or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's calls for repatriation tax holiday gain no traction with White House
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's calls for repatriation tax holiday gain no traction with White House - Page 2

post #41 of 123
Those saying Apple will invest more if they're given a tax holiday are wrong. Apple will invest money where they need to in order to make more money whether on the US or elsewhere. If they need to repatriate funds in order to do so, they will do it. Any other scenario is bullshit. Period.
post #42 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7979 View Post

This was a failed policy in 2004, and it would be another colossal failure today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...022129888.html

Quote:
...according to report from the Democratic staff of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations released Monday night.

I wouldn't trust a report made by idiots. Look, it is real simple...

35% x $0 = 0
5% x $60,000,000,000 = $3,000,000,000

I know this is complex math, but which result is larger? Who cares what the companies do with the money once it is here, that is just gravy.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann View Post

Apple made a LOT of money exporting jobs and manufacturing overseas. It seems fair that some of that money should be taxed on its way back to the U.S.

What do you mean "export"? Apple created jobs that didn't exist here before.
post #44 of 123
No individual, company owner or company owes the government anything out of patriotic duty. Businesses exit to innovate and market products and services that people want badly enough to pay for them.

If businesses are allowed to do what they do best, then opportunities for real jobs supporting such companies will come.

A business does not exist to support the government. Rather government exists to create freedom and allow individuals and the companies they work for to prosper. In this way, innovation is rewarded with money -- as it should be.

Some of you have things turned around.

Neither Apple nor any sane company will pay more taxes than they have to. And they owe it to their investors and customers to offer products at affordable prices. And avoiding high taxes to reduce costs and improve profits is just common sense and proper behavior.

Remember that taxes paid by any company becomes overhead that transfers directly to product costs. So those of you who want Apple or any company to pay more taxes will actually pay more for these companies products when their tax bills go up. And guess who actually ends up paying those taxes? If you are an Apple customer, you do.

The government is systematically reducing job opportunities in the US by taxing corporations.

Just because Apple has done so well in increasing its profits does not mean that they somehow owe the government a single dime. Its their money that they earned honestly. Why should they owe more just because they have innovated and created a cash cow. More power to them.

So let Apple enjoy the fruits of their labor instead of being forced to support an ineffective and inefficient federal government. The government is nothing more than a black hole of waste.
post #45 of 123
The big problem here is that, if the US government did this, it would actually create more incentive for companies to move operations away from the US.

Think about it: move operations to a country with very low corporate taxation, generate higher profits there, move the money back to the US with no taxation. Sounds like the best option to me.

And there's no guarantee that they'd reinvest that money back in the US. What if they gave the money to shareholders who may not even live in the US?
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #46 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Nothing is stopping Apple from investing it's money in the US. How about starting by, I don't know, investing money in the US? One great way to invest money in the US is to bring that money back to the US and paying rightful taxes on it. It's not like they couldn't afford it and it's not money lost either. The states is trillions of dollars in debt in part because companies keep sending jobs overseas due to greed.

so that your federal gov't can blow away Apple's money on Solyndra?

I guess somebody has to pay for all those wasteful gov't welfare and warfare.
post #47 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann View Post

Apple made a LOT of money exporting jobs and manufacturing overseas. It seems fair that some of that money should be taxed on its way back to the U.S.

You got that right! Steve Jobs tells Obama the manufacturing jobs are NEVER coming back to the US. Now the company wants their money made overseas with little to no taxation. Can you say chutzpa?
post #48 of 123
I don't quite see how people see apple as dodging taxes here... they're a multinational corporation, and have to follow the rules in all of the countries they operate in. However, they're based in the USA, and this is where the problem is. If they earn money from sales in Japan, this has NOTHING to do with the USA, and is taxed in japan (or wherever the income is earned that a country taxes it). These goods would not have been made had apple not operated in a foreign country. By operating elsewhere, they sell more goods.

However, because of tax laws in the USA, they cannot move this money over without paying large taxes (on income that had nothing to do with the USA). One common way companies avoid this is by not being based in the USA. If apple was a foreign corporation (in countries that don't require "repatriation" of money owned externally, or most all other countries) they would have no problem moving that money back and giving it to the stock holders, or buying back stock with it. In fact, because of this, many international companies have left the USA, because it doesn't make sense to pay extra taxes for the "luxury" of being based in the USA.

