or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games - Page 4

post #121 of 175
Seriously I think you need to step back and think about what you are saying. Many of us have had iPad 3 since Friday and have yet to experience any thermal issues. That is when doing a variety of things on the machine. So how is that Consumer Reports has been able to fabricate this report.

Well they actually detail some of what they have done, including the highly improbable activity iPod playing one game in a fixed position for over an hour. So really who is out of line here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.

You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

It doesn't forgive Consumer Reports doing bad here even if they have done good else where. I mean really you don't let your kids have a free pass when they do something bad even if they have also done something good for the day. The problem here is that CR is devianting from the good that they have done significantly. If you can't see that the so be it, just don't expect much support from the rest of the crowd here!
post #122 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why did adding VZW necessitate a change in design?

Do you not know anything about radio design?

Quote:
Is the VZW iPhone 4S different from ATTs on the outside? No.

Yes. It is. Visibly, as well as internally.

Quote:
That was all an excuse to change/fix the design.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. And yes, I just turned the ill-fitting metaphor outward on someone anti-Apple. I may be the first person in Apple history to do that. Boo-yah.

Quote:
They didn't do it for the ATT version because it would've been an admission of a flaw.

Which explains why the AT&T model hasn't sold a single unit since then because we've been hearing nothing about the iPhone except how terrible the antenna continues to be in every single country and obviously the OH WAIT THAT'S WRONG.

There's no conspiracy. There's no lack of 'admission of flaw'. Antennagate wasn't a problem with an Apple product. Get over it.
post #123 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yay! Free bumpers for everyone.

You mean free refrigerators?
post #124 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple then where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.




What would we do without you!

Always the right answer to reviews from Crap Reports.

post #125 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwell View Post

It's because these fucking losers get butt-hurt at the mere suggestion that everything Apple does might not be perfect.

Just a quick note to anyone who might be tempted to respond to this: just report it. Red exclamation mark down there at the bottom left of the post below the user name.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #126 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

No one's opposing legitimate concerns. Their just saying, and rightfully so, that Consumer Reports has its own agenda and it's wise to acknowledge it.

My problem is with your statement "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Has there ever been anyone with absolute power who isn't or didn't become corrupt? That's a blanket statement that unfairly judges someone before they did corruption. There's nothing saying one must become corrupt because they have a lot of power. George Washington had all the power of the US government and he could have acted as a King but he turned over the reigns of power back to the people. I understand that this sentiment has its place, but not in this discussion, so please spare us your anecdotal clichés.
post #127 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consumer Reports, the consumer advocacy group that gained notoriety for refusing to recommend Apple's iPhone 4 because of its external antenna, has tested Apple's new iPad and found it can heat up to 116 degrees when running graphic-intensive games

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.
post #128 of 175
If Apple can find a way to crank up the heat a little more it'll become a very versatile camping tool.

A stove, a kettle and an internet communicator...
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #129 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just a quick note to anyone who might be tempted to respond to this: just report it. Red exclamation mark down there at the bottom left of the post below the user name.

... and then add to your ignore list
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #130 of 175
I know you mean well here but as crude as it was stated the guy has a point. In any event I could really appreciate a little less censorship on the Internet. Seems like every time I turn around there is another person using his perverted sense of reality to try to censor another part of the net.

I find it especially perplexing that the suicide of children is now yet another reason to enlist the censors. As sad as it is, any kid that would kill himself due to a posting on the web already has mental issues. Here we have a crudely worded but relevant post that gets to the heart of the matter, people often get far to emotional over transient posts in these forums.

Personally I think anybody pressing that button ought to be held in suspicion until the nature of the post is discussed off line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just a quick note to anyone who might be tempted to respond to this: just report it. Red exclamation mark down there at the bottom left of the post below the user name.
post #131 of 175
Sorry I had to say that. More importantly where did you go to school, temperature scales should be covered worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.
post #132 of 175
Your holding it wrong.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #133 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you not know anything about radio design?



Yes. It is. Visibly, as well as internally.



Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. And yes, I just turned the ill-fitting metaphor outward on someone anti-Apple. I may be the first person in Apple history to do that. Boo-yah.



Which explains why the AT&T model hasn't sold a single unit since then because we've been hearing nothing about the iPhone except how terrible the antenna continues to be in every single country and obviously the OH WAIT THAT'S WRONG.

There's no conspiracy. There's no lack of 'admission of flaw'. Antennagate wasn't a problem with an Apple product. Get over it.

Do you not know the origins of "drinking the Kool-Aid"?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

PS don't take my critique as "Apple hating" I'll be getting a new iPad plus Solis iMitt
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #134 of 175
Is this the technology equivalent of the uncanny valley in action?

