or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad

Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Total articles written on the internet will likely exceed the total number of users having issues. How about iHater-gate??

Go on to any one of these techie sites and there's probably one pro Apple comment to 100 anti Apple. And whoever posted the pro Apple comment is labeled an fanboy, sheeple, etc. Engadget's story on Jony Ive's interview with the London Evening Standard garnered 1,900+ replies, with probably 90-95% anti Apple. It's ok to be a fandroid but if you like Apple you're fundamentally evil.
post #42 of 125
I have dropped my new iPad more frequently than my original iPad. I think it may be more sensitive to gravity than the first iPad.
post #43 of 125
I have had this with the ipad 2 since the first day. The wifi signal strength just randomly goes up and down.

Oh and it's with many different routers, not just using my personal one.
post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

AI needs clicks too in order to keep the ad money rolling in. Anything with a negative connotation generates lots of clicks. It's human nature. We are voyeurs who love to watch others suffer and fail, especially the world's most valuable company. I mean who wants to watch continued success?

I do. I own the stock
post #45 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.

Yep, and as I have said before, before are just stupid and want to find ways to complain. There's always going to someone isn't happy. Same is true for average Yelp reviews.
post #46 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

i think part of the problem might be that the screen acts like a copper mesh, thus shielding the back of the iPad from the wifi signal... so LOL your holding it wrong LOL...
seriously, since the screen is so dense, each sub-pixel has to have a circuit trace going to it, that makes it a copper mesh...
might be able to prove my theory by placing an ipod touch playing an internet radio station in between two new iPads... (if the screens are like copper meshes, then the stream should stop play after the buffer is empty.

Seriously? What the F are you talking about? The WIFI signal enters/leaves the iPad at the rear of the device, the screen could be a 60" and it wouldn't matter.
post #47 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's see - 3 million sold in the first weekend.

'Dozens' of people having problems. And if you look carefully, half of the 63 total posts seem to be from the same person (it_caveman).

Please let us know when there's a real problem rather than a few isolated incidents.

If there are problems generally, or problems with specific devices, I hope Apple takes these issues more seriously than fanboys.

Problems are problems, and when there are problems, competent businesses address them. There are already a crap-load full of American and foreign businesses who let seemingly small problems fester until the lack of quality defined the company.

GM, Kodak, Rim, Sun, Toyota, Borders, Circuit City, MS, HP, any Wall Street financial institution, to name a few, did not go bankrupt or lose market or lose mindshare because they produced great products that simply failed in the market. They lost or are losing because others were far better at creating good products and services or they royally screwed up.

I hope Apple remains committed to perfection, and not let the religious fervor of fanboys influence their decision to solve problems when they occur.
post #48 of 125
Personally, I am glad this story was posted. I was considering returning my Ipad3 Wifi as I have seen this issue. I am not an Apple hater, but I tested this with iPhone4, iPhone 3GS, iPad1, and iPod touch and I found worst reception (tested with speedtest.net and from the same spots, using several locations inside the house). All devices have iOS 5.1. I restarted the Airport Extreme(s) to make sure that wasn't an issue either. I noticed it was worse. I have 35MB up/down, so slower speed and worse reception didn't hurt me so bad. I hope Apple looks at this. Own many, many Apple products and a total fan so again, I am not a hater.
post #49 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

"Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad" is hardly what I would call a sensational headline.

I hope they do keep reporting these problems. Users have a right to know if there are any generic problems with the iPad 3 or if its just isolated incidents. Would you prefer it if they all conspired to hide these stories from us? Apple never hold their hands up to anything so we need sites like this to keep us all informed.

Freedom of the press is a landmark principle we should never let go. Without it you end up with censorship of the internet like they have in China.
post #50 of 125
Some of this is psychology, some of it is environment. When a story like this gets a lot of publicity, people will look for the issue in their iPad at home. They will be a lot more sensitive to it any given time where as had they never heard of the issue, they would not notice.

Environment your iPad is in at any given moment can be effected by all sorts of radio signals going on around it. Isolated incidents being reported within a week of launch I take little faith in. Widespread reports over several weeks and months, I'd be a little more concerned.
post #51 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermustard View Post

I have dropped my new iPad more frequently than my original iPad. I think it may be more sensitive to gravity than the first iPad.

The extra weight makes it fall faster as well - Apple should have warned us
post #52 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakime View Post

This is getting ridiculous, are Appleinsider and other sites going to report every minor issue that people may have with their device? All with sensational headlines?