The most amusing thing about this is how much this money would get taxed. Lets say the income was made overseas, it would first be taxed by that country. Then, apple wants to bring it back to the USA (to pay dividends), they then have to pay corporate income taxes on this money. Then, apple issues dividends on the reduced amount, and the stock holders have to pay capital gain taxes on the dividends.

If you ask me, the tax laws are a good reason for international companies to not be based in the USA, and if they are, they will encourage companies to invest externally. Lets look at it another way, if Samsung wanted to open up a design center in the USA, and was investing 2 billion on it (earned all over the world, and taxed accordingly), they wouldn't have to pay extra taxes on it, in fact the government would likely give them ADDITIONAL tax breaks on property taxes etc to encourage the company to invest there.

phil
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

Apple has made a lot of money by selling their products overseas and has been taxed on those earnings. Bringing it back to the US of A would result in additional taxation.

Yes, but Apple, nor any other company, is taxed to import those products that are sold here. You and I get charged tariffs when we bring stuff from abroad, even when you buy it on an airplane via "sky mall". Why isn't Apple?
post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

so that your federal gov't can blow away Apple's money on Solyndra?

I guess somebody has to pay for all those wasteful gov't welfare and warfare.

Please! The only wasteful spending is giving tax breaks to gazillionaires while expecting the 99% to pick up the tab (see George Bush). The Republicans are the guilty party and have suppressed the Middle Class, turning them into low-wage slaves, lucky to make minimum wage with no benefits. Give me a break. If Apple wants to enjoy all the benefits of being headquartered in the USA, they must start acting responsibly. Pay up.
post #51 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alann View Post

Apple made a LOT of money exporting jobs and manufacturing overseas. It seems fair that some of that money should be taxed on its way back to the U.S.

Be careful what you wish for. The money was made on sales outside of the US. If fair is fair then they should invest the money in those countries.
post #52 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

No individual, company owner or company owes the government anything out of patriotic duty. Businesses exit to innovate and market products and services that people want badly enough to pay for them.

If businesses are allowed to do what they do best, then opportunities for real jobs supporting such companies will come.

A business does not exist to support the government. Rather government exists to create freedom and allow individuals and the companies they work for to prosper. In this way, innovation is rewarded with money -- as it should be.

Some of you have things turned around.

Neither Apple nor any sane company will pay more taxes than they have to. And they owe it to their investors and customers to offer products at affordable prices. And avoiding high taxes to reduce costs and improve profits is just common sense and proper behavior.

Remember that taxes paid by any company becomes overhead that transfers directly to product costs. So those of you who want Apple or any company to pay more taxes will actually pay more for these companies‘ products when their tax bills go up. And guess who actually ends up paying those taxes? If you are an Apple customer, you do.

The government is systematically reducing job opportunities in the US by taxing corporations.

Just because Apple has done so well in increasing its profits does not mean that they somehow owe the government a single dime. It’s their money that they earned honestly. Why should they owe more just because they have innovated and created a cash cow. More power to them.

So let Apple enjoy the fruits of their labor instead of being forced to support an ineffective and inefficient federal government. The government is nothing more than a black hole of waste.

But, the thing is, a company has absolutely no obligation to act in the best interest of society. The only incentive is to act in their own best interest. In some cases, this is beneficial to society (e.g. job creation). In some cases, it's not (e.g. pollution).

IMO, the government's role is to create a structure so that there is incentive to act in the best interest of society as a whole. This is how we've evolved from the cave man era to a civilized society. While you see government as waste, I see it as the only thing keeping society from degenerating into whoever has the biggest stick has power (as is the case in many other societies around the world where the government is corrupt or nonexistent).

Is there corruption and waste in government? Sure. Does the same thing exist in large companies? You bet. No difference other than one organization has, as it's founding principals, the interests of a nation. While the other simply has profits and growth. One has to answer to voters every few years, the other only answers to the shareholders.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #53 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

You got that right! Steve Jobs tells Obama the manufacturing jobs are NEVER coming back to the US. Now the company wants their money made overseas with little to no taxation. Can you say chutzpa?

If it isn't taxed then there is more left to pay dividends and stock buy backs. The real winners are the shareholders. But they will pay tax on the dividends or capital gains when they sell the stock.
post #54 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The big problem here is that, if the US government did this, it would actually create more incentive for companies to move operations away from the US.

