or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen

post #1 of 168
Thread Starter 
Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive this fall sporting the same size 3.5-inch display and high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, according to a new rumor.

The new iPhone is most likely to show up in October, one year after the launch of the iPhone 4S, iMore reported on Friday. It said the current plan is for the next iPhone to have a 3.5-inch screen, but added it is not "set in stone" to be identical to the existing iPhone screen size.

Friday's rumor contradicts a report from earlier this week in which Reuters suggested Apple will switch to a much larger 4.6-inch Retina display for its next-generation iPhone. However, those claims were largely dismissed by Apple watchers who noted that a dramatic shift in screen size could present complications for developers who write software for the current 3.5-inch Retina display.

The next iPhone is also expected to sport a 4G LTE radio, an unsurprising addition considering Apple just introduced its first 4G LTE wireless device with the new iPad.

The same site claimed in February that Apple is looking to replace the 30-pin dock connector currently found in the iPhone, iPad and iPod lineup. The new port will allegedly be a smaller, space saving successor that is expected to debut on the new iPhone.

Rumors of Apple's next iPhone have picked up steam this week, including a note from investment firm Barclays that revealed Apple is currently reviewing potential components for its future handset. That report indicated Apple's sixth-generation iPhone would utilize Qualcomm's "MDM9615" LTE chip, which supports both voice and data connections over high-speed 4G networks.




The new iPhone is also expected to be a "world" device compatible with a variety of 4G LTE networks, much like the current iPhone 4S. The 4G LTE iPad is different, and comes in two different models to allow compatibility with Verizon and AT&T wireless networks in the U.S.

Barclays also claimed last month that the next iPhone will arrive in September or October of this year, lining up with last year's iPhone 4S launch. The iPhone debut in 2011 was uncharacteristic for Apple, which had previously launched new handsets in June or July.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]
post #2 of 168
There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.
post #3 of 168
How is this a rumor? Is this not common sense?
post #4 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Enjoy your future android phone.
post #5 of 168
This all makes more sense than a 4.6" iPhone. It seems unlikely they would add a 2nd display for devs to deal with in the same year but I do hope they move to a 4" 3:2 display that fits into the same size casing.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #6 of 168
Still think they will go with a 4" screen.
post #7 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

Enjoy your future android phone.

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.
post #8 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's sixth-generation iPhone will arrive this fall sporting the same size 3.5-inch display and high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, according to a new rumour. ...

Duh! \

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow, the sky will remain blue and cars will still use those round "wheel" thingies to get around on.
post #9 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.
post #10 of 168
LOL so what happened to the 4.6" screen?
post #11 of 168
Small screens are better!

Big screens are also better!

Each in their own way.

Just dont get carried away with either extreme. A little smaller would be nice. A little bigger would be nice in other ways. ANY change is fun just because its a change. And annoying for the same reason, but well get over it.

Someone noted that the trend of bigger screens is only in LTE models: those Android phones need massive batteries to run early LTE. How do you get away with a massive battery? People wouldnt tolerate a thick phone, but increasing the screen allows a wider battery very nicely. Non-LTE phones, even brand-new models, havent jumped on the big screen trend. It will be interesting to watch Android LTE phones shrink again when battery issues are resolved. Some will remain large, but its hardly a necessity, and in many ways a bigger screen is a bad thing.

Apple is waitingI sincerely hopeuntil LTE can be just as pocketable as 3G was.

And Id never want an Android-style screen thats big but poor quality! 3.5 retina is awesome.
post #12 of 168
There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.
post #13 of 168
I wonder what will be in ios 6 more then the next iphone, i wouldnt mind a slightly bigger 3.7 screen and aluminum back like the ipad, but im in no rush to get rid of my 4s
post #14 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

I'll be buying if only for LTE, though begrudgingly if the screen is less than 4". I need the hotspot capability. I do hope they don't drip-feed us, waiting another year to ++screen_size.

One problem with edge-to-edge is that your hand wraps over the face a few mm, which gives little margin for a larger screen with the current form factor.
post #15 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

There is no way I am upgrading unless I really like the name they give it.

You will really like "the new iPhone"
post #16 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Thanks, but I will stick with my 2+ year old iPhone-4.

Every year I say I won't upgrade, and yet I am compelled to do so when the new version arrives.
So, here is my annual "I will not upgrade" speech.