So now that pundits are realizing how non sense is the heating story, they are shifting to something else? For god sake, Apple sold three million devices, it is normal that some few people may experience some troubles. Does that need to be reported eveytime to the point that you are about to report on every post in Apple support forums.

It ABSOLUTELY should be covered by AI and others, though put in the proper perspective. If I had bought an iPad 3 with this problem, it would be extremely helpful to see that others, though not a large percentage of users, also had this problem. Mentioning any possible solutions would be helpful as well.

It's about having all the information available - isn't that what the internet is about?

As another example, I'm at a total loss with a problem in iTunes - all links for Complete My Album have disappeared for me. Only a small number of people are having this problem, and Apple is not responding to my support inquiry. I'm hoping to read somewhere about a possible solution. Are you saying that nobody should cover this issue because it's only a small number of people?
post #53 of 125
Quote:

Ah, no, see, your hands are getting sweatier from the extra heat it puts off, so it slips out of your grip more easily.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #54 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Go on to any one of these techie sites and there's probably one pro Apple comment to 100 anti Apple. And whoever posted the pro Apple comment is labeled an fanboy, sheeple, etc. Engadget's story on Jony Ive's interview with the London Evening Standard garnered 1,900+ replies, with probably 90-95% anti Apple. It's ok to be a fandroid but if you like Apple you're fundamentally evil.

Well Engadget is defiantly Apple friendly, when you post anything negative about Apple you get your head bit off. Gizmodo, Wired, Boingboing, there are plenty of Apple friendly sites. Any site that is about Android, tweaking, hardware, programming unless specificly for iOS is not so friendly.

So choose your sites. This one seems to be pretty Appley friendly.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #55 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

The extra weight makes it fall faster as well - Apple should have warned us

That's not a given. Since the weight and size of the iPad 3 have both increased, it may fall at the same speed as the iPad 2 (if the density is the same). If one is of higher density, it will fall faster (it may even be the lighter one that's faster!). Note that the two are made of the same material, so that's not a factor.

Blame Galileo for figuring that out - by dropping objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa or something like that.
post #56 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Gizmodo Apple friendly site

Gizmodo. Apple-friendly. That's great!

post #57 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroth View Post

That's not a given. Since the weight and size of the iPad 3 have both increased, it may fall at the same speed as the iPad 2 (if the density is the same). If one is of higher density, it will fall faster (it may even be the lighter one that's faster!). Note that the two are made of the same material, so that's not a factor.

Blame Galileo for figuring that out - by dropping objects off the Leaning Tower of Pisa or something like that.

Not really. Density is not really the issue here. The issue is weight divided by surface area facing the wind. So if it were to fall flat on its front or back, the heavier one will fall faster (greater weight, less surface area). If it were to fall on its side, I believe the older one would fall faster (weight is only up about 5% but thickness is up about 10%, IIRC).

Of course, in a vacuum, they'd all fall at the same rate.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #58 of 125
Quote:

It ABSOLUTELY should be covered by AI and others, though put in the proper perspective. If I had bought an iPad 3 with this problem, it would be extremely helpful to see that others, though not a large percentage of users, also had this problem. Mentioning any possible solutions would be helpful as well.

It's about having all the information available - isn't that what the internet is about?

As another example, I'm at a total loss with a problem in iTunes - all links for Complete My Album have disappeared for me. Only a small number of people are having this problem, and Apple is not responding to my support inquiry. I'm hoping to read somewhere about a possible solution. Are you saying that nobody should cover this issue because it's only a small number of people?

You are not making any sense, if you want to do what you claim would like to be able to do, just go to Apple Support forums, search for the given issue and try to get help or shared informations there. You don't need AI for that, this is what Support forums are for.
post #59 of 125
Quote:

I missed out the /s
BTW Rumor has it that Galileo didn't really drop anything of the tower, he just thought about it. He figured if a 'heavier' object would fall faster than a lighter one - then you could chain them together and they would exert an increasing force between them as they fell - and if such a force exited then surely objects would try to explode as they fell....
post #60 of 125
As I sit here on the throne dictating this, I show a full fan for Wi-Fi... Thankfully!
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #61 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

"Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad" is hardly what I would call a sensational headline.

I hope they do keep reporting these problems. Users have a right to know if there are any generic problems with the iPad 3 or if its just isolated incidents. Would you prefer it if they all conspired to hide these stories from us? Apple never hold their hands up to anything so we need sites like this to keep us all informed.

Freedom of the press is a landmark principle we should never let go. Without it you end up with censorship of the internet like they have in China.

