or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display

post #1 of 110
Thread Starter 
An unverified report claims Apple has begun placing orders for a 4.6-inch Retina Display bound for the next-generation iPhone that could launch as early as "around the second quarter."

Reuters issued the report on Wednesday, citing South Korea's Maeil Business Newspaper. An unnamed industry source reportedly told the Korean publication that Apple has chosen the larger display and has already begun ordering the part from suppliers.

The rumor suggested that domestic Korean suppliers have received the orders, making Samsung and LG likely candidates as suppliers. Both companies have supplied displays for Apple's mobile products in the past.

The original report also claimed that the new display would be a Retina Display, which Apple specifies as having a pixel density of 300 pixels per inch when used at a distance of 10-12 inches.

If accurate, Wednesday's report signals a break by Apple from its past practice, as the company has elected not to change the 3.5-inch screen size of the iPhone since it launched in 2007. However, the likelihood that the rumor is indeed accurate appears to be relatively low. Rumors of a 4-inch iPhone screen have persisted for some time now, but claims of a 4.6-inch screen size are some of the largest yet.


Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone has a 4.65-inch screen


In addition, the rumored second quarter launch is highly questionable, as it would mean a new iPhone arriving between six to nine months after the iPhone 4S. A of the original report has the article claiming the new handset will come out "this summer" with no mention of the second quarter. The astronomical definition of summer most closely aligns with the third quarter of the calendar year. Multiple reports have pointed to a September or October launch for the next-generation iPhone.

A number of Wall Street analysts expect the sixth-generation iPhone to incorporate 4G LTE. Investment firm Barclays said on Wednesday that Apple is reviewing components for the next iPhone and is likely to utilize the Qualcomm "MDM9615" chip that supports voice and data connections over LTE. Speculation has also arisen that Apple will revert to a simpler naming scheme for the iPhone as it has recently done with the iPad.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 110
Keep in mind that iPhones have always used 3:2 aspect ratio displays. A 4.6" with a 3:2 aspect ratio will be quite huge. The 4+ inch phones currently on the market are mostly 16:9, which is long and narrow (relatively speaking).

If the rumor is true, either Apple will change the aspect ratio on the new iPhone and wreck havoc on how developers design their apps, or it keeps the 3:2 ratio and end up with a monstrosity that doesn't fit in your palm. I highly doubt this will happen.
post #3 of 110
... And these types of rumors are how Apple conducts free market research.
...
Also, this is so unbelievably false I can't even believe AI is reporting this.
post #4 of 110
Well isn't that interesting...

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

Of course this article is based upon a 'rumor' so we'll likely never see anything remotely close on the 'new iPhone'.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #5 of 110
I'm pretty sure 300 ppi is 300 ppi no matter how far away you hold it.
post #6 of 110
Seriously doubt this will happen. That is approaching the Samsung Galaxy Note size, which seems ginormous for a phone. I don't want a tablet in my pocket.
post #7 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Keep in mind that iPhones have always used 3:2 aspect ratio displays. A 4.6" with a 3:2 aspect ratio will be quite huge. The 4+ inch phones currently on the market are mostly 16:9, which is long and narrow (relatively speaking).

If the rumor is true, either Apple will change the aspect ratio on the new iPhone and wreck havoc on how developers design their apps, or it keeps the 3:2 ratio and end up with a monstrosity that doesn't fit in your palm. I highly doubt this will happen.

That size of screen would warrant a change to aspect ratio and letter boxing current apps. Some apps may be able to just grow depending on the controls they are using...
post #8 of 110
So a 4.6" display with no info on the aspect ratio, resolution or how a 4.6" display would appeal to iPhone users. Has anyone seen the Galaxy Nexus? It uses a horrible PenTile display and huge. Part of their size is because of LTE but with the MDM9615 Apple doesn't need to worry about that.

I'd like a larger iPhone but at the same resolution the size needed to maintain both the user experience and Retina Display label falls around 4". That's only 1/2" but that's 31% larger.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

That size of screen would warrant a change to aspect ratio and letter boxing current apps. Some apps may be able to just grow depending on the controls they are using...

While I think it's too large if using other such phones as a gauge regardless of aspect ratio would Apple really have developers add a 2nd resolution to their iOS apps in the same year, especially one that doesn't scale like with their previous solutions? At this point such a rumour sounds very fabricated for the next iPhone.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #9 of 110
I am pretty happy with my iPHone 4s. I wonder if this new iPhone's upgrades are gonna be mostly screen size and maybe Megapixel camera of 12 and LTE. I really don't see any need to upgrade. I enjoy my 4s very well.
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #10 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well isn't that interesting...

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

Of course this article is based upon a 'rumor' so we'll likely never see anything remotely close on the 'new iPhone'.

