or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games - Page 3

post #81 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviewes I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

You make some great points.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviewes I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

Everything these days in link bait.

Which headline is going to get the clicks?

"New iPad is the best one ever!" Hmm, you can put that right next to "Sun to rise again tomorrow".

Wait, how about "New iPad overheating problem: what you need to know"... yeah, that's more clickable.

Negative and contrarian opinions are what gets clicked, regardless of the source. It says a lot about our society. This is why extremists (regardless of political or religious orientation) get airtime or clicks. Try getting attention writing a blog expressing the views of a normal person. Have fun.
post #83 of 175
Thanks for the great articles at Apple Insider!

I used some of the info as reference points for an article i just did on my blog.


http://www.peaceloveapplepie.com/the-new-ipad/

- Peace :-)
post #84 of 175
There's fewer and fewer links I click on, if only because so many of them are "Top Ten Reasons You Will Be Startled By Counterintuitive Stuff We Just Made Up." And then each "reason" is given it's own frame, and you have to click through 10 times to see them all. It appears that at least half the internet is comprised of sites that are purely click whores, with little to no content, and what writing there is having been done on spec for a penny a word by some internet click whore "earn big bucks in your free time" content mill.

I check MacSurfer pretty regularly, but whereas at one time I would have clicked through to skim a few dozen articles, nowadays I rarely check out more than a few. The rest are just transparently bullshit, even from the link title.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple the where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.

Best reply of the day....10 points for Gryffindor!
post #86 of 175
Yep, CR caters to the mythical Mr. Joe Vanilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviews I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #87 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think CR figures (like many a tech web site) that "bad stuff about Apple" is a proven eyeball deliverer. That's not a grudge, that's just cynical expedience. Which is unfortunate, because CR used to have a reputation for being pretty dispassionate.

But "opening an investigation" into something as silly as "new iPad gets a little warmer"? That's pandering, straight up. A real turnoff.

And "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? What? Are you saying Apple has decided to deliver iPads that seer your flesh and now intends to cover that fact up with evil mind control, so CR to the rescue? What does somewhat warmer have to do with corruption?


Nice!
post #88 of 175
+1

I would add that link baits are there for the sake of ad sponsors and the illusion of high volume traffic resulting into consumer purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Everything these days in link bait.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #89 of 175
I'm starting a class action lawsuit demanding for OveGloves to be bundled with the new iPad
post #90 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

Consumer reports is trying to stay relevant. Way back when, before actual users of the product had a chance to review and post it in the various sites, CR was the mcdaddy of reviews. Some people would not even buy something unless CR gave it a thumbs up. Well, unfortunately that's based on the criteria the CR reviewers go by. Every time I bought something based on their recommendation, I lived to regret it. They tend to recommend plain vanilla things with no style no frills and often limited features and low cost. Great if that's what you want.

I would much rather go by reviews I read from other sources that include actual users of the product. Amazon reviews are usually spot on. Consumer reports may still be important to some people, but their market is shrinking fast.

There's a kind of cats and dogs things with CR and Apple, as well. CR has always had this "no frills, no bullshit, no bells and whistles you don't need and shouldn't pay for" bias. That works for dishwashers and car insurance, but when it comes to a company like Apple it means you have to pretend like the "whole widget" deal, wherein the quality of the entire experience is what's on offer, is beside the point. If you can't review Apple's products as an experience, and instead are obliged to focus on specs, price, and silly little gotchas, then you're are going to miss the point.

And no, "experience" is not some touchy-feely fanboy fantasy. It matters, particularly in a touch device, what the whole things feels like. How all the parts interact, how the software and hardware work together, what the buying experience and post-pruchase support are like. CR isn't really equipped to take those things into accounts, and anyway would find the very idea anathema.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #91 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Temperature is relative. 10 degree temp diff in Fahrenheit doesn't equal 10 degree diff in Celsius or Kelvin (absolute). However, it does make it into a scandalous percentage (which means nothing).

It doesn't mean much, but it's interesting to see how badly everyone is messing up the science of temperature.

Let's assume that the old one is 90 degrees F and the new one is 100 degrees F. How much increase is that?

One argument is that it's a 12.5% increase ((90-80)/80)
Others convert to Celsius and claim it's a 21% increase ((32.222-26.667)/26.667).
Still others claim it's a 1.8% increase (converting to absolute temperatures).