The closer the iPad approaches device perfection, the more disproportionate it's limitations appear.
post #135 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Your holding it wrong.

You're spelling it wrong.
post #136 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Remember the MHz craze where PC motherboards where equipped with powerful (and power gobbling) fans?

Your post brought back a fond memory of a visit to one of Apple's Top Secret development areas in the old Valley Green area in the late 1980's. Imagine. Vault-like room, complete with a bulky guard or two at the door, with all kinds of prototypical hardware being tested.

My favorite? The Multiprocessor G3 or G4 tower built inside of a Samsung dorm sized refrigerator, designed to keep the whole system properly cooled.

Wait a minute! Samsung? I may be on to something here.

[puts on tinfoil hat for better reception]
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #137 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I know you mean well here but as crude as it was stated the guy has a point. In any event I could really appreciate a little less censorship on the Internet. Seems like every time I turn around there is another person using his perverted sense of reality to try to censor another part of the net.

I find it especially perplexing that the suicide of children is now yet another reason to enlist the censors. As sad as it is, any kid that would kill himself due to a posting on the web already has mental issues. Here we have a crudely worded but relevant post that gets to the heart of the matter, people often get far to emotional over transient posts in these forums.

Personally I think anybody pressing that button ought to be held in suspicion until the nature of the post is discussed off line.

I disagree with the notion that all censorship is bad. Freedom of speech does not mean the right to speak whatever you want wherever you want. Some of us still believe it proper decorum, manners, etc. The owner of a website has every right to enforce their "house rules" as far as what content is and isn't allowed. The point in question could have been expressed in a less "adult" way and in a more, well, adult way.

Censorship is bad when it's the government or some other entity doing the enforcing, and there being no alternative forum, physical or digital, to express censored sentiments.
post #138 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period," author Donna L. Tapellini wrote.

How about if held for a longer than a brief period?
Was it uncomfortable to hold?
post #139 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Is this the technology equivalent of the uncanny valley in action?

The closer the iPad approaches device perfection, the more disproportionate it's limitations appear.

Interesting theory.
post #140 of 175
post #141 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post



What would we do without you!

We could certainly do without the constant hyperbolic attacks.
post #142 of 175
This could make a difference on weather the device could HOLD a charge, since that game would probably burn more energy out than what was coming in from a USB port that only supplies 5 watts? The other issue is HOW many people play these games with it plugged into any port?

I would also like to see how HOT top of the line (Tegra 3 Quad-Core) ANDROID tablet would get playing the same game, how LONG the battery lasts, AND weather it is able to HOLD a charge?

I know I'm expecting A LOT from CR, but unfortunately most of the "Moronic-Media" (non technical types) still think CR is the "HOLY GRAIL" of product review!
post #143 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets? How about laptops? My Dell used to get so hot it would be extremely uncomfortable to place on your lap. If they haven't, then this is just garbage reporting/testing.

On another note, as an engineer, I find that picture very satisfying. Looking at the heat signature of the iPad you can see a very uniform change in temperature from the processor outward. To me this speaks of excellent thermal design. If it was a poor design, then you should see hot spots or larger, stepped changes in temperature.

Since haters know nothing about engineering, it's not surprising to see that none of them on all the blogs has even noticed this obvious fact.

I look for that same pattern in a good BBQ Grill and a good frying pan too.

There are a few apps that will crank up my iPhones temp noticably but rarely have I had a similar experience with the iPad 2 or originial iPad. Hopefully it really is just specific use related.
post #144 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/co...alculators.htm
post #145 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post



That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?

It LOOKS hot only because they changed the scale to read from 20-40C. If the scale went from 20C-200C then both iPads would be almost the same color, and that wouldn't make for a very good flame-bait article, now would it?

Edited: One more thing - the measured temperatures are those little "crosshairs" in the lower right. They picked the hottest location to report the temperature - the average temperature over the entire device is lower.
post #146 of 175
Anyone who listens to CR is just not smart. I have had a subscription to them in the past and I have found out through sad experience that there reviews just plain suck and are wrong in most cases. I would not take there advice on what to buy if they were the last rating mag on the internet.

By the way my iPhone 4 picks up signal just fine and always has.
post #147 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Problem solved: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57...news&tag=title

1) If that is the primary issue it can be easily tested by letting the device get to room temperature on idle and then playing Infinity Blade 2 with the brightness all the way down, then letting it get to room temperature and then repeating with the brightness all the way up. To make sure everything is on par you can have the battery charged 100% and restore from a backup each time though I doubt that would affect the results.

2) Perhaps I'm the one who's not reading this correctly but to say "and the battery is 1.7X [larger]..." is to say that the battery is 170% more than the old battery. Shouldn't he be saying it's .07x (70%) larger or 1.7x (170x) as large"?