Super troll
post #11 of 110
Only Fandroids think a huge screen is a good idea, mostly because they only care about boastable tech specs & not practical functionality. If I want a large screen that's what the iPad is for, let a phone be a phone for crying out loud.
post #12 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Only Fandroids think a huge screen is a good idea, mostly because they only care about boastable tech specs & not practical functionality. If I want a large screen that's what the iPad is for, let a phone be a phone for crying out loud.

A slightly bigger screen with same resolution and aspect ratio would be nice. Maybe a 4.0" but nothing bigger. I still want it to fit comfortably in my shirt pocket.
post #13 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well isn't that interesting...

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

Of course this article is based upon a 'rumor' so we'll likely never see anything remotely close on the 'new iPhone'.

I totally agree with this rumor, supplied by an unknown source, that is most likely a Korean competitor, with very little morals, probably involved in a high level of litigation against said company that they also supply parts for.

Apple have decided to heavily invest in A. I. for their phones, hence negating any type of size requirement, while ALSO increasing the screen size so that the incredibly intelligent bastard can't fit in your pocket.

That so utterly, utterly, utterly makes sense.

Utterly.

I can see now how some people are so stupid that they buy cheap-ass Android devices.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #14 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.

give us a break, we want a good read so stay at engadget you troll
post #15 of 110

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #16 of 110
I think there's plenty of room in the market for two different iPhone models. It seems that Jobs was dead set on 3.5" being the perfect size for everyone but I'm not sure Tim Cook is as idealistic about these things. For Apple's bottom line an iPhone Pro at 4.6" is sure to carry a bigger margin -- certainly they do fine selling half a dozen different types of Macs, so I don't see why there shouldn't be different size iPhones at some point. Developers will have to do a little extra work to support another screen resolution but re-working a GUI for 3.5" vs. 4.6" is not a huge deal.
post #17 of 110
The bigger the remote the more power it feels like you have to some people. Bigger is better when it comes to penis size not phone size. Fan droids are compensating to smaller body parts.
post #18 of 110
Too big. My iPhone barley fits in my pocket as is. I hope not.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #19 of 110
Not gonna happen. If they enlarge the screen, it won't go over 4".
post #20 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I think there's plenty of room in the market for two different iPhone models. It seems that Jobs was dead set on 3.5" being the perfect size for everyone but I'm not sure Tim Cook is as idealistic about these things.

I don't get this Jobs v. Cook mentality or why people expect things to change drastically this quickly. You didn't say this but plenty of comments floating around how Apple under Jobs would never released the iPad with x issue. Now we have talk that because Cook is in charge we'll see a huge phone that will be wider than the Galaxy Nexus less than a year after Jobs' death? It's simply not possible.

If there is a larger iPhone it's because it was decided under Jobs rule that there should be a larger iPhone in 2012. Sure, Cook has overall control and a few things could have been tweaked but you can't jump to a new display size, casing, internal layout, component sizing, manufacturing, packaging, etc. 6 months before you launch without having this on the ready for well over a year before Jobs passed.

Quote:
For Apple's bottom line an iPhone Pro at 4.6" is sure to carry a bigger margin -- certainly they do fine selling half a dozen different types of Macs, so I don't see why there shouldn't be different size iPhones at some point. Developers will have to do a little extra work to support another screen resolution but re-working a GUI for 3.5" vs. 4.6" is not a huge deal.

What's the resolution of this phone? Is the aspect ratio different? What about App Store apps? Have you noticed that even with the same size and aspect ratio there are plenty of apps that simply don't work right on the new iPad? Do you see how a new display size, resolutions AND aspect ratio would reset the App Store for this device to zero and be a 5th device developers would have to test for?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 110
Too big.

4" maximum for a screen.
post #22 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

My Galaxy Nexus already has a 4.65 inch display (as shown in the article), though it's of the much more vibrant, power-efficient AMOLED variety.



Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has anyone seen the Galaxy Nexus? It uses a horrible PenTile display and huge...




LOL...love it!

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #23 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Fan droids are compensating to smaller body parts.

Didn't they used to say that about guns?

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #24 of 110
It's more likely that Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio will drop by for a night of sex with me than it is that this rumor is true.

And Adriana is married, a mother of two, and highly religious. And Alessandra is presently about four months pregnant.

So, do the math.
post #25 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Too big.

4" maximum for a screen.

Agreed, 4" would be a nice size. Does anyone know what the PPI will be on a 4" at 960 x 640 ?
post #26 of 110
4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively. Eventually, the current iPhone aspect ratio will be phased out and developers will only need to worry about one aspect ratio with 2X graphic for iPad and 1X graphic for iPhone.

Imagine how happy app developers would be if their apps can be 1024x768 for iPhone and 2048x1536 for iPad.

The app store can be updated to look like this.

iPhone
iPhone 5 and iPad

Then in a few years when Apple no longer supports the iPhone 4/4S like they no longer support iPhone 3G and iPhone original... all they need to worry about is an app store without tabs for iPhone and iPad like they do now since the aspect ration would still be the same with different resolutions which can just be 1x or 2x graphics.

