over by police many times and never once sensed racism even in my ritzy mainly white town...therefore police brutality and racism do not exist?

I agree with your implication that this isn't an issue...but I wanted to point out your logical flaw.

I think he was just remarking on his experience, rather than claiming no iPads get warm.

At any rate, that's a terrible analogy, in that any given interaction of the police and the citizenry is going to be unique and fraught with variables, whereas the general behavior of electronic devices is pretty predictable. If there's a design flaw we would expect most if not all iPads to get warmer than they should, if there's a manufacturing flaw we would expect some percentage of iPads to do that, and if there is neither we would that none of them would.

My guess is just what Apple says: they get warmer, that isn't a problem, and what people are reporting is contingent on what they consider warm and how hard they drive the device.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Only took 15 posts to invoke Steve Jobs and how this is not the same company as when he was alive.

Quick! Call it "Rogifan's Law", and you'll be famous (well, at least get on Wikipedia).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple says new iPad operates 'well within our thermal specifications'