or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone tops BlackBerry in RIM's home of Canada for first time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone tops BlackBerry in RIM's home of Canada for first time

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Last year marked the first time ever that Apple outsold Research in Motion in its home country of Canada, as Canadians move from BlackBerry to the iPhone.

RIM shipped 2.08 million BlackBerrys last year in Canada, while Apple bested the company by shipping 2.85 million iPhones, according to data from IDC and Bloomberg. Though Canadians have remained loyal to their homegrown BlackBerry brand for years, smartphone sales in 2011 show that devotion waning.

A year earlier, in 2010, BlackBerry sales were 500,000 greater than the iPhone, while in 2008 the BlackBerry outsold the iPhone by a nearly five-to-one margin.

RIM has quickly fallen from being the market leader to an outsider, as Apple's iPhone and devices running Google's Android operating system have risen to prominence. The company's losses prompted the ouster of the company's co-CEOs earlier this year.

The new CEO, Thorsten Heins, plans to oversee the launch of RIM's forthcoming mobile operating system update, BlackBerry 10, later this year. Smartphones running BlackBerry 10 are expected to arrive in the second half of 2010, but many analysts feel it will be too little, too late for the struggling Canadian smartphone maker.

While RIM is no longer the market leader in its home country, the BlackBerry still has success in some emerging markets, Bloomberg noted on Thursday. Specifically, RIM shipped 8.3 million BlackBerrys in the Middle East and Africa last year, while Apple shipped 2.5 million iPhones.




"In Saudi Arabia, teenagers have embraced RIM because they can flirt using its free BlackBerry Messenger instant messaging, avoiding local religious police who restrict interaction between unmarried men and women," the report said.

Apple has also failed thus far to unseat RIM's BlackBerry in Latin America. Last year, RIM sold 10.6 million BlackBerrys there, while Apple sold 2.1 million iPhones.

Instead, Apple has focused most of its attention on China, viewing it as a huge market with astounding growth potential. That bet has paid off thus far for the company, as evidenced by the news this week that China is the world leader in iOS device activations.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 23
Wait...it took this long to outcompete that sitting duck? I dunno whether to be annoyed at Apple for not trying very hard, or ashamed of Canadians for being so needlessly masochistic.
post #3 of 23
Seriously Canada, what's wrong with you?
post #4 of 23
Actually, Android is the biggest selling in Canada... By far. It's being aggressively pushed by telcos here, and you can get many phones for free, and as you know, free always sells best.
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Seriously Canada, what's wrong with you?

First world issues... Oh no we're too slow adopting the latest tech.

Gimme a break...
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

Actually, Android is the biggest selling in Canada... By far. It's being aggressively pushed by telcos here, and you can get many phones for free, and as you know, free always sells best.

They'll also subsidize top of the line Android phones quite heavily, you can get a 600 dollar dual-core, large screen Android for a hundred bucks or less if you sign a contract.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

First world issues... Oh no we're too slow adopting the latest tech.

Gimme a break...

Learn to take a joke.
post #8 of 23
Too many of them were giving the "well, it's more secure...i guess...that's what my IT guy says...wait...he got fired a year ago" line

A friend of mine asked me "what is the most secure phone on the market today? President Obama's Blackberry." So i returned with "yeah, AND his trusty iPad 2 in his carrying case"
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
post #9 of 23
Well, it's about time Canada! Far too many Canadians have been caught up in the RIM reality distortion field for far too long.

post #10 of 23
Corel....ATI....Nortel....RIM....

Sigh.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, it's about time Canada! Far too many Canadians have been caught up in the RIM reality distortion field for far too long.


So glad the W.G.A. finally became involved.
post #12 of 23
95% of all adverts here are for stupid Andriod or BB phones. There is an annoying dearth of iPhone ads. Of course, all the free phones are Andriod. When the iPhone came here, for the first year or so when Rogers had a monopoly, they should have plugged the iPhone like crazy, but astonishingly, no. All BB, then later all Andriod, all the time.
Idiots......
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

95% of all adverts here are for stupid Andriod or BB phones. There is an annoying dearth of iPhone ads. Of course, all the free phones are Andriod. When the iPhone came here, for the first year or so when Rogers had a monopoly, they should have plugged the iPhone like crazy, but astonishingly, no. All BB, then later all Andriod, all the time.
Idiots......