In reality, it's about a 100% increase. iPad 2 raises temperature from 70 degrees to 80 degrees (10 degree increase). iPad 3 increase temperature from 70 degrees to 90 degrees (20 degree increase).

(Of course, that's simplified since heat loss is temperature dependent, but it's close enough).

/science lesson
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #92 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

There's a kind of cats and dogs things with CR and Apple, as well. CR has always had this "no frills, no bullshit, no bells and whistles you don't need and shouldn't pay for" bias. That works for dishwashers and car insurance, but when it comes to a company like Apple it means you have to pretend like the "whole widget" deal, wherein the quality of the entire experience is what's on offer, is beside the point. If you can't review Apple's products as an experience, and instead are obliged to focus on specs, price, and silly little gotchas, then you're are going to miss the point.

And no, "experience" is not some touchy-feely fanboy fantasy. It matters, particularly in a touch device, what the whole things feels like. How all the parts interact, how the software and hardware work together, what the buying experience and post-pruchase support are like. CR isn't really equipped to take those things into accounts, and anyway would find the very idea anathema.

Yea, due to their review I got this butt-ugly graco car seat to save a few bucks. My friends spent a few more bucks and got a sturdier and very good looking Italian one that they said was not that great. Looking at both baby pictures now I regret going with CR.
post #93 of 175
Got mine on Friday, 32GB LTE AT&T model, and have been running games on it with no heat problems at all. Runs maybe slightly warmer than my iPad 2, but I can't really tell when using them both at the same time if the new iPad runs warmer or not--if it does, it's a slight difference and certainly not bothering us.

Must say the screen is killer! For me, the Retina screen was totally worth the upgrade from the 2, and dictation is pretty handy also. It's slightly heavier but, again, I feel the trade off was worth it and I've been using it 8 hour days. It's faster, easier on the eyes, and does what I need it to...

Consumer Reports seems to be an increasingly misguided publication.
Here now.
Reply
Here now.
Reply
post #94 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprovida View Post


Of course with my luck the silly thing blows up.

If you are speaking about the possibility of the new iPad blowing up, then please do not hold your breath.

If you mean will this new "information" possibly launch a HeaterGate witch hunt, then you are already too late. Just scroll through some of the comments here. The farce is strong in these Apple Haters, yes it is.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #95 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It doesn't mean much, but it's interesting to see how badly everyone is messing up the science of temperature.

Let's assume that the old one is 90 degrees F and the new one is 100 degrees F. How much increase is that?

One argument is that it's a 12.5% increase ((90-80)/80)
Others convert to Celsius and claim it's a 21% increase ((32.222-26.667)/26.667).
Still others claim it's a 1.8% increase (converting to absolute temperatures).

In reality, it's about a 100% increase. iPad 2 raises temperature from 70 degrees to 80 degrees (10 degree increase). iPad 3 increase temperature from 70 degrees to 90 degrees (20 degree increase).

(Of course, that's simplified since heat loss is temperature dependent, but it's close enough).

/science lesson

No offence, but this is not science.

I don't know where you are getting these figures from as your explanation is kind of sketchy, but if they are correct all you seem to have proven is that the temperature increase from iPad 2 to iPad 3 is 100% greater than the original temperature increase from iPad 1 to iPad 2. That's almost meaningless (even if true) and doesn't address the issue of whether or not the iPad 3 currently "overheats."

If that's *not* what you are arguing, then what you are saying is even more confusing than I thought and thus unlikely to end the debate.
post #96 of 175
Sounds like CR bullshit.

Just like "antenna-gate." Which for most users, barely meant anything at all.
post #97 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh dear God no.
post #98 of 175
113 degrees F is 45 degrees C which is the upper limit of the suggested non operating temperature on the iPad page.
post #99 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Newer computers actually run cooler due to process change and require less voltage.

nehalem < Sandybridge < ivybridge

There is more to a computer than the processor. Apple increased the DRAM, the display, and the battery, so the device as a whole (the computer) dissipates more power, even if some individual components consume less power.
post #100 of 175
It's just your typical sensationalist reporting. AI chooses to fan the flames by using the linkbait headline that CR is using.

The 116 is the peak temperature at the A5X location on the back of the iPad. There'll be a temperature gradient from there out to the rest of the device where the surface temperature will be in the 80s and 90s.