Think about it: move operations to a country with very low corporate taxation, generate higher profits there, move the money back to the US with no taxation. Sounds like the best option to me.

And there's no guarantee that they'd reinvest that money back in the US. What if they gave the money to shareholders who may not even live in the US?

Of course there is no guarantee where jobs will go because taxation is only one factor of many for why jobs go overseas.

But taxing corporations beyond what other foreign countries charge makes it much harder for both Apple and other US companies to manufacture their products in the US or create new jobs in the US.
post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

I don't quite see how people see apple as dodging taxes here... they're a multinational corporation, and have to follow the rules in all of the countries they operate in. However, they're based in the USA, and this is where the problem is. If they earn money from sales in Japan, this has NOTHING to do with the USA, and is taxed in japan (or wherever the income is earned that a country taxes it). These goods would not have been made had apple not operated in a foreign country. By operating elsewhere, they sell more goods.

However, because of tax laws in the USA, they cannot move this money over without paying large taxes (on income that had nothing to do with the USA). One common way companies avoid this is by not being based in the USA. If apple was a foreign corporation (in countries that don't require "repatriation" of money owned externally, or most all other countries) they would have no problem moving that money back and giving it to the stock holders, or buying back stock with it. In fact, because of this, many international companies have left the USA, because it doesn't make sense to pay extra taxes for the "luxury" of being based in the USA.

The most amusing thing about this is how much this money would get taxed. Lets say the income was made overseas, it would first be taxed by that country. Then, apple wants to bring it back to the USA (to pay dividends), they then have to pay corporate income taxes on this money. Then, apple issues dividends on the reduced amount, and the stock holders have to pay capital gain taxes on the dividends.

If you ask me, the tax laws are a good reason for international companies to not be based in the USA, and if they are, they will encourage companies to invest externally. Lets look at it another way, if Samsung wanted to open up a design center in the USA, and was investing 2 billion on it (earned all over the world, and taxed accordingly), they wouldn't have to pay extra taxes on it, in fact the government would likely give them ADDITIONAL tax breaks on property taxes etc to encourage the company to invest there.

phil

Apple sets up foreign offices to handle sales in other countries. They do this to avoid tariffs, just like Toyota builds many of its cars in the US to avoid import duties and shipping costs. But I am sure they pay tax in Japan on sales in the US as they are ultimately a Japanese Corporation. Apple has the same obligation. Paying taxes is not evil. It is pat of doing business. Big corporations who complain about their taxes just sound foolish.
post #56 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

This is clearly a complex situation. But don't those profits exist overseas because Apple and other companies exported the jobs, and paid for work that yielded no benefits to the US in terms of materials sourcing, jobs, the multiplier effect of wages, or the income taxes that would have been paid by US workers? Like I say--it's complex--but it doesn't seem like good policy to embrace corporate behavior that costs the US in all those ways on the front end, and then lower taxes for the same corporations on the back end. I'll try to keep an open mind.

Apple may make higher profits for having moved manufacturing offshore, but that doesn't generate income and thus taxes.

Here's what built that big hoard of cash oversees. A guy in England buys an iPad from a store in England. It ships from China, maybe spent some time in a warehouse in Germany. Apple UK, a division of Apple, Inc., reports the sale to the tax people in the UK, pays VAT taxes, payroll taxes for the UK employees, and then UK income tax based on the profit left over. Combine a lot of people in England, France, Germany, Japan, South Korea, now China, etc. etc. and you get a big pile of cash sitting offshore, all earned outside of the United States.

That money may move from banks to different countries in the EU, spent in developing countries, etc. For all those other countries, taxmen say "Hey, that money, how much of it was earned in our country, and did you pay taxes" and being told it is so, is satisfied.

Unless they want to move those to the United States, for investment here, or a major acquisition, or just to distribute to the stockholders. Here, the IRS says "Hey, you owe us tax on that. We don't care that none of it was earned here, you want to spend it here, you must pay tax."

So Apple has two choices for the money. They can leave it in Europe, investing it or getting interest or using it to do things like build a factory or a server farm, and they can use all the money that way. Or they can bring it to the US, take a big tax hit, and only invest the remainder here.

