or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama: "Solyndra was not our program"

Obama: "Solyndra was not our program"

post #1 of 31
and says "this wasn't our program."

This is perhaps one of the most bald-faced lies I've ever seen. Obama first places blame on--who else--anyone but himself. He blames Congress, the Chinese, etc. He then launches into what is a defense of him using taxpayer dollars to play venture capitalist.

Disgusting.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 31
Yea let's ignore the politically motivated loan and lose of tax payer money and blame others. Little chance we'll get our money back from GM and Chrysler too.
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is perhaps one of the most bald-faced lies I've ever seen. Obama first places blame on--who else--anyone but himself. He blames Congress, the Chinese, etc. He then launches into what is a defense of him using taxpayer dollars to play venture capitalist.

Disgusting.

OUTRAGE CLOUDING ABILITY TO LOOK OBJECTIVELY AT SITUATION ALERT!

Are you really telling me that Solyndra existed in a vacuum? That Solyndra was unaffected by global market prices and international investments in the same field? That China, pouring money into their alternative energy programs, deflating the cost of solar cells, had no effect?

I'm sorry that facts have no place in your narrative about our President. I wish they did. This country's discourse would be a lot better if one of the major parties didn't consistently try to live in an alternate reality.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

OUTRAGE CLOUDING ABILITY TO LOOK OBJECTIVELY AT SITUATION ALERT!

Yes...I figured your unmitigated rage would cause you to scream a personal attack.

Quote:

Are you really telling me that Solyndra existed in a vacuum?

No. I am saying the Obama administration cannot pretend that they thought it did when the loan was offered.

Quote:

That Solyndra was unaffected by global market prices and international investments in the same field? That China, pouring money into their alternative energy programs, deflating the cost of solar cells, had no effect?

No, am I saying the administration knew about these variables when making the loan and pursued it anyway despite Solyndra's high likelihood of failure. They did so out of blind ideology and short-term political gain.

Quote:

I'm sorry that facts have no place in your narrative about our President. I wish they did. This country's discourse would be a lot better if one of the major parties didn't consistently try to live in an alternate reality.

What delicious irony. Obama is now claiming he's not responsible for the Solyndra program. He's claiming there is no way they could have known what would happen. But, we know this is false. There were multiple warnings about Solyndra's viability. Seems to me someone is living in an alternate reality alright...it's Barack Obama.

And let's get back to Obama's refusal to even own up to the program. He actually tries to blame Congress for his venture capitalist ways:

Quote:
"But understand, this was not our program per se.

Congress–Democrats and Republicans–put together a loan guarantee program because they understood historically that when you get new industries–"

Interesting how in your knee-jerk Obama defense you didn't even address this point.
post #5 of 31
The reality that's there is bad enough. Politically motivated loan that the private sector took a pass on and internal documents showed was warned against ends up losing a half billion in tax payer money so Obama could do a dance in the endzone.
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

The reality that's there is bad enough. Politically motivated loan that the private sector took a pass on and internal documents showed was warned against ends up losing a half billion in tax payer money so Obama could do a dance in the endzone.

Yup. The problem is he dropped the ball, and started screaming at the officials that he was held.
post #7 of 31
Wait..it gets better! Now Obama is claiming that he's supported "enough pipeline to encircle the Earth and then some."

But wait...there's still more!

Quote:
Appearing before a backdrop of oil pipelines in Cushing, Obama said he was making construction a priority through an executive order issued Thursday that instructs federal agencies to expedite their review of the southern portion of the pipeline.
Today, Im directing my administration to cut through the red tape, break through the bureaucratic hurdles and make the project a priority, said Obama, who earlier this year rejected a GOP bid to force construction on the full pipeline, which would stretch from Alberta to the Gulf Coast.

This man has crossed over from major spin and Hope and Change, to bald-faced, finger-giving LYING. He's done everything possible to put his boot on the throats of the oil industry, and now he's out there claiming he's a supporter of increased production. He's done everything possible to explode the debt and the deficits, but it's Congress's fault and he wants deficit reduction. How this guy can have a 41% approval rating is beyond me. I take it there are a lot of people out there who like their "Obama Bucks."
post #8 of 31
Quote:

Disgusting.