When it says 116° F in the story title, one naturally assumes the whole device is at that temperature. Obviously not the case. It'll generally be in the high 80s and low 90s for most of the back surface. If you always has your hand on the 116° spot, it'll probably feel a little too warm. Everywhere else, it'll be ok.

As for being unable charge at while doing something intensive, yes, that can happen. It's only a 10 W charger. The device can draw 9 to 10 Watts while doing something computationally intensive with the screen at a high brightness setting. You can set the brightness to 50% and it will likely charge with the wall charger.

The high power USB port on Macs (8 Watts) can probably manage charging it while it is being used, but it'll hit 8 Watts while doing things little less computationally intensive than max. Turn the brightness down a little bit. 25-40%.
post #101 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sounds like CR bullshit.

Just like "antenna-gate." Which for most users, barely meant anything at all.

I haven't seen this mentioned but....These are mini Plasmas/LCDs in our hands people. Have you EVER *touched* you HD TV EVER?.. Guess what... They are burning hot, at least Plasmas and LCD.

Follow that with them literally encased in metal and voila you have conductive heat coupled with the processors when pushed. Whose iMac doesn't fell HOT in the back? Whose iMacs don't shut down when running FCP and editing for several hours?....

I mean it's a trade off people. I'm quite sure if Apple cudda put a LCD is previous iPads they would have. Just like everything in life future models will run cooler and longer. Doh
post #102 of 175


That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?
post #103 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Sounds like CR bullshit.

I'm a little confused as the anger directed at CR for this article. All they did was point out that the new iPad gets warmer than the iPad 2 (something which others have reported and which is really not surprising) and they specifically said :

Quote:
"The new iPad is shaping up as the best tablet yet"

and

Quote:
it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable

Why is everyone getting defensive?

They said it is warmer, but that's not a big deal, and overall it is a great device. This is bad?
post #104 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

... Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

The same could be said of Consumer Reports itself who for many years has been the pre-eminent source for information on new products.

Personally, I think it's very sad. In my youth, Consumer Reports, like Greenpeace was a very reputable and fair source of information. Both emphasised the empowerment of the people, fought corporate attempts to define the playing field and helped the public to make wiser choices about their consumption and the trade-offs we make for our modern lifestyle.

Both are now a bad joke IMO, have sold out to corporate/marketing interests, and neither seems to have any interest in the truth.
post #105 of 175
Is everyone on AI so mentally feeble that they don't understand that a bigger battery takes longer to charge? There is no mystery here guys, no investigation is required just a grade school understanding of science. I'm beginning to believe everybody on this forum is a leftist member of the global warming crowd, who never bothered to listen up in science class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

I'd like to see some investigation into the charging time of the iPad 3. Apple significantly increased the capacity of the battery, but they packed in the same ol' 10w charger from the previous two generations. My unscientific test is showing it taking approximately 7 full hours to charge from 1% (the point at which the iPad automatically shuts itself down) to 100%.

Given the USB nature of the interface they really can't offer a bigger charger.
post #106 of 175
It's like comparing the temprature of laptop running dual core with low end internal gfx to laptop running dual core with using descrete gfx that support HD resolutions. Running the same game application.
post #107 of 175
That's nothing, my MBP running Flash gets to 660.32 °C and the aluminum starts melting.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #108 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post

Got mine on Friday, 32GB LTE AT&T model, and have been running games on it with no heat problems at all. Runs maybe slightly warmer than my iPad 2, but nothing really noticeable.

Must say the screen is killer! For me, the Retina screen was totally worth the upgrade from the 2, and dictation is pretty handy also. It's slightly heavier but, again, I feel the trade off was worth it and I've been using it 8 hour days. It's faster, easier on the eyes, and does what I need it to...

Consumer Reports seems to be an increasingly misguided publication.

That doesn't make any sense. It's really noticeable because you noticed it.
post #109 of 175
Grudge, maybe not but they certainly have a mental preoccupation for the company. More importantly they latch onto any negativity with respect to the company that they can exploit for their own gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

I'm in no way as negative on Consumer Reports as some in this forum but they are not working in the consumers best interest if they start making mountains out of molehills. Beyond that you can see by reading this thread most consumers are too stupid to evaluate what Consumer Reports is saying.
Quote:
Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

To account for what? I've yet to even have my iPad get hot at all. Keep the screen brightness dialed down and you won't see heating issues.