What is the moral claim that the American government has on profit from sales in the UK? It doesn't really matter, the American government has the guns and based on the comments here and elsewhere, it's clear that enough of the citizenry doesn't care about a moral claim so long as "we" get the money. This taxation on economic activity taking place outside of the U.S. is going to happen, whether it's right or wrong. So we're down to arguing the pragmatic view, what's the best way for America to benefit from that guy who bought an iPad in the UK.
post #57 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

The big problem here is that, if the US government did this, it would actually create more incentive for companies to move operations away from the US.

This doesn't alter the fact that companies can move out of the US already or kept profits they made overseas in the originating countries. All this would do is create a "low pressure" where profits from overseas could filter into the US.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #58 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

But, the thing is, a company has absolutely no obligation to act in the best interest of society. The only incentive is to act in their own best interest. In some cases, this is beneficial to society (e.g. job creation). In some cases, it's not (e.g. pollution).

IMO, the government's role is to create a structure so that there is incentive to act in the best interest of society as a whole. This is how we've evolved from the cave man era to a civilized society.

You are leaping to the conclusion that government is smart enough and incorruptible in its ability to see that companies do the right thing. That is a leap of faith that I believe is fundamentally false.

The government cannot even manage itself. So what makes you think that they can somehow lead companies to serve society?

Companies are run by many different kinds of leaders. They are accountable to many including boards of directors and customers as well as regulators (and regulators track record is atrocious).

The bottom line: companies are more efficient and dont waste nearly as much money as the federal government.

Companies are not perfect, but government abuse is far worse. And companies are more accountable than the federal government.

You cant put the government out of business. But companies are put out of business every day when they dont perform. The government, on the other hand, is just getting bigger and bigger and more out of control with every day that passes.
post #59 of 123
I think Apple and companies like then have a brass neck trying to avoid taxation. They have more money than they know what to do with yet helping the US and its citizens is not on the agenda. As long as the wall street suits get their cash to add to their pile, the rest of you can sing for it. A disgrace.

 

 

 

 

 

 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

Reply

 

 

 

 

 

 

iMac 27" 2.93ghz i7 MacBook Air 13" iphone4 ipod classic AppleTV 

Reply
post #60 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Please! The only wasteful spending is giving tax breaks to gazillionaires while expecting the 99% to pick up the tab (see George Bush). The Republicans are the guilty party and have suppressed the Middle Class, turning them into low-wage slaves, lucky to make minimum wage with no benefits. Give me a break. If Apple wants to enjoy all the benefits of being headquartered in the USA, they must start acting responsibly. Pay up.

LOL!! This is hilarious. Oh really? Is that why some bottom 50% of lower income folks don't pay any federal taxes while the top 2% pays 40% of taxes? (or top 10% 70% of taxes?)

Perhaps Apple should move its headquarters to Bahamas or Ireland like Accenture did.
post #61 of 123
Does anybody see what those complaining about Apple not paying their "fair share" are asking?

This is the scenario they want...

Apple makes a product in China. They sell it to someone in Japan. Japan taxes the import of the product. Japan taxes Apple Japan on the profit Apple makes on the product.

If Apple wants to move that money (which has already been DIRECTLY taxed twice, not to mention the added cost of all the hidden taxes in the supply chain)... if they want to move that money to the United States to pay a dividend...

These "fair share" advocates, want it taxed AGAIN at the 35% corporate rate.

THEN they ALSO want it taxed AGAIN either through capital gains or income tax on the dividend.


This is seriously what people are advocating.
post #62 of 123
If the government caves into the demands of the business community, it isnt going to help with the overall economy as a whole.

This will only encourage companies to send jobs or manufacturing plants OUTSIDE of the US in anticipation of future tax breaks from Congress to take advantage of.

Companies are already utilizing tax planning to extreme measures and finding loopholes in the system to take advantage of.

To cave into the demands of these organizations is only going to make matters worse than it is already.






Check this link for more information:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3593

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #63 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

...and Hillary Clinton's boneheaded idea that natural disasters are great for the economy because they boost employment.

Way to completely misrepresent what she actually said. Congrats.

It wasn't nearly as good as Michele Bachmann implying several times that certain specific natural disasters were due to God's unhappiness with Democrats, and then saying "Now I'm not saying it is, but how much of a coincidence is it?"