Naturally it is all politics involved and Obama wants himself to look honest and trustworthy for the coming 2012 election.It's not his money but the taxpayers who lost on this deal of his.he cares less!
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Naturally it is all politics involved and Obama wants himself to look honest and trustworthy for the coming 2012 election.It's not his money but the taxpayers who lost on this deal of his.he cares less!

Exxxxcellent. Now, explain to me why Mitt Romney won't be a better President than Obama.

<makes popcorn>
post #10 of 31
Oh look: Obama plans to give Russia everything it wants after "HIS" election.
post #11 of 31
Quote:

and get nothing we want
post #12 of 31
Regardless of whatever shenanigans went on with Solyndra, it's like a delinquent parking ticket compared to the great energy rip off in California in 2000/2001... when the people of California were robbed of $billions by the likes of Enron etc... or Halliburton's $7 billion no-bid contract corporate welfare scam in Iraq to reconstruct infrastructure bombed by the military... and numerous other corporate crimes, scams, and ripoffs.... and thats not even starting on the Great Bankster Heist of 2008, or the Pentagon's still missing $2.3 TRILLION conveniently announced by Rumsfeld in the Senate on 9/10/2001.

The Solyndra cost to tax payers involves a shade over $0.5 billion in loan guarantees... that's pocket change... enough to fund just ONE of two illegal wars for a DAY AND A HALF to put this in perspective.

Solyndra became an issue with the rightwing because it involves renewable energy. The rightwing have a Tourettes' Syndrome twitch about alternative energy - a dysfunctional antagonism towards what they call "hippy tech" (wind, solar, geothermal, tidal etc). Solyndra's demise therefore attracted conservatives like yellow-jackets around a jam jar. However, they know that renewables are the way to go, and even Koch etc have taken advantage.

They just don't like to let their base know.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #13 of 31
Remember how those assholes ripped off california and were giddy that they were burning grandma! And remember when Bush did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so he could protect his chorines in Texas?

Yeah, I remember that too.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Remember how those assholes ripped off california and were giddy that they were burning grandma! And remember when Bush did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING so he could protect his chorines in Texas?

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Chorines? Don't you mean "cronies"...

.... or are "chorines" a particularly variety of crony, characterized by the emission of copious toxic fumes?
post #16 of 31
No one in this thread has demonstrated how solyndra was Obama's program.

The loan guarantee process was proposed under the bush administration.

The approval process began during the Bush administration, though it was delayed.

Obama oversaw approval of the previous administration's program, and took a very routine photo-op.

Yet the idea that it's not Obama's program is 'a bald faced lie'?

That, my friends, is a bald faced lie.
post #17 of 31
Whatever 'it was X's program' means...who cares? The key point is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Obama oversaw approval of the previous administration's program, and took a very routine photo-op.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #18 of 31
Quote:

The approval process began during the Bush administration, though it was delayed.

post #19 of 31
Quote:

I'm going to guess you haven't been reading the news reports about this. The Friday document dumps have been amusing.
post #20 of 31
Obama is toast. Obama is the most irresponsible and dishonest President ever. I don't think that most Americans will make the grave error of voting for him once again.
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Obama is toast. Obama is the most irresponsible and dishonest President ever. I don't think that most Americans will make the grave error of voting for him once again.

It's amazing how he has a 45% approval rating, or better. It's amazing that he leads in several swing states at present. This contrasts with virtually all of the anecdotal evidence I see out there. Of all the friends and acquaintances I have (with various political viewpoints) spoken to in the last year, I don't think I know of one that is enthusiastic or even happy about voting for Obama. The liberals I know simply wax on about what idiots the Republicans are, how they hate women, etc.
post #22 of 31
Quote:

Disgusting.

Where do you hear this new s from anyway?
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who would you vote for that is so great?
post #24 of 31
Quote:

Exxxxcellent. Now, explain to me why Mitt Romney won't be a better President than Obama.