3) He doesn't even make a single mention of the GPU, the A5X having a heat sink where Apple's iDevices never had one before, or how the need to process 4x as many pixels requires a more powerful GPU. From the photos it's clear that the bottom-left area (if you're using it) that contains the A5X chip (or something in its proximity) that is generating the most amount of heat. You can feel it and its apparent on the thermal images.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #148 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Ok so Steve "Jobs" made devices that "just work" and Tim "Cook" made a device for "frying eggs"? Makes sense don't it?

That is truly funny.
post #149 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Cracked Displaygate
Antennagate
Locationgate
Batterygate
Heatgate
mobilemegate
Walled gardengate
Sweat shopgate

I've lost track.

And "Stock Over $600 Gate"
post #150 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

I haven't run mine flat yet, but I expect the charging time to increase in proportion to the battery capacity increase. Similarly, one should expect the thing to run warmer than the iPad2. The battery is 42WH compared to the iPad2's 25WH, but it lasts the same time. So the power dissipation (and therefore operating temperature) must increase.

Nooooooo ... Lol too much logic in this post...

I only read this article because i thought that was 116 Celsius... now that would be a bit of a problem
post #151 of 175
Should someone should do research that eyeballs and negative publicity do not automatically equate to sales and revenue.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #152 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.

Really? No offense but there are plenty of conversion tools on the net and this is a US based site/publication. I am familiar with the Celsius scale but I find it inferior to Fahrenheit since it is less granular
I'm all for international visitors and exchange of ideas but it is best we each respect each others' customs and ways.
post #153 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

It can't hurt to know the facts about the device. One of the chief appeals of the iPad to me anyway is that it doesn't get hot like a laptop. It's not "silly." If you don't like the information, don't read it.

You're not understanding my point about absolute power. I was referring to power in the marketplace. I think Apple is great, but constantly cheerleading everything it does and railing against any criticism is not going to help the organization. The number one problem Apple faces going forward is getting too full of itself. And regardless it doesn't matter -- consumers want information and they will get it. CR is an awesome organization that does a great job. If that doesn't jive with Apple Marketing, so be it.

I think the commenter understood your point perfectly...
post #154 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You make some great points.

You should send CR your oven mitt
post #155 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

We could certainly do without the constant hyperbolic attacks.

OK who's the who and who's the we.

Anyway Sol's got my 10 points for his
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

post #156 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

You're spelling it wrong.

Can you do my Math homework for me.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #157 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

You're nuts. They have not showed a sign of being "a behemoth," whatever that is. They're still bringing out the limited number of models, they are just selling better than ever before.

Consumer Reports? Some guy's opinion, in most regards. Sure, they'll tell you the best value in air conditioners. What exactly does this "heatgate" amount to. They admit themselves that it's not even uncomfortably warm. So what?

The closest to a complaint would be that if you're playing a big 3D game, and you're plugged in, you won't charge. No such complaint is true for normal operations.

Way to fix: if you want to charge it, leave it in the charger overnight. The battery lasts 9-10 hours.
post #158 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

1.) Why were bumpers given out then? For free?
2.) Why was the antennae design changed?
3.) Why did SJ say to hold it another way?

That is if a problem never existed? Just sayin?

Sometimes you have to cave to strongly negative PR, whether it's wrong or right.

Just replyin'.

Thompson
post #159 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

So, has CR actually tested the temperature of other tablets? How about laptops? My Dell used to get so hot it would be extremely uncomfortable to place on your lap. If they haven't, then this is just garbage reporting/testing.

On another note, as an engineer, I find that picture very satisfying. Looking at the heat signature of the iPad you can see a very uniform change in temperature from the processor outward. To me this speaks of excellent thermal design. If it was a poor design, then you should see hot spots or larger, stepped changes in temperature.

Since haters know nothing about engineering, it's not surprising to see that none of them on all the blogs has even noticed this obvious fact.

I used an IR temperature scanning sensor for a quick test.
Likely no where close to the rigorous CR test gear /s.
Ambient temperature in house is 77 F
Apple Cinema display on for 30 minute, 107.7 F
Western Digital USB external drive on for 30 minutes 102.1 F
My kids 97.5 F
iPad 3 (lower left, front and back) after 1 hour of full screen streamed movie, 50% brightness, not charging, WiFi connected but LTE on, 88.6 F which has been stable since 30 minutes of play.

There does not seem to be a real problem.
However I would not wrap my iPad in a sweater playing high frame rate game, using LTE, at 100% brightness, while charging.
post #160 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks View Post

you're spelling it wrong.

+1000
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games