or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why does Oprah get a free pass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does Oprah get a free pass?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
She just fired 30 people from her cable network and put others out of work with the cancellation of Rosie O'Donnel's show and all she can say is:

As CEO, I have a responsibility to chart the course for long-term success for the network. To wholly achieve that long-term success, this was a necessary next step."

Surely this can't be Oprah - who is such a caring, compassionate woman and fervent supporter of the bringer of Hope and Change himself, Barack Obama. She must have been misquoted or taken out of context, because only uncaring, cruel, evil, (and might I add RACIST) Republicans would say and do such things.

I'm waiting for the outcry from the leftist blogosphere and news outlets, as well as our resident PO leftists. I'm waiting for them to call for her resignation and government intervention. Perhaps they have already done so and I just missed it?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #2 of 17
All the people who lost jobs were taken care of, (sorry that was meant as a bit of humour, though good folk do that, as a matter of course).

Seriously... I know very little about her, but the idea that she'd not structure her business rationally is absurd, surely?
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

Reply
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

She just fired 30 people from her cable network and put others out of work with the cancellation of Rosie O'Donnel's show and all she can say is:

As CEO, I have a responsibility to chart the course for long-term success for the network. To wholly achieve that long-term success, this was a necessary next step."

Surely this can't be Oprah - who is such a caring, compassionate woman and fervent supporter of the bringer of Hope and Change himself, Barack Obama. She must have been misquoted or taken out of context, because only uncaring, cruel, evil, (and might I add RACIST) Republicans would say and do such things.

I'm waiting for the outcry from the leftist blogosphere and news outlets, as well as our resident PO leftists. I'm waiting for them to call for her resignation and government intervention. Perhaps they have already done so and I just missed it?

Doubtful.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

All the people who lost jobs were taken care of, (sorry that was meant as a bit of humour, though good folk do that, as a matter of course).

Seriously... I know very little about her, but the idea that she'd not structure her business rationally is absurd, surely?

You seem to have missed the point. Let me help:

1. Layoffs show a company's greed and callous quest for profits over people.
2. Except for Oprah.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

She just fired 30 people from her cable network and put others out of work with the cancellation of Rosie O'Donnel's show and all she can say is:

As CEO, I have a responsibility to chart the course for long-term success for the network. To wholly achieve that long-term success, this was a necessary next step."

Surely this can't be Oprah - who is such a caring, compassionate woman and fervent supporter of the bringer of Hope and Change himself, Barack Obama. She must have been misquoted or taken out of context, because only uncaring, cruel, evil, (and might I add RACIST) Republicans would say and do such things.

I'm waiting for the outcry from the leftist blogosphere and news outlets, as well as our resident PO leftists. I'm waiting for them to call for her resignation and government intervention. Perhaps they have already done so and I just missed it?

When you have her wealth you don't give a shit about others than yourself.She is a conceded bitch in my opinion and is egotistical to boot.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

When you have her wealth you don't give a shit about others than yourself.She is a conceded bitch in my opinion and is egotistical to boot.

I'd say someone has utterly missed the point.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #7 of 17
Oprah may be caring and compassionate, as a *person*.

Oprah is also a businessperson. The prime objective of a *business* is to make a profit, and satisfy its shareholders and customers.

Then look at the areas in which the two concepts, compassion, and the mandate for maximum profitability, intersect. They don't.

That is not how the world runs...

Pragmatism over principle, folks. That is how the world runs. If you don't like it, join a kibbutz.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #8 of 17
I like Oprah.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Then look at the areas in which the two concepts, compassion, and the mandate for maximum profitability, intersect. They don't.

Untrue. It is merely your opinion that they don't (or can't) intersect.

Just because someone seeks a profit (and everyone does actually) does not mean they are not being compassionate.

Just because a company lays a person off does not mean they are not being compassionate.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Untrue. It is merely your opinion that they don't (or can't) intersect.

Just because someone seeks a profit (and everyone does actually) does not mean they are not being compassionate.

Just because a company lays a person off does not mean they are not being compassionate.

You changed the game here. You replaced "maximizing" with "seeks a". You tried to pull a fast one on us here. Sorry, we noticed.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You changed the game here. You replaced "maximizing" with "seeks a". You tried to pull a fast one on us here. Sorry, we noticed.

Doesn't matter. Wasn't trying to pull a fast one. That's merely the caricature of me you have in your head. Same answer either way. Those are just lies your socialist/Marxist teachers or friends have told you.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Doesn't matter. Wasn't trying to pull a fast one. That's merely the caricature of me you have in your head. Same answer either way. Those are just lies your socialist/Marxist teachers or friends have told you.

Oh? I agree with your first sentiment. You can make a profit and still be compassionate. I disagree vehemently with the idea that you can MAXIMIZE profit and still do the same. Putting profit on a pedestal above all else is what is wrong with our society.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Oh? I agree with your first sentiment. You can make a profit and still be compassionate. I disagree vehemently with the idea that you can MAXIMIZE profit and still do the same. Putting profit on a pedestal above all else is what is wrong with our society.

And I'd say you're wrong.

P.S. You changed the game here. You replaced "maximize profit" with "putting profit on a pedestal above all else." You tried to pull a fast one on us here. Sorry, we noticed.

P.P.S. You probably don't even realize that "putting profit on a pedestal above all else" would almost certainlynot "maximize profits" in most cases. But continue on with your Marxist-inspired caricatures of the market, businesses and profit-seekers.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #14 of 17
What the hell do you think maximizing means?

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

What the hell do you think maximizing means?

Hint: It does not necessarily mean "putting profit on a pedestal above all else."

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'd say someone has utterly missed the point.

I say you will also coincide with a rich person because you are a lousy Republican who cares about yourself and no one else except your family.Winfrey cares about one dam thing money!!! and excuse me her power to control people.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I say you will also coincide with a rich person because you are a lousy Republican who cares about yourself and no one else except your family.

You can't know what I feel or believe. You're simply projecting.

Quote:
Winfrey cares about one dam thing money!!! and excuse me her power to control people.


Wait..you're actually claiming this...about OPRAH? So your support of that argument is...what...she's rich? You do realize this woman has given tens of millions to good causes, and is known worldwide for her generosity?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Why does Oprah get a free pass?