<makes popcorn>

Romney is to plastic in his adhering to the public when he communicates with them.He maybe a good businessman but he has poor judgement when it comes to foreign policy which is essential today.
post #25 of 31
Quote:

Romney is to plastic in his adhering to the public when he communicates with them.He maybe a good businessman but he has poor judgement when it comes to foreign policy which is essential today.

It would be really hard for the next presiden to do worse than Obama when it comes to foreign policy.
post #26 of 31
Quote:

Romney is to plastic in his adhering to the public when he communicates with them.

That doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
...maybe a good businessman but he has poor judgement when it comes to foreign policy which is essential today.

And you support that with...what? His comment about Russia was spot on. They are our number one geopolitical foe. They are not an enemy, but they oppose much of our FP goals.
post #27 of 31

Taxpayers to Recover a Mere $24 Million from Solyndra; Networks Ignore

Quote:

The Examiner piece quoted the Dow newswire as pointing out that "documents filed Friday evening in a Delaware bankruptcy court say private equity firms, including one whose chief has ties to the Obama administration, will get back at least half of the $70 million they put into Solyndra early last year as the company battled for survival."

As the Examiner's Sean Higgins reminded, "US taxpayers, on the other hand, won't be so lucky."

U.S. taxpayers will lose 95.5 percent of their investment, but Obama-connected investigators will get back "at least half." Imagine how the media would react if the situation was reversed and this were true of a Republican president and his or her wealthy donors.

Nice.

post #28 of 31

Solyndra? who? que?

On September 10, 2001, Defense Secretary Don Rumsfeld gets up in front of the US Senate and calmly announces that $2.3 TRILLION, (yes Trillion, not Billion)... thats $2,300 Billion, of Pentagon funds had gone missing.  "According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions." - thats the equivalent to $8,000 for every man, woman and child in the United States. According to a report by the Inspector General, the Pentagon cannot account for 25 percent of what it spends!

Whatever. What's a mere $2.3 Trillion when we can go after the big fish like Solyndra? 

post #29 of 31

Are you kidding me with this fact of Rumsfeld really??

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Solyndra? who? que?

On September 10, 2001, Defense Secretary Don Rumsfeld gets up in front of the US Senate and calmly announces that $2.3 TRILLION, (yes Trillion, not Billion)... thats $2,300 Billion, of Pentagon funds had gone missing.  "According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions." - thats the equivalent to $8,000 for every man, woman and child in the United States. According to a report by the Inspector General, the Pentagon cannot account for 25 percent of what it spends!

Whatever. What's a mere $2.3 Trillion when we can go after the big fish like Solyndra? 

Considering the entire military budget for 2010 was $610 billion, this clearly needs some context.

That said, Obama is president and it isn't as if he has gone and found it, fixed it or changed it per any source you would cite. His crony-capitalism makes any graft, corruption and problems all worse. He won't drain the swamp. He has been expanding the problem for years.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Considering the entire military budget for 2010 was $610 billion, this clearly needs some context.

That said, Obama is president and it isn't as if he has gone and found it, fixed it or changed it per any source you would cite. His crony-capitalism makes any graft, corruption and problems all worse. He won't drain the swamp. He has been expanding the problem for years.

BTW, the military budget for 2010 was $815 billion... 

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with the Obama "crony capitalism charge" - his administration is a prime offender, as bad as his predecessor. It doesn't get more blatant than appointing a senior Monsanto executive to a top position in the Department of Agriculture - yikes.

Regarding that $2.3 Trillion Pentagon heist - possibly one of the greatest instances of theft in human history, not a word was asked. The Pentagon Comptroller at the time was Dov Zakheim, a very shady individual at best. And considering that the announcement was made one day before 9/11, it rendered asking questions, or conducting an inquiry into that 
missing $2.3 Trillion "inappropriate", or "impolite conversation"... in other words, the matter was effectively dropped.

Anyone got any suggestions re. making my credit card bills go missing?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Obama: "Solyndra was not our program"