You are getting it wrong. No one is asking to hide anything, but one could ask for objective report. A non sensational headline would be something like "Small number of users experiencing weak wifi reception with Apple's new iPad" because this is what it is, a small number of people.

And allow me to think that given the small number of people, I doubt about the necessity of reporting anything on the matter or then AI should report on every Apple support thread having a few dozen people in it.
post #62 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadpchaudhari View Post

Guys,
I have never had a Ipad b4 , planning to Get the New Ipad when it arrives in my country ...
Must i leave this new Ipad ?
May be ppl who have already purchased this know better

I suggest that you buy it you will never look back.

post #63 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

You left out
4.5 Majority of posters on AI deny there is any problem at all.
4.6 Any poster on AI who says it is a problem is called a troll.

Well, if the shoe fits?
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #64 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As I sit here on the throne dictating this, I show a full fan for Wi-Fi... Thankfully!

You could probably use that fan right about now?
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

Oh, geeeeez, here we go again.

I received my new iPad (3rd gen.) Friday and have been using at least two hours / day, and I'm seeing no difference whatsoever in Wifi connectivity between the new one and my original iPad.

The iHaters are out in full force yet once again.

My new iPad is a tremendous leap forward from both the original iPad and iPad 2 - the retina display is phenomenal. Try as I may to get close enough to see pixelation, I cannot do so. Images on the display are sharp, rich, and beautiful. When I go back to my original iPad for comparison, my experience isn't "bad", but I definitely notice the pixelation.

The new iPad is the best Apple product I've ever owned, and that's saying a lot, having owned a Mac SE, original iMac, PowerMac G4, PowerMac G5, G3 iBook, MBP (2009), Mac Pro, all iPhone models except for the 3G, and original iPad. If you haven't gotten to use the new iPad, give it a try. It is a fantastic device.

You said brother/ sister!
I'm writing this now on my new iPad and I ain't having no damn problems with connectivity!
And the retina display is effing awesome.
Haters will hate!
Go Apple Apple! Go Apple!
post #66 of 125
I was one of the ones who got an iPad 3 with WiFi problems. In the setup Wizard it was unable to connect to my home WiFi and had to finish the setup with iTunes. Then when trying to connect to WiFi in Settings it would either fail to show any networks, or it would connect but then 10 seconds later disconnect. Then more seriously, after 3 attempts to reconnect the iPad would kernel panic and reboot. Luckily I use Xcode so was able to confirm the WiFi failure by looking at the console log:

Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: ================================================== ==============================
Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::start(): ERROR: Device has transitioned into CPUless mode!!!
Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::start(): Please file a radar in Purple WiFi HSIC and attach the output of: ioreg -l -w0
Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: ================================================== ==============================
Mar 17 15:20:39 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANBusInterfaceHSIC::handleCPULessMode(): Dumping SoCRAM to registry property (CPULessSoCRAM) under wlan
Mar 17 15:20:41 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANJ1PlatformManager::reconnectBus(): Error (I/O timeout) waiting for bus to reconnect, tid(000001b0), will reset chip, (numClients: 1) (ConnectNotReceived:0
Mar 17 15:20:41 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLANCore::getSUPPORTED_CHANNELS(): chanspecs failed, error device is offline

As you can see because of the errors it resorts to resetting the chip. I took my DOA iPad and the evidence to the Apple store and I got a replacement right away (which worked fine). Also I think there is less of a pink tinge on the screen at high viewing angles so much happier with the replacement.
post #67 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

I have had this with the ipad 2 since the first day. The wifi signal strength just randomly goes up and down.

Oh and it's with many different routers, not just using my personal one.

I've seen this on my 4s. Same with new iPad. Speeds are higher than 3GS/iOS 5.1, but only 3GS always reliably connects. Once or twice a month, wifi stops responding altogether for 4s/iPad, while 3GS soldiers on. Cycling router or wifi connections on devices clears the issue. More features + age = more tolerance for minor annoyances.
post #68 of 125
I am also having problems with Wi-Fi. I am getting 3-4 bars on the iPod Touch and either one or none at all on the new iPad.

At nearly $750, I am going to return it for now and wait to see if it isn't fixed by my birthday this summer. Luckily, I have the Macbook Air also.
post #69 of 125
No issue here.

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

CNN: Obamacare largest tax increase in American history

FORBES: ObamaCare's 7 Tax Hikes On Middle class

post #70 of 125
Seems to be the same as the iPad 2 although the signal to my wireless n access point seems to have improved.
post #71 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Well, if the shoe fits?