You'd have to look much harder for such boneheadedness from Clinton's original remark.
post #64 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

I think Apple and companies like then have a brass neck trying to avoid taxation. They have more money than they know what to do with yet helping the US and its citizens is not on the agenda. As long as the wall street suits get their cash to add to their pile, the rest of you can sing for it. A disgrace.

I gather that you will find a way to pay more taxes? Why should Apple owe more just because they found a way to make a lot of money?

Its unfortunate that we have so many people in this country like you that somehow think others owe their success to someone else and should be forced to fork over their hard earned money.

Who are you to judge that they have more money than they know what to do with? Thats not your business or anybody elses but Apples.
post #65 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Apple sets up foreign offices to handle sales in other countries. They do this to avoid tariffs, just like Toyota builds many of its cars in the US to avoid import duties and shipping costs. But I am sure they pay tax in Japan on sales in the US as they are ultimately a Japanese Corporation. Apple has the same obligation. Paying taxes is not evil. It is pat of doing business. Big corporations who complain about their taxes just sound foolish.

No, Bruce, that's not how it works for Toyota or basically all other countries' multinational companies. For nearly all the rest of the world profits are taxed in the country they are earned and that's all. The US on the other hand wants to take money from already taxed profits earned in other countries. Even European governments with huge social systems that require crazy amounts of tax dollars to prop up don't try to steal money their nation's companies on the profits those companies earn from international business.
post #66 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Way to completely misrepresent what she actually said. Congrats.

It wasn't nearly as good as Michele Bachmann implying several times that certain specific natural disasters were due to God's unhappiness with Democrats, and then saying "Now I'm not saying it is, but how much of a coincidence is it?"

You'd have to look much harder for such boneheadedness from Clinton's original remark.


So... clearly you've lost any ability to talk about the topic at hand... The idea that leftists don't believe in the "broken window" theory and the "magical multiplier" is just flat out wrong. It is EXACTLY what people like Clinton believe.

Seriously... her economic and political beliefs are in lock step with Paul Krugman. He recently advocated that Obama fake an invasion from Mars. He said that we would create a huge amount of economic growth by preparing to fight the invasion. This is what they believe... Yes... Hillary does believe in the broken window theory and the magical multiplier.
post #67 of 123
Apple should import the iPads, iPhones etc to the US partially completed (mostly completed) as raw materials/parts. Then set up a factory in the US to polish the glass, etch the name and FCC id info, put the cord and the charger in the packaging and call it made in USA. Their foreign subsidiaries have to buy the products from the US and the money stays here.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #68 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

Haven't you figured out what "fair share" means? To a certain segment of our population... the literal definition of "fair share" means nothing more than "from those according to their means." Apple has it... so they think they deserve it.

Also interesting that it's such a nebulous phrase. No one will ever say what the "fair share" really is or explain why that amount is fair. I don't fit any criteria for a definition above middle class, but I think the anti-wealthy & anti-business rhetoric in the US these days is such shallow nonsense.
post #69 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

The actual tax rate is irrelevant. It the hope of a lower tax rate that is keeping money overseas. If it was half what it is now corporations would still hold out if there was a promise that a hike might be lower still.

What is needed is for the US government to incontrovertibly rule out future tax hikes to remove the incentive for companies to hold money offshore (just in case). Taxation and the government should take steps to avoid becoming a system that can be gamed, both now and in the future.

---

These kind of discussions always start off with the notion that a company would pay too much in corporate taxes but what is that value?

Even if it was half of what it was they would still want half of that anyway.

You cannot allow Corporations to black mail the government into paying less tax.

If I'm an individual working overseas where's my tax break? There are many countries for which I won't receive one. Government sshould offer to tax a US companies _more_ when it keeps it's money offshore.
post #70 of 123
Apple has already paid the taxes on the foreign earnings. There are lots of economic and supply chain reasons for manufacturing items offshore. And Apple is not the only company doing this, only one of, if not, the biggest.

And if Apple did bring it back, the government would use it to fill in the hole that resulted from all the crooked, built in the USA, mortgage deals that this, and the previous government, supported by buying off and rewarding all the crooked CEOs and their supporters. Why should properly run companies like Apple, that honestly innovate and create, pay for the misdeeds of dishonest, lazy US companies.

No one has stated what the rates are, but the holders of foreign money must think they are significant.
post #71 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Why is the US government entitled to ANY of this money?
Its all profits from overseas.