One word explains it all:

Spiffs
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

Actually, Android is the biggest selling in Canada... By far. It's being aggressively pushed by telcos here, and you can get many phones for free, and as you know, free always sells best.

There is no free (with 2 year contract) iPhones 3GS in Canada?
post #15 of 23
RIM produces junk today. And they don't give a damn about it, either.

Like this was never going to happen?
post #16 of 23
Dont know if giving out free phone is considered as selling.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Smartphones running BlackBerry 10 are expected to arrive in the second half of 2010, but many analysts feel it will be too little, too late for the struggling Canadian smartphone maker.

Nope, I think that 2010 would have been just about right... pity (for RIM) that you actually mean 2012 \
post #18 of 23
About every month or two I get a big junkmail envelope from Rogers (one of the big carriers in Canada) offering me a bunch of new phones to choose from. They have never put an iPhone in that flyer. There are usually 3 or 4 android phones and 1 or 2 rim phones, ranging from free to $200, all with contract of course.

I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone ad in print, and the only iPhone ads I see on television are the ones Apple runs. In contrast, all the commercials that the carriers run feature android phones. I do see commercials for rim but I believe those are put out by rim - I don't think they're carrier-specific commercials that are advertising rim phones.

I am surprised though that it's taken until now for iPhone to surpass Rim in sales. Of everyone I know with a smartphone, there's one blackberry and the rest are all iPhones. Maybe I just hang with the right crowd.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak_the_great View Post

Dont know if giving out free phone is considered as selling.

A sale is a transaction. In this case a free phone requires a contractual obligation which has an associated cost. On top of that the carrier has a contract to pay the vendor x amount for each of the "free" handsets. They all count.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

95% of all adverts here are for stupid Andriod or BB phones. There is an annoying dearth of iPhone ads. Of course, all the free phones are Andriod. When the iPhone came here, for the first year or so when Rogers had a monopoly, they should have plugged the iPhone like crazy, but astonishingly, no. All BB, then later all Andriod, all the time.
Idiots......

Wow. You make it sound Canadians missed out on a miracle cancer drug for soooooooo long!
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

There is no free (with 2 year contract) iPhones 3GS in Canada?

Yes, there is.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

There is no free (with 2 year contract) iPhones 3GS in Canada?

I think there is, but when you can get an HTC Amaze (1.5 Ghz dual core, 4.3 inch S-LCD, 1 GB ram, 16 GB storage + SD card slot, 42 mbps HSPA+) for free, or the LG Optimus LTE for 30 dollars (1.5 Ghz dual core, 1 GB ram, LTE 75 mbps, 4.5" 720p IPS LCD screen with a higher DPI than Apple's retina screen), then no one is going to consider any Apple phone that's not the 4S, and most if not everyone who wants a free phone will take the spec-ed out Android.

The iPhone 3GS was good when it came out, but compared to any mid to high-end Android released in the last year to 18 months, doesn't look very good.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

About every month or two I get a big junkmail envelope from Rogers (one of the big carriers in Canada) offering me a bunch of new phones to choose from. They have never put an iPhone in that flyer. There are usually 3 or 4 android phones and 1 or 2 rim phones, ranging from free to $200, all with contract of course.

I don't think I've ever seen an iPhone ad in print, and the only iPhone ads I see on television are the ones Apple runs. In contrast, all the commercials that the carriers run feature android phones. I do see commercials for rim but I believe those are put out by rim - I don't think they're carrier-specific commercials that are advertising rim phones.

I am surprised though that it's taken until now for iPhone to surpass Rim in sales. Of everyone I know with a smartphone, there's one blackberry and the rest are all iPhones. Maybe I just hang with the right crowd.

The business class is still completely dominated by BB. In the US it's considered acceptable for employees to use iPhones (probably because of patriotic pride), in Canada, companies still hand out BBs, and nothing else. If they ever replace them, it will probably be a customized Android phone, but for now, BB still is king (for corporations).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone tops BlackBerry in RIM's home of Canada for first time