The reality is if you want to bring state of the art performance, in this case the new display you have to accept that you may have to compromise on other issues. In this case they had to significant enhance the backlighting to overcome the small pixels and increase overall color quality. More LEDs means more power.

Again their is nothing to account for, the iPad delivers what they advertise, they hide nothing.
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apologies, a problem never existed with the phone. I'm certain that AT&T's network is absolute trash. Apple shouldn't have to cover for that.



Because Verizon support was added, necessitating a physical change to the device. That isn't an argument in any way, shape, or form.

Why did adding VZW necessitate a change in design? Is the VZW iPhone 4S different from ATTs on the outside? No. That was all an excuse to change/fix the design. They didn't do it for the ATT version because it would've been an admission of a flaw.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #111 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post



That sure does look HOT! Damn! It gets that way from playing video games?

That's not Brooklyn hot, that's more like Africa hot.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The testing also found that the iPad wouldn't recharge its battery while the game was running and it was plugged in. Instead, the battery continued to drain, suggesting the power draw of the new A5X processor was too great for the iPad's USB connection to overcome during heavy use.

That could be the case, but if it really is experiencing heat issues it might only trickle charge the battery so it doesn't overheat.
post #113 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple then where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.


Instant classic lol. +116 or whatever temperature your new iPad is currently running at.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Some comparison photo's with other devices, also running stress tests would be nice, you know so consumers have some idea how it fares against other devices in the same category and make an informed choice.

So I wonder why CR didn't do this?

Because the report isn't about protecting consumers, it is about the promotion of Consumer Reports. Again I'm not totally negative on Consumer Reports but I take this kind of reporting as them getting a bit sleazy just for publicity. Really thing about it when have they considered case temperature to be an issue on Laptops or cell phones. If they had been tracking this issue for some time it would be one thing, but this out of the blue test is nothing but exploitation.
post #115 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've always been told heat is a battery's enemy so now I'm interested to see battery life compared with an ipad 3 not cooled vs one that is sitting on a laptop cooler.

Maybe Apple will update iOS to allow people to control the processing power of the internal chips so it will run cooler when you're playing games that aren't hard on it.

Seriously I've been using my iPad since Friday, doing all sorts of things and have not had a single case of the iPad getting too hot.
post #116 of 175
It runs as hot as Apple stock?
But seriously, it would be a big problem if the temperature ran above 100° ... Celsius.
46° Celsius is laughable low after playing a game for 45 minutes, you should touch an Xbox or laptop after that.

J.
post #117 of 175
"Heatgate" here we come. Did you really expect anything different? Now come the YouTube videos of people dropping their iPads because they're too hot to hold. Snarky comments about "holding it wrong" and "frying eggs" abound already in tech forums. Another mole hill turned into a mountain. Let's see how Tim Cook handles this "epic fail" which will surely be declared by some pundit or blogger.
post #118 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Heatgate" here we come. Did you really expect anything different? Now come the YouTube videos of people dropping their iPads because they're too hot to hold. Snarky comments about "holding it wrong" and "frying eggs" abound already in tech forums. Another mole hill turned into a mountain. Let's see how Tim Cook handles this "epic fail" which will surely be declared by some pundit or blogger.

Record sales will continue, though.
post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

No offence, but this is not science.

I don't know where you are getting these figures from as your explanation is kind of sketchy, but if they are correct all you seem to have proven is that the temperature increase from iPad 2 to iPad 3 is 100% greater than the original temperature increase from iPad 1 to iPad 2. That's almost meaningless (even if true) and doesn't address the issue of whether or not the iPad 3 currently "overheats."

If that's *not* what you are arguing, then what you are saying is even more confusing than I thought and thus unlikely to end the debate.

So your point is that you are incapable of understanding 10th grade science and 4th grade math?

Sorry, but it IS science - even if you're incapable of understanding it.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #120 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

"Heatgate" here we come. Did you really expect anything different? Now come the YouTube videos of people dropping their iPads because they're too hot to hold. Snarky comments about "holding it wrong" and "frying eggs" abound already in tech forums. Another mole hill turned into a mountain. Let's see how Tim Cook handles this "epic fail" which will surely be declared by some pundit or blogger.

Ok so Steve "Jobs" made devices that "just work" and Tim "Cook" made a device for "frying eggs"? Makes sense don't it?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games