A 4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 resolution would have a screen size of 3.2" x 2.4" with 320 DPI.
post #27 of 110
I don't believe this rumor.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #28 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively. Eventually, the current iPhone aspect ratio will be phased out and developers will only need to worry about one aspect ratio with 2X graphic for iPad and 1X graphic for iPhone.

Imagine how happy app developers would be if their apps can be 1024x768 for iPhone and 2048x1536 for iPad.

The app store can be updated to look like this.

iPhone
iPhone 5 and iPad

Then in a few years when Apple no longer supports the iPhone 4/4S like they no longer support iPhone 3G and iPhone original... all they need to worry about is an app store without tabs for iPhone and iPad like they do now since the aspect ration would still be the same with different resolutions which can just be 1x or 2x graphics.

A 4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 resolution would have a screen size of 3.2" x 2.4" with 320 DPI.

Brilliant analysis. I am not sure this will happen your proposal is rational and reasonable without requiring significant effort by developers and continuing to utilize the Retina Display.
post #29 of 110
This looks more suited for a new iPod Touch, than an iPhone. We are used to the concept of the iPod touch being the iPhone without the phone. But, there is no reason it should be so.

the way iPod Touch has evolved, I think a 4.6" screen would be ideal for that device. Since, the larger screen would be nicer for gaming and other apps, and since it is not a phone, most people are not necessarily carrying it in a pocket like one. Infact, most people I have seen carry the iTouch in their backpack, or some thing of that kind.

Or atleast a new variant of iPod Touch?
post #30 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

4" iPhone with 1024 by 768 pixel would be great. If Apple makes this move, App developers won't need to make updates to their apps as the 4" iPhone can use iPad apps natively.

Wait, what? You are completely ignoring the SIZE of the devices. When developing for the iPad I'm developing buttons and UI locations based on how far thumbs are from the edge of the screen and how far a reach it is between common tasks. The size of the buttons would be incredibly small if you took most iPad apps and shrunk them down to the size of a phone screen. Just imagine how tiny the iPad keyboard keys would be is using the same image but on a phone sized screen.

Maybe a better analogy is to just look at an iPhone only app running on an iPad and how rediculously large the buttons and UI look. Now take that problem in reverse and think rediculously small.
post #31 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

It's more likely that Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrosio will drop by for a night of sex with me than it is that this rumor is true.

Even more unlikely is they'd say 4.6" is too big.


Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Agreed, 4" would be a nice size. Does anyone know what the PPI will be on a 4" at 960 x 640 ?

288.44 PPI.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #32 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Wait, what? You are completely ignoring the SIZE of the devices. When developing for the iPad I'm developing buttons and UI locations based on how far thumbs are from the edge of the screen and how far a reach it is between common tasks. The size of the buttons would be incredibly small if you took most iPad apps and shrunk them down to the size of a phone screen. Just imagine how tiny the iPad keyboard keys would be is using the same image but on a phone sized screen.

Good point! I wasn't thinking very hard when I said that!
post #33 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Too big. 4" maximum...

That's what she said!
post #34 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even more unlikely is they'd say 4.6" is too big.

Damn... Beat me to it.
post #35 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

I wasn't thinking very hard...!

That's what he said!
post #36 of 110
A 4.6" display? Yeah right.
post #37 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even more unlikely is they'd say 4.6" is too big.

LOL

OK, that was cold.
post #38 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJoe View Post

I think there's plenty of room in the market for two different iPhone models. It seems that Jobs was dead set on 3.5" being the perfect size for everyone but I'm not sure Tim Cook is as idealistic about these things. For Apple's bottom line an iPhone Pro at 4.6" is sure to carry a bigger margin -- certainly they do fine selling half a dozen different types of Macs, so I don't see why there shouldn't be different size iPhones at some point. Developers will have to do a little extra work to support another screen resolution but re-working a GUI for 3.5" vs. 4.6" is not a huge deal.

You don't think Jony Ive had a say in the size of the new phone? My guess is he and and Steve had the next phone worked out well before Steve died.

Honestly I can't see Apple using the 'Pro' name with any of their iOS devices. IMO the only way we'll ever get different phone sizes is if the new iPhone is 4" and they continue to sell the iPhone 4/4S.
post #39 of 110
This seems dubious to me. They don't primarily choose based on what tech is available, or what the competition is doing, but what fits comfortably in your hand. If history is any guide, an iPhone mini is more likely.
post #40 of 110
It's completely ridiculous to think that this could be for the next iPhone.

A 4.6" screen with the iPhone's aspect ratio would be difficult to even hold.

Apple would need to change the aspect ratio which would change the UI which is something Apple simply can't do.

So here's a news flash (6 months and about 1000 completely ridiculous rumours ahead of time)... the form factor on the next iPhone will be pretty much the same as the current iPhone.

So if there is any truth at all to this rumour the screen must be for something else.

The question is... what could it be? A new iPod touch? A controller for the new Apple TV? Something entirely new?!?!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone to feature 4.6-inch Retina Display