Not really, but the original list was incomplete.
post #72 of 125
Beats out my 4s and my MBP early 2011.

For anyone actually experiencing this (as compared to the usual trolls) just get it replaced.
post #73 of 125
So, I take it that many of you would deny, deny, deny there could EVER possibly be ANY issues with ANY Apple product... Ever. Even after Tim Cook gets on their screen and confirms it...

People on here will still call anybody a whiner for pointing out an issue. I have given Apple probably over $20,000 over the past 10 years. If I even MENTION an issue, I'm gonna get called a whiner? Seriously people...

I have two new iPads.

MY iPad has no WiFi issue, but it DOES have a severe "burn in" issue (I know, I know, it's not called "burn in" on LCD displays... a handful of you will use that as proof that I'm clueless and my issue shouldn't be something anybody pays attention to).

My WIFEs iPad ABSOLUTELY has a WiFi issue. Unless we're very close to the router... it drops it's connection randomly and regularly.

You people on this thread need to get a grip.
post #74 of 125
Quote:

I actually found my WiFi on the 3rd gen far superior to my iPad 1

Me too - its much faster.

And lighter too!
post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

You said brother/ sister!
I'm writing this now on my new iPad and I ain't having no damn problems with connectivity!
And the retina display is effing awesome.
Haters will hate!
Go Apple Apple! Go Apple!

Yeah... because maccherry isn't having the issue with his iPad, that proves that anybody suggesting they do have the issue... is a "hater."

Genius.
post #76 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Well, if the shoe fits?

And again... justiflybob says I'm a "troll" for daring to point out that I have an iPad with the wifi issue. I wonder what he's going to say when he hears that BOTH of my iPads have an issue.

I can even post the screen of my "burn in" issue and he'd call me a troll for pointing it out.

Get a grip people...
post #77 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

My WIFEs iPad ABSOLUTELY has a WiFi issue. Unless we're very close to the router... it drops it's connection randomly and regularly.

There might be an issue for a few of the 3 Million hand assembled devices out there?

Shocking!

Quote:
You people on this thread need to get a grip.

pot, kettle...
post #78 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Yep, and as I have said before, before are just stupid and want to find ways to complain. There's always going to someone isn't happy. Same is true for average Yelp reviews.

Yeah... I'm stupid. kkerst just verified it.

I'm not actually having problems with my WiFi (or my screen on the other one). It's just that I'm stupid.
post #79 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

There might be an issue for a few of the 3 Million hand assembled devices out there?

Shocking!

pot, kettle...

DocNo, what in the world is your point? Yes, there might be an issue for a few of the 3 million devices. I know that. And... because I point out that I am one of the people that this affects... I need to get a grip? Seriously?

Am I freaking out about the issue? Am I saying that Apple sucks because of the issue? Am I saying that no product should never have any issues? Am I bitching that I don't think Apple will absolutely take care of my problem?

Can you tell me what *I* did specific to the issue I am having that requires me to "get a grip?" The ONLY ONLY thing I did was say that I have the issue. Because of that... I get told... "I'm stupid," "I'm a hater" and "I'm a troll."

You would ONLY be happy if nobody ever, every mentioned anything about a problem with an Apple product... ever. As I said... Apple's probably gotten about $20k from me over the past 10 years and will likely get another $20k from me over the next 10. BUT ZOMG, IF HE EVER SAYS HE HAS A PROBLEM, HE'S CLEARLY AN ANTI-APPLE TROLL!!1!
post #80 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobringer View Post

And again... justiflybob says I'm a "troll" for daring to point out that I have an iPad with the wifi issue. I wonder what he's going to say when he hears that BOTH of my iPads have an issue.

Then go get 'em replaced.

No company is 100% flawless. The damn thing are hand assembled literally by the millions, after all.

One thing I've had awesome experiences with Apple on are support. There's a reason they CONSISTANTLY come out on top in customer satisfaction surveys.

Yes, it may take a few weeks or even a month to get your issue resolved - either due to software or delays in replacement hardware due to demand. Big deal. That's life. You got the bum roll of the dice. The good news, unless you are some kind of unreasonable nut, Apple will make you happy. And even if your a nut they will refund your purchase.

I'm not just making that up - its my EXPERIENCE with them for over two decades for not just myself, but friends, family, associates and businesses.

So take a pill, ignore the idiots implying your some sort of hater for mrntioning you are having an issue (again stuff happens) and let Apple take care of it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Users complain of weak Wi-Fi reception with Apple's new iPad