I pre-ordered the new iPad, and I am in love with the speed over my old first generation.
The LTE speed feels like wifi to me.
With the speed of that device, and the fact that I use it instead of my phone for most email and web browsing, I cannot justify a new phone, just to get LTE on it.

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.
From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!
post #17 of 168
Call me crazy but I like the 3.5" screen size. It works well with one hand. When I need a bigger screen I use my iPad.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #18 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.

Ditto: standard attire for me is Levis 501. I can't imagine cargo pants coming back in style. Or maybe the man purse. Phone holster.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #19 of 168
This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone. Then for apps that aren't updated to the new display, they could show as



or for apps that have top/bottom bars with a scroll view in the middle, they can scale

post #20 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Exactly. I want a 4 to 4.5 inch screen on the next iPhone. I don't want something as huge as some of the new Android phones, but I definitely want something in the 4 to 4.5 inch range. A 4 inch iPhone could be perfect.
post #21 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

I don't think 4.5" is realistic, that's getting to be a mini tablet. I would like a larger screen, I like a slightly larger physical screen real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

It would be nice to have a bit bigger screen but I do not want anything larger than the current form factor in my pants pocket.

I think about comments I've seen like this, then I also remember that I've seen plenty of young girls, even without purses, that seem to have no problem dealing with a larger phone.
post #22 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think about comments I've seen like this, then I also remember that I've seen plenty of young girls, even without purses, that seem to have no problem dealing with a larger phone.

Easy since it is always up to their ear or in two hands while txting

They never ever put them in their front pockets.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 168
I think that this is the "upgraded version of the old iPhone 4S" that Apple will continue to make available at $100 lower after a thinner, 4-inch "The new iPhone" is introduced in the Fall. (The iPhone 4 will be made available for $99, and 3s will be gone.)
post #24 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

This is how I imagine the next-gen iPhone will work. A 4.5" screen at 1280x720 would have the exact same pixel density as the current iPhone. Then for apps that aren't updated to the new display, they could show as

or for apps that have top/bottom bars with a scroll view in the middle, they can scale

I don't think scaling or a new screen ratio is necessary. They can go 10% larger per pixel and still fit their definition of retina display. Their current definition says 300ppi is "retina", the current model is roughly 330ppi.
post #25 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.
From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles

Keep in mind that most of the longer recharge time is due to the display on the new iPad, not LTE. My iPad is wifi, but yes, it takes much longer to recharge than my iPad 2. Though we're getting more or less the same amount of battery life per charge, due to the needs of the retina display, the battery in the new iPad is significantly more powerful than the battery in the iPad 2. Since the iPhone already has a retina display, a larger form factor wouldn't be as much of a hit on battery needs as the change we experienced with the iPad.
post #26 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that this is the "upgraded version of the old iPhone 4S" that Apple will continue to make available at $100 lower after a thinner, 4-inch "The new iPhone" is introduced in the Fall. (The iPhone 4 will be made available for $99, and 3s will be gone.)

This is exactly what I'm expecting. I'll be disappointed if the new iPhone sticks to the same 3.5 inch screen. I never felt compelled to upgrade to an iPhone 4S simply because my iPhone 4 is still an excellent device. I'm really hoping for a compelling reason to upgrade. For many, that'll be LTE. For me, it's all about the screen.
post #27 of 168
If the screen rumor came from the same source as the dock connector rumor then it's all complete bullshit. No way Apple will change the dock connector and alienate billions of already sold accessories for the "i" line. One thing that keeps people buying idevices is the amount of stuff they have that works with them.

Do you really think someone will keep buying an iPhone if they have to buy a $600 speaker dock all over again. Some people just don't think. The reason Apple chose the proprietary dock connector in the first place is so they can freely adapt it's connectivity to any new standard they want to without having to modify the idevices.

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply

2011 13" Core i5 Macbook Pro | Intel 520 SSD | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 | OSX 10.7
iPhone 4S - AT&T

iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Reply
post #28 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

How is this a rumor? Is this not common sense?

It is if you follow the rumor sites.

But I do think this will be one of the hardest iPhones to guess specs for in a while. 4G is obvious, but what else? 1GB ram maybe? Lower clocked A5X? It already has Retina. It already has Siri. Maybe a new Apple maps app?
post #29 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

There is no way I am upgrading if it is less than 4". I want a bigger screen (ideally 4.5+) in the same form factor.