It is entitled to the difference between the foreign countries taxes and the US tax because apple is a US Company. In my opinion that is fair. But the difference the US Government is talking about is ridiculous and amounts to no more than double taxation. The amount does not matter. Just because apple has billions it should be taxed at the same rate per dollar that every other corporation is taxed at. People think and use the argument that apple has huge piles of cash and they can afford whatever the government thinks is right is BS. Apple is not asking for the government to remove the taxes completely, there just asking for a fair rate tax rate on that money. Not the ridiculous rate the government wants. Because of those ridiculous rates there is no incentive for apple to brink that money back to the US and loose Billions in doing so.
post #72 of 123
So for those of you who want all their money because they have more than they need.

How would you feel if..

You lived on a border town between two states. Let's say, St. Louis, MO. But you work in East St. Louis, IL. Since you earn your income in IL you pay income tax in IL. When you file your state returns for MO do you want to be taxed a second time? I'm guessing not. If Missouri decided they had every right to get your money because you are a resident what would you do?

Would you tell MO that if they don't you would be more likely to stay in MO and spend your money in MO and they would benefit from your property tax and sales tax. Or would you move across the river?

Think I'm full of it? Why do professional athletes have to pay income taxes based on where your game is at? Why do you think they like to play in Florida or be on a home team in Florida. And if it were so corrupt and business would just leave, then why aren't the Marlins as good as the Yankees? The only athletes flocking to FL to take advantage of this is LeBron.

Let Apple keep the money that has been taxed at least 2x already and let the "uber-rich" spend some damn money on products and services here.
post #73 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post


No one has stated what the rates are, but the holders of foreign money must think they are significant.


It would be at the corporations current tax rate. Apple's would be 35%. That is significant.
post #74 of 123
Apple should just hire Americans to fly overseas and come back with their luggage stuffed full of cash and bring the money "back" that way. Customs checks are so infrequent and superficial, it would create tons of jobs to send those folks back and forth on money runs. As others have said: "Hey, I'm no expert".

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply

(Mid-2012) 15.4" MacBook Pro w/ IPS Retina Display | Quad Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz / 3.6GHz Max. Turbo | 16GB DDR3-1600MHz RAM | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD-based NAND Flash ETA 9/5

Reply
post #75 of 123
I propose a simple deal: Congress should allow Apple to repatriate as much money as they want with zero taxes as long as every dollar is used to open new factories in the USA and hire American workers. They can use the money to purchase equipment such as robotic assembly lines, solar power plants, additional server farms and so on but it must all be located here in the USA even if the gear is purchased overseas.
post #76 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffi View Post

---
If I'm an individual working overseas where's my tax break? There are many countries for which I won't receive one. Government sshould offer to tax a US companies _more_ when it keeps it's money offshore.

If as a US citizen you spent all of 2011 living and working in a foreign country (doesn't matter which foreign country it is) the first $95,100 of your salary is exempt from US income tax. You will pay local income taxes in the country where you reside and work as you should.

Is that a good enough tax break for you?

At least try to be informed, do a Google search for US foreign earned income tax exemption. - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=97130,00.html
post #77 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If the government caves into the demands of the business community, it isnt going to help with the overall economy as a whole.

This will only encourage companies to send jobs or manufacturing plants OUTSIDE of the US in anticipation of future tax breaks from Congress to take advantage of.

Companies are already utilizing tax planning to extreme measures and finding loopholes in the system to take advantage of.

To cave into the demands of these organizations is only going to make matters worse than it is already.

The less money gets filtered through the government, the better off we will ALL be.
post #78 of 123
When money runs out people start thinking.

The federal government never runs out of money.

Nuff' said.
post #79 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The less money gets filtered through the government, the better off we will ALL be.

Darn tooting... Everyone stop paying taxes now! We'll show them.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #80 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I wouldn't trust a report made by idiots. Look, it is real simple...

35% x $0 = 0
5% x $60,000,000,000 = $3,000,000,000

I know this is complex math, but which result is larger? Who cares what the companies do with the money once it is here, that is just gravy.

-kpluck

And sadly that $3,000,000,000 wouldn't dent the $1.5 trillion dollar deficit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Apple's calls for repatriation tax holiday gain no traction with White House