Same here. I am not upgrading to another iPhone with a screen less than 4". If the next iPhone has a 3.5" screen I will check out Android and Windows phones available at the time and make the switch.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Reply
post #30 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think scaling or a new screen ratio is necessary. They can go 10% larger per pixel and still fit their definition of retina display. Their current definition says 300ppi is "retina", the current model is roughly 330ppi.

The point isn't to have something that qualifies as "Retina". The point is to have something where widgets and other elements appear to be physically the exact same size. Either this requires rescaling all art assets at non-integral values (something they explicitly decided against with the pixel-doubling design) or keeping the resolution density exactly the same.
post #31 of 168
Apples in for a surprise if the next IPhone only had a 3.5 inch screen. Sales will be hurt big time as many people will choose to keep their Iphone4 or 3s and not upgrade
post #32 of 168
If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).
post #33 of 168
I do think they need to increase the screen size. No, they don't need the ridiculous monster Android screens, but a 4"or so in a slightly bigger form factor would be good thing. The extra real estate really does help. In line with Steve Jobs' 5 years ahead comment 5 years ago, I do think they will go for some significant change beyond shape or internal upgrades. Screen size would be the ideal one, along with LTE
post #34 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

Every year I say I won't upgrade, and yet I am compelled to do so when the new version arrives.
So, here is my annual "I will not upgrade" speech.

I pre-ordered the new iPad, and I am in love with the speed over my old first generation.
The LTE speed feels like wifi to me.
With the speed of that device, and the fact that I use it instead of my phone for most email and web browsing, I cannot justify a new phone, just to get LTE on it.

An LTE phone will require a denser battery.
From my iPad experience, I can tell you that this will result in much longer recharge cycles.

I find it hard to believe the next generation phone will be that much better than the iPhone4S!

And yet I suspect you won't be able to resist
post #35 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

If they bump up the screen size i won't even consider an upgrade from my 4S, till at least this current phone i own gets way too old to handle the apps or os (aprox 2-3 years).

Why do people want to use mini ipads near their ears is beyond my understanding. I've seen how fugly the Galaxy S II and the Note looks when held near the ear. Might aswell cut the BS and give the iPad a cell phone capability and go with that.

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

Moreover my one handed fingers reach any point of the screen very easily on the 3,5" display. Move over that and you have to seriously reposition the phone at the very extremities of the hand (dangerous) or use both hands (not useful sometimes).

You don't think Apple design team is capable of making a 4 " screen in a device that is far superior to the Galaxy crap. I can see them going edge to edge and shrinking the top and bottom to get the larger size in the same or very slightly larger form factor.
post #36 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

No one wants iPhone size increase. It is only about screen and getting rid of the home button (or moving it to side).
As I posted in the different thread:

Calculations show that by making display edge-to-edge wide (2 1/4 inches instead of just 2) and round-corner-to-round-corner long (4 inches instead of 3), the diagonal would be
square root of (4^2 + 2.25^2) = 4.58938994 which is in line with the previous rumor.

Without making screen width edge-to-edge the maximum for the current form factor is:

square root of (4^2 + 2^2) = 4.47213595
post #37 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... but I do hope they move to a 4" 3:2 display that fits into the same size casing.

Wouldn't that be really pushing it? I'd like the screen size to go up to 4", too, but I am not worried if the casing grows a little. A couple of mm's would be fine with me.
post #38 of 168
I sure hope they are wrong. I skipped the 4s because of the same screen size as the 4. If they don't make a larger screen I will probably convert the wife and myself to Android (we will both be out of contract then). She has a 3gs and I have a 4. I rarely use the iphone apps since getting an ipad 1, ipad 2, and now ipad 3. The only thing I would miss would be photo stream. I sure hope Apple realizes by now that a bigger screen is needed for the iphone.
post #39 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Call me crazy but I like the 3.5" screen size. It works well with one hand. When I need a bigger screen I use my iPad.

You're not crazy. The current screen size is just fine. All this talk about needing a bigger screen size is just something people complain about so that they have something to complain about.
post #40 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

IMHO a bigger cellphone (more than 3,5 inch in screen) look as terrible when someone talks on it, as the iPad looks when shooting videos or taking stills. Not cool at all !

I don't really notice anymore. But 'speaking on the phone' must be a small part of the average Phone experience these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Next-gen iPhone rumored to arrive in fall 2012 with LTE 4G, 3.5-inch screen